Type keyword(s) to search

Baked In Vermont - General Discussion

• Start Topic

From FN site: "Gesine Prado is an acclaimed pastry chef, home cook, and baking instructor, teaching regularly at King Arthur Flour, Stonewall Kitchen, and her own baking school in Hartford, Vermont: Sugar Glider Kitchen. The school is attached to her 18th century farmhouse where she lives with her husband, two dogs, two cats, one goose, three ducks and five chickens."

I've been enjoying this show. It's ratings are going up, so hopefully it will stay around awhile.

I am SO happy to see this forum because this is becoming my new favorite cooking show.  Love it love it love it.   The gorgeous bucolic setting, the relatable and mostly doable baking instructions, the very appealing Gesine with her confident techniques and fun personality...it’s just great stuff!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Has anyone tried that pie/cake thing she made for her husband's birthday?  I'm not much of a pie person so wondered how that might taste.

To be honest, it didn’t appeal to me — too much cream and that cartoon cake-wrap was just a step too ambitious for me to ever attempt (but it was cool for her purposes and totally in her wheelhouse).  

But I love this show — so glad to see a forum!

• Love 2

I love it too. I was talking about her in The Chew forum and how I stumbled on this show.  I was so surprised that a baking show with 13 full episodes appeared.  When is the last time this network had a new baking/cooking show that didn't feature a celeb or someone else who was a FN star?  And I was surprised at how much personality she had. 

She's a great teacher and I also like the flour tip---although after a lesson at a local bakery, I went out and bought a kitchen scale to measure ingredients like flour. 

1 minute ago, MerBearHou said:

To be honest, it didn’t appeal to me — too much cream and that cartoon cake-wrap was just a step too ambitious for me to ever attempt (but it was cool for her purposes and totally in her wheelhouse).

I'm not a big icing fan but I love cream/whipped cream so this is right up my alley.  I would skip the jaconde wrapper but I do wonder how the pastry works as a cake layer. 

2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I love it too. I was talking about her in The Chew forum and how I stumbled on this show.  I was so surprised that a baking show with 13 full episodes appeared.  When is the last time this network had a new baking/cooking show that didn't feature a celeb or someone else who was a FN star?  And I was surprised at how much personality she had. 

She's a great teacher and I also like the flour tip---although after a lesson at a local bakery, I went out and bought a kitchen scale to measure ingredients like flour. 

Well, Gesene is a celeb-adjacent baker — her sister is Sandra Bullock.  They sound alike!

5 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I would skip the jaconde wrapper but I do wonder how the pastry works as a cake layer. 

I wondered if the whipped cream and fruit would soften the pastry so it would be easier to cut.  Hopefully someone will try it and report back!

I just read Gesine’s Wikipedia page — oh my gosh, this woman is VERY accomplished.  UVA grad, lawyer, producer of several successful shows and films with her sister and husband — left it all to move to Vermont.  Author of 4 cookbooks.  

Had no idea when I stumbled upon this charming, interesting show.  Just liked her and liked the setting and got hooked!

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Well, Gesene is a celeb-adjacent baker — her sister is Sandra Bullock.  They sound alike!

Yep.  But I didn't know that when I first started watching the show.  I think I saw it mentioned in the FN Star forum.

• Love 1

I'm still not sure whether I like the show but I learn something new with every episode. I never realized that by rolling your pin over your dough and onto your work surface makes the edges thinner than the middle but it totally makes sense and I won't do it any more.

• Love 1

I think this might be one of those shows that I enjoy viewing but would probably not attempt the recipes. I would be happy to eat them if somebody else made them. That's how I felt about her cookbook.

I had no idea she had a famous sister, or anything about her, but I got hooked on watching this almost immediately. She's weird and quirky and a little dorky, in a supremely confidant way, and she's just fun to watch.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

I had no idea she had a famous sister, or anything about her, but I got hooked on watching this almost immediately. She's weird and quirky and a little dorky, in a supremely confidant way, and she's just fun to watch.

Totally agree!  I had no idea until reading on PTV who her sister is.  Initially just got hooked on the show and her and its cool setting and great baking atmosphere. 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 1

I had heard about the show over on the Pioneer Woman forum (snark at its finest) so thought I would give it a try. I had no idea she was related to anybody, I just like her smooth style.  And her flavor combos are so appropriate and sound so delicious.

• Love 4

I love this show.  I followed Gesine's tip for measuring flour the next time I baked cupcakes and it made an appreciable difference.

This show kind of has a "Barefoot Contessa" vibe to it with the scenery and gorgeous house.  I enjoy that we get to see Gesine and her husband without her overly doting on him. Her careful preparation for his birthday was touching without being OTT.

Does FN produce this show? My DVR always cuts off before the final credits but I suspect it isn't. If it's an FN-generated show, I'm surprised they haven't asked Gesine to trot out Sandra and the nephews. (Don't laugh. They got Trisha to drag Garth Brooks on for an episode or two.)  I did some reading (well, Wikipedia) and Gesine is an attorney and she has been in film producing and directing. Her husband is a also in the entertainment biz.

That is good news that there are 13 episodes. I kind of thought last weekend was it because I think we'd hit Episode #6.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, grisgris said:

That is good news that there are 13 episodes. I kind of thought last weekend was it because I think we'd hit Episode #6.

I sure hope there are 13. My cable doesn't list anything upcoming in the next couple of weeks.  And there isn't anything listed as upcoming the Food Network website.

Edited by Kohola3

Mind = blown by the fact that the host is Sandra Bullock's sister.  I don't know why that feels important now, but it does, haha.  I must raise a lone voice of dissent here: I really don't like her personality.  There's something about her that I find off-putting.  Maybe it's leftover disgust after the dump-and-stir amateur hour shitfest that is Pioneer Woman.  Whatever it is, I'm trying to push past it and focus on her obviously formidable baking skills.  I'll keep watching until I figure it out.  

17 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I sure hope there are 13. My cable doesn't list anything upcoming in the next couple of weeks.  And there isn't anything listed as upcoming the Food Network website.

That's my fault. I thought there would be 13 because that's the traditional length many of their seasons of cooking shows.  But I guess I should have looked.  Bummer that there were only 6 and it's over already.

6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That's my fault. I thought there would be 13 because that's the traditional length many of their seasons of cooking shows.  But I guess I should have looked.  Bummer that there were only 6 and it's over already.

When Amy Thielen's show was cancelled, I sent Food Network an e-mail urging that the series be renewed because it was worthwhile & fun to watch -- no response (not even a canned one) & no more shows.  So I hold out no hope for any different result here.

However, Food Network did enable me to learn about Amy Thielen's cookbook & blog, both of which I continue to enjoy.  Genise Prado has those things too & I've bookmarked her blog & ordered one of her books from my branch library. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I just read some of Gesine’s comments on her charming FB page — she says she has her fingers and toes crossed for a 2nd season but has no idea yet.  C’mon, Food Network, sign her up pronto!

• Love 2

I thought the cake with the Dartmouth "D" hidden inside was incredibly clever, and I would never in a million years figured out how she did it had I not watched her make it. Has anyone ever tried something like that? 

6 hours ago, J-Man said:

Has anyone ever tried something like that? 

No, but I might for a special occasion now that I know how.  Maybe at Christmas with little trees.  I wonder if I could make it work with tiny trees in regular cake mix.

Edited by Kohola3
On 1/10/2018 at 0:23 PM, Irlandesa said:

Don’t blame yourself. Food Network always does a 6 episode first season as opposed to scripted 13 from other networks.

• Love 1

Would it do any good to contact the network?  I know it hasn't in the past but it wouldn't take a minute to drop a note. It's not like they did a lot of marketing for the show. I never would have seen it except for the exceptional snarkers on the Pioneer Woman forum!  

Good luck with emailing the FN.  I've emailed them many times (positive ones about shows I've appreciated, plus one question).  I still have never had a reply, not even for the question when I requested a reply.  If the FN wants new viewers and even schedules shows that appeal to other age groups, you would think that they would be more sensitive to feedback from their present viewers. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, rocketinu said:

What was the flour measuring tip - missed it.

There's probably video somewhere but basically, don't just dig or scoop your measuring cup into your flour container. That packs it in and really equals to more than a cup (or whatever size measurement you are using.) instead, use a spoon and spoon the flour into your measuring cup and then lightly level off the top when full. She also showed this technique on The Kitchen so you might find video on her blog or on BIV or TK.

I love the tips and really enjoyed the show. Want more!

King Arthur Flour has a video that also recommends scooping (they recommend, ahem, fluffing the flour in the container even before scooping. Can't remember if Gesine showed that or not). My baking got better when I saw that a few years ago but I am still sticking with my kitchen scale, which may yield even better results and means fewer things to wash in the end. But it's good to have a backup method for when I want to use a measuring cup. Actually, I might have picked it up the tip about flour from my favorite cookbook, Joanne Chang's Flour. 

I loved watching her work, because way back when when I first started watching cooking shows (like Galloping Gourmet and Julia Child as a child), my skills got better just from watching trained chefs doing things right. I always appreciated that.  Because of Baked in Vermont I watched some of the other shows Saturday morning and...they really need more like Baked in Vermont. Caught a snippet of Sara Mouton on someone's PBS show the other morning and I almost wept watching the easy competence and knowledge. And I'm not  a snob at all.  I better write Food Network, huh? 

• Love 4

Don't bother writing Food Network about Sara Moulton, they fired her years ago because she wasn't "exciting".  People like her & Ellie Krieger are better off with PBS, where the audiences appreciate their skills.  Maybe Gesine Prado will end up there too, she'd fit right in.

Genise's ratings went up every week she was on. I think they were decent enough for another season. FN doesn't care what a few people think,. they care about ratings that bring in the ad dollars. I'll be surprised if she's not renewed.

• Love 1

I saw a wonderful, long how-to video with Gesine on Facebook yesterday. It was delightful. She was going into very great detail on baking a joconde and her husband Ray was the videographer. She took questions and answered them along the way — her husband was so funny even though we never saw him. The best part about the video was that she hinted, wink wink, that a second season looked promising. Keep your fingers crossed!  She is a gem — very bright, very talented, lots of fun.

• Love 3

Darian, you could always write to her and ask about being an audience member on a show.  I'd think she'd have lots of requests like that, but maybe she has a waiting list.  If you do get in, you'll have to promise to give the rest of us a full report!  :)

I've cooked and baked for years, and I especially enjoy baking, but sometimes this show is useless to me because of the difficulty of some of her "gimmicky" recipes.  I won't be baking a cake with an initial inside it nor the cake/pie thing.  I would much rather learn techniques that would improve the quality of baking cakes, pies, cookies, etc.  She does offer tips, which I appreciate, but I'd like to learn even more.  Ina Garten has made fantastic desserts over the course of her run, everything from simple to elegant and fit for the finest guests, but they are not complicated and don't take hours to make.  She's my kind of baker.

• Love 1

Gesine Prado Returns For Season 2 on Saturday, May 5th at 10:30am ET/PT on Food Network

In the premiere episode Gesine and her husband Ray display their new-found love for the sport of curling, as Gesine makes her famous Baker’s Roast Chicken with a side of Beer Gravy for the local curling team, along with Green Beans in Creamy Horseradish Sauce and Rock Scones.  In another episode Gesine and her high school friends celebrate the memories of a class trip to Italy by preparing an Italian feast of Bolognese Lasagne, a Caprese Salad and a very special Zabaglione and Berry Trifle, with a side of Chocolate Chip Cookies.  And late spring in Vermont can only mean one thing--maple syrup--a perfect ingredient for recipes, whether sweet or savory, as Gesine bakes up a big brunch for Ray’s family, with Maple-Glazed Bundt Cake on tap, along with a Sunrise Biscuit Casserole and Maple Flower Cookies.

• Love 1

Ahhhhh. How delightful she is, although we didn't have Ruthie on this episode. I loved her tip of putting instant potato flakes into the cinnamon bun dough. Has anyone ever done that? And I will attempt the chicken pot pie. It looked wonderful! I am not a huge chocolate fan but hers looked good, but too much for me. Welcome back, sweet baker girl! We've missed you and Raymo!

1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

I loved her tip of putting instant potato flakes into the cinnamon bun dough. Has anyone ever done that?

I haven't but I definitely will.  I, too, love soft cinnamon rolls.  The ones I've had from bakeries are too dense and chewy.  I'll have to try it out.  Great to have her back.

• Love 1

I don't see myself ever making homemade cinnamon rolls but I appreciated the tip for using instant mashed potato flakes in the dough. (Bonus: We didn't have to see/hear about the "typewriter technique" while Gesine was rolling up the rolls.)

Also, blooming gelatin over a shallow flat surface area makes sense.  No wonder I was always getting clumps and lumps by using a regular bowl or saucepan.

What did I learn from Ree? If you chill cookie dough before baking it then the cookies won't spread too much in the oven. Duh ... I learned that in middle school home ec back in the 70s.

Happy to see that we're getting 10 new episodes!

• Love 3

I just copied the cinnamon crumble recipe from the FN website and one little detail about the mashed potato flakes that didn't make it to the show - the instructions say "pulsed fine in a food processor".  Not sure how much difference it would make but thought I'd mention it.