Type keyword(s) to search

Previous Episodes Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Nothing beyond S02.E15 in here please. See forum for individual episode topics from S02.E16 onwards.

• Start Topic

It was. I like the “pour until you think of something bad” game. Zoe has good friends. She’ll be fine.

I am a staunch, firm believer in zero contact post-breakup (where possible. Obviously if you have kids you have to talk). It’s the best way to get past it. Unfollow, no calls, texts, emails, etc. You have to get used to being without the person. 

Are the incest jokes creepy to anyone else?

• Love 9

While I agree with 99% of the advice that Zoey got from her friends, I am a firm believer in not deleting people from my contacts. My reasoning is this: if the other person ever calls or texts me, I will see that it’s Ex-Boyfriend or whoever, rather than some random phone number (because let’s face it - who memorized anyone’s phone number anymore?) and then spend the next hour trying to figure out everyone I know from that area code.

I know the point of deleting an ex from your phone is so that you aren’t tempted to call or text one drunken night, but I prefer to keep that info in the event that they try to call or text me!

• Love 4

Before my last phone passed away in a tragic toilet accident, I had my exes numbers saved as all the names Bart Simpson pranked Moe’s Tavern with...Hugh Jass, I.P. Freely, etc. Some numbers I just plain blocked.

I didn’t love this episode, but I did laugh at one of the twins questioning whether or not Cash had a kit in his hair because I was silently wondering the same thing.

• Love 3

It may be because angst over breakups is dragging Supergirl right now but I never need to see another plotline about someone wallowing in a break up ever again. I don't care about how realistic it is. It's just never interesting to me as plotline. I'm just always ready to move past it. I know the character is to but just mean as the viewer I don't need it. They could give cliff notes to all that and skip over it. I would be fine.

• Love 2

I think Zoe's wallow is pretty justified, not only because break ups suck, but also because shes still pretty young, and hasn't really dealt with many break ups yet. I can understand why it hit so hard, although I am now ready for her to move on. I thought this was a sweet episode, and it was great seeing her friends support her so much. The "pour until you say something bad about Cash" game was fun. 

I lost it when Vivek was flashing back to crying while doing weights to a Bruno Mars song. It wouldn't surprise me if that was something that has happened more than once in real life. 

Speaking of, I remember Black Out hookups back in college! I was never into it (college me was usually making up drinking games to Disney songs with my friends) but I do remember that being a thing, usually courtesy of blizzards we got a lot! 

• Love 3
On 2/8/2018 at 1:25 PM, tennisgurl said:

I think Zoe's wallow is pretty justified, not only because break ups suck, but also because shes still pretty young, and hasn't really dealt with many break ups yet. I can understand why it hit so hard, although I am now ready for her to move on. I thought this was a sweet episode, and it was great seeing her friends support her so much. The "pour until you say something bad about Cash" game was fun. 

I lost it when Vivek was flashing back to crying while doing weights to a Bruno Mars song. It wouldn't surprise me if that was something that has happened more than once in real life. 

Speaking of, I remember Black Out hookups back in college! I was never into it (college me was usually making up drinking games to Disney songs with my friends) but I do remember that being a thing, usually courtesy of blizzards we got a lot! 

Never said it wasn't justified. I said I don't want tk see it. I'm just dragged out on character mourning periods in the shows. They found a way to make it more interesting. It just still does nothing for me. A lot of it has to do with the fact that onscreen couplings are often too rushed for me to care as much as shows want me to.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 1
On 1/18/2018 at 6:26 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm not surprised that she hadn't done drugs in high school. I was just surprised that she had a very Just Say No attitude about drugs with the slippery slope, especially considering that she took Junior to a party where their classmates were drinking and doing drugs and she had a very casual attitude about it at the time. If I recall correctly, she told Junior to calm down because it was no big deal. I have no doubt that she knew some of her private school classmates were taking the same kind of drugs she was shown taking in this episode, so it seems like a retcon that she's so against them now.

I don't believe she wrote a 25 page research paper in 1 night (along with doing whatever she did for her fashion project).  Where was the research?  I thought the punchline was going to be that what she thought was a brilliantly written paper under the influence of the Adderall was actually garbage, and that she had also let down her fashion-design partner,

It must be all the partying that's holding her back, because so far, we only know she has a politics? class, a fashion class, and the ridiculous drone class. Even if she has s 4th class, that doesn't seem like too much work. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
On 1/28/2018 at 2:12 PM, DearEvette said:

They seemed to have Suddenly Luca is just her friend again and we seem to have completely forgotten she was all into Aaron.

Perhaps now that they know she's a virgin, their interest has waned.

At least we found out that Zoey also takes a math class.

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I noticed only one of the guys the had been seeing at the same time showed up. He's usually part of her friend group, so leaving him out even when they found a way to bring Vivek in... I really noticed his absence.

Aaron and Luka don't get along. Even if Luka had shown up, he wouldn't have stayed with Aaron there.  Plus, he's always asking Zoey why she cares about what others think. He probably wouldn't have patience for her wallowing, either.

I'm surprised that none of the girls (maybe Nomi) mentioned when they were dissing Cash that he broke up with her shortly after she finally slept with him.

Will skipping classes for 3 weeks have any affect on Zoey's grades?  Will she ever wash her hair?

What's a Taki?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Yes, this made me laugh harder than it probably should have!

3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Will skipping classes for 3 weeks have any affect on Zoey's grades?  Will she ever wash her hair?

What's a Taki?

It depends on what classes she's taking and what their grades are based on. I had many classes in college where the only factors in our grade were one midterm, one paper, and the final exam. That's it. If the midterm and final were based solely upon the assigned reading, then you didn't really need to attend class in order to get an A. I had other classes where the midterm and final were based almost entirely on what was in lecture so those were the classes that I made sure I never missed.

Math and science classes are hard to miss because they usually have homework or lab work that has to be turned in every week. I had to miss a week of school when my sister had an accident so I ended up having to drop calculus because it was too much work to make up for a 5 unit class.

If she's taking any kind of class the requires participation (like a foreign language) then missing three weeks would probably be too much to salvage her grade.

It also depends on whether her school is on semester or quarters. Semesters are looooooooong, so there's a better chance that she could catch up and still pass her classes. Quarters, on the other hand, are only ten weeks long so missing three weeks would almost definitely kill her grades.

Takis are hot chips.

• Love 4

That was especially hilarious for me, because my sister and I just had this whole conversation with my dad about how he is always liking things on Facebook, even when its really stupid things. "I like to show people that I read their thoughts!" "Dad, you confirmed that you approve of that post our 4th cousin put about how all immigrants have head lice!" 

Great episode! It was nice seeing Zoe learning a lesson, while not having her whole internship ruined. She is super lucky her boss was forgiving and didn't kick her out right away. I mean, Zoe's clothes are awesome, but still. 

Nomi hates Anna Kendrick? Girl, you got problems. I loved the gang struggling with their social media lives, and they all seemed pretty realistic, just taken to an extreme. Cracked up at everyone listening to a song together, and waiting to see what Songza said the song was in rapt attention. 

• Love 1

I wonder if Zoey likes Willow Smith so much, because he kind of reminds her of her uncle (not in a gross way)?  Otherwise, he just seems like a character that gets handed everything because of his "cool" factor.

I am waiting for him to bring up how people are competing to fund his collection for Fashion Week...kind of like a reverse Project Runway.

This episode was very funny. The pace was good.

When Zoey took the picture I actually looked at the clothes behind her and wondered if they were not important and should be posted on social media.

Edited by clyo22
added a thought

Loved that Vivek found the twins' "secret" Instagram account. Girls, if that's your super secret account, then make it private! Honestly, I don't see having two accounts to be a problem so that you can have a public one for business purposes and another one that's personal stuff/for friends & family. If anything, it's smart. so that you don't have to share everything in your personal life publicly.

• Love 1

Throw away the pills Zoe! Good for you! Zoe can be pretty self centered, but she was a good friend this week, and I totally felt her frustration with every conversation she had with Vivek. Speaking of, Vivek is mostly comic relief on this show, but the dude has some serious issues with self worth. Hopefully at least he stops with the coke dealing. This is NOT going to end well. 

"As the great Whitney said, crack is wack!" "Is over the counter the name of the brand?" 

I think I actually like this show more than Black-ish at this point. Probably because I actually like the main character, while Dre has become a ridiculously self obsessed man baby who treats his family like they only exist to make him feel better. 

• Love 10
On 2/28/2018 at 9:03 PM, Dee said:

"I'm sorry we said you look like a dehydrated Leslie Jones"

I can't with this show!

“We said a lot of things after you left.”

”Yeah We went on a run.”

• Love 4

I wish there was a realization that this group of friends isn't helping Vivek's issues. They treat him like the joke of the group. He got put in the hospital and they were to busy with their own shit to care. I know half the group was sick but they probably would have done the same thing anyway.

• Love 2

Not many of us posting on this show.  I really like the show.

Wow I didn't know that Zoe was still doing the pills.  I like that problems aren't solved in 22 minutes like other shows it shows more realism.

Vivek character, while true, is disheartening.  I think coming up from a blue collar family is more impressive than someone who's parents are footing the bill.  I can't believe he didn't see that the rich kids were using him.  The beating is the life of someone dealing/using drugs.  I went to college in the 80s so I guess I would have thought that today's teens would have learned our lessons.  I guess some lessons go over generations.

Love the twins, love the 2 other boys and laughed at how the Dean is the one who spread the sickness.  The whole bird thing is pretty gross though.  Would that be the bird flu?

• Love 2

This was a tough episode to watch. I’m glad Zoey was a friend to the end. While I can excuse the others who were sick, the friends who were ok but didn’t come to the hospital left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 1
On 3/3/2018 at 12:36 PM, luna1122 said:

I absolutely prefer this show to blackish now. It's more real, more raw, more gritty, more witty. And genuinely funny. And blessedly no ruby. 

The Wilmore effect!

• Love 1

I was in tears through this entire episode.

However, major points subtracted for having an episode focused on colorism with no dark skinned characters, except as punchlines for jokes.

• Love 3
(edited)
18 hours ago, Dee said:

However, major points subtracted for having an episode focused on colorism with no dark skinned characters, except as punchlines for jokes.

They weren't being used as a joke. They were being used to illustrate a point. And I like that everyone didn't magically change their way of thinking by the end.

I couldn't imagine sitting a party bitching about ain't shit dudes the whole night though. Fuck em. Have fun with your friends after a certain point. Rejection from women has always been a way of life for me in the club. Being a overweight guy makes it hard out there. But, I try not to let it bust up my night. 

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 5

This episode hit some hard truths for me, but I thought it was well done, overall.  I love Zoey, but I did not even miss her not being in this one all that much,...the twins really held it down.

2 hours ago, Dee said:

I thought the twins would be more in the "exotic" category, when they were making the list.  I guess Zoey would be in that category as well since in real life the actress is mixed and on the show she is supposed to be 1/4th white.

• Love 4

Definitely hit some hard truths but I was glad they were brave enough to go there. And sorry to tell the twins but it gets harder after college. Meeting people in general gets harder after college, and "the list" remains real.

• Love 11

I watched this on my phone while waiting on a car check up, and when Vivek realized all the girls Aaron dated looked like his mom, while Aaron looked absolutely shocked, I snickered so loudly the lady across the aisle looked at me funny. I really love this show, it’s hitting a good balance between comedy and talking about real issues (like “the list”) in a way that seems natural. Plus the actors are really jelling well together, especially now that they’ve given more time to the supporting cast. 

• Love 8

Black guys in college have to be careful dating black girls in college (this applies to smaller colleges more so than larger ones) because there really aren't that many black people there percentage-wise. The likelihood the guy and girl have the same friends is also very high, gossip will be rampant, along with the possibility of losing friends, reputation and some embarrassing secrets (personal, physical, and fetish). In small college towns the population might be even less racially diverse than campus. This should apply to any minorities that are a small percentage of the college population.

(edited)
18 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Definitely hit some hard truths but I was glad they were brave enough to go there. And sorry to tell the twins but it gets harder after college. Meeting people in general gets harder after college, and "the list" remains real.

I was happy they used the OkCupid data blog. That thing is no joke, but they let it lie fallow for 5 or 6 years. 

https://theblog.okcupid.com/tagged/data

I have to laugh at Aaron's Oedipus Complex. How could he miss that? It was waaaay too obvious. 

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3

I had my first traumatic breakup around the same time (actually summer before soph year).  So much of her reaction rang true, especially when you lose your virginity to the guy and he seems to be bouncing right back.  SO GRATEFUL social media didn't exist because I was already a mess knowing he was dating someone else.  

The last scene of them all dancing to a song really reminded me of the goofy friends I had then.  We would make parodies of songs and someone would create a dance routine.  Ah, good times.  I'm glad she's got friends like this.

I'm assuming 3 weeks is a hyperbole because in my college we had quarters so 3 weeks was basically 1/3 of your entire class- no matter what you were screwed.  

• Love 1
On 3/8/2018 at 10:52 PM, possibilities said:

I hated Mr CoolFace schooling Zoey on How Art Happens.

Same. I also hated that he destroyed what she had made without telling her first. You do realize that you can make a second piece WITHOUT putting the first one in the trash, right?

Fine, he has a different creative process. But forcing Zoey to be part of it by driving around all night was kind of rude. She’s not your free unlimited Lyft all over town, man. 

I get that the show was telling us that everyone needs to be more openminded and not so set in their ways whether it’s dating or working on a group project but it annoyed me that Zoey was expected to try his method but he didn’t have to try hers. 

• Love 13

I went to a college near West Point.  It was common for freshmen girls to date guys who were older than they; sometimes the girls left college to get married, sometimes they'd break up, sometimes they'd wait.  I went to a wedding of a classmate who was engaged to her fiancee for two and a half years, but they got married and 38 years later, I believe they're still married.   My roommate didn't wait, she dropped out of college to get married, at the time I asked her why and she didn't feel college was for her.  However, when I was in college, it was doable on a working class salary, today it's barely doable on a middle class salary.  If I were Zoe's mom, I would have told her that if Cash truly loved her, they'd get engaged and WAIT until Zoe finished college; if Cash didn't want to do that, that would prove he really didn't love Zoe in the first place.  

As for Zoe having sex; when I was in college (in the late 1970's) most of the girls in my dorm were on the Pill.  

• Love 2
On March 8, 2018 at 8:24 AM, Empress1 said:

Just watched this.  Glad that the show was brave enough to go there as well.  It's like people want girls who look black but who aren't black?  I liked that the black women were basically saying the problem wasn't THEM, and that I liked that there weren't any quick solutions.  But the first step in recovery is admitting that there's a problem.  

I liked the twins' conversation/argument.  No one questions when black men date white women, but when black women go out with white men, that's a PROBLEM.  And when she asked the black man why he's with white women, he says, "because I can," and then they all had a good conversation the next day.  

On March 7, 2018 at 10:40 PM, Racj82 said:

I couldn't imagine sitting a party bitching about ain't shit dudes the whole night though. Fuck em. Have fun with your friends after a certain point. Rejection from women has always been a way of life for me in the club. Being a overweight guy makes it hard out there. But, I try not to let it bust up my night. 

All the twins wanted was to have the same college experience as a white or Latina woman.  And I don't think anything is wrong with that.  

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Just watched this.  Glad that the show was brave enough to go there as well.  It's like people want girls who look black but who aren't black?  I liked that the black women were basically saying the problem wasn't THEM, and that I liked that there weren't any quick solutions.  But the first step in recovery is admitting that there's a problem.  

I liked the twins' conversation/argument.  No one questions when black men date white women, but when black women go out with white men, that's a PROBLEM.  And when she asked the black man why he's with white women, he says, "because I can," and then they all had a good conversation the next day.  

All the twins wanted was to have the same college experience as a white or Latina woman.  And I don't think anything is wrong with that.  

Never said there was anything  wrong with that. What I said was I wouldn't  let it fuck up my whole night. Basically,  I wouldn't have had that conversation  or staged the topic literally  in the club for most of the night. I've had these discussions  before. Shit is real. I have a friend that literally  never  realized he only dates light skinned women until recently.

But, I'm glad the discussion was had and it felt genuine.  I also think it was very much on purpose to have Zoey away from all this since she is physical ideal black woman for a lot of people. It' not her fault but this isn' her fight is all I'll say.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, doram said:

The episode would have been much better if the twins were actually dark-skinned black girls and not girls that, hair aside, have the same ambiguous bone structure, and arguably lighter skin than Zoey. So it was just eye-rolling that the show wanted to talk about how dark-skinned black women are ignored and at the 'bottom of the list' and still not actually cast dark-skinned black women in the show.

I agree with this because I felt the twins were nearly the same complexion as the girls Aaron was attracted to. 

The list was interesting because when I was in college (in the late 70's), Asian women would not be as high up as white women, and Hispanic women might not even register.  When I was in college, most of the white men were into women who looked like Farrah Fawcett/Cheryl Tiegs.  I had a roommate who was half Asian, half white and the white men wouldn't look at her twice.  I had a roommate who was Afro-Latina who realized the white men weren't checking for her.  She married a black man.

• Love 2