Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Grown-ish

Recommended Posts

On March 9, 2019 at 6:36 PM, UNOSEZ said:

Well the boyfriend was in a kimono and boxers with a blunt behind his ears and basically admitted to living in the apt that drew is helping pay for all while Zoe is cheating on exams and getting put on academic probation... Still he wasn't too over the top with Luca who seemed to have no situational awareness during the whole thing

On March 9, 2019 at 10:49 PM, Sheenieb said:

You'd think ol' boy would've put on a shirt and apologized to Dre for meeting him under these circumstances, but since Luca is too cool for school and apparently has zero home training, he was nonchalant.

Thank you! I was beginning to think I was all alone in this! My head nearly exploded when Mr "too cool for school" Luca came strolling into the room in his kimono and underwear, blunt behind his ear, like it was no big deal. Dude, this is your girlfriend's father and grandfather that you're meeting for the first time; show some damned respect, put some clothes on, and act like you know that you're the most junior man in the room right now.

Please help me Show. I'm liking this boy less and less with each episode, and I'm not sure that was your intention.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/1/2019 at 10:50 PM, Dee said:

Very true.

But her increase in partying doesn't make her a bad student, just a normal (occasionally irresponsible) kid. Many students party too much during the first couple of years of college. It's a normal phase of life just like the Freshman 15 or some potential students deciding to take gap years.

Totally normal. Your first taste of freedom, you're living among your friends and peers with no supervision, it's easy to lean into the social side and let the academics slide for awhile. Especially when it's classes outside your major/focus that you don't like and don't feel you'll ever use. Hard to turn down a big party to study a subject that's boring and feels irrelevant. 

It doesn't mean she'll fail out of school or waste her entire educational opportunity, it might just mean a bad semester or two and maybe some hard work later to make up for it. 

Quote

I think cutting her budget would be fine-- tell her that she has to meet certain benchmarks, do X amount of paid hourly work at some job or other, and put whatever restrictions on her that the parents think Zoey should have, to redeem herself. The instant "you're totally cut off" thing is what seemed ridiculous to me. And also, I don't like that Dre was scandalized by the presence of a boyfriend. Be pissed about the cheating, sure. But he really doesn't have any grounds to object to  her social life, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, considering that the reason she cheated on her exam was because her social life got in the way, he does have grounds to object.

As for her lifestyle, part of me finds it REALLY rich that the lecture is coming from the guy who has an entire closet devoted to expensive sneakers that he only wears once, but since he and Bow worked to make that shoe money, it's different.

That apartment is crazy luxurious for a college kid, but didn't they know where she was living before this? I think his freakout was motivated by Luca more than anything else, which doesn't surprise me either. Remember the Andre from Marseilles episode of Black-ish? He's never going to be okay with anyone Zoey brings home. 

One of my favorite bits of this episode was Zoey pretending Luca had hearing loss and Dre just losing it. It's been interesting to see the less than perfect sides to Zoey and to see Dre actually mad at her for once.

Quote

Doug and Jazz finally broke up?  Thank goodness.  If we can cut that braid off the back of Aaron's head, all will be right with the show... aside from whatever nonsense Nomi and her professor are up to.

New to this forum, is hating Doug a popular opinion? He's the one character I couldn't stand from the first intro. I don't even know why, he just bugs me.

I can't believe I completely wrote this show off a doomed-to-fail spinoff attempt, I just watched the entire thing in one weekend. It's so much more entertaining to me than Black-ish has been the last few seasons and I love that they really spun off into Zoey's world entirely and hardly have any crossovers from the original show. It seems like they included Charlie at the beginning to hedge their bets, but then limited his time when it was clear that the show worked on its own.

ETA: reading back in the thread since I just discovered the show:

Quote

Zoey has always done extremely well in school. Her parents have never had to worry about her post-high school plans the way they have with Jack, or needed to accommodate an impulsive gap year the way they have with Junior.

The only reason Rainbow appealed to Diane, at the time, is because her overly needy ass felt she could make inroads with her younger daughter, because her older daughter didn't want to associate with her.

Diane may be unfailingly 'precocious,' and Junior may be a giant ball of nerd cliches, but Zoey has been the Johnson family star.

Bow was very worried about Zoey not getting into school at all. She was concerned about her college essay and SATs and at one point thought Zoey might end up going into the army for lack of anything else to do. So I don't get the impression that her high school years were a huge academic success, but certainly a social success. She seemed to be the most popular and socially skilled of the group, but not the smartest.

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Totally normal. Your first taste of freedom, you're living among your friends and peers with no supervision, it's easy to lean into the social side and let the academics slide for awhile. Especially when it's classes outside your major/focus that you don't like and don't feel you'll ever use. Hard to turn down a big party to study a subject that's boring and feels irrelevant. 

It doesn't mean she'll fail out of school or waste her entire educational opportunity, it might just mean a bad semester or two and maybe some hard work later to make up for it. 

Well, considering that the reason she cheated on her exam was because her social life got in the way, he does have grounds to object.

As for her lifestyle, part of me finds it REALLY rich that the lecture is coming from the guy who has an entire closet devoted to expensive sneakers that he only wears once, but since he and Bow worked to make that shoe money, it's different.

That apartment is crazy luxurious for a college kid, but didn't they know where she was living before this? I think his freakout was motivated by Luca more than anything else, which doesn't surprise me either. Remember the Andre from Marseilles episode of Black-ish? He's never going to be okay with anyone Zoey brings home. 

One of my favorite bits of this episode was Zoey pretending Luca had hearing loss and Dre just losing it. It's been interesting to see the less than perfect sides to Zoey and to see Dre actually mad at her for once.

New to this forum, is hating Doug a popular opinion? He's the one character I couldn't stand from the first intro. I don't even know why, he just bugs me.

I can't believe I completely wrote this show off a doomed-to-fail spinoff attempt, I just watched the entire thing in one weekend. It's so much more entertaining to me than Black-ish has been the last few seasons and I love that they really spun off into Zoey's world entirely and hardly have any crossovers from the original show. It seems like they included Charlie at the beginning to hedge their bets, but then limited his time when it was clear that the show worked on its own.

Agreed. Charlie was a weird fit from the beginning, but making him a dean was even worse. His antics in this episode were just foolish, and frankly bordering on something I'm not sure I want to give words to. Like, why is the Black guy the only IDIOT in a room where very serious business is being conducted?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

Bow was very worried about Zoey not getting into school at all. She was concerned about her college essay and SATs and at one point thought Zoey might end up going into the army for lack of anything else to do.

Rainbow was "worried" about Zoey in the same way Andre "worries" about Junior.

Zoey's grades were always great (hence her parents never having to address her academic performance in school), in fact, she got into most of the colleges she applied to.

Rainbow hassled Zoey about her essay (which admittedly was initially terrible; instagram filters, really Zoey?) but Zoey revised her essay to the point where it had both her parents cheering by the time she finished reading it to them.

If anything, Rainbow should've been more worried about her own favorite child, who dropped out of school and is currently doing nothing on her couch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don't like Luca and I never have. It would have been shocking to me if he'd gotten dressed and made any effort to make a good impression on Zoey's family. I get why Dre didn't like him. But he doesn't know that Zoey cheated because she's too busy socializing to study (and Luca wasn't at the party, was he? He hasn't really been shown to be that much of a distraction to her, it's more of a general lack of bother on her part, than him specifically).

To be honest, I was surprised Zoey was taking chemistry in the first place. I don't know anyone in the arts who was taking chemistry classes. Even where there's a science requirement, chemistry is not the class that people generally choose unless they're going into a science field, which Zoey has never shown any interest in at all.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/9/2019 at 5:22 PM, possibilities said:

The code business about who you can date I think must vary somewhat from community to community.

I think it varies from pre social media to today's online activity where everyone puts their whole life up for all to view.

I'll do you one better.  Back in the day if you dated someone who was nice but not for you then you would tell them you had a friend who might be perfect for them.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Dee said:

Rainbow hassled Zoey about her essay (which admittedly was initially terrible; instagram filters, really Zoey?) but Zoey revised her essay to the point where it had both her parents cheering by the time she finished reading it to them.

Zoey wrote a college essay that was full of gross exaggerations (I'm trying not to say lies): 

Perhaps it showed that she knew how to play the game, but that doesn't work in college. The essay sure wasn't indicative of any desire to grow academically.  I could see Dre being impressed by it, but I was disappointed in Bow, who should have told her it was dishonest and was not the sort of essay a privileged person such as Zoey had any "right" to write, even if it did get her into a bunch of colleges (but not the truly competitive ones, like Brown.)  Based on what we've seen of the college she is attending, especially the quality of the faculty, one would think that the acceptance rate was awfully high.

15 hours ago, Dee said:

If anything, Rainbow should've been more worried about her own favorite child, who dropped out of school and is currently doing nothing on her couch.

I've hated Junior's gap year and think it was a huge mistake, but we're supposed to think that after a certain amount of downtime, he's now getting up early every day and going to work with Dre, where he's handling menial duties.  Zoey had freshman year to get all that partying, not studying, and no parental supervision out of her system.  By sophomore year, you have to get semi-serious.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/11/2019 at 1:19 AM, RoadFullOfPromise said:

FERPA would be surprised too.

Actually, FERPA does not apply if the student is a dependent on her parents' taxes: https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/faq.html#q3

6. If I am a parent of a college student, do I have the right to see my child's education records, especially if I pay the bill?

As noted above, the rights under FERPA transfer from the parents to the student, once the student turns 18 years old or enters a postsecondary institution at any age. However, although the rights under FERPA have now transferred to the student, a school may disclose information from an "eligible student's" education records to the parents of the student, without the student's consent, if the student is a dependent for tax purposes. Neither the age of the student nor the parent's status as a custodial parent is relevant. If a student is claimed as a dependent by either parent for tax purposes, then either parent may have access under this provision. (34 CFR § 99.31(a)(8).)

Now if Dre and Bow completely cut her off, there might be an issue. I also wonder, does Dre plan to take Zoey off his phone plan?  That would make an impression.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

The essay sure wasn't indicative of any desire to grow academically.

It didn't need to be.

Rainbow is the one who put the emphasis on Zoey needing to write a great essay. but with Zoey's stellar grades and copious extracurricular activities, she was a virtual lock everywhere she applied anyway.

Quote

but I was disappointed in Bow, who should have told her it was dishonest and was not the sort of essay a privileged person such as Zoey had any "right" to write, even if it did get her into a bunch of colleges (but not the truly competitive ones, like Brown.)

Why be disappointed in Rainbow, who lied majorly in college (then encouraged Zoey to lie even further) herself?

Quote

but we're supposed to think that after a certain amount of downtime, he's now getting up early every day and going to work with Dre,

A job where he's barely competent, refuses to follow directions and acts like a judgmental jerk in between disregarding his father's clearly expressed wishes.

Quote

By sophomore year, you have to get semi-serious.

Zoey is semi-serious. The reason her GPA was suffering was because she dropped design lab and was struggling in chemistry. Not because she was doing badly in all of her other classes.

And Zoey's freshman year wasn't a disaster either. Even back then she was considered an impressive enough student to tutor star athletes and land highly coveted internships. Which was in addition to her partying during a large part of the previous year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know how long I'll keep watching this show. With 19, one is still very young but one is not a child anymore. Zoey and her friends are horrible people. I miss tv for young adults where characters were annoying yet adorable and sometimes even good examples for real life. Now they are just terrible human beings, here to to make us feel better about ourselves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/12/2019 at 6:58 AM, Dee said:

It didn't need to be.

Rainbow is the one who put the emphasis on Zoey needing to write a great essay. but with Zoey's stellar grades and copious extracurricular activities, she was a virtual lock everywhere she applied anyway.

In that same episode linked above, Zoey told Rainbow that she had zero extracurricular activities to list. Frankly, it was a bit weird that Rainbow didn't know that Zoey had either dropped out or never joined any school activities and college application time was a bit late for her to inquire. 

Quote

I don't know how long I'll keep watching this show. With 19, one is still very young but one is not a child anymore. Zoey and her friends are horrible people. I miss tv for young adults where characters were annoying yet adorable and sometimes even good examples for real life. Now they are just terrible human beings, here to to make us feel better about ourselves.

I don't think they're terrible human beings and (for better or worse) are probably some of the most realistic college students I've seen on TV. A bit self-absorbed, always involved in petty drama, and prioritizing social life and parties over school work? That's the college experience I remember. 

I just wish I'd had an apartment even half that nice. Even their dorm rooms were ridiculously nice, I remember a 6x6 cinder block walled little cell with no A/C. But even by the time I was graduating, they were starting to build nicer and nicer dorms, so perhaps this is now the norm. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

No new episode this week?

Going back to the discussion with lying and then the explosive scandal of parents paying/lying/cheating to get their kids in school was so appropriate this week.  The girl who was shown saying she didn't want to go to college and would party, see games and would basically miss a lot of school was so awesome after her parents paid almost a 1/2 mill to get her in.

I'm sorry, don't we learn not to cheat in elementary school or is Zoey's private school experience not that involved in ethics of students?  And discuss.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/13/2019 at 3:22 PM, ljenkins782 said:

In that same episode linked above, Zoey told Rainbow that she had zero extracurricular activities to list. Frankly, it was a bit weird that Rainbow didn't know that Zoey had either dropped out or never joined any school activities and college application time was a bit late for her to inquire. 

I forgot about that.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:22 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I just wish I'd had an apartment even half that nice.

I found an upper flat, 5 houses from a brothel, for $120 a month w/garage, backyard and it was pretty cool.  I paid for it myself at the age of 18.  The brothel ladies were very nice.  I was not doing any dorm with any roommate.

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

No new episode this week?

Going back to the discussion with lying and then the explosive scandal of parents paying/lying/cheating to get their kids in school was so appropriate this week.  The girl who was shown saying she didn't want to go to college and would party, see games and would basically miss a lot of school was so awesome after her parents paid almost a 1/2 mill to get her in.

I'm sorry, don't we learn not to cheat in elementary school or is Zoey's private school experience not that involved in ethics of students?  And discuss.

It’s off until summer. Last week was the spring finale.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, jumper sage said:

the explosive scandal of parents paying/lying/cheating to get their kids in school was so appropriate this week.

The mistake Hoffman and other made was not paying the schools directly.  That's called an "endowment" and is completely legal (I could mention names of some who got into college by this method, but I think we all know who they are).  But paying the schools indirectly is called a "bribe" and is a crime. 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

It wasn't just the money. They also falsified test results and photoshopped their children into athletic photos to get admitted as athletes for sports they didn't play.

Totally nuts and fraudulent besides.

  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/7/2019 at 11:45 AM, Racj82 said:

The big deal with Ana and Aaron is girl code. It does not matter that Zoe chose otherwise. For a time, she was really into him and Ana knows this. So, not telling Zoe about this hook up is just going to be a big no no. This is something that at the very least, you bring up to Zoe before it happened. Ask if it's okay. How does she feel about it. You don't just hook with the dude behind her back.

I don't think it's just about "girl code" (interesting it's girl code and not woman code), they are all a close group of friends.  Sure Zoe used to like Aaron, but Ana and Aaron are in the same "crew."  Things like this can harm the balance of a group.

This episode was interesting in light of the recent cheating scandal that has hit the news.  

I think Dre should continue to pay Zoe's tuition, but she should be made to get some sort of part time job; but maybe she'll wind up being an influencer on IG.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't think it's just about "girl code" (interesting it's girl code and not woman code)

The equivalent is "bro code", which is hardly adult.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/15/2019 at 4:30 PM, jhlipton said:

But paying the schools indirectly is called a "bribe" and is a crime. 

The schools weren't paid at all; the coaches/athletic directors took the bribes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

It was the first half of season 2. This summer we'll get the second half.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/11/2019 at 1:44 PM, possibilities said:

I don't like Luca and I never have. It would have been shocking to me if he'd gotten dressed and made any effort to make a good impression on Zoey's family. I get why Dre didn't like him. But he doesn't know that Zoey cheated because she's too busy socializing to study (and Luca wasn't at the party, was he? He hasn't really been shown to be that much of a distraction to her, it's more of a general lack of bother on her part, than him specifically).

To be honest, I was surprised Zoey was taking chemistry in the first place. I don't know anyone in the arts who was taking chemistry classes. Even where there's a science requirement, chemistry is not the class that people generally choose unless they're going into a science field, which Zoey has never shown any interest in at all.

I was a business major and I never took chemistry (why mess up my good GPA?) I took biology - much easier then chem!

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I guess I just don't understand fashion.

To be fair, the MetGala is not everyday fashion. It’s always over the top. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

To be fair, the MetGala is not everyday fashion. It’s always over the top. 

Especially this year, as the theme is "Camp" (the love of the exaggerated, the "off", of things being what they are not, etc.)  This is actually one of the tamer, and honestly, more boring outfits.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I think she (as well as Tracee Ellis Ross) looked kind of miraculous.  Fun and campy but still gorgeous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I think she (as well as Tracee Ellis Ross) looked kind of miraculous.  Fun and campy but still gorgeous.

Oh, I think she looks amazing!  But compared to the campiness of many of the other outfits, hers is towards the bottom.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

Oh, I think she looks amazing!  But compared to the campiness of many of the other outfits, hers is towards the bottom.

Agree. This isn't camp (although to be fair, many, many of the attendees missed the "camp" mark).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×