Type keyword(s) to search

Previous Episodes Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Nothing beyond S02.E15 in here please. See forum for individual episode topics from S02.E16 onwards.

• Start Topic

S2.E10: Wild'n Cuz I'm Young

Zoey takes a work hard, play harder approach when her midterm falls the morning after the semester's biggest rager and is forced to deal with the consequences. Meanwhile, both Ana and Nomi find themselves facing big decisions in their new romances.

Original air date: 2/27/19

Doug and Jazz finally broke up?  Thank goodness.  If we can cut that braid off the back of Aaron's head, all will be right with the show... aside from whatever nonsense Nomi and her professor are up to.

Considering that Zoe dropped the design class, she should've had extra time to study for the chem final as opposed to waiting until the night before.  Sounds like she was struggling with the class to begin with.  Don't chem classes have study groups and TA's?

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, nasir jones said:

If we can cut that braid off the back of Aaron's head, all will be right with the show... aside from whatever nonsense Nomi and her professor are up to.

That rat tail is an abomination it really needs to go... And I hope we get a big episode outta nomi dating her Prof... I like when the crew chops it up over serious topics and I think they'd have a good convo with that.. Lastly Vivek needs a win... Cmon show y'all been punching old boy all season.. Let him have a moment of great

• Love 7

Rookie move Zoe. Spend all day studying, and then go out at night! You should know better! 

Totally knew that Nomis teacher was going to hit on her. Nomi might be in serious Like, but no way is this ending well. This will definitely be our next issue/discussion for the gang to discuss, whether or not college students and teachers should date. I am calling this sketchy. 

Finally Jazz and Doug break up, and good riddance to him. Jazz and her drunk IG story was hilariously cringy though. "I am a great friend!"

Vivek is the definitely the guy who was first on the plane to Fyre Fest, and the last one to leave, still half convinced the models are getting there any minute now! But, he was actually right! Finally he gets a win! And I loved Aaron saying how obviously Vivek is great at chemistry, he is both a drug dealer AND an engineering major!

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Finally he gets a win!

Was it really a win though.. He didn't find the VIP until the bash was done.. And while I thought overall Doug was kinda overreacting to the insta post I'm glad the show had him basically say.. Naw man  this is too much for me,  I didn't sign up for this.. And then keep it moving.. Without too much animosity.. Because sometimes that's how it goes.. Its crazy Nomi ( who earlier was kinda sliding into some predatory behavior is probably falling for the Professor's own Predatory moves) I can only imagine Vivek and Aaron screaming double standards and what not

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Rookie move Zoe. Spend all day studying, and then go out at night! You should know better!

My thoughts exactly! I couldn’t understand why Zoe didn’t study before partying. I’ve never been much of a party person but even I knew that ‘I’ll only stay for a few minutes’ plan was doomed to fail. 

I hope Nomi’s relationship with her instructor is the next group discussion topic. So much to unpack there.

I agree with whomever said Sky needs her own story line.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, woodstock said:

My thoughts exactly! I couldn’t understand why Zoe didn’t study before partying. I’ve never been much of a party person but even I knew that ‘I’ll only stay for a few minutes’ plan was doomed to fail. 

Especially since she wasn't even getting there til, like, midnight. Study, then go get faded. And also...she got zero sleep and zero study but she had time to fix herself up and do her hair and makeup and outfit before the exam...I know she's a fashion girl, but come ON.

18 minutes ago, woodstock said:

I hope Nomi’s relationship with her instructor is the next group discussion topic. So much to unpack there.

I agree with whomever said Sky needs her own story line.

Are prof/student relationships completely verboten in college? I mean, maybe they always were and always should be, but it used to be not so frowned upon. The students in this case are legally adults.  What if it's a student who ISN'T in one of the professor's classes? Is it always considered a no-no now? (yeah, I slept with a college professor or two, but I'm old. Times were different.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

Was it really a win though.. He didn't find the VIP until the bash was done.. And while I thought overall Doug was kinda overreacting to the insta post I'm glad the show had him basically say.. Naw man  this is too much for me,  I didn't sign up for this.. And then keep it moving.. Without too much animosity.. Because sometimes that's how it goes.. Its crazy Nomi ( who earlier was kinda sliding into some predatory behavior is probably falling for the Professor's own Predatory moves) I can only imagine Vivek and Aaron screaming double standards and what not

I appreciated Doug’s honesty. Everyone gets to make their choices about what they do or don’t want or will or won’t accept in a relationship. And yeah, it sucks, but if he can’t handle the situation that Jazz has set up through her “IG rebrand”, then it’s probably best to admit it and move on.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

Especially since she wasn't even getting there til, like, midnight. Study, then go get faded. And also...she got zero sleep and zero study but she had time to fix herself up and do her hair and makeup and outfit before the exam...I know she's a fashion girl, but come ON.

Are prof/student relationships completely verboten in college? I mean, maybe they always were and always should be, but it used to be not so frowned upon. The students in this case are legally adults.  What if it's a student who ISN'T in one of the professor's classes? Is it always considered a no-no now? (yeah, I slept with a college professor or two, but I'm old. Times were different.)

She really did this so wrong. Leaving aside the fact that the exam was probably on her calendar for the entire semester and she could have studied for days or weeks leading up to it, if she HAD to cram the day before, she could have spent all day doing that, gone to the party from like 12-3 AM, gotten a little less than six hours of sleep (which is decent), rolled out of bed, and  taken the test. She still couldn't get wasted at the party because taking a test with a hangover is not the business, but she didn't really appear to do that anyway.

The hair and makeup tripped me out too. That time would have been better spent sleeping or studying. I was also annoyed that she thought she could bullshit her way through a chem exam. Chemistry isn't subjective like, say, English lit is. Not only did she not study but she appeared to be coming at it with zero foundation, like she hadn't been doing the work all semester.

Professor/student relationships (meaning professors sleeping with students they are teaching) should be verboten, for the same reason I think it's inappropriate for bosses to date/sleep with people who work directly under them. You can't objectively evaluate someone you're sleeping with. If professors and students want to hook up they should do it when the professor is no longer teaching them. When I was in college, one of my classmates got engaged to her former TA - but he asked her out AFTER the class was over so there was no impropriety. If this goes left it's the professor (I forget her name; the actress is Kate Moennig) who would be penalized, not Nomi, so the professor really should know better.

34 minutes ago, TVForever said:

I appreciated Doug’s honesty. Everyone gets to make their choices about what they do or don’t want or will or won’t accept in a relationship. And yeah, it sucks, but if he can’t handle the situation that Jazz has set up through her “IG rebrand”, then it’s probably best to admit it and move on.

I found that breakup refreshing because it was so clean. "You want to do X, I'm not with X, you're not going to stop doing X, so we should call it." Sometimes it really is that simple (though that doesn't mean that Jazz won't feel it, as evidenced by her tearing up afterward).

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 5

Zoey, Zoey, Zoey, wtf were you thinking????  The "I'll only stay 10 minutes" plan was obviously not going to work, but cheating on the test was even worse.  Study in the weeks/days leading up to the exam.

I know, it doesn't always work out - I had way more than one all-nighter in college, and I also went Christmas shopping the night before I bombed my Spanish final so I can't say I always studied like I should have.  I didn't cheat on it, though (unlike the dickwads in front of me that I should have ratted out, but c'est la vie).

I can't believe she did something so stupid.  She's probably going to get expelled, or would if this were real life.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Empress1 said:

So they went there with Nomi and the prof.

Why didn't Zoey study before the party? The day, week before? 

Because she's not a serious student.  I guess she did ok in high school where her opportunities to party were limited, but she chose to go to a party-heavy school, hangs out with people who party all the time, and lacks any discipline.  She's probably not particularly academic, any way,  There's no way she's been doing well on problem sets, labs and a probable midterm up to this point.  I'm thinking that Ana was using Zoey's laptop last week to talk with her professor, as it showed a C- in chemistry and a dropped design lap.  I guess it was supposed to be foreshadowing for this episode?

6 hours ago, nasir jones said:

Considering that Zoe dropped the design class, she should've had extra time to study for the chem final as opposed to waiting until the night before.  Sounds like she was struggling with the class to begin with.  Don't chem classes have study groups and TA's?

Sure, but if you're busy with your social life and worrying about how you look and what others think of you, there's no time for that.

4 hours ago, luna1122 said:

And also...she got zero sleep and zero study but she had time to fix herself up and do her hair and makeup and outfit before the exam...I know she's a fashion girl, but come ON.

Didn't Nomi break a major rule of their social group by not responding to Zoey's text?  Is she going to be shunned for that crime?

6 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Lastly Vivek needs a win... Cmon show y'all been punching old boy all season.. Let him have a moment of great

A "win" is not getting arrested for selling drugs.  They haven't shown that side of him too much lately, but it really bugs me that his friends are fine with it, as long as he doesn't do it in their rooms.  Friends shouldn't let friends do stupid stuff.  Look at Zoey interfering with Jaz. I thought she was going to get punched!  Sky's a coward for not taking away her sister's phone herself.

4 hours ago, luna1122 said:

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Professor/student relationships (meaning professors sleeping with students they are teaching) should be verboten, for the same reason I think it's inappropriate for bosses to date/sleep with people who work directly under them. You can't objectively evaluate someone you're sleeping with.

Any decent college forbids relationships between a student and her professor/TA.  The teacher gives the student a grade! It's a rel abuse of authority.

Many schools forbid relationships between students and any professorTA.  The student might wind up taking a class with the professor/TA after they are no longer dating, and the professor/TA would then have a bias either pro or con with regard to the student.

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

If professors and students want to hook up they should do it when the professor is no longer teaching them. 

The professor might be friendly with another professor who is grading or advising the student the first professor is dating, which makes it difficult for the second professor to treat the student like everyone else.

Other students in the class who know the student is dating a different professor might think she/he is getting special treatment from this professor. It's a bad idea.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Dee said:

Zoey was a great student in high school.

She certainly partied less, though. And in college she doesn't have anyone looking over her shoulder to make sure she does her work.  Her parents couldn't see her college grades unless she signed a waiver, so they didn't know she dropped a class, or wasn't doing well in chemistry, unless she told them.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 2/28/2019 at 3:37 PM, luna1122 said:

I think a lot of things have changed because sensibilities have changed and because we know a bit more now.  Relationships between professors and students aren't healthy because of the unequal power dynamic, it always existed but people weren't really conscious of it the way they are now, and I too slept with a college professor, but it was after I graduated.   

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
On 2/28/2019 at 2:02 PM, tennisgurl said:

Vivek is the definitely the guy who was first on the plane to Fyre Fest, and the last one to leave,

Excellent!

22 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Because she's not a serious student.  I guess she did ok in high school where her opportunities to party were limited, but she chose to go to a party-heavy school, hangs out with people who party all the time, and lacks any discipline.  She's probably not particularly academic, any way,

She is being written like a complete asshole.  Let's put aside that she is not 21, does not have to worry about money, and is all about "the crew", how could she be so obtuse?  She isn't a freshman who needs to cultivate a study plan.  Once again they show only how some rich kids completely disregard their costly education.  It makes me sick.  Back in the day, we didn't drink but smoked weed all-the-time.  We still didn't smoke during exams week, or testing or presentations.  We had a brain.  We also paid for school ourselves.

Graduating from high school is hardly difficult.  If she thought she was star then, clearly, she was wrong.

Just like a family member of mine, her dad got a call from school to say she had not taken classes in over a year and they would like her removed from campus......he drove up their and dragged her ass back home in front of "her crew".  Her stupidity is that she forgot her dad cosigned a student loan for the remainder of her classes and the loan people wanted their money.  She wrecked her own credit score and could have wrecked her dad's score except that he paid them in full over the phone.  She is lucky he had the money in the bank.  He then treated her like a 12 year old and she had to earn back his trust and respect.  He never gave her another dime.  No help with a new car, tuition, she wasn't allowed to get housing.  He did give her the money he had set aside for her wedding but she was 27 by that time and graduated from college and had a great guy.  He still talks to her once a week so she won't screw up her marriage and grad school.

I wish someone would have helped me with even a little bit of college money.  I paid every single dime all the through grad school and paid for my own apartment.

This whole "crew" thing is so stupid.  You should have a group of friends but you don't own them and you don't date them either.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She certainly partied less, though. And in college she doesn't have anyone looking over her shoulder to make sure she does her work.  Her parents couldn't see her college grades unless she signed a waiver, so they didn't know she dropped a class, or wasn't doing well in chemistry, unless she told them.

Very true.

But her increase in partying doesn't make her a bad student, just a normal (occasionally irresponsible) kid. Many students party too much during the first couple of years of college. It's a normal phase of life just like the Freshman 15 or some potential students deciding to take gap years.

Zoey dropped design lab because she felt it wasn't fulfilling her anymore, not because she was failing the class, which is a very mature realization for someone her age. She hasn't been shown struggling in any of her other classes (outside of time management), even during her brief adderall phase.

• Love 3

SPRING FINALE!

S02.E11: Face the World

Zoey has to deal with the repercussions of her previous academic decisions. Zoey tries to prevent Dre and Pops from attending CalU's Parents Weekend. Meanwhile, everyone else has their own drama to face.

Original air date: 3/6/19

Hold Up! Dre is quick to cut off Zoe but he put with Junior's gap year shenanigans for how long???!!! That just seems hypocritical to me.  So I guess next season we'll see Zoe try juggling school and a job.

I'm annoyed that we didn't get more interaction between Nomi and her parents. That was the story line I was the most interested in.

I guess I don't understand why there's all this drama regarding Ana and Aaron's relationship???

• Love 8
(edited)

Aren't finals followed by winter break? What school has Parents' Weekend after finals? No one would be there. 

So, Nomi's professor led her on and then realized how precarious her position was? She's lucky Nomi's not the type to report her, because she would definitely lose her job. It's a good thing the semester's over, because there's no way Nomi could stay in her class. (I assume she's getting an "A".)

4 hours ago, woodstock said:

Hold Up! Dre is quick to cut off Zoe but he put with Junior's gap year shenanigans for how long???!!! That just seems hypocritical to me.  So I guess next season we'll see Zoe try juggling school and a job

He's more upset about Luca (it's very annoying that the actor is "Luka" but the character is "Luca" since I have to look it up every time to see which is correct) than he is about the cheating.

If he only knew how much drinking Zoey (not Zoe) did and how much marijuana Luca consumed,  he'd be even more shocked.

2 points: What if Rainbow doesn't agree about cutting Zoey off? She makes plenty of money, too.

Also, the college will not provide financial aid to a student whose parents are wealthy just because the parents won't pay the bills, or many parents would refuse to pay the bills. Zoey will have to borrow upwards of $70,000 per year for her tuition, room and board. There's no job she can get that would make a dent in that. Her wardrobe will likely suffer, also. Moving back into a dorm will help, but then how will Ana and Nomi pay the rent?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

There's likely no space in the dorm right now anyway. And she won't be able to afford the dorm, either. She'd have to drop out. There's no way she could support herself and pay tuition without financial aid or parental support. I'm sure they made it a cliffhanger for the hiatus but Bow will step in and reverse Dre's decision by the first episode when the show returns. Dre was right to be angry about the cheating, but cutting her off is not going to save her academics or her integrity, and his reaction to Luca was way over the top and no doubt just another of Dre's typical sexist bullshit. I don't even like Luca, but he can't seriously think his sophomore daughter is never exposed to booze, boys, or weed. He's not that naive. The whole thing was just weird. Bow's more of a helicopter than Dre is, usually, and she was nowhere even mentioned all episode.

Aaron's parents' lack of interest in him was sad. I don't think parents come for parent weekend past freshman year, though, do they? I don't even think we had a parents' weekend when I was in college, to be honest. I went to two different ones (transferring after my second year), and neither place had a parents' weekend.

Nomi's professor was way out of line. I'm surprised they decided to gloss over the coming out part of Nomi's story, and throw her right away into this really nauseating story. Coming out to parents is a story that's been done a lot, so I'm actually kind of bored with it. But this other story is not what I would have wanted to see instead. Why not show us some of the things she found so exciting about LGBTQ culture, instead of just vaguely saying it exists without any details outside of the one poetry event she hated? Why not have her dating someone actually in her peer group? It's like they think the only things to show us are misery, exploitation, or shallow hook ups. They teased us with "she is ready to get serious now that she's not hiding" and then immediately jumped her into this new BS instead of having her actually go that route.

The twins' dad giving them both the cold shoulder because one of them is doing something he doesn't like? Bad parenting. He does have style, though, with the hack.

I don't get why it's such a big deal that Ana and Aaron are together. Zoey rejected Aaron. Why would she care?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't think parents come for parent weekend past freshman year, though, do they?

Mine didn't, and they love me. 🙂 They for sure came freshman year though.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't get why it's such a big deal that Ana and Aaron are together. Zoey rejected Aaron. Why would she care?

I don't either. I could understand it if Zoey and Aaron had been an actual couple, but they never were. Zoey is pretty self-absorbed though so she'll find a way to make it about her.

6 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

There's no job she can get that would make a dent in that.

Nope. I have family friends whose daughter got into Penn and spent the first year partying. She was on academic probation. Her parents were like, we are not spending all this money for you to fuck up, you come back home immediately. They yanked her out altogether. I had a friend in college (another Ivy) whose very wealthy father saw his first-semester grades, which were awful, and reamed him out saying he had one semester to get his shit together or he was cutting him off, which would have meant him dropping out. He had his father's rant as his screen saver to give him motivation. He did end up turning it around, though he had to take summer classes after we graduated because he couldn't quite catch up with the stuff he failed. College is very, very expensive, even in-state; the days of "I worked my way through school with a minimum wage job and mowing lawns in the summers" are long over.

I love Laurence Fishburne as Pops. And there was a text from Dre when Zoey was blowing him off that just said "ARE YOU KIDNAPPED???" which cracked me up.

Hating the paint by numbers Nomi/professor story.

• Love 7

I wondered if Dre meant cut-off entirely, or just cut-off from Room and Board? I can see the folks continuing to pay for her education, but not for her partying lifestyle, especially since that's what appears to be interfering with her education. And he's not entirely wrong. I guess there's a reason why many schools don't allow kids to live off-campus until senior year unless they're living with their families! Although, I think this was some swanky on-campus apartment or something, wasn't it?

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, ctmd said:

I wondered if Dre meant cut-off entirely, or just cut-off from Room and Board? I can see the folks continuing to pay for her education, but not for her partying lifestyle, especially since that's what appears to be interfering with her education. And he's not entirely wrong.

I frequently disagree with Dre on black-ish but I agree with him here. 

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ctmd said:

I wondered if Dre meant cut-off entirely, or just cut-off from Room and Board? I can see the folks continuing to pay for her education, but not for her partying lifestyle, especially since that's what appears to be interfering with her education. And he's not entirely wrong. I guess there's a reason why many schools don't allow kids to live off-campus until senior year unless they're living with their families! Although, I think this was some swanky on-campus apartment or something, wasn't it?

This would actually make a lot of sense. Zoey is still getting her tuition paid but she will not get a dime for that dope ass apartment and clothes. I like Zoey but this was a reality check she sorely needed. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, qtpye said:

This would actually make a lot of sense. Zoey is still getting her tuition paid but she will not get a dime for that dope ass apartment and clothes. I like Zoey but this was a reality check she sorely needed. 

And she wouldn't have as much free time to party and bullshit if she's got to work at the bookstore or wait tables or both to buy books, school supplies, and keep a roof over her head. Hell - couldn't she live at home? Doesn't she go to school close to home? (I mean, we know she won't because then that would just be black-ish and grown-ish just got renewed, but it's possible. Bow and Dre pay her tuition and she has to work to pay for everything else - including rent to them, if they let her live at home.)

• Love 2

Wow, that was some bad cheating, Zoe. That wasnt even look at someones test bad (which is still really bad) that was full on multiple steps cheating bad. She is super lucky she didnt get expelled. 

But I guess it might not matter if Dre is cutting her off. I wonder if Rainbow will help her, she is way more of the helicopter parent than Dre is. I also wonder if Dre will cut off her off from her nice apartment and clothes and booze, but keep paying for school. I mean, does he really want both of his adult kids living at home after leaving college with their tails between their legs? With the number of kids at their house, they probably cant even fit Zoe in there anymore!

Weird that we didnt get more of Nomi and her parents when she came out, thats a much more interesting story than the teacher. I wanted to know why Aaron's parents never visit him, I felt bad!

Hee, the twins remind Zoe of Dianne! And while I am not always a big Luka fan, Luka and Pops interaction? Oh yeah, thats something I can fully get behind.

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't care about Nomi's coming out story. I've seen enough coming out stories to fill a life time. Skipping it is fine with me.

The big deal with Ana and Aaron is girl code. It does not matter that Zoe chose otherwise. For a time, she was really into him and Ana knows this. So, not telling Zoe about this hook up is just going to be a big no no. This is something that at the very least, you bring up to Zoe before it happened. Ask if it's okay. How does she feel about it. You don't just hook with the dude behind her back.

It would be hilarious if they went full different world and pulled Zoe from the show ala Denise and kept the show going. They won't do that but it would be funny.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 4

I think Zoey definitely deserved and needed some kind of reality check, and I wouldn't mind seeing her working and living within some kind of budget. But what I suspect is that if her parents don't bankroll her lifestyle, she'll just try to find a new hustle, either using fashion (she already has a friend who's trying to make it via IG-- and who needs a new account now that her father blocked her old one), or something else that puts her well above the minimum wage, entry-level job grind. This show seems way more interested in glamour than realism. They introduce and resolve anything difficult in an episode or two, usually. And they never told us how Zoey got back in the good graces of the twins. They just dropped it after making a big deal about it.

I agree that Earl with Luca was fun.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think Zoey definitely deserved and needed some kind of reality check, and I wouldn't mind seeing her working and living within some kind of budget. But what I suspect is that if her parents don't bankroll her lifestyle, she'll just try to find a new hustle, either using fashion (she already has a friend who's trying to make it via IG-- and who needs a new account now that her father blocked her old one), or something else that puts her well above the minimum wage, entry-level job grind. This show seems way more interested in glamour than realism. They introduce and resolve anything difficult in an episode or two, usually. And they never told us how Zoey got back in the good graces of the twins. They just dropped it after making a big deal about it.

I agree that Earl with Luca was fun.

I don't know why the twins/Zoey beef is such a sticking point with some. It's probably one of the most realistic things the show has ever done. Real life doesn't often have moments like Zoey's mass apology tweet. In reality, most issues just fade away if you are real friends because the argument was pointless to begin with. The twins casually got over it. That's friendship in it's most realistic. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

Aaron's parents' lack of interest in him was sad. I don't think parents come for parent weekend past freshman year, though, do they? I don't even think we had a parents' weekend when I was in college, to be honest. I went to two different ones (transferring after my second year), and neither place had a parents' weekend.

If Aaron's parents didn't have a lot of money (didn't seem to be the case) or lived far away from the school (another state), they may not feel the need to stop by for a single day.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

If Aaron's parents didn't have a lot of money (didn't seem to be the case) or lived far away from the school (another state), they may not feel the need to stop by for a single day.

They went on a cruise his freshman year....

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

There's no way she could support herself and pay tuition without financial aid or parental support.

You'd be shocked to know that lenders will loan huge sums of money to college kids with no collateral.  Students have graduated with $250,00 in debt, and interest growing every day.

More than 2 million student loan borrowers have student loan debt greater than $100,000, with 415,000 of that total holding student loan debt greater than $200,000.

If she wants to borrow the money, she probably can.

• Love 2
On 3/1/2019 at 6:32 PM, jumper sage said:

Just like a family member of mine, her dad got a call from school to say she had not taken classes in over a year and they would like her removed from campus......he drove up their and dragged her ass back home in front of "her crew".  Her stupidity is that she forgot her dad cosigned a student loan for the remainder of her classes and the loan people wanted their money.  She wrecked her own credit score and could have wrecked her dad's score except that he paid them in full over the phone.  She is lucky he had the money in the bank.  He then treated her like a 12 year old and she had to earn back his trust and respect.  He never gave her another dime.  No help with a new car, tuition, she wasn't allowed to get housing.  He did give her the money he had set aside for her wedding but she was 27 by that time and graduated from college and had a great guy.  He still talks to her once a week so she won't screw up her marriage and grad school.

I wish someone would have helped me with even a little bit of college money.  I paid every single dime all the through grad school and paid for my own apartment.

This whole "crew" thing is so stupid.  You should have a group of friends but you don't own them and you don't date them either.

Oh I know, teacher here and sadly, I have been told stories or seen ones happen. You get a lot of these kids who are: "God, when high school is over, I'll have a life." Then they do these stupid things and guess what? Even with helicopter parents or people who give them every excuse in the book it's someone else's fault, it catches up with you. Was told a story of someone who barely made it through high school. Never wanted to do work, was always showing up late, various suspensions. They didn't go to college, but they brought this same attitude to the job world. Guess what? This person was fired constantly because they would go: "Well, I over slept." "Well, I'm not feeling good." "Why do I have to do this?" It's sad when they get a reality check or "their crew" gets over themselves, they still can't get it in their head, they have to use their brain and be a functioning adult, because someone isn't going to ALWAYS bail you out in life. 

• Love 5

With this girl, mentioned above, she was an excellent high school student, had a job, played sports etc.  In college she wanted to join a sorority.  She forgot she had no money, did not come from big money and could not keep up with these girls.  It threw her in a deep depression.  Once her dad got her back on solid ground she was better but it took over 2 years of counseling and being watched closely by her parents.

Am glad that Zoe owned up to cheating.  Was proud of Dre for kicking her off his dime but it would seem, by the phone call, that he may cave on that.  I was screaming at the TV, "Do you know how much just retaking Chem class costs?"  Idiot.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Am glad that Zoe owned up to cheating.  Was proud of Dre for kicking her off his dime but it would seem, by the phone call, that he may cave on that.  I was screaming at the TV, "Do you know how much just retaking Chem class costs?"  Idiot.

Right, but then you add into the crap that is the "gap year" with Junior and despite everything. Both Zoey and Junior need to be cut off or as Dre and Rainbow have been telling Junior: "Enough! Get yourself together!" I be telling him he had until May to "figure it out" if not. Get a job and go get an apartment. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Racj82 said:

The big deal with Ana and Aaron is girl code. It does not matter that Zoe chose otherwise. For a time, she was really into him and Ana knows this. So, not telling Zoe about this hook up is just going to be a big no no. This is something that at the very least, you bring up to Zoe before it happened. Ask if it's okay. How does she feel about it. You don't just hook with the dude behind her back.

Thanks for the explanation. The girl code stuff is lost me. I’ve never really had close girl friends; acquaintances, yes but girls/women who really know me and I share everything with, no. Plus I was a shy, introverted tomboy growing up and didn’t start dating until I was into my late 20s. Now that I’m in my 40s the introversion is still there but I can take or leave people and dating LOL.

I totally get Dre’s anger over the cheating and his concern that Zoe isn’t focused on getting her education. I just think he, Bow and Zoe need to have conversation on how to move forward. Put Zoe on probation and give her a semester to get her act together, have her get a job to help support herself (plus there won’t be as much time to party). Dre reacted emotionally which he tends to do and that’s not the way to handle this situation.

Luca better watch out; Pops might raid his closet!

• Love 4

I can understand Dre's anger with Zoe as a reaction to everything that occurred.  She tried to ignore him, didn't tell him the truth, then flat out lied in his face.  The blunt as a hearing aid was funny as hell for me, but I doubt it would be for any father, even if they were cool with weed.  I was surprised Charlie told him about the cheating.  Then to find out about the drinking, drug use, and Luca (September/yesterday... that whole scene was great).  I wonder how she could possibly avoid expulsion for getting caught blatantly cheating on a final?

Pops was the MVP of the episode.  Laurence Fishburne is a national treasure.  (Yeah, I watched Deep Cover for the 500th time several days ago... so what?)  I'd love to see Pops on some Rodney Dangerfield Back To School shit for an ep.  Then he would just disappear.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, woodstock said:

Thanks for the explanation. The girl code stuff is lost me. I’ve never really had close girl friends;

No, no, no!  That's not how it works.  Zoe dropped Aaron and has moved on, it is ok for Ana to date him.  What?  Zoe is saving him for another time?  Not how it goes.  I would say they need to date outside of their friends group like the one twin did.

The bi girl - this is why it is against the rules for profs to date students.  The prof could have said, "I like you but it is not appropriate to date".  She can't take a young woman who is trying to find out who she is and then use her proffness to bring her in and then drop her.  I am waiting the for the other shoe to drop.

8 hours ago, woodstock said:

I totally get Dre’s anger over the cheating and his concern that Zoe isn’t focused on getting her education. I just think he, Bow and Zoe need to have conversation on how to move forward. Put Zoe on probation and give her a semester to get her act together, have her get a job to help support herself (plus there won’t be as much time to party).

I could buy that.

• Love 2

I'm glad Doug and Jazz split without too much drama, but he was so wrong calling her a slut (that's what the "thirsty" "trap" garbage he was spouting was saying).

On 3/7/2019 at 8:30 AM, tennisgurl said:

Wow, that was some bad cheating, Zoe. That wasnt even look at someones test bad (which is still really bad) that was full on multiple steps cheating bad. She is super lucky she didnt get expelled. 

3 hours ago, nasir jones said:

I wonder how she could possibly avoid expulsion for getting caught blatantly cheating on a final?

PLOTTTT!!!!!

On 3/7/2019 at 8:45 AM, Racj82 said:

It would be hilarious if they went full different world and pulled Zoe from the show ala Denise and kept the show going. They won't do that but it would be funny.

I like the entire cast better than Zoey.  If they could drop her while keeping the others, that would be great.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, nasir jones said:

I wonder how she could possibly avoid expulsion for getting caught blatantly cheating on a final?

A friend of mine was a college TA. One of his students totally plagiarized a paper (like copied word for word) so he brought it to the professor who then turned it over to the administration. This kid got put on academic probation for one term. That's it.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

A friend of mine was a college TA. One of his students totally plagiarized a paper (like copied word for word) so he brought it to the professor who then turned it over to the administration. This kid got put on academic probation for one term. That's it.

Yeah, I had a classmate get WAY behind on two classes and got put on probation too. Knew another one where it was a double whammy of cheating and bad grades. They never got it together and were out the following year. Basically: "Two strikes and you are out."

• Love 1
18 hours ago, jumper sage said:

No, no, no!  That's not how it works.  Zoe dropped Aaron and has moved on, it is ok for Ana to date him.  What?  Zoe is saving him for another time?  Not how it goes.  I would say they need to date outside of their friends group like the one twin did.

The bi girl - this is why it is against the rules for profs to date students.  The prof could have said, "I like you but it is not appropriate to date".  She can't take a young woman who is trying to find out who she is and then use her proffness to bring her in and then drop her.  I am waiting the for the other shoe to drop.

I could buy that.

That is exactly how it goes and doesn't have anything to do with whether or not Zoe wants Aaron. Ana should have said she had feelings for Aaron a while ago as a friend. There were real feelings between Zoey and Aaron so it's not something, as a friend, you get to just skip over. I would never date anyone my friend was involved with but even if  it never went anywhere concrete between them, I would tell my friend what's up. They damn sure shouldn't be hearing it from a third party if you are supposed to be friends.

• Love 1

I think cutting her budget would be fine-- tell her that she has to meet certain benchmarks, do X amount of paid hourly work at some job or other, and put whatever restrictions on her that the parents think Zoey should have, to redeem herself. The instant "you're totally cut off" thing is what seemed ridiculous to me. And also, I don't like that Dre was scandalized by the presence of a boyfriend. Be pissed about the cheating, sure. But he really doesn't have any grounds to object to  her social life, as far as I'm concerned.

The code business about who you can date I think must vary somewhat from community to community. I never heard of this thing that you can't date someone your friend was attracted to but declined to get involved with. From my point of view, Zoey can't keep every guy they know in reserve and off limits to her friends. She was seriously interested in at least 3 guys, 2 out of their close friendship circle. She is with Luca. Everyone else can date whoever they want. I would think differently about it if she and Aaron had been together and had a messy break up. That would warrant some serious consideration.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I think cutting her budget would be fine-- tell her that she has to meet certain benchmarks, do X amount of paid hourly work at some job or other, and put whatever restrictions on her that the parents think Zoey should have, to redeem herself. The instant "you're totally cut off" thing is what seemed ridiculous to me. And also, I don't like that Dre was scandalized by the presence of a boyfriend. Be pissed about the cheating, sure. But he really doesn't have any grounds to object to  her social life, as far as I'm concerned.

The code business about who you can date I think must vary somewhat from community to community. I never heard of this thing that you can't date someone your friend was attracted to but declined to get involved with. From my point of view, Zoey can't keep every guy they know in reserve and off limits to her friends. She was seriously interested in at least 3 guys, 2 out of their close friendship circle. She is with Luca. Everyone else can date whoever they want. I would think differently about it if she and Aaron had been together and had a messy break up. That would warrant some serious consideration.

I didn't and nobody else says Ana can't date Aaron. That's not even going to be the issue. It's going to be how long was this going on? Were you guys together when I was into him? Why wouldn't you tell me? 

It's about expectations. If my friend wants to date someone I was previously linked to, I would expect to hear about it from that friend. And also not months after fact. 

As you get older, these things might matter less. But, when you are young, this stuff matters big time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

, I don't like that Dre was scandalized by the presence of a boyfriend. 

Well the boyfriend was in a kimono and boxers with a blunt behind his ears and basically admitted to living in the apt that drew is helping pay for all while Zoe is cheating on exams and getting put on academic probation... Still he wasn't too over the top with Luca who seemed to have no situational awareness during the whole thing

• Love 9
3 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Well the boyfriend was in a kimono and boxers with a blunt behind his ears and basically admitted to living in the apt that drew is helping pay for all while Zoe is cheating on exams and getting put on academic probation... Still he wasn't too over the top with Luca who seemed to have no situational awareness during the whole thing 

You'd think ol' boy would've put on a shirt and apologized to Dre for meeting him under these circumstances, but since Luca is too cool for school and apparently has zero home training, he was nonchalant.

I'm not mad at Zoe being cut off, but I do agree that she should be given the next semester to turn it around, as well as get a work-study job. She definitely needs more responsibility besides looking cute.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Racj82 said:

That is exactly how it goes and doesn't have anything to do with whether or not Zoe wants Aaron. Ana should have said she had feelings for Aaron a while ago as a friend. There were real feelings between Zoey and Aaron so it's not something, as a friend, you get to just skip over. I would never date anyone my friend was involved with but even if  it never went anywhere concrete between them, I would tell my friend what's up. They damn sure shouldn't be hearing it from a third party if you are supposed to be friends.

This makes no sense in the real world.  It only  makes sense on the show because Zoe is the focus.

16 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Exactly!  When dad is paying your bills pretend you are still at home or PAY YOU OWN BILLS.

16 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I didn't and nobody else says Ana can't date Aaron. That's not even going to be the issue. It's going to be how long was this going on? Were you guys together when I was into him? Why wouldn't you tell me? 

It's about expectations. If my friend wants to date someone I was previously linked to, I would expect to hear about it from that friend. And also not months after fact. 

As you get older, these things might matter less. But, when you are young, this stuff matters big time.

It only matters now because of the social media generation.  It is ridiculous to think that all girls must tell other girls everything.  Girl code is - you don't date someone who anyone, friend or not, is dating.  Obviously, you don't see anyone's spouse.  You don't date your friend's kids.

Bold - it is none of anyone's business.

It goes back to the sandbox - usually you never seriously dated anyone you played in the sandbox with.

These kids are too much into each other's lives and forget why they are there - to get a damn education so they can function as adults.  Right now Zoe seems the least likely to get a job and keep one.

• Love 2