Type keyword(s) to search

Previous Episodes Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Nothing beyond S02.E15 in here please. See forum for individual episode topics from S02.E16 onwards.

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Pallida said:

I’m feeling old. In my mind, girl code is you don’t hook up with someone your friend has feelings for or a friend’s ex if the relationship or breakup were messy. You almost had a thing but you chose someone else? Dude is fair game.

Exactly. You don't get to call permanent dibs on someone that was never your actual boyfriend to begin with. Just because you flirted with him over a year ago doesn't mean he’s off limits to everyone else, especially since you had the opportunity to have a relationship with him and you chose Luca instead. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Dear Show,

Watching two people text each other on a tv show is boring. Watching them text, pause to think, delete, and then text is even more boring.

EB

At least they could make the text bubbles bigger so I can actually read them. I always have to pause the tv and then hope like hell I can slowly make out what the words are.

Clearly this show is not produced for my middle aged demographic.

--

I did notice that the conversation with Zoey and Aaron started with her being upset about being cut off, and then they both forgot all about it when the Aaron-Ana thing was outed. Maybe her upset over that is underlying her over-reaction to their relationship, but even so... I thought she took the exact opposite message she should have, from Vivek's story about good friends.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

It's like she still wants Aaron on the back burner in case she and Luca split.

That's not the case. If Zoey wanted Aaron, who she hasn't really flirted or hung out one on one with, since she got with Luca, she would've chosen Aaron.

Her reaction had way more to do with everything surrounding A/A's 'relationship,' than it did with actually wanting Aaron.

When Doug asked Aaron, how Aaron would feel if he or Vivek had tried to get at Zoey, and Aaron clearly was unamused? Was pretty much Zoey's exact reaction.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:20 AM, possibilities said:

I might have to stop watching this show. Just reading the description, I started rolling my eyes in disgust.

There is no reason for that kind of drama over the mere fact that Ana and Aaron are together.

I don't think I ever had this kind of melodrama even as a teen. I mean... I had drama, but not THIS utter nonsense.

*sigh*

I'm old.

I completely agree with you.  It is the most ridiculous theory.  I have, literally, dated someone who was great but not great for me.  I would introduce him to a friend I thought he would match well with.  We did it all the time.  Mixers?  Anyone?

So can a girl lick her finger and tag all the guys and that's it?  So stupid.

11 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I absolutely think Dre is right. Zoe has proven that when she doesn't have responsibilities, she behaves irresponsibly. By making her responsible for herself, she'll have to sink or swim on her own - and if she swims, she'll feel GREAT. Even a basic college student responsibility like "study for exams" fell by the wayside for her, hence the academic probation. Better she learn this lesson now, when the stakes are a bit lower, than in the work force. Your boss will not care if you're upset that your friend is now dating a dude you liked once. She'll expect you to show up and get your shit done. 

Agreed.

• Love 6

While I love this show, this is the second time the girl crew has had a fight in which one of the ladies looks completely fucking ridiculous.  First, it was Jazz being WAY OVER THE TOP mad at Zoey over absolutely nothing.  (Doug wasn't doing anything at the party that necessitated being told of his actions.)  Now, Zoey is WAY OVER THE TOP mad at Ana over a dude that she decided she didn't want.  I honestly believe in "The Code", but that simply doesn't apply here.  Aaron didn't dump Zoey or break her heart in any way.  They weren't in love.  They never even had sex.  For Zoey to be this pissed about the two of them being together sounds more like stunt writing than a plausible reaction.  In addition, the show needed to spend at least a second (or very many seconds) having Zoey react to the events of the last episode as opposed to being hung up on this stupidity. 

The scene with Zoey and Luca was hilarious simply for the "Toilet wine" references.  

• Love 5

I spent the whole episode wondering where all Zoe's angst was coming from. At best, what Zoe and Aaron had was a freshman year flirtation, but that was it. She's had at least 2 actual, serious relationships since then. What the heck? So Girl Code applies to any guy you ever looked at for more than 10 minutes?

And, way to go, Show. You made Awful Luca a little less awful to me (at least this week-I'm sure he'll be back to making me facepalm soon enough) by making Zoe completely insufferable by comparison. Sigh.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I absolutely think Dre is right. Zoe has proven that when she doesn't have responsibilities, she behaves irresponsibly. By making her responsible for herself, she'll have to sink or swim on her own - and if she swims, she'll feel GREAT. Even a basic college student responsibility like "study for exams" fell by the wayside for her, hence the academic probation. Better she learn this lesson now, when the stakes are a bit lower, than in the work force. Your boss will not care if you're upset that your friend is now dating a dude you liked once. She'll expect you to show up and get your shit done. 

Why I was happy that Dre and Bow kicked Junior out in the season finale of Black-ish. Junior kept wondering and then thought since he scored a big deal at Dre's company life would be perfect, which was crap. You don't get that at 19, thinking now life will be easy going, because you decided college wasn't for you because your college roommate scared you and you ran away for some half ass "gap year". Zoey needed the cut off, because she needed a reality check and Junior needed the kick off too for a reality check. The sad part is, both Dre and Bow got their two oldest in that mind set with their: "I'm a giant man baby" and "I'm a doctor" attitude. The only difference is, both Dre and Bow realized that they need to stop their kids from this road now before they turn around and go: "Why can't I keep a job and why am I working at a car wash?" 

• Love 3

Did anyone else get a vibe that Zoey was avoiding dealing with being cut off and on academic probation by freaking out over A/A instead? The best way to avoid something you don't want to deal with is focusing on something else (that, by definition, isn't as urgent as what you should be focusing on) - not saying that's healthy, just that it's a common thing, at least in my world lol. And Zoey is, what, 19? She does need to grow up, but that's what she's in the process of doing. She wasn't forced to grow up young, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but does tend to create semi-adults that don't always comprehend the impact of their actions on their future or the people around them, and that don't handle things the best/logical way.

• Love 9

One of the commercials showed Zoe's car getting towed and her whining about being cut off, so I assume the show is going to deal with it - they can't not.

I'm a lifelong East Coast urbanite so I don't know much about LA, aside from visiting a few relatives I have out there. But the rent on that apartment has got to be high - big rooms, a good-sized kitchen, a fucking balcony. I don't think there's any legal job Zoe could do that would support her there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I'm a lifelong East Coast urbanite so I don't know much about LA, aside from visiting a few relatives I have out there. But the rent on that apartment has got to be high - big rooms, a good-sized kitchen, a fucking balcony. I don't think there's any legal job Zoe could do that would support her there.

Under normal circumstances, yes, a large three bedroom apartment like that would be really expensive in California, BUT (and this is a huge but), this is an on campus apartment (aka a glorified dorm) so the cost is significantly lower than market value and it’s incorporated into a student’s total cost/financial aid for the term. 

Most colleges require you to pay for the entire semester/quarter at the beginning of the term and the school does not issue refunds if you drop out past a certain point in the term (sometimes if you leave by the second week, you can get a partial refund).

According to the show, they just had midterms which means they’re in the middle of the semester/quarter, so Zoey’s tuition and housing are covered until finals. She still needs to get a job to cover incidentals like food.

She really needs to go to the financial aid office immediately. She’s not the first student to get cut off by her parents in the history of college. There are things that the financial aid office can do to help her cover the costs of next semester so that she can finish the school year. She can get loans, grants, work study, scholarships, etc. in addition to getting a job (and reducing her expenses). Yes, it’s stressful and a pain in the ass, but it’s doable. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

She really needs to go to the financial aid office immediately. She’s not the first student to get cut off by her parents in the history of college. There are things that the financial aid office can do to help her cover the costs of next semester so that she can finish the school year. She can get loans, grants, work study, scholarships, etc. in addition to getting a job (and reducing her expenses). Yes, it’s stressful and a pain in the ass, but it’s doable. 

Because she's not old enough to be independent in the eyes of financial aid (regardless of cut-off status), she wouldn't get grants or work study - and she'll need info from her parents for the loans. I've known people to get married during undergrad solely to get independent status because their parents wouldn't (or couldn't) support them the way financial aid assumed. 

Of course, this is stuff I know now after way too many years in higher ed. At 19, I was an emotional dumbdumb and didn't know about 1/10 of the resources that were available. That is to say, I don't think Zoey's behavior is unrealistic or even all that unusual. But it makes me reflect on how much I've grown since I was her age 🙂

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

this is an on campus apartment (aka a glorified dorm) so the cost is significantly lower than market value and it’s incorporated into a student’s total cost/financial aid for the term. 

I went to college in NYC and we were guaranteed housing all four years because otherwise you had to deal with the NYC rental market, and on-campus housing was much cheaper. And 99.5% of students did live on campus all four years. One of my friends moved off campus junior and senior year and people were like " ... Why?" (He didn't stay in NYC after graduation, either, so everybody thought it was weird.)

ANYWAY, I thought Zoe and her friends had moved off campus, so that's at least one thing she's got going for her. I'm way, way more interested in seeing how she navigates actual adult responsibilities than I am seeing the fallout with this friend group. And I wonder if they'll return to the Kate Moennig/Nomi storyline?

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/7/2019 at 6:05 PM, Empress1 said:

ANYWAY, I thought Zoe and her friends had moved off campus, so that's at least one thing she's got going for her. I'm way, way more interested in seeing how she navigates actual adult responsibilities than I am seeing the fallout with this friend group. And I wonder if they'll return to the Kate Moennig/Nomi storyline?

I thought it was an off-campus apartment, too, with a landlord.  Nomi somehow earned the extra money it cost to live there through summer work, but it's a luxury that financial aid wouldn't cover.  Assuming I'm correct, the lease might not even be in Zoey's name, since she wouldn't have a credit history, but in the name of one of the parents of the 3 girls.  Zoey might have to move into a dorm instead, and Nomi and Ana might need to come up with a third roommate, or whoever signed the lease will be responsible for Zoey's missing rent.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Nomi somehow earned the extra money it cost to live there through summer work, but it's a luxury that financial aid wouldn't cover. 

Nomi said this episode that her parents were paying her rent - she was saying that Ana needed to talk to Zoe because Nomi's parents weren't paying all this money for her (Nomi) to be unhappy, or something like that.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Pallida said:

Because she's not old enough to be independent in the eyes of financial aid (regardless of cut-off status), she wouldn't get grants or work study - and she'll need info from her parents for the loans. I've known people to get married during undergrad solely to get independent status because their parents wouldn't (or couldn't) support them the way financial aid assumed. 

Of course, this is stuff I know now after way too many years in higher ed. At 19, I was an emotional dumbdumb and didn't know about 1/10 of the resources that were available. That is to say, I don't think Zoey's behavior is unrealistic or even all that unusual. But it makes me reflect on how much I've grown since I was her age 🙂

Students in Zoey's situation still qualify for assistance. She can get an unsubsidized Stafford loan. Many schools also offer emergency loans for students. In addition, most universities have the option to waive a student's fees as well as privately sponsored scholarships (which are not based on academics so Zoey's grades/academic probation wouldn't disqualify her) as well as private need based awards.

It's definitely more complicated than just having your parents write a check and these options most likely won't cover all of her costs so again, she still needs to GET A JOB.

There are always jobs on campus that don't require work-study. A friend of mine had an academic scholarship and although her parents could afford to pay for her tuition at Cal, they thought she needed to appreciate her education so she had to get a (non-work study) job washing dishes in the cafeteria.

If Zoey is too precious for manual labor that might ruin her manicure, there are tons of jobs on campus (which I mention mostly because the promos showed her car being taken away and public transit in LA isn't always the best depending on where you're going). Between my friends and me, we worked at the library, the theater (and this was not heavy lifting like building sets - it was standing at the door handing out programs), sitting at the front desk (at the gym on campus, the entrance of a dorm, a department office), the campus book store, the computer lab, the annual fundraising campaign (calling alumni to ask for donations), etc.

• Love 4

It's like she still wants Aaron on the back burner in case she and Luca split.

Exactly. It's an ego thing. It's perfectly fine for Aaron to continue to check for her although she's with Luca. She enjoys the ego boost, but as soon as he moves on, now it's like, wait, I don't have him around to worship me anymore. Zoey doesn't want Aaron, she just wants his attention. 

Watching this show makes me so glad I'm not 19 anymore because I lack tolerance for this foolishness. I'm not saying that I wasn't extra at that age, but I don't think I was this silly. Ana should stop trying. I don't like forced interactions. It'll be awkward because they live together, but whatever. Zoey has way more important things to worry about that Ana and Aaron hooking up.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, SnarkyMcSnarkerson said:

Did anyone else get a vibe that Zoey was avoiding dealing with being cut off and on academic probation by freaking out over A/A instead?

No.  She is so far into herself, and her wants, that this pretend girl code thing got too stupid.  I do agree that some of the gals were all over it too.  Do I think she was already in a crappy mood from the dad thing?  Absolutely and yet she made no moves to negotiate with her parents and find some self awareness to even deal with what was inevitable.

Loved, at the end, when she told Ana that they weren't friends but just roommates.  Girl, you got the cash for the rent?

• Love 3
(edited)

Damn it freeform.. Y'all got me out here siding with a conservative Cuban from Florida or Texas wherever.. Over the woke blk girl from Cali... But Ana you do you girl... This is now the 2nd time zoey done said she was done... Let's not forget she dipped off on Ana in the premiere... If this was real life.. She should do like others are saying And just ask where the rent at.. When its due and if not.. She up outta there... But we all know that won't happen... So I hope the show drags Zoey for a bit and then we get moving on 

Like re-visiting nomi and her predatory ass teacher Freeform already dropped the ball with Kat on The bold type and her power dynamic bull... So don't fail here as well

Edited by UNOSEZ
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

She enjoys the ego boost, but as soon as he moves on, now it's like, wait, I don't have him around to worship me anymore.

That's not true.

Zoey hasn't blinked twice at Aaron dating and/or hooking up with other girls since she chose Luca.

Zoey's supposed feelings for CASH were a bigger factor in she and Luca's relationship than anything Aaron related.

Zoey's issue was with Ana, her supposed best friend, dating Aaron.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ugh, not girl code again.  That’s exactly what they are, girls not women, children not adults.  Zoey and Aaron weren’t married, engaged or anything like that.

Grow the fuck up, children.  Someone needs to slap Zoey across her self absorbed face.

I laughed when Luca threw it back at Zoey, why is she upset unless she has feelings for Aaron?  Zoey didn’t want to deal with that.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8
25 minutes ago, Dee said:

Zoey hasn't blinked twice at Aaron dating and/or hooking up with other girls since she chose Luca.

Then why care about who he's dating? And who else has Aaron hooked up with that Zoey was blase about?

26 minutes ago, Dee said:

Zoey's issue was with Ana, her supposed best friend, dating Aaron.

Sure, I don't deny that, but we'll see if she keeps the same energy and cancels Aaron the way she did Ana.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Then why care about who he's dating? And who else has Aaron hooked up with that Zoey was blase about?

She cares because he's dating her BEST FRIEND. Of all the women Aaron could've hooked up with, he hooked up with someone in Zoey's inner circle.

That's REALLY foul, especially given Aaron & Zoey remained friends after she turned him down.

And, at least thus far. she's actually been shown to be far angrier Ana rather than Aaron.

Plus, Aaron has been living the single life since Zoey made her choice last season. Aaron also was the one who was acting all awkward around Zoey at the beginning of the semester, while Zoey was totally focused on Luca.

Sure, I don't deny that, but we'll see if she keeps the same energy and cancels Aaron the way she did Ana.

Aaron was clearly unhappy when Doug asked how he would feel if he (Doug) or Vivek had tried to get at Zoey, yet nobody is referring to him as selfish for having complicated feelings re: Zoey.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Yuk, Zoey has become a straight up bitch.

So much for being “woke.”

I hope she gets expelled.  That would serve her right.

I posted this last night, and to some extent I still feel that way.  But that's because I'm 100 years old and when you get to be my age, this shit doesn't matter; a very close friend of mine died three years ago.  No, it doesn't matter.

When I went to college a zillion years ago, people said that college had become an extension of high school.  Technically, legally you're an adult, but, if you don't have adult responsibilities, like working, taking care of children, trying to buy a house, being married or in a real committed relationships, you're not really an adult.

Zoey was nasty to Ana because Zoey is learning about boundaries (yes, the B word).  Boundaries are important, if you don't have them you're either a doormat or you build walls around yourself.  Boundaries are about figuring out what feels good and what feels bad.  The problem with Zoey is she can't really articulate why she feels bad.  When she talked to Luca, he told her she must have feelings for Aaron and that pissed him off.  Zoey didn't know how she felt, and what she did was be a bitch to Ana.

I think the problem is that Zoey has feelings not for Aaron, but for Ana.  If I had a real close friend and I found out that she was engaged and never even told me, but other people knew, and let's say it wasn't a messy situation like getting engaged to an ex of mine, I would still feel betrayed.  Why?  Because what type of friendship do WE have if my friend doesn't feel comfortable enough to tell me what's going on in her life?

Zoey's upset because by Ana not telling Zoey about she and Aaron, Ana basically said, "I don't trust how Zoey will react."  Meaning she didn't trust Zoey at all.  How can you have a friend you don't trust?

Girl code basically isn't a silly set of rules, it's about not dumping your girlfriends for a man.  When I went to college, that happened all the time, I went to an all women's college that was near a very large all male (later mostly male) college.  The male college was highly structured and many times girls would stop being friends with other girls because of who your guy was friends with.  (I really should write a book about that place before I go senile!) So I think that's where a lot of the "girl code" comes from and with each generation it gets more confusing.

• Love 3

If I had a friend who didn't confide in me, rather than feeling betrayed, I'd wonder why she didn't trust me and whether I had done anything to make her doubt she could.

I don't think anyone is mad at Zoey for being confused -- except maybe Luca-- but for how she's handling it.

But the show never really addressed why the twins forgave her after they decided she was a bad friend, either. So it might be that they just drop this tantrum, too, when they get bored with it.

In general, I agree that people this age are more volatile and less careful in how they respond to things that upset them. But it doesn't make it reasonable or right, it just makes it annoying in a way that I would hope the show would do more with than they have so far.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

If I had a friend who didn't confide in me, rather than feeling betrayed, I'd wonder why she didn't trust me and whether I had done anything to make her doubt she could.

But that's just it, Ana has NO reason NOT to trust Zoey.

1 hour ago, Dee said:

But that's just it, Ana has NO reason NOT to trust Zoey.

I think Ana was right to reasonably expect that telling Zoey would upset the dynamic between the two of them and the friend group writ large... So she and Aaron needed to be sure it was something serious... Then it just came down to bad timing and TV drama

• Love 4

If Ana assumed telling Zoey was gonna upset Zoey (and their friend group as a whole), that makes her behavior even worse.

Because that means she knew she was potentially gonna hurt her friend, and still went ahead and did it anyway.

I guess it depends on whether you think Zoey being hurt and upset and causing a disruption in the group is because Zoey is an unreasonable, self-absorbed beeyotch, or whether you think what Ana and Aaron really did was inherently wrong.

I'm in the former group. I don't think what Ana did was wrong, and I think Zoey is over-reacting.

I think it's unclear which viewpoint the show is taking. In some ways it seems to support Zoey's point of view, but in other ways, I think it doesn't.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm in the former group. I don't think what Ana did was wrong, and I think Zoey is over-reacting.

How is Zoey overreacting?

Out of all the guys in the world, Ana decides to date one of the THREE guys Zoey was involved with, in the not so recent past; a dude Ana never really cared for AND essentially begged Zoey to choose prior to Zoey going steady with Luca, only for Ana to sneak around behind her roommate's back, instead of acting like a grown woman, and telling her supposed best friend the truth.

Had Zoey done what Ana did to Zoey, everyone would expect Zoey to apologize ad nausem and grovel for Ana's forgiveness.

Edited by Dee

S2.E13: You Decide

To mask her true emotions, Zoey recruits her brother Junior to be her wingman at Titanium for a fun night out, ignoring the drama that is taking place around her. But that backfires when Junior makes an unexpected connection with one of Zoey's friends and she's left to face her emotions up front. Meanwhile, Nomi debates giving Paige another chance.

Promo:

Original air date: 6/12/19

4 hours ago, Dee said:

Junior needing Magnums? Gross.

Just no! So, apparently they had it the other way. Junior was going to show up on Grown-ish and not Zoey on Black-ish. 

(edited)
On 6/7/2019 at 9:08 PM, UNOSEZ said:

This is now the 2nd time zoey done said she was done... Let's not forget she dipped off on Ana in the premiere..

I had forgotten about that.

On 6/9/2019 at 1:45 AM, Dee said:

How is Zoey overreacting?

Out of all the guys in the world, Ana decides to date one of the THREE guys Zoey was involved with, in the not so recent past; a dude Ana never really cared for AND essentially begged Zoey to choose prior to Zoey going steady with Luca, only for Ana to sneak around behind her roommate's back, instead of acting like a grown woman, and telling her supposed best friend the truth.

OMG!  I am more inclined to call Zoey easy after that paragraph.  Back in the day, we would compare notes and laugh.

Let's look at the facts of the character Zoey.  She is a spoiled rich kid.  She does not take her schooling seriously.  SHE CHEATED AND WAS CAUGHT IN CLASS.  She is on academic probation and her parents have cut her off.  Yet she is upset by her roommate, whom she has been terrible to in the past.  She is still acting like she will be living at the apartment when we know the other girls said they can't afford to pay her part of the rent.  She, once again, belittles Ana.  "We aren't friends we are just roommates", line was laughable.  I am sure Zoey is not like a girl I knew whose father paid her schooling and gave her pocket money.  That girl skimped and saved and had like 10k at the end of 4 years in her bank.  We were all, including her dad, proud of her.   I think they need to kick Zoe out.  I would!

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 4
On 6/7/2019 at 6:13 PM, Empress1 said:

Nomi said this episode that her parents were paying her rent - she was saying that Ana needed to talk to Zoe because Nomi's parents weren't paying all this money for her (Nomi) to be unhappy, or something like that.

You may be correct, but I'm fairly sure Nomi said early in the season that she used summer earnings to pay for her share.  I remember thinking how unlikely it was that she could have earned that much over the summer without any special skills.

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

You may be correct, but I'm fairly sure Nomi said early in the season that she used summer earnings to pay for her share.  I remember thinking how unlikely it was that she could have earned that much over the summer without any special skills.

You really never know. Someone I knew worked full time in a tomato canning factory every summer and that’s how he paid for college. He ended up not having to take out any student loans because of that job. 

16 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

You really never know. Someone I knew worked full time in a tomato canning factory every summer and that’s how he paid for college. He ended up not having to take out any student loans because of that job. 

I'm guessing that was a long time ago?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Less than 20 years ago. 

I knew a guy who worked at Demonte for years until it closed down and he was making some good money. In fact, he said his wife and him were going to buy a nice house until they were laid off and then she started losing her eye sight. Of course, I also worked with a few people at a movie theater when I was in college. I barely went out, worked all hours, had to take out loans. They got promoted to managers, were spending money and going to school and barely took out anything. I still to this day talk to them through social media and their excuse was: "We just were good with money." 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Less than 20 years ago. 

Less than 20 years ago is still a long time ago when it comes to tuition and the costs of going to college or university. In the past 20 years, state school tuition costs have rose exceedingly fast. (I could soapbox about the reasons, but that's probably too much detail for here!)

Using California State University tuition as an example since that is presumably the system of Zoey's school, tuition is almost 4x as expensive now as it was in 2001-02. While still lower than the University of California system or other states, tuition alone is $5,472. Add in mandatory fees and being as economical as possible with textbooks, and another thousand or so is added on. Add in housing, and that's not something that a summer job is likely to cover.

A few years ago, while teaching an undergraduate anthropology class, this particular topic is one that really resonated with students. I would out myself as having started at a public university in 1998, and the looks on their faces when I told them what tuition cost told a huge story. We discussed this not to make them feel awful about how much they're spending, rather, to help them think through the importance of putting experience in context and how to intersect facts/data with experience. I wanted to empower these students to say "screw you for implying Millenials are lazy, this is how things are different than even just a decade ago you ignorant fools!" 

• Love 6

Looks like there was no Vivek this episode, unless that was the back of his head on the couch.

Ana was very sexy.

I don't understand why the teacher thinks that just because Nomi isn't in her class anymore, it's OK to date her.

Looks like Zoey is done being an ass, now she can start being a "broke" ass. I have been waiting two episodes for this.

• Love 5

The milk incident would have been enough for me to never forgive Zoey, if I were Ana. It was just all kinds of sick level of meanness and bullying, and it was so gross to pour the milk with her saliva on it all over the cereal. 

Seriously, no wonder Ana didn't feel comfortable telling Zoey, Zoey is a full-on monster if she feels mildly crossed. I wish Nomi or the twins would have called her out, for behaving this way. 

• Love 13

They did mildly try to suggest she get over it, by asking her to hang out together and let go of the beef. But it wasn't really strong enough. Luca also wasn't giving her a pass, but he wasn't being direct, either. I was glad to see Junior get through to her. Aaron also softened her up a bit. It's a little disappointing that they imported dudes to show her their wisdom, though. It's kind of gross that the girls are all drama and the dudes are chill mixed with reasonableness. Does this show actually respect females, or is it just showcasing a condescending tolerance and amusement towards its female protagonists?

The magnum comment was gratuitous. It's like they thought that a guy who is nurturing to his siblings needs to have his masculinity reinforced.

I agree Nomi's professor is predatory. Can't tell your friends? Can't be seen together in public? Major red flags.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Dee said:

Aaron? TRASH.

Junior? TRASH.

Luca? TRASH.

Zoey should've punched ALL OF THEM square in the mouth, Repeatedly.

Luca, I am always iffy on.

Junior just told her that sometime her apologies don't sincere. 

Aaron paid for her bill when her credit card was declined and then straight up ask if she was interested in him. When she said no, he said that she was causing more drama for the whole group.

It would be one thing if Zoey maintained a distant and cold roommate relationship with Ana. But she was literally spitting in Ana's food and Ana in turn was staying away from Aaron.

And Zoey was still the person acting the most upset about everything even though she loves Luca, is not intrrested in Aaron and it has been a week since she found out the truth.

• Love 9
(edited)
10 hours ago, Dee said:

Aaron? TRASH.

Junior? TRASH.

Luca? TRASH.

Zoey should've punched ALL OF THEM square in the mouth, Repeatedly.

How did you get to this conclusion? If anyone was trash this episode it was Zoey. The thing with the milk carton was nasty.

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

The magnum comment was gratuitous. It's like they thought that a guy who is nurturing to his siblings needs to have his masculinity reinforced.

Didn't Junior already have sex on Black-ish? Why is he now acting like it's his first time or something? Do they not share notes across shows?

I agree Nomi's professor is predatory. Can't tell your friends? Can't be seen together in public? Major red flags.

Yup. If she's so scared to be seen by people, just don't date students or get a new job.

Edited by Diapason Untuned
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, nilyank said:

It would be one thing if Zoey maintained a distant and cold roommate relationship with Ana.

Right. 

However, Aaron thrust himself into that relationship, yet again. If Zoey wanted to talk to Aaron, she would've approached him. But her issue was clearly with Ana, but since Aaron wanted to score cool points he made it all about himself.

Junior has NO room to be giving advice about how to be sincere when he runs second only to his & Zoey's mom, in the 'Do As I Say, Not As I Do' race. It's especially gross when you consider, Zoey expected him to be on her side and he's too busy macking on another one of her friends, thus potentially creating yet another awkward interpersonal situation.

Luca is SUPER trash. Like, he's ALWAYS insisting their relationship be on his terms and acts like a petulant child any time Zoey chooses to acknowledge her own complicated feelings.

But of course, this show, much like its parent show is ridiculously misogynistic, so the men are always right. 🙄

Aaron really made a good point when he was talking to Zoey at the bar when he asked if she wanted to date him. I mean, Zoey said she didnt like Aaron like that anymore, she is dating another dude. I dont blame her for being taken aback and pissed that Ana and Aaron didnt tell her what was going on, but she was being petty and mean, and really gross with that milk thing. Aaron and Zoey weren't even really dating or serious, and Zoey was the one that ended it. I think they should have told her if they wanted to keep being a thing, but Zoey was overreacting, in my opinion, especially if she wants all of her friends to take sides and ice Ana out of their group. 

Speaking of Girl Code, does it have anything to say about girls hitting on their friends brothers? Junior really did look good at the bar, and he gave her some good advice. Her apology to Luka seemed like she just wanted to be done fighting and get back to dating, not that she was actually sorry about taking out her anger on him and not speaking to him for a week. Honestly, I would be more upset about THAT than her being super Extra when he was having chill time. 

Even if Nomi isnt in her teachers class anymore, it still very questionable for a teacher to date a student. I think its an interesting issue to deal with for the show, especially with it being a female teacher and student.

• Love 7