Type keyword(s) to search

Sunny Hostin: The Former Federal Prosecutor With the Facts!

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Culture Check: How do we discuss race and ethnicity while being respectful of under-recognized identities we might not understand or share? 

• Start Topic

Discussion of Sunny came up over the weekend, but my thoughts are less episode-specific, so I moved over here.

Sunny is usuallly one of the sharpest people there and sometimes comes off as not as knowledgable about things that affect HER. This isn't a bad thing per se -- she is a lawyer, so that gives her a lot of expertise (I always look to her when we get wacky Jeff Sessions news), and her visceral reactions about Shithole-Gate and the Garcia family have elevated the panel this week, IMO.

The only time I was stupefied was when the young woman from Grown-ish was  co-hosting and Sunny had NO idea kids and teens regularly abuse Adderall for academic purposes, and Joy even had to explain that they did the same thing in the '90s with diet pills (basically, it's all speed).  

Sunny prosecuted marijuana offenders in her career, and now an 11-year-old medical marijuana patient is suing in federal court. I hope the show mentions it, as I'm genuinely interested in Sunny's take.

• Love 7

Sunny is one of the best hosts that the View has ever had. Some have criticized her views on sex and religion and sometimes call her naive. Those views don't bother me in the least.  We all have different opinions about those topics, and at least she's honest about expressing her's.Her intelligence and eloquence on most matters is evident, and I always appreciate her legal expertise.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 16

Some people don't like that head tilt, look up through the lashes thing she does, like she's the Virgin Mary. I also feel the same about MM, they both act like they've never had sex. Like they get the vapers and need smelling salts.  (And with extensions and fake eyelashes, because nothing says virgin like all of that.)

That said, on other topics I don't mind Sunny.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 1

From 1/22/2018 Thread:

1 hour ago, Tammee said:

Not to me.   I think she's very intelligent and educated.  This is type A Sunny. Come on.  I think the transition out of prosecuting was more than she anticipated.  And the remember the backlash in the beginning, she was dogged unmercilessly, for nothing.  All she would do is identify herself and her background so ppl would know she knows of what she speaks.  Course she doesn't need to do that anymore, but might be hard to stop.  Plus that she's not practicing for the most part, she probably can't keep up with law annals and stuff that she had to keep up with then, not so much now

1 hour ago, lexytheblasian said:

How long it’s been since she’s been a “practicing” lawyer is a good thing to consider. Again, not much info online but could still play a very large role in her day-to-day opinions on the show. Still, when she was a panelist on other networks, Sunny was sharper and more on her game...

51 minutes ago, Tammee said:

I did think abt that too.  Not sure how long its been, but say she left to raise a family, thats about 13ish years.  Or could be a case of once bitten, twice shy.  

Even if Sunny isn’t practicing any longer, in order to keep her license, she still has to take CLE (Continuing Legal Education) classes.

As other lawyers who teach but don’t practice.

Cases aren’t tried as shown on television-most are settled. 

So, no, I don’t agree with this “out of practice” or “once bitten twice shy” assumptions. It’s only with the non-legal, social topics she comes across as either being naive, or shows her more conservative views. Plus the whole bowing down to Whoopi. When it comes to the law, she doesn’t need to do any bowing down or brown nosing, because she knows what she’s talking about.

23 hours ago, Kenz said:

Some have criticized her views on sex and religion and sometimes call her naive. Those views don't bother me in the least.  We all have different opinions about those topics, and at least she's honest about expressing her's

Same here.  She expresses her opinions intelligently unlike some blonde person on the show.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It’s only with the non-legal, social topics she comes across as either being naive, or shows her more conservative views. Plus the whole bowing down to Whoopi.

I agree. I just hate when Whoopi undercuts Sunny’s point sometimes when she is making certain legal arguments. Whoopi needs to stop thinking she is the end-all when it comes to certain topics.

• Love 1

I have a lot of respect for Sunny because she expresses her own views, not the views of a political party, her opinions are her own.  She is able to have liberal/progressive views on some topics, and have more conservative views on other topics.  Some of her views are guided by her religious upbringing, some seemed shaped by her experiences.    And yes, she does come across prudish when the topic is sex, but I find that fairly normal considering her age and being brought up in a religious family.  I grew up catholic, and sex was NEVER talked about.  

I also have great respect for Sunny's intelligence.  You have to have a really high IQ to get into law school, to pass all the classes, and to pass the bar exam. She doesn't have to know everything to be considered intelligent.  

• Love 3

Thanks Scorp for moving us over.  I always think too late that I've veered off topic

3 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

I agree. I just hate when Whoopi undercuts Sunny’s point sometimes when she is making certain legal arguments. Whoopi needs to stop thinking she is the end-all when it comes to certain topics.

Yeah, that annoys my shit too

• Love 1
16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

From 1/22/2018 Thread:

Even if Sunny isn’t practicing any longer, in order to keep her license, she still has to take CLE (Continuing Legal Education) classes.

As other lawyers who teach but don’t practice.

Cases aren’t tried as shown on television-most are settled. 

So, no, I don’t agree with this “out of practice” or “once bitten twice shy” assumptions. It’s only with the non-legal, social topics she comes across as either being naive, or shows her more conservative views. Plus the whole bowing down to Whoopi. When it comes to the law, she doesn’t need to do any bowing down or brown nosing, because she knows what she’s talking about.

Yeah. Sunny routinely gets on my nerves, but even if she was out of the workforce for some years as was speculated in the weekly thread, it's not like stay at home moms lose their intellects (I could go for the cheap laughs about losing our minds instead, but am feeling protective of women right now). 

Sunny can get on my nerves because of some of her mannerisms and affectations (which aren't always on display), and because I know she's bright, so when she seems like she doesn't even understand the issue they're talking about (like say why a YouTuber filming a scene featuring the actual corpse of a person who committed suicide is different from a scripted drama that includes a scripted scene of an actor playing a character who kills herself) I want to give her a good cluesticking.

It's like how your own friends and family can disappoint you more than random strangers. I have expectations of Sunny, because of her background and accomplishments, and because she comes across as sharp-minded when it suits. When she doesn't meet those expectations, it ticks me off. 

Edited by General Days
14 hours ago, backformore said:

I have a lot of respect for Sunny because she expresses her own views, not the views of a political party, her opinions are her own.  She is able to have liberal/progressive views on some topics, and have more conservative views on other topics.  Some of her views are guided by her religious upbringing, some seemed shaped by her experiences.    And yes, she does come across prudish when the topic is sex, but I find that fairly normal considering her age and being brought up in a religious family.  I grew up catholic, and sex was NEVER talked about.  

I also have great respect for Sunny's intelligence.  You have to have a really high IQ to get into law school, to pass all the classes, and to pass the bar exam. She doesn't have to know everything to be considered intelligent.  

This is what I like about her, too. She talks like a real person, not some pundit who spews bullet points and follows a party line at all times. That's probably the reason I didn't like her the first time she auditioned, because she was trying to be Sherri Shepherd at the time (based on some well-intentioned--but horrible--advice from Sherri) and I didn't even like the real Sherri Shepherd. Once she stopped trying to be someone else and was herself, I liked her.

I feel the same about Sara and Joy. They feel like real people. I'd say Whoopi is real most of the time, but sometimes she's a bit fake, usually when it concerns getting a dig in at Sunny or interacting with other actors/celebrities.

• Love 2

I found a clip on YouTube titled “Sunny Hostin Uninterrupted.” It’s a few months old but I didn’t even know it existed. Interesting title. Even more interesting, I couldn’t find a video like this for any of the other co-hosts. I wonder why?

Edited by lexytheblasian
  • Love 2

I just watched Sunny on Wendy Williams.  Some on here have asked why sunny talks about her son an not too much about her daughter? I never noticed but I've seen it brought up from time to time. She said on WW her son loves the attention, her daughter not so much. Makes sense,  she'sonly 11, so that's a hard age. When you're kid. Especially if your mom is on tv talking about you.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

I did too. She also said that her and Meghan go out for bourbon after the show. Interesting.

This doesn't surprise me.  Sunny seems like a genuinely nice person.   Would be friends with everyone.   I can see her being the person who remembers everyones birthdays.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Haleth said:

At noon?  I know Meghan likes to drink but I can't picture Sunny throwing one back at lunchtime. LOL

That’s why I said it was an interesting bit of information lol, I can’t see Sunny drinking that early, and bourbon no less. ??

15 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

This doesn't surprise me.  Sunny seems like a genuinely nice person.   Would be friends with everyone.   I can see her being the person who remembers everyones birthdays.

I agree with you, I was more surprised that Sunny would be drinking bourbon so early, lol.

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:17 AM, WarnerCL45 said:

I hate that yellow skirt.  I like Sunny, though.  :o)

What a beautiful family.. I love Sunny and I am so happy that she is on the show.. I love hearing her perspective on things..

• Love 12
20 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

I can't remember the exact details, but I think the point was that she didn't want her husband to ever see her without makeup.  I find that really sad, especially after many years of marriage.   It sounds like something that women felt they needed to do many, many decades ago.  Look pretty for your husband at all times!  Otherwise he'll wander!

I would last about two minutes in a relationship where I felt I couldn't look like myself.  I don't know if Manny makes her feel insecure, or if this is just some ill-advised thing she voluntarily does on her own.  Either way, I think it's awful.  And sad.

I was always on the fence about Sunny, but this is the kind of thing that makes her go way down in my estimation.  Why does she feel she needs to do this?  And what is she teaching her daughter about superficiality, self-esteem, and self-worth?  For someone so high and mighty about being a good mother, she really needs to think about that.

i haven't been watching the view very long, i saw the following clip the other day. she says she doesn't fart in front  0f her husband.

• LOL 3

wants to add a different element to the mix: the viewpoint of the victims of a crime.

Investigation Discovery has greenlit “The Whole Truth With Sunny Hostin,” a six-episode documentary series that will show Hostin traveling to various parts of the United States to explore the stories behind some of the nation’s most notorious homicides. She says she is eager to include the perspective of people who have been affected by the crimes, not just the criminals and the legal system around them.

In each hour, Hostin will examine evidence with law enforcement and forensic experts who were first assigned to the case. She will also connect with prosecutors and defense attorneys. And then she will show viewers how evidence is gathered and take them through a trial.

• Love 7

From several years ago.

Mark Twain said, "The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." However, Sunny Hostin will tell you that the most important day in your life is the day you decide who you will not be. Sunny will detail how an early trauma in her life defined who she would not become and led her on the path of discovering her possibilities.

• Useful 1
On 4/8/2019 at 8:02 PM, RealHousewife said:

I enjoy Sunny. She is professional, intelligent, classy, and definitely agree with authentic. 

I'd like her to have a more professional/less glam look on her new series.

• Love 1
On 2/18/2019 at 6:05 PM, falltime said:

i haven't been watching the view very long, i saw the following clip the other day. she says she doesn't fart in front  0f her husband.

My mother told us we were never ALLOWED to fart.  When I tried to tell that to my little boys, my 7yr old said, "But Mommmmm, it's a normal body function!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 4/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, babyhouseman said:

I hate when I read things like this. Mostly because we know it's not true. They shouldn't treat the audience like idiots. Of course they can't come out and they hate each other. How about you just don't put out fluffy lies like that article and we will keep believing what our eyes see watching the show. I also hate it because it completely lets Meghan's shitty behavior and treatment of coworkers off the hook . "lol, we're just passionate we laugh at the rumors, we're friends." 

Meghan treats them in such a disrespectful way, but hey it's no biggie.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I hate when I read things like this. Mostly because we know it's not true. They shouldn't treat the audience like idiots. Of course they can't come out and they hate each other. How about you just don't put out fluffy lies like that article and we will keep believing what our eyes see watching the show. I also hate it because it completely lets Meghan's shitty behavior and treatment of coworkers off the hook . "lol, we're just passionate we laugh at the rumors, we're friends." 

Meghan treats them in such a disrespectful way, but hey it's no biggie.  

This is going to push Megan to become worst and she will do something that even her protector Whoopie will have to say something to reign her in.. I actually think that Whoopie will be the one to take her down verbally.  

• Love 8