Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Damsels in Distress

• Start Topic

I'm quite possibly just predisposed to hating everything about her, but I thought it was tacky for Char to single out Stanley with a "good luck" when she left the runway. Very sad to see Kelly go. 

My bottom 3 was Char, Ken and Helen. It made me LOL that Helen said she'd never done anything like this before when her dress was fucking identical to her Season 12 Butterfly dress. Stanley, Edmond and Kelly's were definitely too plain, but at least well made and deserved to be safe. 

My Top 3 was Anthony, Merline and Candice, who I think was inexplicably passed over for the second week in a row. Ari's was pretty, but like last week, was too commonplace. 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I didn't mind Kelly's earphones or bodice, but when her model came out all I could think was Gretchen's granny panties.

Thought Char's DET FIRE DEPT on the back was right out of kindergarten craft day, not only in its childish execution, but in the idea that you needed the letters on the back to figure out who this person was supposed to be.

I thought the same thing, but what's to say someone didn't meet the apocalypse at bedtime?  I really liked this outfit and the lace effect. 

Some of these sewtestants have been virtually invisible the first two eps.  Melissa, anyone?

Not saying they couldn't meet the Apocalypse at bedtime and I thought it was pretty - but I find it funny the judges never commented on the night gown design. They've been pretty vocal in the past about something being costumey or looking like night wear - but not this time. 

4 hours ago, tessat said:

Everyone is complaining about the gowns - but the end of the world may very well come in the evening where many rich or celebrities are out to a gala, benefit ect.... When the end comes - it's going to come - you won't get a notice so you can run home and put on jeans, sweatshirts and comfortable boots.

I liked some of the gowns. Loved Anthony's (but I just love Anthony and have since his first appearance years ago)

I just thought it would have been an interesting take on the challenge to have "the girl" assemble her outfit after the end of the world had happened rather than have her wearing whatever she had on at the time of the destruction. It would have differentiated that design from the others. I can't remember what the exact instructions were (was the girl supposed to have been taken by surprise?) and I don't care enough to re-watch. Even if the instructions were to have the girl wearing whatever she'd had on at the time of the apocalypse, she could have been wearing chic urban streetwear or sportswear... or was "party" part of the challenge? Maybe distressing urban chic just was too boring or "safe" since jeans have been distressed since forever. But it didn't have to be jeans.

28 minutes ago, Oholibamah said:

I'm quite possibly just predisposed to hating everything about her, but I thought it was tacky for Char to single out Stanley with a "good luck" when she left the runway. Very sad to see Kelly go. 

I was taken aback by that as well at first... it's possible that she was just standing closer to Stanley (again.. don't care enough to re-watch). Or that she and Stanley were closer emotionally. Or that she thought he deserved to stay and Kelly deserved to go. Or that he was at greater risk. Or maybe she just didn't like Kelly for some reason.

There are so many possible variables, that I don't think we should read to much into it or judge it too harshly.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 3

Oddly, I am both sad and glad the used tampon dress didn't make the final judging.  Sad, because I can only imagine the resulting commentary, and glad because I don't think Alyssa, Isaac, and Georgina could have done it the justice that Heidi, Zack, and Nina would have done.  Let alone what our favorite Duchess of Orange would have blurted out!

• Love 3

I thought that this was a great idea for a challenge.  Something different, open, free, and individual-based.  I also think that you could really tell that the designers are 'all-stars' - I think if a regular PR cast did this there'd be a lot more disasters.  The 'bad' outfits weren't that bad.  The runway show as a whole was just great.

This was an ouch because I understand that Kelli is a huge fan favourite.  Her look reminded me of Saint Laurent - all the fishnets.  

I actually like Stanley but his outfit - yeesh.  I said the same thing that Danielle did - it was too dated.  I actually liked the gold mesh top.  I didn't like the skirt.  Of course the judges had the reverse opinion, WTF?  

Here were the outfits I liked:

Char's, because Char is the Queen of Pants this episode.  (I think Kimberly actually might be the real Queen of Pants, but it's been so long so I forget.)
Helen - I know that Helen's personality leaves a lot to be desired, to put it mildly, but I have to admit, I DO like her designs.  I always find them sexy and feminine.  Sometimes really clean.  This time it wasn't as clean but I thought it was really gorgeous.
Merline - Loved Merline's, as the judges did.
Edmond - Loved his!!  His model was like Queen of the Runway this episode.

There was absolutely zero camera time for Melissa, Ken, and Kimberly.  I guess I understand it, but I found it interesting.  You'd have no idea that Ken is part of the cast this episode.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I think AM’s haircut is aging...but jmo. This spin-off is so bad compared to original. But then I am a Heidi fan. Not sure why gowns would be the thing when world ends...think they just like making gowns.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Bebecat said:

think they just like making gowns.

Gowns don't require fitted trousers.  Gowns don't require arms set in a bodice.  Fittin a model, gowns can (on a flat chested model ) be as simple as two seams under the arms for adjustments.  Dropped crotch pants: how to avoid a camel toe. 

Remember when Christian Siriano got called Princess Puffy Sleeves?  Puffy sleeves allow you to inset a puffy sleeve and your sleeve fitting is done.  Smart Chrisian. 

• Love 1

Isaac thought the pants with trains were so innovative. For years, I have seen people wearing jeans that are way too long (which results in the street or concrete distressing them), but I guess this was a little different. 

Helen wants everyone to focus on her. "These are my favorite pants!" And other moments that I can't remember. 

Loved Candace's. Loved how she attached distressed stripes/strips of fabric to the pants. 

I am so conflicted about Georgina. She is stunning. Even more beautiful than Angelina Jolie, imo. Her critiques prove to me that she is legitimate and knows what she's talking about. She could have been a trophy wife to ANYbody, if that was her goal. She could have succeeded on her own merits, albeit more slowly (I am one of the few who like her dresses). Why marry such a repulsive POS?

There are two models who seem really inexperienced. Unless the designers instructed them to, waving around the cape or full skirt while walking the runway looks really amateurish. Something a kindergarten student would do. 

• Love 3

Had been looking forward to this, but as it progresses, actually kind of *meh* on the whole thing so far. Some of these designers are: I didn't like them the first time around, so why do I want to see them again?

Then there's Helen who's now back just as much as Kate was, at one point, and everyone was furious with Kate for being back all the time. I never liked Helen and while some of her designs don't offend me, I would never buy from her as I'm so opposed to her based on what I think of her as a person. If I'm proven wrong, I'll alter my opinion, or maybe I won't; not everyone has to like everyone else. I like Anthony, but he wears a bit on me with his over-the-topness. I find him funny for the most part, though, and I was genuinely happy he won this week, especially after he was on the struggle bus for a large part of the episode.

No one is doing anything that super stands out for me, but there's nothing that seems horrible yet, either. Most of the other people actually don't bother me or phase me one way or the other at all.

I don't care if Kelly is gone, sorry to you who love her and were rooting for her; and my feeling has nothing to do with Ashley. I didn't like the way SHE seemed to think she should have been the winner for her season, because that's not up to her to decide. Also, I find a great deal of her stuff not just derivative of the 70s, but PURE 70s. Like, almost copies. Having said that, I thought the textile she made was truly amazing and I was super impressed with the amount of work. The fishnet car wash stuff, just no. And the earmuffs? No to the third power.

Alyssa always amazes me how cute she is everywhere I see her pop up EXCEPT PR All Stars. It must be a show stylist? Why do they hate her? I would just like to add, as a final thought for this week, I really despise her apparent fondness for Helen. And I don't understand it. Alyssa seems like a perfectly nice person who would not care for someone like Helen at all. Or maybe I'm imagining it (the Helen love).... If I am, I stand corrected...

• Love 3
On 1/13/2018 at 0:05 PM, enoughcats said:

Dropped crotch pants: how to avoid a camel toe. 

Well yes, but then you have the unpleasant problem of poopy pants.

No winners for either, thinks I

• Love 2
On January 12, 2018 at 3:46 PM, meowmommy said:

I didn't mind Kelly's earphones or bodice, but when her model came out all I could think was Gretchen's granny panties.

Thought Char's DET FIRE DEPT on the back was right out of kindergarten craft day, not only in its childish execution, but in the idea that you needed the letters on the back to figure out who this person was supposed to be.

I thought the same thing, but what's to say someone didn't meet the apocalypse at bedtime?  I really liked this outfit and the lace effect. 

Some of these sewtestants have been virtually invisible the first two eps.  Melissa, anyone?

IMO Char's fabric was a bad choice, too. Just awful all around. 

• Love 1
On January 13, 2018 at 0:18 PM, jackjill89 said:

Merline and her stupid hats make me all stabby. I've never cared for her. I thought her dress last week was hideous. This week's was much better, but I really want to smack the hat off her head every time I see her. 

She's channeling Rocky. 

image.jpeg

• Love 3
On 1/12/2018 at 0:51 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

The designers see them.  Then the judges see them.  Two separate filmings and then production splices the impression shots together.  

The designers watch the runway first (like a dress rehearsal)... No judges. That's when they do all their hootin'... hollerin and back-patting. Then the designers watch the runway show with the judges there. That's when the designers notice the judges' expressions while watching certain designs. The designers are silent while viewing the show with the judges. Their comments are edited in to seem like it's all happening a the same time.  

• Love 5
On 1/12/2018 at 6:25 AM, BusyOctober said:

I have to admit I wasn't really able to focus on the fashions on the runway this week.  I was too distracted by whatever the F was going on with Isaac's throat area.  Was he hiding a recent cosmetic procedure to lift turkey neck?  Was that a fashionable tracheostomy collar?  Is he trying to capture the "Hamilton" buzz & introduce 18th century men's neck-wear as the newest trend?  Inquiring minds need to know.

I genuinely burst out laughing with my first look at Isaac’s get-up. I find him entertaining most of the time and usually get a kick out of his “looks,” but this one was hilarious.