Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Damsels in Distress

• Start Topic

The designers are such idiots with big mouths! The judges aren't supposed to know who did what, but they're each screaming at one another how much they love something and the designer's saying "thank you!" Mohrons! ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 3

I love Merline. "My girl is from 2181.  She's half-human and half some species I don't even know."  Love her look, Ari's, Stanley's, and Edmund's.  And also Anthony W's!!

I was pretty sure Anthony would win.  Outstanding!!  Sorry to see Kelly leave but her design was bad.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 4

Many, many times in many, many seasons we have laughed when the guest judge giggles and says "I'd wear that".  Well, I think tonight's guest judge might just have earned herself a hop to the head of the top five worst "I'd wear that" with Anthony's thingee.  

And after watching it, I need another evening shower, maybe two.

Edited by enoughcats
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Michichick said:

Noooooo. I love Kelly, so I'm bummed. My rooting interest in this season has disappeared.

I thought Stanley was toast, but I guess the judges thought she concentrated on her accessories too much! I won't miss her going back to her first appearance on the show! She rubbed me the wrong way back then! If people remember, she was part of the crowd that threw Ashley under the bus in their team challenge! It was almost bullying and she never really accepted how ugly that scene was making her cry! ;-(

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

If people remember, she was part of the crowd that threw Ashley under the bus in their team challenge! It was almost bullying and she never really accepted how ugly that scene was making her cry! ;-(

In retrospect, another interpretation might be that she saw things in Ashley's talent package that made her question why Ashley was there.  And that editing wanted Ashey to become the first larger sized designer and would edit anyone to appear difficult if they stood in the way of the Ashley wins arc.  

• Love 17
24 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

I thought Stanley was toast, but I guess the judges thought she concentrated on her accessories too much! I won't miss her going back to her first appearance on the show! She rubbed me the wrong way back then! If people remember, she was part of the crowd that threw Ashley under the bus in their team challenge! It was almost bullying and she never really accepted how ugly that scene was making her cry! ;-(

Well! I didn't like Ashley! So, I don't care! I love Kelly and am sorry to see her go!

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Michichick said:

Well! I didn't like Ashley! So, I don't care! I love Kelly and am sorry to see her go!

I don't have to like someone to think it awful a group of "means girls" ganged up on a plus-sizer! It just wasn't a pretty sight! It took me back to grammar and HS; it was bad! ;-(

• Love 11

I laughed that so many were wearing gowns and dresses during the apocalypse. 

I don't know what Amanda's was supposed to be.  Shredded butterfly?  Who would be wearing that and for what occasion?  I sure would be pissed if I were wearing that when the world exploded or burned.  Who wants their only remaining outfit after an apocalypse to be a jumpsuit you have to take off completely to pee?

• Love 17
12 minutes ago, izabella said:

I laughed that so many were wearing gowns and dresses during the apocalypse. 

I don't know what Amanda's was supposed to be.  Shredded butterfly?  Who would be wearing that and for what occasion?  I sure would be pissed if I were wearing that when the world exploded or burned.  Who wants their only remaining outfit after an apocalypse to be a jumpsuit you have to take off completely to pee?

Funny, back in my 20's I had a few pieces like that I had to take off to use the bathroom; jumpsuits, bike-riding suit, and cotton one piece Henley's from International Male! Lucky for me I had an iron bladder and could hold a gallon of fluids! It could be a real pain taking off those suits when out on the town! ;-)

• Love 2

I'm fine with making the designers distress their fabric, but why did they also have to make the challenge about post-apocalyptic outfits? That element just makes all of the gowns seem ridiculous.

Candice's didn't really look apocalyptic to me. Instead it looked like a polyster kimono paired with chef pants that got left in the dryer too long which burned holes into the fabric (I speak from experience - once when I had a really old dryer that wasn't venting properly, it melted the elastic in one of my socks). Alternate interpretation: the black and white outfit with holes in it made it seem like a chef or a mime had a minor accident in the kitchen.

Char's looked like someone stitched together two halves of different shirts (which just happened to be the same color), added a strip of safety tape, and then paired the whole thing with pants that used to belong to someone 6" taller.

Helen's looked like a Macy's prom dress from the 90s that was hung in the back of a closet and at some point in the last twenty years, a cat got inside and clawed the shit out of it. I just rolled my eyes when she fired up the blowtorch and then asked if bleach was flammable.

Ken's looked like a cream colored dress that someone wore out into a muddy field, hence the reddish brown splatters at the bottom.

Kimberly's rope bodice was interesting, but maybe not in a good way. I didn't like that big sash of fabric on the side. My other issue was that from far away, this did not say post-apocalyptic at all. From a distance, it just looked like a black dress that had a frayed hem (heh, I guess that just means it would fit into any regular PR challenge these days since so many people have given up on hemming properly in recent seasons!).

Kelly's model was working it. I didn't love Kelly's look but I liked that she at least did something besides burn some holes or rip up the fabric and call it a day. Unfortunately, the end product looked like a 90s rave outfit. I guess at least we got the hilarious imaginary visual of Georgina taking her seven year old daughter to Burning Man.

Amanda's design looked like a faded fug unitard. The long coat thing over it looked like a large version of those old macrame hanging plant holders. There was nothing I liked about this, from the sad anemic colors to the coat that looks like you'd keep getting your arm stuck through one of the holes.

Ari's was pretty but post apocalyptic. I liked the ombré color and the way he used the burnt out holes to complement that effect with darker burns at the bottom. The holes also looked more organic than everyone else's distressing (which looked much more deliberate/obvious).

Josh's looked like a costume to me. Between the bullseye, the vinyl jacket, and the wax dripping on the shoulders, it just looked like too much yet nothing good.

Merline's looked too lumpy with all of those stiff panels, but I liked how sharp the lines were.

Fabio's zebra print with the stiff collar was interesting but I hated that hat. It made his model look like a grandma on a cruise ship.

Edmond's looked very high fashion. I liked the subtle contrast between the blue fabric underneath and the black on top.

Stanley's looked like a prom dress that lost a fight with someone's lighter during the after party. I hated that olive green color.

Melissa's looked like a garbage bag tied shut with a strap from a straitjacket.

Anthony's dress was distressed but strangely beautiful. His model was fierce in that dress. She was giving me Grace Jones vibes with that stare. She looked like a flower blooming out of the ashes. To me, Anthony's mini journey during this episode is what's possible when PR is done well. He started the challenge freaking out because he loves fabric and the thought of distressing it or ruining/destroying it was completely foreign to him, but by the end, he had come around. Not only did he learn something new but he embraced it and loved it (as opposed to gritting his teeth and just getting it over with while being a whiner the entire time and saying that all he wanted was to be mediocre enough to get through to the next week).

How could Isaac say this was the best runways on the show ever? No, that was a whole lot of shit with a few good items.

I love how excited everyone was when Anthony won.

I was surprised that Kelly was eliminated because the judges usually keep someone who does unexpected or unusual things.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
Typo
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, AUJulia said:

Also whose dress looked like a used tampon?

Ken's.  And I just knew that would land him in the bottom.  Silly me.

At one point, one of the judges mentioned that a sleeve or shoulder on Merline's garment looked "unfinished" and my eyes nearly rolled right from my head.  Wasn't that the point of the whole challenge?  

So bummed that Kelly from the Deli is gone.  I thought Stanley was toast.  

But YAY for Anthony!  Loved everything about his girl and I could watch him trying to light that blowtorch all day.

• Love 9

Posting as I'm watching this online this morning - love this challenge - it's something different and the contestants are so funny. I'm not a fashionista - most times I don't agree with the judges so my likes and opinions are probably way off when compared to those in the industry. I just know what I like and would buy to wear as a middle class woman. Hated Alyssa's dress!

Candice - looked good as she was constructing it but didn't care for it on the runway - it looked like a total mess

Char - loved her look - classy but distressed - I thought  Amanda  was funny thinking that just because she was a fire fighter - it had to be burnt - fire fighters do more than just fight fires!

Helen - her model looked apocalyptic - but the dress reminded me more of Morticia Adams - cobwebby

Ken - my favorite so far - just loved it - distressed yet real classy

Kimberly - looked more sadistic than apocolyptic

Kelly - looked like Jane of the jungle - I'm sure she wouldn't be wearing the ear muffs in the dance club she lit on fire!

Amanda - I don't know what to say - I thought it looked nice on the mannequin but not a fan of it on the runway

Ari - loved the color but it reminded me of a nightgown and bathrobe - judges really? It looked more like a nightgown close up!!!!!

Josh - was cool - I liked it - not commercial like some of them but cute

Marlene - liked it but you couldn't see the geometric pattern - she would have been better trimming it in silver or a different color to make it pop - up close - looked great!

Fabio - I liked it but it didn't appear distressed

Edmund - I did like his outfit - probably my 2nd pick

Stanley - I like Stanley but didn't like the color - tho he hit it with the distressed look

Melissa - love, love, love it - new top pick!

Anthony - loved it - he really brought it together 

My top pick - Ken, Anthony, Josh

Bottom: Kelly, Amanda, Kimberly

OK my prediction - Anthony winner as he had the most screen time and didn't know what he was doing - loser - Stanley - although I think Kelly should go home. Totally shocked that who I thought should win and who I thought would lose actually did!

Now back to read all the comments you folks left!

• Love 3

NEVER did I hear anything like the audible GASP that greeted Anthony's fabulous "Gambia Girl at the Met Ball, Post-Apocalypse" gown.

I noticed that too. I wonder if there have been gasps or other exclamations in the past but they were edited out.

Anthony needs to tone down his performing "personality" in his THs. He borders on ridiculous.

Surely Isaac is singing for his Lifetime supper when he gushes "best runway ever." Wasn't he around in the first season?

Glad Merline has toned down the loud behavior in the work room. She's doing better work.

So far, so good - no "I should win because my dog died" stories and no mean girls and nastiness. I'll keep watching.

• Love 4

I loved Anthony's, Candice's and Ari's. I would wear them all. I think I tend to have a post apocalyptic shredded destroyed look to my wardrobe anyway, tho that's more cuz I'm a thrift store queen with no sewing skills who wears clothes til they fall apart. Holes and undone seams and rips and tears? Hey, it's a style.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Pattycake2 said:

So bummed!  Kelly is so different. And I thought she was robbed during her season. Boo Hoo. 

She was absolutely robbed in her season. And this time, the other guy with the ugly quinceanera dress should have gone. I thought original/unexpected always trumped boring? If I recall correctly, it took Kelly a few episodes to find her feet in her season. She hovered near the bottom for a while, then turned a corner and became an irresistible force. I am truly sorry to see her go for several reasons--her positive, cheerful personality; her unique perspective; and the fact that she is a breath of fresh air in an increasingly tired franchise. Kelly is an original. I am really surprised she was cut, since she's a fan favorite on top of it all.

• Love 14

I have to admit I wasn't really able to focus on the fashions on the runway this week.  I was too distracted by whatever the F was going on with Isaac's throat area.  Was he hiding a recent cosmetic procedure to lift turkey neck?  Was that a fashionable tracheostomy collar?  Is he trying to capture the "Hamilton" buzz & introduce 18th century men's neck-wear as the newest trend?  Inquiring minds need to know.

• Love 18
30 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

She was absolutely robbed in her season. And this time, the other guy with the ugly quinceanera dress should have gone. I thought original/unexpected always trumped boring? If I recall correctly, it took Kelly a few episodes to find her feet in her season. She hovered near the bottom for a while, then turned a corner and became an irresistible force. I am truly sorry to see her go for several reasons--her positive, cheerful personality; her unique perspective; and the fact that she is a breath of fresh air in an increasingly tired franchise. Kelly is an original. I am really surprised she was cut, since she's a fan favorite on top of it all.

I adore Kelly and am very sad to see her go over Stanley.  I could/would not wear what she designs but I totally appreciate her point of view.  What she presented this week wasn't her best, but I would have looked forward to what she made every week because I know it would have been interesting.  Stanley? We'll get the same ballgown from him.  Yawn. 

I actually liked this challenge a lot. At least they weren't designing a fucking Dixie Cup.   Many of the outfits had an almost avant garde look about them which I thought seemed appropriate for the challenge.  I thought they all should have been a bit ridiculous looking otherwise the runway would look like a bunch of Walking Dead extras.  

• Love 8
1 minute ago, beaker73 said:

I actually liked this challenge a lot. At least they weren't designing a fucking Dixie Cup.   Many of the outfits had an almost avant garde look about them which I thought seemed appropriate for the challenge.  I thought they all should have been a bit ridiculous looking otherwise the runway would look like a bunch of Walking Dead extras.  

I agree, I liked the challenge a lot too. As to the number of gowns, why the hell not? Its all invented anyway! Maybe in some dystopian future everyone will be foraging in the rotting shells of Nordstrom and Nieman Marcus for old evening gowns, in an effort to enjoy luxuries of the past. I really liked the "tattered finery" perspective. Anyone remember that old Twilight Zone episode with a very young Charles Bronson and Elizabeth Montgomery, who were opposing combatants in some dystopian future? They couldn't speak each other's languages, but they were probably the last people on earth and developed an uneasy alliance. He found a gown in an abandoned store, and she wore it. If the world was some sort of smoking ruin maybe everyone would want to deck themselves out in the fanciest, most beautiful things they could find. I didn't mind it at all.

• Love 17
53 minutes ago, beaker73 said:

I actually liked this challenge a lot. At least they weren't designing a fucking Dixie Cup.  

Sorry for being too lazy to research this, and I don't expect you guys to research it, but does anyone know, off the top of your head, if the same people who create PR create All Stars? I think Weinshitheadstein is executive producer of both, right?

But so many differences regarding sophistication and quality.

Intermix vs. CVS accessory wall?

The creativity regarding inventing challenges for the designers?

Sponsors throughout the season?

The relay race last week was fun and clever.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Sorry for being too lazy to research this, and I don't expect you guys to research it, but does anyone know, off the top of your head, if the same people who create PR create All Stars? I think Weinshitheadstein is executive producer of both, right?

But so many differences regarding sophistication and quality.

Intermix vs. CVS accessory wall?

The creativity regarding inventing challenges for the designers?

Sponsers throughout the season?

I think All Stars is Weinstein (eew) too which is how we got the "Gorgeous Georgina Chapman" as a regular judge.  I may be wrong though. 

I, too, noticed the big upgrade to the accessory wall. What was it in the regular season? JC Penney? 

• Love 2

seriously, I think these are GORGEOUS and creative and i'd totally wear them as the world wound down and anarchy ensued. honestly, I liked Stanley's too, tho. And Ken's. and honestly, all of them, to some degree. I agree this was one of the best runways ever, or anyway, one of my faves.

anthony.jpg

ari.jpg

candice.jpg

• Love 12
13 hours ago, enoughcats said:

In retrospect, another interpretation might be that she saw things in Ashley's talent package that made her question why Ashley was there.  And that editing wanted Ashey to become the first larger sized designer and would edit anyone to appear difficult if they stood in the way of the Ashley wins arc.  

OMG, the dreaded "edit" defense! What about the $#!t that came out of her own mouth? Please; those b!tches all but tried to sabotage Ashley! ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

OMG, dreaded "edit" defense! What about the $#!t that came out of her own mouth? Please; those b!tches all but tried to sabotage Ashley! ;-)

Have a look here, listen to the podcast too, and we'll talk about it later, if you still think that "edit" didn't play any role at all :)

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

Have a look here, listen to the podcast too, and we'll talk about it later, if you still think that "edit" didn't play any role at all :)

I heard it a few weeks ago and reposted it a couple other places! You never would have known the animus this man has for his fellow cast mates; esp. Zack! It was shocking and I listened to all 90 min.! We're a lot alike; home is our sanctuary and we don't necessarily get along with family just because they're family! I must have missed out on a lot of hugs as a child! lol! ;-)

8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Anthony's dress was distressed but strangely beautiful. His model was fierce in that dress. She was giving me Grace Jones vibes with that stare. She looked like a flower blooming out of the ashes. To me, Anthony's mini journey during this episode is what's possible when PR is done well. He started the challenge freaking out because he loves fabric and the thought of distressing it or ruining/destroying it was completely foreign to him, but by the end, he had come around. Not only did he learn something new but he embraced it and loved it (as opposed to gritting his teeth and just getting it over with while being a whiner the entire time and saying that all he wanted was to be mediocre enough to get through to the next week).

Totally agree! I've always loved Anthony, and the way he approached something far outside his comfort zone should be a lesson to contestants, past and future.

On another note.. are we really going to re-hash the Kelly vs Ashley thing here? It always just goes round and round with no consensus. We'll have enough material for that from this actual season. Any minute now a moderator is going to come along and tell everyone to drop it anyway, which I would welcome because it just makes the thread longer with irrelevant posts.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 10

The designers are such idiots with big mouths! The judges aren't supposed to know who did what, but they're each screaming at one another how much they love something and the designer's saying "thank you!" Mohrons! ;-)

The designers see them.  Then the judges see them.  Two separate filmings and then production splices the impression shots together.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I loved Anthony's, Candice's and Ari's. I would wear them all. I think I tend to have a post apocalyptic shredded destroyed look to my wardrobe anyway, tho that's more cuz I'm a thrift store queen with no sewing skills who wears clothes til they fall apart. Holes and undone seams and rips and tears? Hey, it's a style.

I like the look too, and loved Anthony's and Ari's, but I hated Candice's - it looked like a distressed throw pillow from Marie Antoinette's boudoir.

Edited by jrlr
clarification
  • Love 5

Bummed to see Kelly get sent home. She's talented and has a distinct point of view, and is also a charming screen presence. More than I can say for the majority of this season's cast.

If Kelly, a fan favorite who was arguably robbed during her original season, isn't our pre-selected winner this year, I wonder who it could be. Fabio? 

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, jrlr said:

I like the look too, and loved Anthony's and Ari's, but I hated Candice's - it looked like a distressed throw pillow from Marie Antoinette's boudoir.

baha! sometimes, that's just the look i'm going for!

• Love 1

Everyone is complaining about the gowns - but the end of the world may very well come in the evening where many rich or celebrities are out to a gala, benefit ect.... When the end comes - it's going to come - you won't get a notice so you can run home and put on jeans, sweatshirts and comfortable boots.

• Love 1

Me either, I love 'em. Also, I wear dresses and skirts--generally flowy boho-y ones--every day, so if the end of the world comes, that's what i'll be wearing. My biker boots will be sensible tho.

Kelly's look wasn't my fave but I was surprised she got sent home. I did love the earmuffs...like a Princess Leia/Billie Lourd in Scream Queens homage.

• Love 2

I like Kelly, in a "be her friend and hang out in the deli dishing gossip and drinking coffee all day" or "hang in the bar drinking beer and eating potato skins all night" kind of way, but I don't get her aesthetic, and would never wear her clothes.

• Love 10

I loved Alyssa's hair when she was in the workroom with the designers telling them about the challenge.  The short cut really flatters her face.

Was so happy that Anthony won-just outstanding.  And, he didn't complain or give up because it 'wasn't what he does.'

I really enjoyed this challenge and the many wonderful creations that came out of it.  Frankly, I even liked Isaac's look-thought it was interesting and flattering to him.

• Love 4

I didn't mind Kelly's earphones or bodice, but when her model came out all I could think was Gretchen's granny panties.

Thought Char's DET FIRE DEPT on the back was right out of kindergarten craft day, not only in its childish execution, but in the idea that you needed the letters on the back to figure out who this person was supposed to be.

10 hours ago, tessat said:

Ari - loved the color but it reminded me of a nightgown and bathrobe - judges really? It looked more like a nightgown close up!!!!!

I thought the same thing, but what's to say someone didn't meet the apocalypse at bedtime?  I really liked this outfit and the lace effect. 

Some of these sewtestants have been virtually invisible the first two eps.  Melissa, anyone?

• Love 3

Kelly's really didn't seem distressed at all, so I can see why she went, but I'm bummed because I love her. I thought Stanley's looked like a flamenco costume and was sure he'd go.

And Anthony is my favourite. He is just the cutest and I want to hang out with him. I love seeing someone be flummoxed by the challenge, but then find a way to come through it and win. He really seemed like he was so far out of his comfort zone he wouldn't be able to produce anything distressed, and I am happy the mentor finally acted like one (can't stand her) because her advice to him to figure out where she's been to come up with the distressing was exactly what he needed.

• Love 2