Type keyword(s) to search

Announcers we love and/or hate

Just saw a piece with Tirico, MIke? He was interviewing a man, apparently Irish and a golfer who has been visiting different venues and had funny commentary on things. Who is he? I don't follow sports except the Olympics and golf is something I find incredibly boring in every way, shape and form, so there's no chance I know anything about golfers. I know a few names because I used to watch local news but find my life is much happier without it. I know the names Arnold Palmer, Tiger Woods and that's about the end of it.

I too remember Jim McKay doing the Olympics.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Just saw a piece with Tirico, MIke? He was interviewing a man, apparently Irish and a golfer who has been visiting different venues and had funny commentary on things. Who is he? I don't follow sports except the Olympics and golf is something I find incredibly boring in every way, shape and form, so there's no chance I know anything about golfers. I know a few names because I used to watch local news but find my life is much happier without it. I know the names Arnold Palmer, Tiger Woods and that's about the end of it.

I too remember Jim McKay doing the Olympics.

David Feherty.  I liked his commentary, too.

• Love 6

On a fashion note, I'm watching Rebecca Lowe right now and I love her outfit.  It looks like a long sleeved dress over a shirt, but it works and it's not bulky-looking, and she's wearing tights.  It's such a nice change from the female reporters in sleeveless dresses and bare legs, when the temperature is 15 degrees outside.  I don't care how warm it is inside, it just looks weird.  

• Love 3

Here's a link to the New York Post's story from a few days' back on Bob Costas being eased out by NBC.

How Bob Costas is dealing with fading away from NBC spotlight

Costas, the most legendary sportscaster of his generation, has left the prime-time network stage without much fanfare. He was pushed to the side — with his blessing, he is quick to point out — from his last signature event, the Super Bowl. NBC executives decided they didn’t need him after Costas’ consistent criticism of the sport’s impact on players’ brains.

I miss Costas.   I'm a huge baseball fan and appreciate him most as a scholar of that game so I'm glad to read this part:

Costas’ first love remains baseball. He will continue to call 20 or so games on MLB Network and be featured in other specials. He has his eyes set on doing a long-form interview show or series. This summer, he will be inducted into the broadcasters’ wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

OTOH, I'm so glad Matt Lauer is gone.  I never could stand him; I always thought him sleazy.  Turns out (sadly) that I was right.

And count me among those who will always connect Olympics with Jim McKay.  I hated when NBC was first awarded the games.  I always felt that ABC did a better job with them.  But that was a long time ago now...

• Love 12

I never cared for Costas.  I remember when he first started as a co-announcer for the University of Missouri sports on KMOX in St. Louis and he was like an obnoxious little kid then, and I never understood how or why he became such a big deal.  Although I could occasionally appreciate the snarky comments from him, and his sports knowledge, what I absolutely hated was the emphasis on sob stories - which seems to be an NBC problem even at a local level.  OMG, "John Doe had a hangnail at the age of ten, but with determination and an indomitable spirit, he overcame this tragedy to become the most special athlete of all time.". Ugh.

I like Johnny Weir, but Tara annoys the hell out of me.  She never shuts up!  It is not the Tara Lipinsky Show, but she seems to think it is.

I like Mike Tirico.  He's smooth and professional, but not impersonal.

I think there's less emphasis on some of the cultural and local behind-the-scenes stuff than in the 1990s and earlier because people have access to most of that via internet and so many travel shows.  And there may be some sensitivity to the political situation in that part of the world that's keeping the broadcasters from situations where they might accidentally say or do the wrong thing.

1 hour ago, EllenB said:

I never cared for Costas.  I remember when he first started as a co-announcer for the University of Missouri sports on KMOX in St. Louis and he was like an obnoxious little kid then, and I never understood how or why he became such a big deal.  Although I could occasionally appreciate the snarky comments from him, and his sports knowledge, what I absolutely hated was the emphasis on sob stories - which seems to be an NBC problem even at a local level.  OMG, "John Doe had a hangnail at the age of ten, but with determination and an indomitable spirit, he overcame this tragedy to become the most special athlete of all time.". Ugh.

I like Johnny Weir, but Tara annoys the hell out of me.  She never shuts up!  It is not the Tara Lipinsky Show, but she seems to think it is.

I like Mike Tirico.  He's smooth and professional, but not impersonal.

I think there's less emphasis on some of the cultural and local behind-the-scenes stuff than in the 1990s and earlier because people have access to most of that via internet and so many travel shows.  And there may be some sensitivity to the political situation in that part of the world that's keeping the broadcasters from situations where they might accidentally say or do the wrong thing.

Some of the cultural stuff seems to have been purposely pushed to the TODAY show for this Olympics. It is a bit odd for long time Olympics broadcast watchers to see evening coverage that is purely sports.

• Love 4

I really like Tara and Johnny. They are taking this seriously with their research and knowledge,  all the way to their matching outfits. And how they've included Terry.  I love it.

I very much disliked Dick Button in his day. Yes he was critical of poor skating, but he was very biased and not as critical of his favorites. And you could always tell which skaters were his favorites, and which ones were not.

I think Mike Tirico is doing a fantastic job.

• Love 7

Her role is to forecast the jumps which is why it appears that she's talking all the time.  Johnny's role is to provide perspective.  Both of them are a LOT quieter since Terry Gannon stopped ASKING THEM INANE QUESTIONS during the PERFORMANCES!!!  And if Tara talked a lot, it was because Terry would ask, "So why does a skater want to do a spread eagle out of a jump?'  Then they'd spend 5 minutes on that discussion while skaters were STILL SKATING.  We don't care.

I thought I'd miss Bob Costas, but I think Mike Tirico is doing a fantastic job.

NBC could have just asked Al Roker to host.  Mike is pleasant and genial, but has the personality of my uncle who worked in the county clerk's office.  Bob Costas is the snarky cousin who all the kids want to be like. 

I very much disliked Dick Button in his day. Yes he was critical of poor skating, but he was very biased and not as critical of his favorites. And you could always tell which skaters were his favorites, and which ones were not.

You're right.  His favorites were those he thought had the highest potential to be smart, beautiful and excellent performers who understand the importance of basic skating skills.  Sorta like the difference between Michelle Kwan and Surya Bonaly.

The Italians are on--and unfortunately, so is ChattyTanny.  God, SHUT UP.  Now, Terry comes up with his inane question about the difference between the other skating disciplines and ice dancing.  SHUT UP!!  I want to raise my hand and ask Tanny, "Is this going to be on the test?" 

• Love 2

Mike is pleasant and genial, but has the personality of my uncle who worked in the county clerk's office. Bob Costas is the snarky cousin who all the kids want to be like.

This. Mike has been perfectly competent, and is doing a great job. But with Costas, it was like watching two different programs, because when you were just watching it in the background and not really paying attention, it was very professional and to the point, but when you actually sat down and listened, you'd catch all of his dry zingers, and it really was a lot of fun. I think Tirico is afraid to ruffle any feathers, so is doing everything by the book. Hopefully as he grows into the role over the next few Olympics, he'll build more of an on air personality.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, absnow54 said:

This. Mike has been perfectly competent, and is doing a great job. But with Costas, it was like watching two different programs, because when you were just watching it in the background and not really paying attention, it was very professional and to the point, but when you actually sat down and listened, you'd catch all of his dry zingers, and it really was a lot of fun.

IF you didn't mind his constant man-crushes on certain athletes *coughMichaelPhelpscough* that drove him to mention said man-crush Every. Five. Minutes. and make everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) about said man-crush, even when he was interviewing other athletes.  He also had an annoying habit of rambling on during moments that should have been left to speak for themselves, such as when Great Britain won a gold medal and he made some inane comment during the medal ceremony about how we'd be hearing that anthem a lot during the 2012 London Games -- while the anthem was playing.

I, for one, don't miss Bob Costas one little bit.

• Love 6

Leslie's Jones needs to Shut.The.Fuck.Up. I don't want her screaming like a banshee while watching ice dancing. I find it weird this obsession NBC seems to have with her being at the Games. Who the hell cares? I used to like her on SNL but she seems to have one persona and it gets old quickly. And I don't like her mixed into my skating thankyouverymuch. Ugh. OTOH, I would have loved to have actually been able to hear some comments from Adam but nope, just had to endure Leslie shrieking in the studio. Enough with her already.

• Love 7
On 2/12/2018 at 5:02 PM, surreysmum said:

I'm very much enjoying the Kurt Browning/Carol Lane/[Brenda Irving?] combo on CBC TV coverage.  

Kurt was driving me up the wall tonight, during the free dance program. He kept asking about the rules and for clarification on technical things. I literally yelled out YOU SKATED COMPETITIVELY FOR DECADES, KURT - PULL YOUR SHIT TOGETHER! Good lord, it was exasperating. Tonight, after the French pair skated he said, "The writing looks on the wall but can it be erased". WHAT!?

As for American coverage, my heart goes out to you all who are forced to listen to Pierre McGuire at the women's hockey games. It's absurd NBC seems to think having him on board is some kind of "get", but between Pierre and AJ Mleczko (who was still unable to say Noora Raty's name correctly after she played 4 years at UMD, has played for Finland for over a decade, and is arguably the best women's goaltender in the game), it's deflating for the sport. NBC has Erika Lawler back in studio with Tessa Bonhomme - who is Canadian but actually works on-camera for TSN (Canada's ESPN). Too bad those two weren't in Korea calling the games.

• Love 2

I'll second (or third) the sentiment regarding missing Dick Button on skating commentary. A favorite Dick Button comment of Mrs AAEBoiler and mine has to be, "Whatever that was, it wasn't."

Given that, I really enjoy the booth of Terry Gannon, Tara Lipinski, and Johnny Weir ... though Johnny may have to start looking over his shoulder to keep an eye out for Adam Rippon!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AAEBoiler said:

I'll second (or third) the sentiment regarding missing Dick Button on skating commentary. A favorite Dick Button comment of Mrs AAEBoiler and mine has to be, "Whatever that was, it wasn't."

Given that, I really enjoy the booth of Terry Gannon, Tara Lipinski, and Johnny Weir ... though Johnny may have to start looking over his shoulder to keep an eye out for Adam Rippon!

Yeah, Adam may have turned down the present job offer from NBC because he feels his team needs him more, but I definitely don't think that's the last time they'll try to snap him up.

• Love 2

So glad Steve Armitage is there calling speed skating as he should be. Can't wait for swimming in 2020 with Byron. The two of them together are the best. Rio was just not right without him. 

I miss Scott Oake doing downhill skiing commentary with Kerrin Lee-Gartner. They had great rhythm. 

And I feel like I missed something about Ron McLean...why isn't he there doing the main coverage? I definitel missed something right? 

I really enjoy Brenda Irving for figure skating EXCEPT when they show the families in the audience she without fail says, "there is Skater's mother Jane and father Jim." Just say parents! We can figure out who Jane and Jim are!!! Every. Time.

Edited by Lilac2000
  • Love 1

A little Adam Rippon was fine but I really don't want/need to see him anymore, so I'm glad he turned down the NBC gig.  I wish him well but I hope he just sticks to skating, not announcing.  

I agree about Leslie Jones though.  Loud is not funny.  

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Lilac2000 said:

So glad Steve Armitage is there calling speed skating as he should be. Can't wait for swimming in 2020 with Byron. The two of them together are the best. Rio was just not right without him. 

I miss Scott Oake doing downhill skiing commentary with Kerrin Lee-Gartner. They had great rhythm. 

And I feel like I missed something about Ron McLean...why isn't he there doing the main coverage? I definitel missed something right? 

I really enjoy Brenda Irving for figure skating EXCEPT when they show the families in the audience she without fail says, "there is Skater's mother Jane and father Jim." Just say parents! We can figure out who Jane and Jim are!!! Every. Time.

Ron McLean seems to be getting phased out by CBC and he is not on the Olympics crew at all, even in studio. I don't know if it's affiliated somehow with the loss of the HNiC deal but I do miss him.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Disappointed in CBC skating commentary.  I wish Kurt’s comments were a little more insightful.  Of course, I tune them out a lot, so I may be missing the pithy ones.

I feel like Kurt has been told to dumb it down in some respects. Like when he kept asking Carol during the ice dance to go over how it's scored. I am pretty sure he probably gets it although maybe he is aa confused as the average viewer.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Disappointed in CBC skating commentary.  I wish Kurt’s comments were a little more insightful.  Of course, I tune them out a lot, so I may be missing the pithy ones.

You're not.

• Love 2

I think Chad Salmela was channeling his inner Rowdy Gaines for the finals of the women's cross country sprint today. Given the historical significance of the American win, I'm okay with that. 

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, Lilac2000 said:

I feel like Kurt has been told to dumb it down in some respects.

Ha, ha, ha, ha - dumb it down?  Does anything get dumber than sport commentary.  My hubby keeps yelling at the TV & always wonder why he takes it to heart.

34 minutes ago, selkie said:

I think Chad Salmela was channeling his inner Rowdy Gaines for the finals of the women's cross country sprint today. Given the historical significance of the American win, I'm okay with that. 

He went apeshit, though, didn't he?  My throat is sore just from listening to him.

• Love 11

Does anyone else find Bode Miller to be as annoying an announcer as I do?  He just drones on and on like he's in love with the sound of his own voice.  Which he shouldn't be.  I blame him for me falling asleep about 3 skiers into the men's downhill, and again last night during the women's downhill.  No wonder I keep missing skating.

Edited to note that clearly I should've read all the comments first.  Nice to know I'm not alone here.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, surreysmum said:

I can't abide Johnny and Tara because they make it all about Johnny and Tara. But then again, I haven't watched them for a while, so maybe they've improved?

No, they haven't.

On ‎02‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:49 PM, AuntTora said:

Here's an actual transcription of the Alpine announcers:

Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Brief Mention of Other Skiier Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Ways in Which This Skiier is Similar to Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Hey a UFO Just Landed on the Slope! How Will This Impact Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Only Eight Skiiers Until Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin Mikaela Shiffrin /vom

She may be the greatest thing on earth, but I devoutly hope she lays an egg in all the remaining events. Of course that won't change the narrative.

Aside from this, I'm finding the coverage a lot better than it's been in past years. I've actually seen SEVERAL events with no Americans in medal contention.

FYI, Mikaela Shiffrin  is five skiiers away as I type this, and I just counted the times her name was spoken in the last three minutes: eight

You forgot to alternate it with endless repetitions of Lindsay Vonn.

On ‎02‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, Silver Raven said:

Every time I think of Jim McKay, I think of Munich.  Sob.

That was my first Olympics.  Fortunately for me, my parents didn't let me watch much after it got bad, so I mostly remember Mark Spitz swimming and Olga Korbut in gymnastics.  But I do remember his final broadcast on the Israeli athletes.  Heartbreaking.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Lilac2000 said:

I feel like Kurt has been told to dumb it down in some respects. Like when he kept asking Carol during the ice dance to go over how it's scored. I am pretty sure he probably gets it although maybe he is aa confused as the average viewer.

I get the sense that there are pretty big differences between Ice Dance and the other disciplines (aside from the obvious lack of jumps), because I find that singles and pairs skaters often tend to struggle when they have to commentate on it. I actually liked that he seemed to kind of sit back there and let Carol Lane take the lead, since she's clearly more of an expert in the field. I've enjoyed his commentary in the other disciplines personally.

And this isn't really a new thing, but I continue to appreciate that when they recognize something special is happening on the ice they're willing to step back and just let you enjoy it, and then break it down afterward. When Virtue and Moir skated their free dance I don't think they said a word until after the music stopped. Same for Papadakis and Cizeron IIRC.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Lilac2000 said:

I made this same comment during the ice dancing coverage. I had a friend point out to me that Kurt skated back when judging was corrupt and the scoring was different. Even still, I hope he is being deliberate with his questions for the benefit of the audience. He really seems like a fun guy to be around and for the most part I didn't mind him. It's fun to snark, as we all know!

I'm not sure who is doing the snowboard big air for CBC, but they have a nice banter. Whoever the "subject matter expert" is is pretty funny, and the "journalist" is doing well to create a balance between too goofy and slightly professional.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, selkie said:

May we all have at least one event in our life that causes us to match his level of excitement.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, mledawn said:

I made this same comment during the ice dancing coverage. I had a friend point out to me that Kurt skated back when judging was corrupt and the scoring was different. Even still, I hope he is being deliberate with his questions for the benefit of the audience. He really seems like a fun guy to be around and for the most part I didn't mind him. It's fun to snark, as we all know!

I'm not sure who is doing the snowboard big air for CBC, but they have a nice banter. Whoever the "subject matter expert" is is pretty funny, and the "journalist" is doing well to create a balance between too goofy and slightly professional.

I love the CBC snowboard guys. They've been totally great together. And the snowboarding lingo is hilarious. We started making up our own moves and my favourite was from my sister, "the flew-flew boom-boom--awww he missed that last boom." It wouldn't have surprised me if that was real. 

• Love 1

I adore Chad Salmela because he's always so excited at the end of the race. It was hilarious to find that he apparently has a fifth gear in his excitement level. I wish we could have seen video of him at the end of the race. As someone who at one point was in charge of US junior biathlon and cross country development programs, I'm sure this win was huge for him and what it could mean to inspire future US athletes.

• Love 6

I am also impressed with NotBode's (probably Steve Porino but possible Dan Hicks- I mix them up) ongoing ability to immediately cause an alpine ski racer to go off course by talking about how they're usually the most consistent racer out there and haven't had a World Cup DNF for a couple of years. NotBode's latest successful curse- favorite Marcel Hirsher in the men's slalom earlier here. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Does anyone else find Bode Miller to be as annoying an announcer as I do?  He just drones on and on like he's in love with the sound of his own voice.  Which he shouldn't be.  I blame him for me falling asleep about 3 skiers into the men's downhill, and again last night during the women's downhill.  No wonder I keep missing skating.

Edited to note that clearly I should've read all the comments first.  Nice to know I'm not alone here.

Actually, no.  I’m thinking he’s one of the better announcers.  He explains things, compliments other countries’ athletes, and doesn’t sound dumb.  He doesn’t ha ave the best voice for broadcasting, but I can live w/that since he’s insightful and honest.

7 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

I adore Chad Salmela because he's always so excited at the end of the race. It was hilarious to find that he apparently has a fifth gear in his excitement level. I wish we could have seen video of him at the end of the race. As someone who at one point was in charge of US junior biathlon and cross country development programs, I'm sure this win was huge for him and what it could mean to inspire future US athletes.

You can find it online, plus NBC showed it last night.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, selkie said:

Even though I knew the results of the event I still jumped up and screamed with Chad.  What a race and what a call, which reminded me of how excited the great Gus Johnson gets.

• Love 1

How did I not realize my Sweet Baboo Paul Martini was part of the CBC team for figure skating?  Yeah, he's a lousy commentator (far too many words, so glad he's not doing commentary) but he is a blonde-turning silver fox.  

• Love 2
19 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

No, you are not the only one.  I'm just amazed at how long he can go on and on and on without even pausing.  Definitely sleep-inducing.

• Love 1

Loving CBC's Craig McMorris commenting on Big Air and Slopestyle. The guy is obviously having so much fun watching the competition, he can't help but drag the viewers in with his his passion. He does a great job of explaining what is going on, what the tricks are and what all those crazy snowboarding terms mean.

• Love 3

I find Bode's commentary to be super helpful actually when I think about it. The other guy (Hicks?) doesn't really add much at all and sounds like a broken record, but I find myself knowing much more about the nuances of skiing and all the different little reasons that can really alter a run for the skiers just from listening to Bode for the last few days. So props to him for that.

I also like that he displays the same emotion for all the skiers, regardless of what country they're representing - it helps me to know that person individually rather than "well, that skier is not Mikaela Shifrin or Lindsay Vonn, so whatever."

• Love 10
41 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I find Bode's commentary to be super helpful actually when I think about it. The other guy (Hicks?) doesn't really add much at all and sounds like a broken record, but I find myself knowing much more about the nuances of skiing and all the different little reasons that can really alter a run for the skiers just from listening to Bode for the last few days. So props to him for that.

I also like that he displays the same emotion for all the skiers, regardless of what country they're representing - it helps me to know that person individually rather than "well, that skier is not Mikaela Shifrin or Lindsay Vonn, so whatever."

Agreed.  I wrote about it in the Ski thread.  Hicks seems like he was just assigned to announce skiing and knows absolutely nothing about the sport.  "Here she turns left...now she turns right...oh, that's a nice jump...wow, her ski slipped a little there...can she do it...here she comes... no!"

33 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Tara and Johnny will be hosting the Closing Ceremony.

Two more reasons why I will not be watching.  I always find CC so anti-climactic.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Oh, he is knowledgeable, no question about that.  It's just that his voice is flat and he really does need to learn how to pace himself, instead of droning on and on.  It's almost as if he's talking in his own head.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Oh, he is knowledgeable, no question about that.  It's just that his voice is flat and he really does need to learn how to pace himself, instead of droning on and on.  It's almost as if he's talking in his own head.  

Honestly, I'd prefer if Bode stepped away from broadcast commentary and just live tweeted the events. That way I can enjoy his analysis without having to deal with the monotone delivery. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Garden Wafers said:

Honestly, I'd prefer if Bode stepped away from broadcast commentary and just live tweeted the events. That way I can enjoy his analysis without having to deal with the monotone delivery. 

Yes, live tweeting would be great.

Darn it, seems like the starter for the short track skater is now an English speaker. He just says "ready." The other one, sounded like maybe he was Korean, drew out the word, I just liked listening to him. I guess it's because they are down to all the finals.

Is Alpine skiing finished? I got to say, I did complain about Bodie's voice after the first or second day, but after listening more I agree that he's pretty insightful and seems to show The same enthusiasm for all the racers and not just Michaela Shifrin Michaela Shifrin Michaela Shifrin Lindsey Vonn Michaela Shifrin.

That's great that Johnny, Tara and Uncle Terry are hosting the closing ceremony. But I agree with a previous poster. It's just not a very exciting event. I like the part where they announce 'the youth of the world will gather in another four years in X."  But that's about it. 

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 2