Type keyword(s) to search

To Rome For Love - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Meh. I half-watched. I was surprised to see the ex-Mrs. Neely as part of the cast. I used to watch her cooking show with her now ex-husband. I knew about her divorce & it made me sad. Having them all live in the same house seems a little gimmicky. It's like MTV's Real World, but these ladies are too, ahem, seasoned for that kind of mess. The ladies seemed so thirsty anytime a man paid them the slightest (sometimes rude, in any language) compliment.

• Love 3

I thought the scenes of them out and about mingling with men were messy as hell  Too many people.  Too much over talk.  Too confusing.   Too focused on men which doesn't interest me, especially since I've been to Italy as a blonde haired blue eyed  girl.  Yes, being different will  draw male attention and appreciation that you wouldn't otherwise get at home.  But that doesn't mean these Italian men are better or more faithful.  They're just horny and frankly, know how to pick out tourists who might be looking for a vacation fling.   They say they don't say it to all the girls but they do.  And that's fine as long as the women take what they get but don't expect most of what they have to be serious .

However, the show was far more interesting when they were having group discussions.  Like, I want to know how a man convinces a woman, or a woman lets herself be convinced, that getting a divorce is an opportunity to repair their marriage.

• Love 7

Ugh. Watching them fall all over themselves each time someone gave them even the slightest bit of attention was so embarrassing. I hope this isn’t being shown in Rome, since I hope to go there one day and I don’t want rando Romos to think that all American black women are like that.

• Love 11

Shay is introduced to Roberto, a charming chef; while Mercedes wants a man of faith, she is attracted to a hunk; sparks fly between Ashley and a sexy lawyer; Gina connects with Dario, a distinguished gentleman; Shay and Ashley continue to butt heads.

6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Too confusing.   Too focused on men which doesn't interest me, especially since I've been to Italy as a blonde haired blue eyed  girl.

I think there's a difference going to Europe as a blonde haired, blue eyed woman and going to Europe (or anywhere) as a black woman.  

They were focused on men, but isn't that what they're in Rome for?  Isn't the point of the show to go to a place where black women aren't seen the way we're seen in the good old USA?

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I think there's a difference going to Europe as a blonde haired, blue eyed woman and going to Europe (or anywhere) as a black woman.  

Definitely, especially on a deeper level.  But when they discussed their hopes of what they'd like to experience from Italian men on a shallower level, by virtue of looking different than most of the women in Italy, that sounded familiar. 

14 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

They were focused on men, but isn't that what they're in Rome for?

Yes but all of the men were non-entities. Cliche randos hitting on the women.  The discussions were so bland.  They spent too much time on them.  I'll be more interested once the women start to develop connections with people who are more fleshed out. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Definitely, especially on a deeper level.  But when they discussed their hopes of what they'd like to experience from Italian men on a shallower level, by virtue of looking different than most of the women in Italy, that sounded familiar. 

I disagree.  What I got from them was, Italian men don't have the same hang ups regarding black women that American men might have.  I think it was about more than just looking different.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I think it was about more than just looking different.

It was.  It's just that I guess I got both-that it was nice Italians, presumably, didn't have the same baggage as American men and, even better, the women's uniqueness in Italy could be seen as more attractive. 

The attention might mean something different but I don't know if the motivation is much different when it comes to the horniness of the Italians. Or the objectification of 'different.'

• Love 1

Black woman. Been to Italy a few times (and lots of other countries). 

My very first trip to Italy was over 15 years ago. I went alone. From the moment I landed, I had men practically dripping off of me. I loved it because I also love Italian men (and French men, and all men basically LOL). 

A woman informed me it was because there was a high number of African immigrants there working in prostitution after being unable to find work.   I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself when I wandered into, what appeared to be, a dedicated space "in use" by several people. During the trip, I was asked for my passport by the police after an Italian man started yelling at the top of his lungs after I refused his advances and his request to go home with him. The police ran over, and after they got my passport and were convinced it was real - they told me that he was yelling that I was a prostitute. I thought we were on a date. LOL. The women "working" were always dressed like tourists in order to blend in more easily.

I don't know if it's still the same considering it was SO long ago, but thought I would share my own personal experience.  BTW, Italy is still one of my favorite countries - and I no longer dress like a tourist when I travel. :D 

Side note: 

Italians are not always kind to African women, specifically.  Same scenario in France - not specifically about dating/love - but they have fewer prejudices of American blacks vs. Africans. So while it's true that black women do get an awful lot of attention, it makes me wonder how much of the FIRST approaches are because the men think they are easy, vs. prostitute (probably not with this fancy group), or as mentioned upthread - just for the fun of a fling with someone they know won't be around for long. 

Edited by lilsadone
  • Love 7

But can we now talk about how someone pronounced risotto during their dinner? 

Normally I wouldn't point that out - there are tons of things on menus I have no idea how to pronounce because I've never experienced it before.  

I just thought risotto was super common throughout the states - until someone said "what is that, white beans?" and I fell out! I mean, even the Olive Garden has risotto on the menu. 

I'm intrigued by everyone's future connections  and I want to hear more about their story.Except for Gina Neely. She seems to go out of her way to be rude or aloof. 

Edited by lilsadone
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, lilsadone said:

My very first trip to Italy was over 15 years ago. I went alone. From the moment I landed, I had men practically dripping off of me. I loved it because I also love Italian men (and French men, and all men basically LOL). 

A woman informed me it was because there was a high number of African immigrants there working in prostitution after being unable to find work.   I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself when I wandered into, what appeared to be, a dedicated space "in use" by several people. During the trip, I was asked for my passport by the police after an Italian man started yelling at the top of his lungs after I refused his advances and his request to go home with him. The police ran over, and after they got my passport and were convinced it was real - they told me that he was yelling that I was a prostitute. I thought we were on a date. LOL. The women "working" were always dressed like tourists in order to blend in more easily.

I don't know if it's still the same considering it was SO long ago, but thought I would share my own personal experience.  BTW, Italy is still one of my favorite countries - and I no longer dress like a tourist when I travel. :D 

Side note: 

Italians are not always kind to African women, specifically.  Same scenario in France - not specifically about dating/love - but they have fewer prejudices of American blacks vs. Africans. So while it's true that black women do get an awful lot of attention, it makes me wonder how much of the FIRST approaches are because the men think they are easy, vs. prostitute (probably not with this fancy group), or as mentioned upthread - just for the fun of a fling with someone they know won't be around for long. 

Thank you for sharing this. And to your point about how Africans are treated in Italy (and across Europe) vs American Blacks, SOME Black folks are so thirsty for positive attention from white people, they're willing to gloss right on over that. I'll be shocked if that is ever discussed in the show. 

I'll probably half watch in passing, but the whole point of it is problematic for me and I can tell that the real issues behind why they even feel the need to go all the way there to feel "appreciated" won't be explored in an intelligent, nuanced way.

I'll be over at RHOA where everybody was dipping out with an African "prince" and Shamea even snagged one and got married in the motherland lol. Now THAT would be an interesting show, American sisters travelling to an African country to find Black men who appreciate Black women.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Negritude said:

Thank you for sharing this. And to your point about how Africans are treated in Italy (and across Europe) vs American Blacks, SOME Black folks are so thirsty for positive attention from white people, they're willing to gloss right on over that. I'll be shocked if that is ever discussed in the show. 

I'll probably half watch in passing, but the whole point of it is problematic for me and I can tell that the real issues behind why they even feel the need to go all the way there to feel "appreciated" won't be explored in an intelligent, nuanced way.

I'll be over at RHOA where everybody was dipping out with an African "prince" and Shamea even snagged one and got married in the motherland lol. Now THAT would be an interesting show, American sisters travelling to an African country to find Black men who appreciate Black women.

Are you saying that Black women should just sit and wait for that prince?  Why not be with men who appreciate you, regardless of their race?  Do you find the show problematic because these women are in Europe?  Interesting that Black men can date who they want and no one complains, but let a Black woman date a man oc another race, and there’s an issue.  SMH.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Are you saying that Black women should just sit and wait for that prince?  Why not be with men who appreciate you, regardless of their race?  Do you find the show problematic because these women are in Europe?  Interesting that Black men can date who they want and no one complains, but let a Black woman date a man oc another race, and there’s an issue.  SMH.

On the contrary, I think there would be a huge contreversy among Black women if there was a show like this with Black men. There's currently some talk of people boycotting Black Panther because Michael B Jordan has a non black girlfriend. This is silly of course, but I see this happening much more than in reverse. I've always seen relationships between black women and non black men much more accepted than the other way around. Robert De Niro deals almost exclusively with sisters its like "oh he likes the chocolate" lol. OJ likes white women, he has an "appetite for white women" which is seen as sinister...ok maybe not the best example. I mean how many brothers have been beaten or killed behind the slightest implication of an attraction to a white woman where as we have been free game. I'm going a little too deep for this show but anywhoo...at the end of the day, love who you love. I personally am about that black on black love and "smh" as you put it, seeing yet another example of putting white men (Italian specifically in this case) on a pedestal while putting down black men in the process. If they all expressed a long held preference that would be one thing but every one of them has some "my (black) man done me wrong" story so now I'm coming over here and seeing what these Italians are all about. Fair enough but underneath it all is a jab at brothers. It's a discussion to be had for sure, but on Bravo though? Just my opinion.

I believe it is true that black men date outside the race more than any other race of men.

If you listen to Black male entertainers, many of them have many negative things to say about Black women.  If you go on YouTube you will be amazed at the negative comments made about Black women.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Seeing the women go gaga over the Black Italians begs the question of why they aren’t meeting Black Italians or other Italians of color as well. I spent the week of Christmas in Paris alone and I saw people of all ethnicities there and speaking French.

That being said, I liked that date with Shay’s chef - I wouldn’t mind if he was around in future episodes. Lol

• Love 3

Gina - I'ma need you to stop acting like you're Meryl Streep and shit, ain't nobody thinking about your ass in Rome!  You were in a Food Network show where you always treated you then-husband like shit.

Mercedes is absolutely gorgeous.

I was all up on Shay's chef, hope they get together.

Zakita(the chunky one), that's the one I feel for....sometimes when you go through shit it takes a while to get over.

Did anyone feel bad for Mercedes' date (Fabrizio?) when she abandoned him to grind up on other guys?

I appreciate Shay's date and hope we see more of him. 

The last time I was in Rome was in 2010 and I do remember the men being very flirty. I hope Nakita is able to heal somewhat on this trip and enjoy that.

3 hours ago, LisaRuel said:

Did anyone feel bad for Mercedes' date (Fabrizio?) when she abandoned him to grind up on other guys?

Yes.  I don't understand why she couldn't have spent time with her date that night and made note of the club she was at to return later with some of the other women in the house.  Or ask some of the attendees, whose looks she likes, what the names of some other clubs they like to visit are. 

The one who went on and bragged about her education  but could not pronounce "apiritivo," I'd like her to be a little more humble.  Maybe that's why she's having a hard time finding love in the states. Her elitist attitude is off-putting. I don't see what's wrong with her wanting to find a college-educated partner, but she doesn't have to be a bitch about it. 

Edited by zenme

Why is Gina on this show? She acts like she's too good for it and can barely be bothered to have a conversation with a man.

On 1/18/2018 at 3:56 PM, Vixenstud said:

Nakita(the chunky one), that's the one I feel for....sometimes when you go through shit it takes a while to get over.

On 1/18/2018 at 5:53 PM, LisaRuel said:

The last time I was in Rome was in 2010 and I do remember the men being very flirty. I hope Nakita is able to heal somewhat on this trip and enjoy that.

Nakita is so wounded that she can't even relax for a hot second to just have a conversation. One of the problems for a woman like Nakita is that she was in a bad marriage that messed with her head. And I think she's in her head too much about meeting The One when she needs to be focusing on having fun and cool experiences. She needs to relax and focus on herself and enjoying herself.

• Love 1

Dead at Shay not realizing there is only 1 pope . . .

I want to know what happens with Gina (not a fan of hers, though) and Oliviero because if he's available, I'm all over that (even though I'm half his age).

• Love 3

I thought Gina making a big deal out of Oli being 60 was kind of silly given how good he looked and the fact that she's 52.  I guess 8 years doesn't seem like a lot to me.  And he's perfect. He's rich and never around.

I thought the interaction between the politician and Ashley was interesting.  Language barrier?  Maybe but it did sound an awful lot like negging.  I don't see this relationship having a future.  Isn't she the one who said she changed so much for her pro-football ex and this politician would require her conforming as well.

• Love 1
On 1/21/2018 at 10:15 PM, link417 said:

Dead at Shay not realizing there is only 1 pope . . .

Another thing that cracked me up was when they were asking for American cheese when they were getting the sandwiches.  Now, I love me some fine melting American cheese on my burgers or grilled cheese but I believe it's pretty hard to find outside of the borders.  I loved the confusion on the server's face when she tried to guess what they were talking about. Cheddar?

• Love 4

Y’know what, Ashley?  You need to take several seats with your hating ass!

The reason you aren’t ‘feeling Shay’ is because you are jealous of Shay’s personality.  You sure as shit project a loud personality whenever you are with Leo, correcting him about volleyball and being aggressive with him.  And that ‘issues meeting’ was totally unnecessary; it came off as you attacking Shay.  Maybe if you didn’t have the personality of a dead rat’s testicle you’d be more receptive to the girl.  Just do what Gina and Mercedes do….when they can’t take Shay’s voice, they leave the muhfuckin’ room!

What is with the unattractive men in Italy?  The only ones I found attractive so far were Shay’s Roberto, Leo, the dude with the grey hair and glasses (I think he was talking to Shay?), the dude with the man bun that Mercedes ditched at the dance and the dude with the long beard/man bun. 

Juan, the one that kept calling Nikita ‘Cookie’?  Ewwwww!  I would have been turned off by that note too, not for stalking reasons as she saw it.

Mercedes – you are so gorgeous but you have a slightly ugly soul.  Don’t make me dislike you as we go further along.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

Y’know what, Ashley?  You need to take several seats with your hating ass!

The reason you aren’t ‘feeling Shay’ is because you are jealous of Shay’s personality.  You sure as shit project a loud personality whenever you are with Leo, correcting him about volleyball and being aggressive with him.  And that ‘issues meeting’ was totally unnecessary; it came off as you attacking Shay.  Maybe if you didn’t have the personality of a dead rat’s testicle you’d be more receptive to the girl.  Just do what Gina and Mercedes do….when they can’t take Shay’s voice, they leave the muhfuckin’ room!

What is with the unattractive men in Italy?  The only ones I found attractive so far were Shay’s Roberto, Leo, the dude with the grey hair and glasses (I think he was talking to Shay?), the dude with the man bun that Mercedes ditched at the dance and the dude with the long beard/man bun

Juan, the one that kept calling Nikita ‘Cookie’?  Ewwwww!  I would have been turned off by that note too, not for stalking reasons as she saw it.

Mercedes – you are so gorgeous but you have a slightly ugly soul.  Don’t make me dislike you as we go further along.

I really, really want Roberto to come back, he was awesome and it seemed like he and Shay were really vibing. 

OMG, that Khal Drogo-looking guy with the long beard/man bun? SWOON. 

On 1/23/2018 at 12:12 PM, Vixenstud said:

Is Shay the one who didn't know there was only one Pope?  If so, her voice grates on me and she needs to turn the volume down.  If I had to live in a house with someone like Shay, either she'd be dead or I would be.  And no Shay, you're nobody's competition, at least I know there's only one Pope.

However, Shay isn't the only one with issues. 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

I liked the clothes that Nakita bought although I was a little surprised they managed to have a positive shopping experience.  I remember shopping for clothes in Europe when I was much thinner than I am now and I still had a tough time finding clothes.  I was XL there while wearing mediums here. 

But her date with Angelo made me cringe.  I just can't with the over-the-top romanticism.

I loved how offended the love finders were that Mercedes wanted the hot guy they walked past.  Well yeah, why wouldn't she want someone she found attractive?  He was better looking than most of the relatively ugly (IMO) men that are at the happy hours. 

Finally, I had to roll my eyes when Diann mentioned that talking about an AA woman as a "criminal" was a faux pas in the US but Italian men don't know that.  I'm sorry but that's not a cultural difference.  I can't think of any place where a trait being alluded to is described as "criminal-looking" is considered a compliment unless you're a prison bunny.

• Love 1

This was a boring episode for me. I, too, found the Angelo parts to be cringeworthy; it felt like he was playing it up for the cameras. I did like the dress Nakita bought, though, except for the pull strings just hanging from the sleeves.

Mad that I was teased with a Roberto flashback but no actual Roberto. My Gina dislike goes on.

I would give Shay a pass since I believe she’d had a few drinks at that point but I honestly don’t think she, a chef, knows how to pronounce the word ‘sommelier.’ Though Diann said “Somali A” so I guess I need to lower the bar for this show.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Nikita's date with Angelo made me cringe.  I just can't with the over-the-top romanticism.

Yes, lawd!  Too much Roberto Benigni at his Oscars win for me, plus he looked like a plastic Barry Manilow.

I like the way Nikita looks in her talking heads and wish she'd dress like that instead of the typical big girl black....her ex really must have fucked her over.

Gina, I watched every season of Down Home With The Neely's and if you were this unhappy heiffa then you should get an Oscar!  From what I remember, she and her now ex-hubby were high school sweethearts who reconnected at their high school reunion and were blissfully happy ever since.  Mr. Vixenstud would always cringe at Gina during the shows due to her treatment of Pat (ex-hubby)....seemed like the man had to beg for kisses.  Now that she's explained herself I'm still giving a side-eye and still Team Pat.  I thought her Ray Romano lookalike was cute and sweet though.

I still say Mercedes and Ashley are Shay haters....from Mercedes' "That motherf#cker always in the kitchen cooking!" (that's because she is a chef, dear!) to Ashley cocking a grin when Gina said that she didn't want Shay to pick her brain.  We all know loud people but it is your gotdamned choice to avoid them!  Yes, they are living together but if she really puts a burr in your draws then stay away from her!  And true, she was drunk and loud in the cab but all Ashley had to do was tune her out, didn't seem like the other ladies were listening, I'm sure Shay would have gotten the hint and shut up eventually.

The only cute guys I saw this eppy was the one that tried to be single after saying he was attached (Mercedes) and the cute guy with the glasses and beard that was in the group of dudes with Shay.

On 1/10/2018 at 1:24 AM, Negritude said:

I'm with you on all points.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'm not really sure what Shay's malfunction was. Perhaps a little too much to drink. Roberto's hot and seems pretty easy going, but maybe there's something I'm not seeing. 

Angelo is over the top - is it for the cameras?

Mercedes...it seems she's willing to be flexible. It was a little awkward when she was surrounded by three guys, but only interacting with one.

On 1/9/2018 at 5:20 PM, lilsadone said:

Side note: 

Just out of curiosity, you were walking around with your passport on you?   Should you?  I feel like I've been doing it wrong all these years, mine is always back in the hotel safe.  Hell, I guess it's a good thing you were though, because what would the police have done if you hadn't had it?  I sort of hate this, it feels a little Jim Crowe in my head.   

Your description did shed some light on what was bothering me about Leo's interaction with Ashley though (is her name Ashley? lol).   I found his treatment of her guarded and reserved in a very specific way.  Like he considered her good side-chick material.  Anything else, notsomuch.      

Overall I absolutely agree with Mercedes with regard to the physical compatibility of matches she's being presented.   Needs a bath, missing a front tooth, dirty backpack dudes?  Man stop it, she can meet these men all day every day at home by herself.   This is the one who's never been married,  not old enough to be a hardened cynic, no kids and cute as two pink buttons.   On a pure hotness to hotness match, come on fam, is it really that difficult to find her a handsome single 30 year old man over 5'7" in Italy?    

On 1/23/2018 at 2:34 AM, Irlandesa said:

Another thing that cracked me up was when they were asking for American cheese when they were getting the sandwiches.  Now, I love me some fine melting American cheese on my burgers or grilled cheese but I believe it's pretty hard to find outside of the borders.  I loved the confusion on the server's face when she tried to guess what they were talking about. Cheddar?

I am saddened, flummoxed and tickled by the idea that by 3 or 4 grown women (amongst whom one is a chef) it occurred to no one that American "cheese" cannot be found outside the United States thank God, because there aren't variations of a food...that isn't an actual food product.     Between this and risotto, sommelier and "your Pope and our Pope" I'm worn out and the season isn't over.     Aside from that, there is no way in hell I'd take advice of any sort from a woman who does her hair and makeup like a mannequin on purpose.   Diann, fix all that first, girl. 

I thought Gina's problem with Oli wasn't a connection thing but that he traveled so much for whatever it was he did.   I liked their chemistry.    That was some good 60 right there.  He worked out 5 days a week and had the receipts, Oli took that suit jacket off and there was a catdaddy up under there.   Pity the scheduling didn't work out.

I want to like Shay but I can't.   Loud, hostile, boozy, chicken-necking.   Sometimes altogether.   She's super pretty and I'm sure she can be a lot of fun, but I cannot imagine her turning down to be sophisticated or sophisticatable.    I'm not finna describe her the way I want to because it may be an unfair characterization, but suffice it to say she stays one gum pop away from fucking up her chances all the time.    Stfu long enough to learn something new.   In the most patient way possible Roberto was trying to tell her you're being inconsiderate and immature right now.   And she was like Iowncare you here for me not them.   Not meeting the right guy is not Shay's problem.

Nakita doesn't need an extrovert, she just needs a guy that shows genuine interest and devotion.   Somebody attractive.    

Mercedes and Kwame.   Ugh.  Even if he wasn't an atheist, he's not ANY of the other stuff she's looking for (with her eyes closed).   

• Love 6

LOL.  Zaldamo!  You always make me chuckle out loud, catdaddy indeed.

If I were Roberto I would have dropped Shay like a bad cold….all that drama was completely unnecessary.  And dear, you might want to ease up on those dranks, no wonder you’re by yourself. 

Leo reminds me of the late, gorgeous character actor Ron Silver….whooo, but I had the screaming thigh sweats over this man.  For once I felt bad for Ashley.

Ron Silver.gif

Angelo would have been told one time, just one muhfuckin’ time to stop with the boat shenanigans….if just a curl of my weave had gotten wet he would have been thrown overboard and immediately dumped.  Plus, he’s too gotdamn extra and not attractive at all.

Mercedes is a very striking woman but she is shallow as hell!  I can understand about bad teeth but some of the qualifications she could seriously overlook, damn.  And for her to like someone who is atheist?  Um, okay.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

LOL.  Zaldamo!  You always make me chuckle out loud, catdaddy indeed.

If I were Roberto I would have dropped Shay like a bad cold….all that drama was completely unnecessary.  And dear, you might want to ease up on those dranks, no wonder you’re by yourself. 

Leo reminds me of the late, gorgeous character actor Ron Silver….whooo, but I had the screaming thigh sweats over this man.  For once I felt bad for Ashley.

Angelo would have been told one time, just one muhfuckin’ time to stop with the boat shenanigans….if just a curl of my weave had gotten wet he would have been thrown overboard and immediately dumped.  Plus, he’s too gotdamn extra and not attractive at all.

Mercedes is a very striking woman but she is shallow as hell!  I can understand about bad teeth but some of the qualifications she could seriously overlook, damn.  And for her to like someone who is atheist?  Um, okay.

This belongs to me now.  Don't be mad if you see it somewhere else on the boards :D

giphy.gif

She. Is. NOT. Doing. That. 

• Love 1
On 2/12/2018 at 8:41 AM, ZaldamoWilder said:

Just out of curiosity, you were walking around with your passport on you?   Should you?  I feel like I've been doing it wrong all these years, mine is always back in the hotel safe.  Hell, I guess it's a good thing you were though, because what would the police have done if you hadn't had it?  I sort of hate this, it feels a little Jim Crowe in my head.   

Many countries require tourists to carry identity documents showing that they are in the country legally.  For US citizens this would be their passport and when applicable visa.  Aside from border crossings etc. I think I've only been asked for my official "papers" once and that was when I was escorted off the auto-route by the Gendarmerie for going less than 10km/hr over the speed limit and they demanded payment on the spot in cash and put it in a dirty greeting card envelope, so I feel like maybe it wasn't really official business.  I keep my passport on me, but keep a copy on Dropbox and my global entry card and driver license at the hotel (also with copies on Dropbox) just in case I need to get an emergency passport at the embassy if something happens.  I suppose if you had a passport card it might make sense to keep that on you and keep your book at the hotel, but if push comes to shove that might not be good enough since it doesn't have entry stamps. 

• Love 1

I think I forgot to weight in on last week's show so this is for both episodes.

It took Nakita a bit too long to realize Angelo was over-the-top.

I still don't really know what happened between Shay and Roberto but it looks like she's now seeing an older gentleman who is going through a divorce.  He seems nice enough but I'd suggest she step back.  Even his cute accent couldn't hide the bitterness from flowing out when he mentioned his ex-wife's new relationship "She made her choice."  Yikes.  And I also don't quite get why Shay was so focused on asking sexual questions like that at a rather elegant dinner.  I'm not prude (although perhaps a bit more prudish than Shay) but I kind of like to save those questions until at least after I've kissed my date and the lighting is a bit dimmer. 

Ashley, you're only there for two more weeks.  Put on some sensible shoes, walk down the street and enjoy a Cuban cigar.  Taking it slow isn't going to get you there faster.

And Mercedes, what can I say about Mercedes?  She was complaining that some of the other women were having better luck than she was.  The difference with the other women is that they have an open mind to letting guys show them why they're date worthy.  She's looking at how they don't meet her specific criteria first.  There's nothing wrong with having standards but adhering strictly to them is going to limit a woman's dating pool. That's fine but hush with the complaining.

But wait, she's not adhering strictly to them.  If he meets her shallow criteria, he's worth keeping around for a while even when he doesn't meet a criteria that is likely the most important thing to her--religion.  I think she's prioritizing the wrong thing.  I'm not religious but religious views are pretty important, especially when they're important to the individuals.  She should be hanging out at church and getting to know men for whom religion is part of their lives.  I've found that what I've found attractive over the years has changed depending on cool people I've known.  For instance, I used to not think bald was sexy until I met a bald someone who was so cool he was sexy.  From then on, I've had more of appreciation for baldness even though they weren't him. Maybe that would happen with her if she met a religious, but short, guy.

But I did have to roll my eyes at Diann last week when she mentioned she had run into Kwame but dismissed him because he wasn't religious.  Uh-huh.  She has put many non-religious men in front of Mercedes so that doesn't hold water.  She dismissed Kwame because he wasn't Italian.  That's it.

• Love 1
On 2/16/2018 at 4:58 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

Many countries require tourists to carry identity documents showing that they are in the country legally.  For US citizens this would be their passport and when applicable visa.  Aside from border crossings etc. I think I've only been asked for my official "papers" once and that was when I was escorted off the auto-route by the Gendarmerie for going less than 10km/hr over the speed limit and they demanded payment on the spot in cash and put it in a dirty greeting card envelope, so I feel like maybe it wasn't really official business.  I keep my passport on me, but keep a copy on Dropbox and my global entry card and driver license at the hotel (also with copies on Dropbox) just in case I need to get an emergency passport at the embassy if something happens.  I suppose if you had a passport card it might make sense to keep that on you and keep your book at the hotel, but if push comes to shove that might not be good enough since it doesn't have entry stamps. 

Thank you for that, that was super informative.   I should start doing that when I travel.   While I'm learning stuff, what'd you say to the Gendarmerie to get em to put the dirty envelope away? 

Note to self:  crosses Italy off bucket list.  

On 2/19/2018 at 2:37 AM, Irlandesa said:

I think I forgot to weight in on last week's show so this is for both episodes.

It took Nakita a bit too long to realize Angelo was over-the-top.

I still don't really know what happened between Shay and Roberto but it looks like she's now seeing an older gentleman who is going through a divorce.  He seems nice enough but I'd suggest she step back.  Even his cute accent couldn't hide the bitterness from flowing out when he mentioned his ex-wife's new relationship "She made her choice."  Yikes.  And I also don't quite get why Shay was so focused on asking sexual questions like that at a rather elegant dinner.  I'm not prude (although perhaps a bit more prudish than Shay) but I kind of like to save those questions until at least after I've kissed my date and the lighting is a bit dimmer. 

Ashley, you're only there for two more weeks.  Put on some sensible shoes, walk down the street and enjoy a Cuban cigar.  Taking it slow isn't going to get you there faster.

And Mercedes, what can I say about Mercedes?  She was complaining that some of the other women were having better luck than she was.  The difference with the other women is that they have an open mind to letting guys show them why they're date worthy.  She's looking at how they don't meet her specific criteria first.  There's nothing wrong with having standards but adhering strictly to them is going to limit a woman's dating pool. That's fine but hush with the complaining.

But wait, she's not adhering strictly to them.  If he meets her shallow criteria, he's worth keeping around for a while even when he doesn't meet a criteria that is likely the most important thing to her--religion.  I think she's prioritizing the wrong thing.  I'm not religious but religious views are pretty important, especially when they're important to the individuals.  She should be hanging out at church and getting to know men for whom religion is part of their lives.  I've found that what I've found attractive over the years has changed depending on cool people I've known.  For instance, I used to not think bald was sexy until I met a bald someone who was so cool he was sexy.  From then on, I've had more of appreciation for baldness even though they weren't him. Maybe that would happen with her if she met a religious, but short, guy.

But I did have to roll my eyes at Diann last week when she mentioned she had run into Kwame but dismissed him because he wasn't religious.  Uh-huh.  She has put many non-religious men in front of Mercedes so that doesn't hold water.  She dismissed Kwame because he wasn't Italian.  That's it. 

Diann said:    it seems like ya'll were having such a great time at the picnic.  Shay nods.  Like he was really feeling you yesterday.  Shay nods some more.   Then you got back to the house last night and this morning he texted and said he's only interested in something casual.   Do you think maybe the amount you had to drink contributed to how you were acting when you got home (she or someone else must've filled Diann in on this off camera, I don't think we hear/see Shay tell her).   You can actually see the realization dawn on Shay's face.   

1.  He really liked me.   

2.  I drank 3 magnums of champagne by myself.  

3.  We got back to the house and I cut a whole fool. 

4.  This morning he sent a text basically saying he can't take me seriously but he is dtf.     

She hadn't put any of it together until Diann Zapruder'ed it for her.   Even just that morning Nakita asked her what happened with Roberto and she was on some:  oh yeah my cycle is coming so my hormones make me do/say crazy stuff.    Irlandesa if you're a prude, I'm a prude.  I ain't nevah.  Nevah evah.   Been on a date where I asked a man to send me a dicture.    I tried with Shay.  For ya'll.   But that girl is her own worst enemy and too damn stupid to know it.  

I absolutely agree with Diann about Mercedes.   Bringing out your scripture quotation talent on every date?  The exact opposite of sexy.   If that man is or is not about Jesus, that's finna be apparent by the time you're done having dinner, there's no need to ask him to complete a questionnaire. 

If Nakita thinks a field trip to the pleasure palace is gonna turn her into a hoe, her dating future is gone be slow as hell.  

I don't really see Ashley and Rico Suave ending well.  Big ole able bodied 28 year old Spanish speaking loving his mama and living in Italy by himself Mr. Havana doesn't meet women?  Somebody getting pregnant just looking at him. 

Gina's inner freak surprises me not at all.  Some of it is just about how much time you have left.   At 25 you're like:  hi how are you?  what's your favorite thing to do on the weekends, where do you go to church.    Chiiiiile.   At 50?  You be like:  hi.  I'm 'damo.  I was wondering....what that mouf do? 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

I cut a whole fool. 

Hah!  Gotta use that one, you crazy ZW.

Shay, Shay….Jesus woman, I’m as raunchy as the next woman but gotdamn!  Only a two dollar street trick would sexually interrogate a man like she did, I’m surprised she didn’t try to pull his dick out at the table for viewing.  And I’d bet my left nut that her ignorant outburst with Roberto killed any further relationship they might have had.  Trust, I know about losing someone due to an emotional reaction and not being able to take it back.  I so wish she’d lay off the booze….did you see her gulping it down at dinner as opposed to her date’s sip taste?  No wonder she has bad luck with men.

Nakita is well rid of Angelo, she’s too fine for him and needs someone more laid back but attentive.

Mercedes?  Sugah?  Kwame is an atheist!!  You could stand naked in front of him spewing the word of God and it will mean absolutely nothing to him, give it up!  She does have cute feet though.

While thick Ricky Ricardo did nothing for me, if I were Ashley I'd be riding his lap like a low rider in a Snoop Dogg video!  Nukka looked like he had a healthy package and his soft voice was sexy AF.

• Love 2