Type keyword(s) to search

2018 DCC Audition Speculation

sleepyjean
  • Start Topic

Let the 2018 games begin! There's no thread for the next season, so I'm putting this here. I trust the mods will move it to a more appropriate location, if necessary.

Victoria has been working on her power. Dayton is in prep class, along with former Spurs dancers Minerva and Lindsey, who have also auditioned in past years. Minerva has a new look. Maybe it will help her stand out. I can't really tell if Dayton has been working on her physique but I'm sure she'll be on point for auditions. The blonde dancing behind her looks vaguely familiar.

I am very interested to see if Ashley Gallagher, the powerful little blonde from last year will audition this year. Looks like she's in college in Houston now. Maybe she will audition for the Texans.

ETA: Shelly's video. See anyone else you recognize?I think I seeDutchess (from TX Legends a few years back). Maybe just a girl with similar hair, though.
Edited by sleepyjean

Victoria still looks out of her league. She seems better in this clip because the choreo looks s****** on its own. But considering the girls they keep bringing on the squad...she won't look so out of place. 

Dayton needs to find her power. Her technique is great, but she just doesn't perform. And she has so much help from the inside so she needs to be outdancing the other girls at this point.

I'm still bitter Ashley didn't even make it to semis last year. She outdances half of the rookies (well, half of the squad) and she is cute.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, dreamcatcher said:

I'm still bitter Ashley didn't even make it to semis last year. She outdances half of the rookies (well, half of the squad) and she is cute.

OMG watch your clip and compare her to YUKO right behind her to our left. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

Dayton needs to find her power. Her technique is great, but she just doesn't perform.

so true. Watching her I see she knows all the moves, she's doing them all correctly, but...she's so boring to watch. Maybe she's just marking the steps (I think that's what they say) and isn't really going for it, because if that is her going for it, she shouldn't make it this year either. Doesn't mean she won't, though. I do like her, I just think she needs to trust that she knows the steps and just let go and dance like she loves it.

• Love 2

Victoria looked out of control, even if the choreography was supposed to look like that.  She needs to be more precise.  I don't know if she has power or just too much enthusiasm/having too much fun to actually be paying attention to her dancing/placement.

• Love 2

I missed Victoria, I will have to re watch. I think Dayton looks great, she looks slimmer and her hair has grown longer. The dance technique is spot on, but I agree the power and showmanship is missing. Is there any one from past years that yall can think of that had the whole package BUT the power and SMS (showmanship) I am gonna say SMS from now on...  Seriously has there been someone who was boring and lacked power and then came around and eventually became a standout performer?  I know Megan Sharp has issues here rookie year and she came around for sure.

I hate to say this but, besides Dayton and maybe a few others I saw briefly, that whole group looked kinda , "getting cut at pre-lims".  

Hard to tell what Victoria is doing bc her camera is so close up. 

Maybe Dayton is learning or marking a new routine, but yeah I'd turn up the showmanship if going to post on social media.

The have a lot of boring, powerless people right now, so might not be a factor.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, DCCroutineFAN said:

I missed Victoria, I will have to re watch. I think Dayton looks great, she looks slimmer and her hair has grown longer. The dance technique is spot on, but I agree the power and showmanship is missing. Is there any one from past years that yall can think of that had the whole package BUT the power and SMS (showmanship) I am gonna say SMS from now on...  Seriously has there been someone who was boring and lacked power and then came around and eventually became a standout performer?  I know Megan Sharp has issues here rookie year and she came around for sure.

I hate to say this but, besides Dayton and maybe a few others I saw briefly, that whole group looked kinda , "getting cut at pre-lims".  

Jordan Chanley, Mia and Jackie Bob struggled their rookie years, but they came back stronger their second year.

Edited by bigskygirl

Dayton is gorgeous, and i agree her style seems more technical and fluid. She's one I could see doing a lyrical piece and being amazing at it. If she makes it to TC I see her needing to work on the power. I also wonder if it's a mental struggle for her maybe. She has the steps, she has the smile but it's like you can see her struggling to project.  She reminds me a lot of Brianna from last season. 

Minerva doesn't have the figure yet. She maybe able to get there but that outfit isn't doing her any favors. Which I probably weigh 10 times more then her so I feel like a hypocrite saying That! 

Victoria fits with the Michelle Keys choreography style. It's not my favorite and I think even some of the best dancers can look s****** doing it.  

No one in the group videos just jumped out at me, but I don't follow enough to pick anyone out either. 

• Love 1

I think Victoria is better .

Am I the only one that thinks the offical prep classes are not worth the money dance wise , it's beneficial for giving inside information about the audition process and the fact that you can ask DCC for advice (also i heard the sometime teach kicks which would help people who never did them) but i think the classes with Michelle keys, Sarah E,Brittney Evans( I know that she sometimes does the DCC ones which would be the ones i would go to) , Ashton (classes she gave before she got pregnant), stephannie wheat and kitty prep classes are definitely better in helping improve dancing skills.

Edited by mmm

I’m underwhelmed by all of these videos, unfortunately. Not sure why some of these gals would post when they’re marking, out of sync, still working off the holiday gain yet wearing a bra, etc. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Cowboysfan16 said:

I hope Kali Mikelson auditions again! She made it to finals last year & I know she worked so hard! 

She's been taking class with Michelle and Jenn so maybe she'll be back.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

Lindsay was really good on the Spurs, but ever since she didn't get taken back her dancing sucks and I can see why she didn't get to return. I definitely don't think she'll make it to TC this year.

Speaking of the Spurs...  I'm really LOVING their routines posted on Instagram.  I love the style and choreography, and especially that little powerhouse Katelyn!

• Love 1

Victoria is total DCC material! I love her IG videos and she’s got the moves and technique. I love her finishes and her power. She looks like she is having a great time, too! I’m rooting for Dayton, but she needs to give us more power or something. She does dance a bit bland and clunky (her footwork needs cleaning up).  I really want them to make it together. 

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, dreamcatcher said:

Dayton needs to find her power. Her technique is great, but she just doesn't perform. And she has so much help from the inside so she needs to be outdancing the other girls at this point.

I was surprised when I saw the vid of Dayton. She's a very fluid, precise dancer, but she doesn't have a wit of power. I hope she finds it quickly so she can practice her power moves before tryouts.  

I understand wanting to walk in the footsteps of her mom and dance for a team with the type of reputation DCC has.  But Dayton doesn't have to be a mini-me of her mom. She may not be a power dancer, so her innate style isn't conducive to DCC.  If she can't find DCC power, I hope she can find her own style, find her own dance experience outside DCC.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Cappuccinagina said:

Victoria is total DCC material! I love her IG videos and she’s got the moves and technique. I love her finishes and her power. She looks like she is having a great time, too! I’m rooting for Dayton, but she needs to give us more power or something. She does dance a bit bland and clunky (her footwork needs cleaning up).  I really want them to make it together. 

I think Victoria is the antithesis of a DCC.  I find her dancing unimpressive, noodley and way, way too fluid.  There is no power, pop or projection.  I'm sure she is a lovely lyrical dancer but she in no way belongs in a DCC uniform.  If she makes the team it's only due to her family connections and pure uninhibited nepotism.  Also, she needs a haircut.  STAT.

Edited by LMarchBand
Added more.
  • Love 16
25 minutes ago, LMarchBand said:

I think Victoria is the antithesis of a DCC.  I find her dancing unimpressive, noodley and way, way too fluid.  There is no power, pop or projection.  I'm sure she is a lovely lyrical dancer but she in no way belongs in a DCC uniform.  If she makes the team it's only due to her family connections and pure uninhibited nepotism.  Also, she needs a haircut.  STAT.

girl I think that they will both likely make the squad and a given that it's due to connections.  I am personally not a fan of Victoria's style and look but I know many are.  Dayton is prettier but if Hannah was considered "fat" for DCC level, then I think it will be interesting to see how Kelli judges Dayton (who has a perfectly normal physique but DCCs can only be Barbie thin apparently)

It would be nice to branch out Kelli ... maybe to non-standard beauty types

Edited by tobeyoungagain
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

girl I think that they will both likely make the squad and a given that it's due to connections.  I am personally not a fan of Victoria's style and look but I know many are.  Dayton is prettier but if Hannah was considered "fat" for DCC level, then I think it will be interesting to see how Kelli judges Dayton (who has a perfectly normal physique but DCCs can only be Barbie thin apparently)

To be honest, I don’t see the appeal of Dayton either. (I know her mother posts here but not everyone will like everyone). The videos I have seen of her are also unimpressive. I don’t find her body type to be the DCC body type either. 

I just can’t believe that in the years I’ve read this board, so many individuals jumped on the “I hate Cassie” bandwagon, yet fully support Victoria and Dayton’s quest. I’ll be thoroughly disappointed if either make the team as they are now. Granted, they have a few months to get it together but I doubt they will.  Nepotism at it’s shiny best, I guess. 

Also, I loved Hannah. She got a raw deal, IMO. 

• Love 11

I personally think EVERYONE looks horrible in those prep class videos.  I just don't think a one and half hour class (I actually don't know how long the classes are) is a good way to judge your ability to grasp a style,

26 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

I am personally not a fan of Victoria's style and look but I know many are.  Dayton is prettier but if Hannah was considered "fat" for DCC level, then I think it will be interesting to see how Kelli judges Dayton (who has a perfectly normal physique but DCCs can only be Barbie thin apparently)

Let's hope they are evolving.  I think comparing one season to another is futile.  It really depends who shows up that year, and how much they "like" you,  Then they edit the show to justify their decisions.   I truly believe that the overwhelming majority of the cuts are based on absolutely nothing.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, LMarchBand said:

To be honest, I don’t see the appeal of Dayton either. (I know her mother posts here but not everyone will like everyone). The videos I have seen of her are also unimpressive. I don’t find her body type to be the DCC body type either. 

I just can’t believe that in the years I’ve read this board, so many individuals jumped on the “I hate Cassie” bandwagon, yet fully support Victoria and Dayton’s quest. I’ll be thoroughly disappointed if either make the team as they are now. Granted, they have a few months to get it together but I doubt they will.  Nepotism at it’s shiny best, I guess. 

I don't think many support them in here. Dayton maybe but that's imo because Shelley posts here. I personally think that dance ability wise, Cassie deserved her spot mpre than Dayton and Victoria. Also, Victoria has been going to power classes for two years now. If she hasn't been able to get to that level already, I don't think she ever will.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

I don't think many support them in here. Dayton maybe but that's imo because Shelley posts here. I personally think that dance ability wise, Cassie deserved her spot mpre than Dayton and Victoria. Also, Victoria has been going to power classes for two years now. If she hasn't been able to get to that level already, I don't think she ever will.

Yes to both of these. It just annoys me that both will make the team because of their connections.  Say what you want about Cassie but she could dance circles around these two.  Especially in her later DCC years. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, LMarchBand said:

YES HANNAH GOT A RAW DEAL. 

I dunno people have slammed Victoria and Dayton a lot on here. I'm neutral in Vik bc I think she'll make it no matter what, but wish Dayton would go to Mavs or somewhere for a year or two for some expereience, then DCC.

10 minutes ago, LMarchBand said:

Say what you want about Cassie but she could dance circles around these two.  Especially in her later DCC years. 

Cassie had the perfect DCC body. V & D do not.

• Love 2

I do not think Hannah got a raw deal. She was called out during her rookie season for her weight. came to finals out of shape, and she did not take the weight warnings she was getting from Kelli and Judy seriously. Other one year vets got cut for the same thing.

Regarding certain dancers—Agree to disagree, I guess! ???‍♀️ 

Poor Hannah—she was super slender her first year, and the second year, who knows what happened. Probably stress, I imagine.  I personally think it’s gross when they pick on others for their weight when other dancers obviously have a weight “issue” (quotations because it isn’t an issue—all of these women are beautiful and I would give up wine forever to look like any of them right now lol) 

I hope whoever auditions knows that the process is not meant to be kind and to keep their chin up when hit with critiques—especially from people like us. I genuinely enjoy watching dance audition processes of any kind as I have been dancing since I was little, and I’m 37 and dance pointe and contemporary for fun. I am more than familiar with dance and different strokes for different folks—that’s why DCC has so many judges, because even they can’t agree on who is DCC/not DCC.

Hope the auditioners enjoy the journey to May and that they do their homework.  I hope people like Dayton are auditioning because they want this—not to follow their parents history. At the end of the day, they all love dance and I hope that they do this because they enjoy the experience and dancing.  Maybe we can all try a little harder to remember we are critiquing college age women and we should be encouraging of them—not so...dismissive? Oh trust, I’m currently trying to practice what I preach lol.  

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Cappuccinagina said:

I hope whoever auditions knows that the process is not meant to be kind and to keep their chin up when hit with critiques

This is why I adore Kitty.  She tells her truth, with no holding back.  But she never acts like the girls are bad people because they are not good dancers.  Criticism followed by a hug.  I'm all about it!

• Love 13
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I do not think Hannah got a raw deal. She was called out during her rookie season for her weight. came to finals out of shape, and she did not take the weight warnings she was getting from Kelli and Judy seriously. Other one year vets got cut for the same thing.

These women go into auditions knowing full well the crazy standards set by TPTB. I wanted to smack Hannah one for being so smug. If Hannah knew she would have a tough time staying lean, she should have not re-auditioned. Furthermore, if I got a weight warning, I would be on the phone with Jay, STAT....that is, if I wanted to stay on the team. 

41 minutes ago, hypeman said:

This is why I adore Kitty.  She tells her truth, with no holding back.  But she never acts like the girls are bad people because they are not good dancers.  Criticism followed by a hug.  I'm all about it!

Kitty is awesome. :) 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I don’t personally recall hearing that Hannah was on weight watch her rookie year and it must not have been too serious since she was never benched.  What episode the weight watch was referenced in during her rookie season? This way I can go back and watch?  Sure, she was out of shape at auditions and she should have known better. However, she wasn’t the only one that was out of shape.  The fact that other girls the same year who were supposedly on weight watch, were given the opportunity to try My Fit Foods to lose the weight in a “healthy manner” while Hannah was unceremoniously let go, says to me that it wasn’t fair across the board. They even told Paige that year that she had gained 13 pounds.  Yet, Paige remained on the team. 

I do think Hannah took her warnings seriously and that’s why she stated she was “blindsided” when she was cut. Hannah said she was trying to lose the weight the right way as a representative of the organization. She did not want to condone, I imagine, starvation diets or extreme exercise.  This is how girls end up in the hospital. 

There was clearly something going on behind the scenes regarding Hannah and her weight was just the scapegoat to cut her. 

• Love 7

Kelli said Hannah was called out for her weight during her rookie year. She acted like she had no clue on why she was called out for weight when she was called into the office. If she was told to get it together and work on losing weight before tryouts, and she came in out of shape and was given a second chance by bringing her back to TC, she should have been expecting to be cut. Yes, there were other girls who were gaining and not losing weight, but they must have taken it more seriously and tried to lose it. Veronica came close to being cut, but she worked hard on losing weight. I personally do not see what was so great about Paige in the first place, so I cannot see why she was kept in the first place. She was a blender who got away with dating a player while she was on the squad.

18 hours ago, LMarchBand said:

I really agree with you. I don’t see the appeal at all. I could not watch the short videos that were posted of both of them a ll the way through. They are a no for me. Victoria looks wild and unable to control her body, and Dayton looks like she is marking it. I was very harsh with Cassie, but I have to admit, she was way, way better than these girls. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Kelli said Hannah was called out for her weight during her rookie year. She acted like she had no clue on why she was called out for weight when she was called into the office. If she was told to get it together and work on losing weight before tryouts, and she came in out of shape and was given a second chance by bringing her back to TC, she should have been expecting to be cut. Yes, there were other girls who were gaining and not losing weight, but they must have taken it more seriously and tried to lose it. Veronica came close to being cut, but she worked hard on losing weight. I personally do not see what was so great about Paige in the first place, so I cannot see why she was kept in the first place. She was a blender who got away with dating a player while she was on the squad.

Personally think that you're basing a lot of your opinion on guesswork.  We have no idea how seriously Hannah may or may not have taken her weight warnings. She may have been warned to come to auditions at her fighting weight but Kelli, Judy and Charlotte all agreed to bring her back.  Based on that fact alone, Hannah should have been given the same opportunity to lose weight that Veronica and Schram were given at My Fit Foods.  It's absolutely unfair to cut one girl for weight and yet give others a chance. to stay on the team.  I also respect the fact that Hannah stated she was trying to lose weight in a safe manner since the DCC are notorious for eating disorders and using other methods  to lose weight.  I stand by the fact that I think there was more to the Hannah story.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

if I got a weight warning, I would be on the phone with Jay, STAT

If I got a weight warning, I'd be out there every morning doing a 10 mile run, I'd avoid Jay like the plague.  In earlier seasons, it seemed that the girls who relied on him kept gaining weight (yeah, I know, muscle weighs slightly more than fat, but there was no way in hell they built up enough for weight gain).  I've done his kind of workouts, and they don't do a thing for me, although he arrogantly acts like they must work for everybody.  Nope, not a Jay fan here LOL.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

If I got a weight warning, I'd be out there every morning doing a 10 mile run, I'd avoid Jay like the plague.  In earlier seasons, it seemed that the girls who relied on him kept gaining weight (yeah, I know, muscle weighs slightly more than fat, but there was no way in hell they built up enough for weight gain).  I've done his kind of workouts, and they don't do a thing for me, although he arrogantly acts like they must work for everybody.  Nope, not a Jay fan here LOL.

Doesn’t Jay base most of his workouts off of his military training? Seems like the girls would definitely bulk up instead of leaning down. I wouldn’t go near Jay’s workouts either.  But only because I find him unbearably annoying. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

These women go into auditions knowing full well the crazy standards set by TPTB. I wanted to smack Hannah one for being so smug. If Hannah knew she would have a tough time staying lean, she should have not re-auditioned. Furthermore, if I got a weight warning, I would be on the phone with Jay, STAT....that is, if I wanted to stay on the team. 

Kitty is awesome. :) 

I think the thing that is so crazy about Hannah is that she seemed like a star on Making The Team during her rookie year.  She was always singled out in a positive way, and just made it all look so easy.  If anything, I thought she was kinda thin - more athletic build than the usual DCC.  I thought that she and Melissa were the standouts, and that they'd compete to be the point, or group leaders in their 4-5 years.  Cut to a year later and Hannah is completely out.  I would never have guessed.

It also goes to show you how wrong Kelly, Judy and Kitty are in the rookie years: Mia, Whitney, Danielle were not standouts in their rookie seasons, and ended up all being 5 year vets, group leaders, etc.  And they kept calling Heather O pastel last season... Melissa even called Kelly saying she didn't have what it takes.  The next year, bam - Kelly is saying how Heather had a fantastic year, and she's a 2nd group leader.

I'm interested to see what rookies this year come back next year and get rave reviews: I've never seen them live but I feel like Molly, Lexie, Miranda seem like they'll be there for the longterm and it's possible that Kalyssa may not have had as big of an impact on the team as I would have guessed.  You can kinda see who Kelly likes based on the rookies she's chosen for the Podcast, and what girls are named DCC of the week.  

Edited by Stee
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

Grace Sells worked out with him and got cut even though I think she looked fine. Didn't Elizabeth Reuter ( also got cut) also work with him?

Edited by MrsEVH
Just now, MrsEVH said:

Grace Sells worked out with him and got cut even though I think she looked fine. Didn't lizabeth Reuter ( also got cut) also work with him?

I also think Brooke was called out for gaining weight when she was training with him.  All of that weight training does burn calories like crazy for some, but not all; aerobic training burns calories like crazy for some (like me) but not all.  I think Jay's philosophy was too "one size fits all."

• Love 3

What gets me about Jay is his we have the girls do the military style physical tests the troops do. The military did their own testing to find out the two minute pushups, situps and two mile run did not get the true gasp of how well the troops were when it came to staying in shape. Now if Jay had the girls wearing the usual military gear and were sent out on a ten mile march in their workout outfits, I would be more impressed with Jay's training than a two minute situps, pushups and two mile run. Plus the fact the girls do not do the proper military situps and pushups in the first place.

59 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Plus the fact the girls do not do the proper military situps and pushups in the first place.

Yeah, what is up with them doing those situps?  I thought the way they're done on the show was a back injury waiting to happen.

• Love 1

By getting in touch with Jay, if K&J know this, they see that the cheerleader in question is addressing the situation. If that cheerleader did  not get in touch with Jay ASAP,  K&J take a dim view of it. Plus, if they DO go to Jay, work out like crazy and get bigger/gain, it is a total Catch 22.

@ByTor@MrsEVH, @LMarchBand, I stand corrected.

Edited by tinabee1967