Type keyword(s) to search

The Opening Ceremony!

I know there are skeptics but I felt a chill when the North and South Korean teams came in as 'Korea' IN Korea.  There are so many Korean people on both side of the DMZ who have family members they haven't seen in over 50 years.  This moment must give them a tiny spark of hope.  It would be an amazing thing if the Olympics was the start of the reunification of Korea because that's what the original Olympics was all about; countries that usually fought each other getting together in peace.  It might be corny but I hope this is the beginning of something for Korea, especially since this is something the Koreans are deciding for themselves.  God bless them.

• Love 22
6 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Well, she might be executed like the half brother if she did smile.

I'm not so sure...I think Jong Un is just a figurehead and she's the one who is really running things.

Edited by GreyBunny
1 minute ago, Mittengirl said:

Can someone explain why N and S Korea are allowed to compete as one country?  

I don't think they're actually competing as one country.  They simply chose to march together as a show of goodwill in the spirit of the Games.

Just now, legaleagle53 said:

I don't think they're actually competing as one country.  They simply chose to march together as a show of goodwill in the spirit of the Games.

They have a unified women's hockey team. 

• Love 4

I was impressed...I thought the Opening Ceremony was beautiful.  I did not know much about Korea, but feel I have a better feel for the country, that's what I like about seeing the Opening Ceremonies from different nations & I find out things about their history & culture.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

So NBC  basically just announced that they can’t show everything because of “time constraints” <commercials>, but you can watch everything streamed and without commentary. So turn us off and watch everything folks!

Interesting because the live stream I watched this morning was approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes, so not really that long for an opening ceremony. 

• Love 2

So NBC  basically just announced that they can’t show everything because of “time constraints” <commercials>, but you can watch everything streamed and without commentary. So turn us off and watch everything folks!

The streaming won't be available until tomorrow morning ... and you won't have Piya's image to dream about!

It would be nice to know who those singers were NBC!

The TV screen showed their names and their musical specialty.

Edited by AuntieDiane6

That was cool, but Barcelona is still my gold standard.

Oh my, yes!  And second is the ski jumper at the Lillehammer Games!  

Glad to see Katie and Mike read my tweets and are actually letting the audience view the ceremony without inane comments.

Edited by AuntieDiane6
  • Love 9

I really appreciate the effort that South Korea put into the Opening Ceremony, kudos to them, but it was just ok to me.  

The best part was the parade of nations and, of course, my Tonga fix. 

• Love 4

I teared up twice - once when the opera singer was singing, and then when I saw Yu-Na skating around that lovely little rink.  Loved her outfit, too.  Especially the hat.

Nothing will quite ever surpass the Barcelona Arrow for me, but that torch lighting was really cool.

• Love 4

Hellooooo, Tonga!! I pray he doesn't come down with pneumonia and miss his event. I also hope he competes again in the next summer Games and this becomes a new shirtless Olympic tradition.

I both enjoyed and was slightly uncomfortable with the two Koreas marching together. I can't let the thoughts of all of the atrocities the North Korean people deal with from Kim Jong Un go. I wonder if any of the North athletes will defect or if that's even possible?

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I both enjoyed and was slightly uncomfortable with the two Koreas marching together. I can't let the thoughts of all of the atrocities the North Korean people deal with from Kim Jong Un go. I wonder if any of the North athletes will defect or if that's even possible?

I'm sure they have people surrounding them at all times to ensure this doesn't happen, like they used to do with the Eastern Europeans.

• Love 2

I thought the ceremony was okay. Not awful, not spectacular, but just sort of tame. 

All these athletes who buy citizenship in other countries because they can't make the team in their own is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Some of them weren't even riding the coattails of their parents' citizenship, it was the grandparents in one case, which I think is ridiculous. 

Those Team USA gloves? Yeah, it might be time to put Ralph Lauren out to pasture. 

I know I was supposed to feel something when North and South marched together, but it didn't really affect me one way or the other. I feel somewhat guilty that an oiled up, hot Tongan guy held my interest more than the unity stuff. 

Overall, nice start to the games. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5