Type keyword(s) to search

The Opening Ceremony!

Czech Republic does the wave.  (ETA, it's a ski jump landing to celebrate the 50th anniversary of their first gold medal, per below).

The CBC announcers talked about how political tensions determine who sits next to who, for example Mike Pence (barf) can't be near Kim Yo Jong, Kim Jong Un's sister.  They said trying to arrange the seating is like "your worst wedding nightmare."

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 9

Was it just me, or did the husband of the married USA pairs figure skating team have the wife up on his shoulder for a minute as they walked? If so, really cute.

The Bermuda delegation looked like they could feel the frostbite creeping across their bodies.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Was it just me, or did the husband of the married USA pairs figure skating team have the wife up on his shoulder for a minute as they walked? If so, really cute.

The Bermuda delegation looked like they could feel the frostbite creeping across their bodies.

I thought I saw the same thing. Part cute, and part helpful. Too bad NBC only showed them because they were in the shot with Nathan Chen. I like Nathan, but they really could stand to learn the names of a few more athletes.

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I enjoy it for the randomness of the sport they're competing in.  Nigeria is fronting a women's bobsled team? Why not?  (I had figured they were sprinters who wanted to do a winter sport.) 

On a complete aside, the more I hear NBC's Olympic theme, the more I appreciate the CBC's theme and how they change it up to reflect the country that is hosting the games.  

They come in order of the official language of the host country. 

i <3 both. 
the NBC BOM BOM BAH BOM BOM gets me into the Olympic Mood like nothing else. :)

• Love 10

Ugh. So much Olympic “tourism” going on, like the kid from San Diego who’s snowboarding for Ireland because of an Irish grannie.  I wonder how many other “Olympians” have conveniently bought citizenship’s so that they can achieve a lifelong dream of skiing in the Olympics.

I was losing my mind during the opening at all of NBC’s discussion of “Asian culture” and “Asian values”, as if Asia is a monolith.

You can tell who NBC’s favorites are from who got camera time when they came out....there are other people on the team besides Lindsey Vonn and Shaun White.

• Love 5

I love seeing countries that may not usually have a big presence at the games but the nation shopping gets annoying.   One of the Israeli pairs skaters is from New York but switched to Israel because her mother has dual citizenship.  Allowing someone to compete for a country because they have one grandparent from there seems pretty absurd.  Do you suppose the IOC will ever crack down on this?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

I wonder how many other “Olympians” have conveniently bought citizenship’s so that they can achieve a lifelong dream of skiing in the Olympics.

They don’t “buy” citizenships. The Dushesney’s skated for France, their mother’s homeland, instead of Canada. Less competition.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Shaynaa said:

I love seeing countries that may not usually have a big presence at the games but the nation shopping gets annoying.   One of the Israeli pairs skaters is from New York but switched to Israel because her mother has dual citizenship.  Allowing someone to compete for a country because they have one grandparent from there seems pretty absurd.  Do you suppose the IOC will ever crack down on this?

The IOC crack down on anything?  If they couldn't outright ban Russia from the 2016 and this year's O's for doping, they're not gonna crack down on anybody.

I had to skip the opening ceremony as I can't take that bombastic Olympic theme music any more, nor the sweet cultural lessons.  (think I've seen too many O's)  I'm ready for more team skating!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Shaynaa said:

As far as I know, it's up to the country who they will grant citizenship to. Israel allows Jewish people born anywhere to gain citizenship. There are a few Israeli athletes this time around who grew up in the U.S. I seem to recall the U.S. expedited Tanith Belbin's citizenship to allow her to compete for the U.S. when she went on to win silver.

I think some of this "shopping" comes for good reason. It is legitimately hard to train for a lot of these events in countries without facilities and some athletes relocate for better coaching and better opportunities. I think it's better to have the "shopping" then to shut out some of the smaller countries that might not have a delegation otherwise.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

They don’t “buy” citizenships. The Dushesney’s skated for France, their mother’s homeland, instead of Canada. Less competition.

Actually, some countries offer citizenship in exchange for a large check and voila, all of the sudden some hedge fund guy and his wife are skiing for Domenica:

https://www.deadspin.com/dominicas-fake-ski-team-scammed-the-olympics-and-the-p-1529973935/amp

This happened in tbe last Olympics. I'm sure it's still happening.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Daisy said:

the summer olympics don't have that much "hey, i'm from here, and there" right?

It's rampant in track and field. There are so many African runners that compete for mostly European and Asian countries. Especially Qatar is bad because they offer them good money to compete for them.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

It's rampant in track and field. There are so many African runners that compete for mostly European and Asian countries. Especially Qatar is bad because they offer them good money to compete for them.

Bahrain as well. It's comical.

Heyyyyyyy, Pita! 

• Love 1

Czech Republic does the wave.

They were actually doing a ski jump landing (telemark). They were celebrating the 50th anniversary of Jiří Raška winning their first gold medal at the Winter Olympics. 

Cool.

Edited by kili
  • Love 9