Type keyword(s) to search

The Opening Ceremony!

YES!  They're almost here.  Can't wait for South Korean spectacle and the Parade of Nations.  Canada, USA, Norway, Netherlands home of Dutch Speedskating deities, Rus---oops sorry not so fast Russia.  

• Love 5

So I'm confused. For a while, NBC was advertising that the Opening Ceremony would be shown on Thursday night and now the commercials are saying Friday. I know that Korea is 13 hours ahead of Eastern time, so if it's evening here, it's the next morning there. When will the Opening Ceremony be shown on NBC and will it be live or on delay?

Edited by Good Queen Jane

@Good Queen Jane The NBC Olympics primetime coverage starts on Thursday with figure skating/freestyle skiing and then the Opening Ceremony is on Friday night. I'm not sure about it being live or not. NBC seems to be saying it'll be live though since they have 'live' listed in the description.

Edited by peachmangosteen

I heard on the radio today that they're expecting temps to dip to 23 BELOW ZERO for the Opening Ceremony. Team USA's jackets are heated, which is fine, but how does that help your fingers, toes and nose?

I wonder how many athletes will skip the ceremonies? 

6 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I heard on the radio today that they're expecting temps to dip to 23 BELOW ZERO for the Opening Ceremony. Team USA's jackets are heated, which is fine, but how does that help your fingers, toes and nose?

I wonder how many athletes will skip the ceremonies? 

There will only be 11 Dutch athletes on the parade. Mostly because a big chunk of the 33 athletes will be active on Saturday but the cold doesn't help.

5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Erin Hamlin, Luge, is chosen as the USA flag bearer, but Shani Davis is not happy.

I would have picked Shani but I'm partial towards speed skaters. He has meant a lot for the sport and he was the first black athlete to win an individual gold medal.

• Love 3

Awesome Show put up 

12 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Go on Team Canada with your still somewhat questionable clothes from The Bay!

(Y)

Edited by ImSo
22 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Erin Hamlin, Luge, is chosen as the USA flag bearer, but Shani Davis is not happy.

I wish he would have handled this differently. His disappointment is understandable but let Hamlin have her moment. It was a 4-4 tie among the federations but it sounds like individual athletes got to vote. Maybe allowing the “popular vote” winner to prevail in that circumstance would be better than a coin toss. Something tells me Davis would have reacted this way if he lost no matter the process.

Also, I keep seeing pics of the Tongan guy shirtless. Are those old from Rio or did he do that again here even with the temperature? 

• Love 4

Are those old from Rio or did he do that again here even with the temperature? 

He did it again. Maybe the oil was heated. I bet he puts a shirt on for his event (cross-country).

• Love 4

:laugh: 

Spoiler

Gangam Style

I feel kind of lucky. Vancouver was my home olympics - but i spent some time in Korea (and in Peyongchong itself), so this is second home Olympics for me. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, kili said:

He did it again. Maybe the oil was heated. I bet he puts a shirt on for his event (cross-country).

He did not disappoint because he knows he's giving the people what they (sort of) want. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

He did not disappoint because he knows he's giving the people what they (sort of) want. 

lol i would have been happy with him wearing a coat LOL. he's adorable. 
but i think for some of these warm countries, they wanna do the "stereotype" (wearing bermuda shorts etc)

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Regarding Davis, I get being disappointed, but how is a coin toss racist? To not march in the ceremony is just classless. Everyone's a victim these days. I don't get what I want so I'll just pitch a tantrum and not participate.

totally agree

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Regarding Davis, I get being disappointed, but how is a coin toss racist? To not march in the ceremony is just classless. Everyone's a victim these days. I don't get what I want so I'll just pitch a tantrum and not participate.

The coin toss was also written into the rules as the tie breaker long before the situation ever occurred.  He's essentially asking that the rules be changed so he can 'win'.  Poor sportsmanship, IMO.  If he didn't like the rule, then don't participate in the contest in the first place. 

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 19
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Shani Davis has always been a selfish prima donna, going all the way back to 06 (?) when Chad Hedrick wanted him to help USA win a gold in team pursuit and Davis declined because he wanted to save himself for the individual races.  He has a history of being selfish.  Now there is an election for team representative and he's surprised he didn't win?

I read that he didn't show up to the opening ceremonies.  What a prick.  I hope he does poorly and goes home early. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, blackwing said:

Shani Davis has always been a selfish prima donna, going all the way back to 06 (?) when Chad Hedrick wanted him to help USA win a gold in team pursuit and Davis declined because he wanted to save himself for the individual races.  He has a history of being selfish.  Now there is an election for team representative and he's surprised he didn't win?

I read that he didn't show up to the opening ceremonies.  What a prick.  I hope he does poorly and goes home early. 

I remember that! everyone was so shocked that he declined. I so don't like him. 
Even though these olympics are Costas-free :'( what time is the opening ceremonies for NBC? i love the opening puff piece

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I remember that! everyone was so shocked that he declined. I so don't like him. 
Even though these olympics are Costas-free :'( what time is the opening ceremonies for NBC? i love the opening puff piece

Pacific Time - 5:00 pm.  Encores at 8:00 pm and 12:30 am.

I DVR'd the Canadian broadcast (they aired it live at 3 AM) and I'm watching it now.  

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I hope it’s not a spoiler to say that the US gloves are fug as hell and don’t go with the rest of the outfit.

No kidding.  Why are they wearing oversized cowboy gloves?  Is cattle rustling a winter olympics sport?  Time to get rid of Ralph Lauren.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 4

SO DISAPPOINTED that they couldn't do that great travelogue piece with the incredible National Geographic-style photography about the host country!!  Instead, they just hawked the performers. 

I loved those inspiring openings with the Morgan Freeman/James Earl Jones voiceovers!!

And I hate that there are apparently only about 6 US competitors.  Although I DO love that short track skater Maame who is SO EXCITED!!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I have to say the live-streaming ceremony without commentary was very refreshing.  

I hope it’s not a spoiler to say that the US gloves are fug as hell and don’t go with the rest of the outfit.

they are as ugly as all out

2 minutes ago, GreyBunny said:

I DVR'd the Canadian broadcast (they aired it live at 3 AM) and I'm watching it now.  

No kidding.  Why are they wearing oversized gardening gloves?  Time to get rid of Ralph Lauren.

that's what i did

• Love 2

Ugh, why can't they just let us watch the damned ceremony without interrupting with inane facts every few minutes.  I'm not a moron, and I can figure out what is going on most of the time.  It's like the stupid chatter during parade coverages.

• Love 6
Just now, WhitneyWhit said:

I know those kids represent the colors of the Olympic rings, but when they came together in the middle of the stadium I thought they were going to morph into the Power Rangers.

Actually they didn't represent the rings. I thought so too, and was confused by the white coat, but the Dutch commentator said they stood for elements that helped build Korea or something along those lines.

• Love 2

I've seen short track speed skater Maame Biney in several interviews and, yes, while I get that she's only 18, this is her 1st Olympics, and she's understandably excited--she really does need to calm the hell down.  I can only stand her for about 10 seconds. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

Ugh, why can't they just let us watch the damned ceremony without interrupting with inane facts every few minutes.  I'm not a moron, and I can figure out what is going on most of the time.  It's like the stupid chatter during parade coverages.

Seriously. The NBC team seems surprised that Korea, while Asian, wants to celebrate its uniqueness and does not want to be conflated with Asia as a whole.

• Love 4

I like when the games are in a country that has a different alphabet or character system.  The nations march in in a different order than we're used to and it makes it more interesting.

Jamaica comes in dancing!

They're playing Gangnam Style and the flag bearer from Malta is doing the dance.  That is cute.

So far Nigeria has the best hats.

Eritrea is here for the first time. Do well, Eritrean athletes, and have fun!

The dance routine they're doing for the march of the nations looks like it could be a pretty good low-impact aerobics routine.

The Americans wore heated unforms and fugly gloves while Bermuda came out in - you guessed it - shorts.  Bermuda is badass.

Iran has very nice, stylish coats.  I want one.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I like it now, especially seeing the countries with less than 10 athletes. They just seem so thrilled.

I enjoy it for the randomness of the sport they're competing in.  Nigeria is fronting a women's bobsled team? Why not?  (I had figured they were sprinters who wanted to do a winter sport.) 

On a complete aside, the more I hear NBC's Olympic theme, the more I appreciate the CBC's theme and how they change it up to reflect the country that is hosting the games.  

What order are the countries entering?  I thought it was alphabetic.

They come in order of the official language of the host country. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 2