Type keyword(s) to search

Freestyle, Ski Jumping, and Alpine Skiing

40 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

Basically they were like Dan Hicks announcing Alpine, making observations that any regular viewer could make.  But then again, how much is there really to to talk about in terms of technique going over a mogul?  I can't tell anything about the tricks, it's hard just to count revolutions, so this whole moguls thing is just a bore to me.

For an uneducated viewer like me, it's even worse that the two most obvious aspects of moguls (jumps and time to complete the course), only constitute 40% of the score - the remaining 60% are awarded to the turns, which I find very difficult to evaluate. Sort of like compulsory figures in the old days of figure skating. 

6 minutes ago, Garden Wafers said:

For an uneducated viewer like me, it's even worse that the two most obvious aspects of moguls (jumps and time to complete the course), only constitute 40% of the score - the remaining 60% are awarded to the turns, which I find very difficult to evaluate. Sort of like compulsory figures in the old days of figure skating. 

Agree.  And pretty much all these pros should be able to know how to navigate a mogul, so even if they did talk about technique, the turns happens so fast and there are so many that I just simply don't care.  I think I've learned that you're supposed to keep your knees together, but that's pretty much it.

• Love 1
On 2/24/2018 at 1:30 PM, greyhorse said:

the remaining 60% are awarded to the turns, which I find very difficult to evaluate

That's the reason why the knee pads are a different colour than the rest of the snow suit: it's about precision in your turns so the knees have to be virtually locked in.  Even a slight bobble and your knees open up.  Some skiers are more willing to give up a second or two in order to make sure the turns are clean. 

Meanwhile...alpine team event was almost as useless as the speed skating mass start.

• Love 2

no wonder Canada pulls in so many medals in Freestyle skiing. 
from sochi until now - Canada/OTP/RTE (whatever they call the "get us medals fund) - pumps in 15 million dollars into Freestyle Skiing. 
nothing comes even close. 

• Love 2