Type keyword(s) to search

Snowboarding

While I was hoping for "redemption" for Jacobellis, in the end I was rooting for USA to medal and I really didn't care about her personal story.  It's her own fault that she didn't get gold in Torino, I'm sure it will haunt her forever.  The fact that sports typically always favors the young who are usually faster and stronger means that her chances get smaller each year.  In that really long surfing segment, she made a comment along the likes of "what if I am chasing something that I will never get?" and it makes it seem like this would be her last attempt.  But who knows.  

• Love 1

These Olympics I have officially become bored of Snowboarding, the last straw is Big Air which I just consider pointless. Obviously it's Snowboard's answer to Freestyle skiing but it really isn't spectacular. I honestly would be happy if they removed all of the Snowboard events except for the Snowboard Cross and Slalom and maybe one judged event - maybe halfpipe??  It just seems like every event is the same thing just with different obstacles. I will admit my view may be clouded by the Australian coverage just having anything snowboard on constant repeat even when there are other non-snowboard events happening and insisting I be wowed by it. I'm also confused why they need to have hoodies in their uniform LOL.

• Love 1

So it turns out it was the one Canadian that nobody was talking about that wins gold. That's awesome for him. And Parrot and McMorris already had medals from slopestyle, so now everyone gets to take home some hardware!

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 4

Congrats to Sebastien Toutant!  I was really hoping Max Parrot could medal and go 1-2.   Sad for Mark McMorris, but he still has a medal in slopestyle.

2 minutes ago, Cindyluwho said:

You have no faith in our hockey team?

If they play the way they did this morning... then no.  But maybe a fire got lit under them.   Is it the same #2 goalie who is starting in place of the injured one?

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Congrats to Sebastien Toutant!  I was really hoping Max Parrot could medal and go 1-2.   Sad for Mark McMorris, but he still has a medal in slopestyle.

If they play the way they did this morning... then no.  But maybe a fire got lit under them.   Is it the same #2 goalie who is starting in place of the injured one?

I was kind of rooting for Parrot too, if only because I felt bad that his slopestyle silver was completely overshadowed next to the (understandable) focus on McMorris' comeback from that awful crash. But Toutant has gotten even less coverage, so good for him for bringing it today.

1 hour ago, Bill1978 said:

These Olympics I have officially become bored of Snowboarding, the last straw is Big Air which I just consider pointless. Obviously it's Snowboard's answer to Freestyle skiing but it really isn't spectacular. I honestly would be happy if they removed all of the Snowboard events except for the Snowboard Cross and Slalom and maybe one judged event - maybe halfpipe??  It just seems like every event is the same thing just with different obstacles. I will admit my view may be clouded by the Australian coverage just having anything snowboard on constant repeat even when there are other non-snowboard events happening and insisting I be wowed by it. I'm also confused why they need to have hoodies in their uniform LOL.

Even Red Gerard felt Big Air was pointless.  

Where was the ski jumping events?  I miss the days of the more traditional winter events.  Now it’s Super G, snowboarding tricks, ski tricks, and team skating.

13 hours ago, roamyn said:

Even Red Gerard felt Big Air was pointless.  

Where was the ski jumping events?  I miss the days of the more traditional winter events.  Now it’s Super G, snowboarding tricks, ski tricks, and team skating.

If he felt it was that pointless, would have left the Games to go back to America to do a quick media tour and then come back?  

Ski jumping events happened, but those happened overnight in North America so it was one of the many events I missed overall.  

I think Red was just having fun. Slope is his best event (obviously) and he knew he was unlikely to podium unless all the heavy hitters fell on all of their runs since he doesn't have the same degree-of-difficulty tricks... yet. I loved how excited he was for Kyle. I felt bad for Max. He's dominated X Games big air the past few years but couldn't put it down here.

• Love 2

I thought that was interesting, too.  My theory is that Big air is just one jump, not a series of jump, so they feel they don't have to be as forgiving for falling.  In each run of slopestyle and half pipes, there are several hits you have to make, each one with a chance of a fall.  With Big air, there's only one per run.  Plus they want versatility, so they require the 2 jumps that count to be different.  You can't do that if you throw away 2/3 runs.  With slopestyle and halfpipe, you can show your versatility in just one run.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I'm curious, why in Big Air do they take the best two out of three runs but in all the other snowboarding (and the freestyle skiing cousins) that have three runs it's best of three?  

Not sure if this answers your question, but apparently they have to do two different jumps, so they need two good jumps to even be in contention.  The third jump is to make up for a missed jump or to better a score on a completed jump. Did I say "jump" enough times?:)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mtlchick said:

If he felt it was that pointless, would have left the Games to go back to America to do a quick media tour and then come back?  

Ski jumping events happened, but those happened overnight in North America so it was one of the many events I missed overall.  

Hey I’m just pointing out that is what he said in his media tour interviews.