Type keyword(s) to search

YYYYEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!

I watched the entire overtime period on mute because a friend called, and it was VERY STRESSFUL to semi-watch what was happening and semi-listen to her.  Coincidentally, she said she had to go to bed right after overtime ended, and I was like, "OK, YES, SLEEP WELL, BYE."

• Love 3

The Canadian women looked like they are lined up to be executed.  I get it, but still you had to know you had a 50% chance of a silver medal going in.

Odd question, but - I noticed most, if not all, of the women are wearing earrings.  Do they wear them while playing?

• Love 1

Holy Moly, that was crazy!  It took everything I had while watching a bit delayed not to cheat and find out who won the shootout.  My life expectancy probably dropped a couple of years, but worth it!  Wow!  

• Love 4

I am so sad at the outcome but full marks to the US team. Most people only watch women's hockey at the Olympics and generally assume Canada is favoured. That was not the case this year. The Americans have won all the major competitions (World Championships, Four Nations Cup) since Sochi.

Games should not be decided in a shootout, and while the US team will take the win (and totally deserved it as the better team), I think even they'd agree that shootouts are no effing way to decide a championship. Stupid IIHF rules.

• Love 5

What a battle. Disappointed that Canada lost (still proud of our women), more disappointed that because of IHF rules an amazing battle had to be decided on a shootout, and I'm most disappointed with Canada's coaching for this. Canada's coach relied too much on certain players to protect that lead in the third which led to players being benched or playing much less time in the latter half of the second and all of the third while overworking players like Fortino (who seemed out there for almost every other shift). The Americans are fast but you could tell in the first half that Canada knew how to contain and adjusted their game after the first period in order to capitalize on offensive chances but by the third, their players were just too overworked with longer, more frequent shifts. Not at all surprised that the tying goal in the third was a result of a clear breakaway caused by a really bad change.

Congratulations to Team USA. They are always a competitive rival on the ice and it seems apropos that after so many Olympics of walking away with second, they win the gold in what is possibly the Lamoureaux sister's last Olympics.

• Love 5

I am amused at all of the USA celebrities are tweeting "OMG CONGRATS!!!!!" to the USA team when I bet most of them didn't spend 30 seconds watching ANY  of the tournament. 

13 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

As a Canadian, I don't appreciate the poor sportsmanship.  Get over yourselves.  You win some, you lose some.  She looks like a pre-schooler.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/rules-trump-emotion-as-canadian-womens-hockey-player-ordered-to-wear-silver-medal/article38062105/

Seriously.  I get losing sucks, but I feel that most other countries would have been thrilled winning silver especially in this event.  We had a good run.  It was simply not our day, IIHF rules aside.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Tanichka said:

As a Canadian, I don't appreciate the poor sportsmanship.  Get over yourselves.  You win some, you lose some.  She looks like a pre-schooler.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/rules-trump-emotion-as-canadian-womens-hockey-player-ordered-to-wear-silver-medal/article38062105/

I don't think it was poor sportsmanship. In the most recent World Juniors, the captain of Team Sweden tossed his silver medal into the crowd which is being a bit extra. In the moment, it's not about making excuses or being 'too good' for silver, it's about being caught up in the disappointment in yourself and feeling like you've let yourself, your teammates and your country down.  I wouldn't be quick to call it poor sportsmanship when we're talking about someone who dedicates so much of their lives for the opportunity to wear their country colours and represent a nation (and with that, the pressure that comes with it). Had she tossed the medal, become belligerent or provided post-game comments to the media which made excuses or tried to discredit Team USA's loss, then I would definitely agree with you. In the moment of heartbreak, she's just being human. She'll get over it, I'm sure.

P.S. I love how Szabados is examining her silver medal in the picture (from the link posted). She's so used to gold that she's looking at that silver like it's a totally foreign object, lol. I'm especially proud of her - 3 straight Olympics, she's been a backbone to the team. Hope she has it in her to be at Beijing as well.

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 1

As a Canadian, I'm bummed to lose but at the same time, it isn't much of a rivalry if we always win. Women's Hockey isn't competitive enough as it is; we don't need a dynasty to take away the only nail biter of a match.

I do hate shoot outs so much though. It seems like a really weak way to decide what team is playing better hockey that day.

Not a great look for sure. It's hard when you fight to win but when you're in sports you learn those end of game rituals starting when you're a little kid. You shake hands, you respect the other team, you don't pout or get angry. She knew better.

• Love 12

These are athletes who have been competing and have been the best player (or one of the best players) on their teams for their entire lives. You put the medal on, you wear the medal. This isn't high school, it's the Olympics - you're not the only one who was beaten and was disappointed with your result. It is rude. The Swedish kid was rude, too. Having said that, I am surprised that there's a "legality" involved.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, RHJunkie said:

I don't think it was poor sportsmanship. In the most recent World Juniors, the captain of Team Sweden tossed his silver medal into the crowd which is being a bit extra. In the moment, it's not about making excuses or being 'too good' for silver, it's about being caught up in the disappointment in yourself and feeling like you've let yourself, your teammates and your country down.  I wouldn't be quick to call it poor sportsmanship when we're talking about someone who dedicates so much of their lives for the opportunity to wear their country colours and represent a nation (and with that, the pressure that comes with it). Had she tossed the medal, become belligerent or provided post-game comments to the media which made excuses or tried to discredit Team USA's loss, then I would definitely agree with you. In the moment of heartbreak, she's just being human. She'll get over it, I'm sure.

P.S. I love how Szabados is examining her silver medal in the picture (from the link posted). She's so used to gold that she's looking at that silver like it's a totally foreign object, lol. I'm especially proud of her - 3 straight Olympics, she's been a backbone to the team. Hope she has it in her to be at Beijing as well.

Oh, boo, hoo.  Suck it up.  Not winning gold is not letting your country down, acting like a jerk is letting your country down.  

Too many of these types around.

• Love 15

USA! USA! USA!

though it sucks that a gold medal had to be decided on a skill competition. There's a reason there are no shootouts in play offs: there's enough pure chance in the game already.

Loved the moves on those girls though, and I LIVE for poke checks like the one on the first attempt!

• Love 6

Gah, I’m really only an every four years hockey fan, but I really felt for the US women because we were hearing about the 20 year gold medal drought from all corners. Players coming back for their third Olympics without having brought home gold must have been going nuts with pressure. Not sure about Canadian coverage, but the pressure to retain gold must have also been overwhelming. 

I have to say, I hope the player taking off her silver medal isn’t too much of a kerfuffle in the media. In my opinion, she is an adult (unlike the Swedish player, who was a teenager, right?) and should have left it on despite her disappointment, but it can be noted that this isn’t acceptable and then people can move on. I can see her being villified for a split second decision, but we’ll see how this plays out. 

Anyway, what a game! I can’t say I know too much beyond the basics, but my stomach was in knots throughout. I had to switch channels briefly when Canada went up 2-1. Regardless of how you feel about shootouts, the game winning goal was amazing!

• Love 4

Oh, boo, hoo.  Suck it up.  Not winning gold is not letting your country down, acting like a jerk is letting your country down.  

I wouldn't categorize it as acting like a jerk. Not even poor sportsmanship as it didn't take away from the credit or celebrations of Team USA.  Silver is nothing to sneeze at but to point out - SHE isn't the one making a display out of it.  The media and us who are commenting on it are the ones giving this life. It was an immature and selfish moment for her. God forbid us other human beings judging her too harshly for behaviour that on some level, we have probably been guilty of ourselves in our young and even experienced adult years. The difference is that we didn't have our moments in front of the world and then have the world access to public commentary on how you should just 'suck it up' sheer moments after heartbreaking defeat. They aren't robots.

Edit: I understand people will have varying opinions on this, I'm just sharing my take on it. Does it look great when an athlete rejects wearing a medal? No, but I try my best to myself in their shoes rather than measure against my own expectations, I would like to think these things aren't done with malicious intent so just like the Swedish kid, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 2

Re: the player taking off her medal. Maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal if she hadn't taken it off right after they put it on her. In doing it right then, she made it the story of the medal ceremony. I understand she was upset, but maybe suck it up and deal for a bit. The Olympics are a bit different from the World Juniors.

Also, they can't act like the Canadian women are always beating the US. In the last few Olympics, yes, but in world championships the US has been dominant over the last few years. 

• Love 14

I'm an American and actually support the Canadian player's refusal to wear the medal. She was raw and emotional. It was an unguarded, human reaction.

That said I hope it puts a dent into the "aw the Canadians are so polite and friendly" b.s. Those of us who watch hockey on all levels know what crap that is. And there's nothing wrong with being competitive, rude jerks every once and a while. Beats being a phony.

• Love 6

Ehh, it's similar to Makayla Maroney the gymnast with the smirk and the look on Nancy Kerrigan's face when she didn't win gold.  I get it.  She is disappointed that they didn't win it all. But wear the dang medal, for Pete's sake.  Lots of other athletes would be thrilled to get any type of podium finish.

• Love 12
43 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Hey, Canadian hockey players, you had the lead in the 3rd period, you blew it.  There wouldn’t have been a shoot out, otherwise.  

There’s no crying in hockey!

Am I the only one who recalls the less than gracious reactions of the US women during their medal ceremony after they lost (after blowing a 2 goal lead) in Sochi?  There was a lot of crying in hockey that day.  (granted, I don't THINK any of them removed their medal immediately, but some refused to even bend their heads down to help out the person placing the medals around their necks)

Kudos to the US women for winning the gold. And kudos to Canada for winning the silver.

Edited by KellySunshine
just adding a side note
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

I remember when Irina Slutskaya got bronze in Turin (after she was totally robbed in Salt Lake) and Russian media was on her case saying stuff like "our condolences on the bronze" or "so sorry you're third" and she looked at them like they were crazy. Finally she got fed up with that and said "i was third. yes. I was third in the whole world out of hundreds and thousands of people that strive for that. are any of you at least third in your filed? I'm proud of my medal and happy to be one of the top representatives of my sport"

and that was "puny" bronze.

Suck it up and take a step back. You are a MEDALIST at the Olympics where the best of the best (except that ski half pipe lol) come to compete.

To be clear, Irina Slutskaya was not "totally robbed" in Salt Lake City.  She actually should've been placed lower than second after her sloppy skate with its nonexistent artistry, but she had to be placed second so that Sarah Hughes – by far the best skater that night – could (deservedly) win the gold.

Anyway, regarding Larocque, I sympathize with heartbreaking losses, but I don't have any sympathy for her display of poor sportsmanship.  This isn't like the Stanley Cup or the World Series or Wimbledon: you lose this match, but you still receive a prize – and an amazing prize at that.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, KellySunshine said:

Am I the only one who recalls the less than gracious reactions of the US women during their medal ceremony after they lost (after blowing a 2 goal lead) in Sochi?  There was a lot of crying in hockey that day.  (granted, I don't THINK any of them removed their medal immediately, but some refused to even bend their heads down to help out the person placing the medals around their necks)

Kudos to the US women for winning the gold. And kudos to Canada for winning the silver.

Lots of less than gracious behaviour by both.  How about mandatory charm school for athletes (men & women)?  Lol

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

To be clear, Irina Slutskaya was not "totally robbed" in Salt Lake City.  She actually should've been placed lower than second after her sloppy skate with its nonexistent artistry, but she had to be placed second so that Sarah Hughes – by far the best skater that night – could (deservedly) win the gold.

Anyway, regarding Larocque, I sympathize with heartbreaking losses, but I don't have any sympathy for her display of poor sportsmanship.  This isn't like the Stanley Cup or the World Series or Wimbledon: you lose this match, but you still receive a prize – and an amazing prize at that.

who underrotated all of her jumps. She'd never win in the current system.

• Love 2

Both teams have their moments of gracelessness, but these teams have nothing on the older ones in 98 and 02. Pretty much once Hayley retired, that was the last of the real hatred. The women play against and with each other in the US College system. There are best friends across country lines. There are life partners across country lines. Heck, I am almost relieved that Duggan finally got her gold medal because I think knowing her partner won all those golds and she didn't probably really chapped her.

I'm not sure if it's being reported south of the border or not, but the Canadian media was having a heyday with Scott Moir being at the game. He's been at every whockey gold medal game of all three Olympics he's been to, but I guess he's a little more famous this time. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, vavera4ka said:

who underrotated all of her jumps. She'd never win in the current system.

Well, they didn’t skate under the new system, so that’s a specious argument, and Slutskaya’s program was a mess, regardless. I wanted Kwan to win that night, and she should have finished ahead of Slutskaya in the long; however, Hughes skated easily the best program, and I’m fine with the way the ordinals shook out since it meant the actually best skater won gold that night. I can think of numerous figure skaters who were robbed at the Olympics; Slutskaya is nowhere close to that list.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Tanichka said:

Didn't see too many smiling American players at the last Olympics when they lost in overtime to Canada, pot meet kettle...

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, wintrygal said:

Didn't see too many smiling American players at the last Olympics when they lost in overtime to Canada, pot meet kettle...

not smiling vs yanking off your medal... yeah that's totally the same...

in some sense getting bronze is better than silver in a team sport like that, cause right then and there you LOST to get silver. I understand being sad. That's normal. Refusing to wear that medal? that's childish and disrespectful. Would they like to switch medals with Finnish girls?

18 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Well, they didn’t skate under the new system, so that’s a specious argument, and Slutskaya’s program was a mess, regardless. I wanted Kwan to win that night, and she should have finished ahead of Slutskaya in the long; however, Hughes skated easily the best program, and I’m fine with the way the ordinals shook out since it meant the actually best skater won gold that night. I can think of numerous figure skaters who were robbed at the Olympics; Slutskaya is nowhere close to that list.

this is a hockey thread so i'm not gonna be debating, how SP results were not reflecting the quality of skating. Yes they weren't competing under new rules but that was one of the results that pushed the ISU to develop new system.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, wintrygal said:

Not smiling and/or crying is a wee bit different than yanking your medal off. Nobody expects the silver medalists to cheer or be happy. Just don't be a jerk for a few minutes. 

• Love 22

Back in her soccer days my sister always said she preferred third place over second because you won to get third and lost to get second. In the team vs team showdown, that's what it comes down to. And yeah, they're competitors so it sucks to get the silver. This happens at the World Cup, too. The team that loses the final has to go up and get their medals which they pretty much all immediately take off after they run through the gauntlet of officials... and then they have to stand there for how long while the team that just beat them after they've all been through a month's worth of tournament games gets their medals, the trophy, glitter bombs and endless dancing.

But I do find it petulant. Be upset that you lost. But taking off an Olympic medal immediately after it's been hung around your neck is not a good look on anyone. I don't care where they're from. They're athletes who have dedicated their lives to excelling in their sport. I don't expect them to be thrilled with losing THE game but I do expect them to stand up and accept it. That's life.

As for the legal side of it, I think the IOC is pretty much over athletes getting snotty about not winning. I recall Plushenko and his 'platinum medal' nonsense when he won silver.

And yeah, the media can be raging assholes about medals.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Not smiling and/or crying is a wee bit different than yanking your medal off. Nobody expects the silver medalists to cheer or be happy. Just don't be a jerk for a few minutes. 

Oh well, alright, at least they didn't put the American flag on the floor of their dressing room and use it for a carpet like the Americans did last time.  It's her medal as far as I'm concerned and her right to remove, she was in the moment and will likely feel bad on hindsight.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, wintrygal said:

Oh well, alright, at least they didn't put the American flag on the floor of their dressing room and use it for a carpet like the Americans did last time.  It's her medal as far as I'm concerned and her right to remove, she was in the moment and will likely feel bad on hindsight.

I know we're the ugly Americans, but we're not talking about last time. We're talking about this time. Americans acting poorly doesn't give the Canadian a free pass on her behavior.

But YMMV. 

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 14

Just watched the replay highlights, and then the medal ceremony.  The American team put their arms around each other, and sang the anthem loudly: with gusto, with joy.  Their vitality came like a sock to the jaw, even hours later, even hundreds of miles away.  I wept.

Hey NBC!!!  You really blew it here.  Your nose was so far up the collective ass of other athletes, other events, that you missed the hockey women in all their glory.

Eh.  They didn't need ya.  Congratulations, Team USA!!  Enjoy every moment of this.  You deserve it.

And Team Canada!  Great job.  A victory is always sweeter for coming over a tough, talented competitor.

• Love 3

Even if it wasn't the best result, that was a great game.  I don't agree with Joceylne Larocque doing a Surya Bonaly.  I get that she was disappointed, but to me it's a poor reflection of her team and her country.  She got to play in the Olympics and win a silver medal.  Instead of talking about her play, the media is having a field day about her Bonaly.  

But hey, hockey is a team sport and it's a lot harder to be remembered as an individual than if you were a skier or figure skater.  Larocque just gave us something to remember her by.  I'm not sure if she's young enough to be around in 4 years, but you can bet the media will be talking about this if she is.  Not sure if that's a good thing.

Then again, look, people are still talking about Surya Bonaly 20 years later.  To the point where I would arguably say that "to do a Bonaly" is part of sports lingo.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, wintrygal said:

Come on now, that flag "controversy" was debunked within days (it was '02 and not "last time"), and Wickenheiser herself has walked it back (Question #6)

• Love 10