Type keyword(s) to search

I fell in love with curling during the Turin games in 2006 because it was pretty much the only thing on when I'd get home from work around 5:45PM.  Can't wait to see some coverage these games and also see what the Norwegian men will be wearing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I fell in love with curling during the Turin games in 2006 because it was pretty much the only thing on when I'd get home from work around 5:45PM.  Can't wait to see some coverage these games and also see what the Norwegian men will be wearing.

The Norwegian curling pants are quite wild this time around.  Which is really saying something.

• Love 2

I am really into the curling this year. I love the mixed doubles format and the US team is fun. I heard that Matt Hamilton grows that glorious mustache just for the curling season. I watched him explain curling with Legos and it was really fun. I hope they do well.

• Love 1
On 2/8/2018 at 2:54 PM, proserpina65 said:

The Norwegian curling pants are quite wild this time around.  Which is really saying something.

While I root for my Canadians (currently airing live on the main outlet), I LIVE for Norway's pants.  It doesn't hurt that some of the men's players are cute. 

• Love 4

I've just taken up curling in the past two years and it's a lot of fun! I can't help wondering if the Olympic Athletes follow the tradition that the winners buy the losing team a beer (or adult beverage of choice) as we do in my very rec league. It really makes the games win-win. 

Go Canada and Go Norwegian Pants!

• Love 3

The Norwegian Valentine pants are fabulous. The only issue I have is that NBC is focusing on Great Britain and Canada so I only get to see the fanciest of pants way on the other side of the arena.

Hey, NBC... this person of Norwegian descent would like a little focus on them. I mean, come on!

• Love 4

Mr. Moving and I love to watch Curling.  We can't explain why but we do.  During the last Olympics our six year old nephew was visiting and he decided that we could play too.  We got the push broom from the garage and he put on his "slippery" footie pajamas, which he put a liberal amount of baby powder on the backside ( I was lucky he used that instead of baby oil)  Mr. Moving and I spent the evening "Curling" our nephew across the kitchen floor.  Four years later and he still remembers this and he wants to do it again.  However, at ten years old he is taller than his mother and SO much heavier.  My hubby and I are 4 years older as well and there is no way we will be able to recreate that evening but the three of us will always have that silly memory.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, SophiaD said:

That is such a sweet story, @movingtargetgal.  I love the thought of the two of you shieing your small nephew across the floor.

Since we can no longer "Curl" him across the kitchen floor, this weekend I will teach him to "figure skate" in his stocking feet on the hardwood floor in my living room.  I have been participating in this "sport" every four years since I was his age.  It's important to pass on the family tradition of crashing into end tables and breaking lamps. :)  

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Darknight said:

This sport was boring to me a few years ago. After watching it I love it. I need to join a club or something to learn how to play

Yeah, I was on the phone with my dad last night and after he went on about what a stupid sport curling is, we watched it together over the phone for like an hour. Sure, dad, you hate it. Riiiiight.

Also, I saw this commercial this morning:

• Love 2

What on earth is going on with Rachel Homan?  An abysmal 0-3 start and now this flap about her etiquette breach over the burned rock.  She and her team are very much in danger of missing the medal round, quite embarrassing considering she was a gold medal favourite. 

• Love 2

Oh, Rachel!   I have always respected you as a curler, but never warmed up to you as a person. But now, you have lost any support I and many others may have given you.  You make me miss Jennifer Jones! (Did I just say that?)

I can't find myself cheering against Canada though, so I think I will choose not to watch the ladies' event. 

Go team Koe! 

• Love 1

Well, it looks like they finally lit a fire under Homan et al., after that hammering they gave the USA.

The South Korean team beats Great Britain, continuing its pretty strong run thus far.  They're coached by Prince Edward Island curling legend Peter Gallant (father of Brett Gallant, who's on Brad Gushue's team), so that created some mixed feelings here when they beat the Canadian team.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Well, it looks like they finally lit a fire under Homan et al., after that hammering they gave the USA.

As an American, I hoped Roth and company would be able to take advantage of Canada's sluggish tournament start. Instead, I was treated to a very rough match. Letting Canada steal 3 at the very start? Yikes. 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Cindyluwho said:

Oh, Rachel!   I have always respected you as a curler, but never warmed up to you as a person. But now, you have lost any support I and many others may have given you.  You make me miss Jennifer Jones! (Did I just say that?)

Right now Rachel isn't even close  to be mentioned in the same breath as Sandra Schmirler.  

Complete aside, Mr. T.'s Twitter feed is all about his new love for curling and how he wants to try it.  

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, selkie said:

I would have thought curlers were some of the least likely to dope. 

Yeah, I'm lost on that one. I can't even lift a curling stone and I can still throw heavy enough to sending the rock sailing right through the house with no particular effort. I don't know how doping helps with the main challenge of curling which is forcing 40 pound of granite to go where you want it (and believe me, that is waaay harder than it looks).

• Love 2

Well, they're now 3-3, heading in the right direction to make the playoffs.  Their next two games are against China and Great Britain, the next two teams above them in the table rankings at the moment, so wins there would simultaneously increase their scores and more their opponents' scores down.  Then there's Russia.

Edit:  Wow, South Korea beat Sweden.  Good job, ladies.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, redfish said:

FINALLY!  Team Canada (women)  finally woke up and starting to play like they want to win.

It's about fucking TIME!!!!  Don't these ladies realize I live on the afterglow of their wins for about almost 4 year of my sad little life?!  ;-)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, redfish said:

FINALLY!  Team Canada (women)  finally woke up and starting to play like they want to win.

I think they passed off the bad mojo to the men's team because they now lost the last 3.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I think they passed off the bad mojo to the men's team because they now lost the last 3.

Life is a series of disappointments, interjected with a smattering of joy.

We'll always have the Norwegian men's curling pants.  

• Love 5
10 hours ago, SeanC said:

Well, Koe and co. snapped their losing streak and decisively beat Japan.

We'll know in a few hours whether that just means they transferred the bad mojo back to Homan and co.

And apparently they did.  Homan lost to China.

Edited by Love
  • Love 1

God...DAMNIT!!! Team Canada (Women) were playing like they want to go home.  And I know they're the world champions but that doesn't mean anything in the Olympics. You start with a blank slate and work your way up to earn your way to an Olympic medal. Ugh.

• Love 2
Just now, redfish said:

God...DAMNIT!!! Team Canada (Women) were playing like they want to go home.  And I know they're the world champions but that doesn't mean anything in the Olympics. You start with a blank slate and work your way up to earn your way to an Olympic medal. Ugh.

Definitely the biggest shock of the games for Canadians. I wonder if they will stick together for another 4 years.

• Love 1

Definitely the biggest shock of the games for Canadians. I wonder if they will stick together for another 4 years.

Probably. But there's no guarantee that they'll win a spot to go to the Olympics at all. And also to add even if they are a team that won a world champion that doesn't mean they don't need a coach/advisor to help them provide an extra POV on strategy and techniques. Every athlete still needs a coach to help/push them improve their game.

• Love 2