Type keyword(s) to search

The Closing Ceremony

I love how NBC cuts to commercial every 10 minutes, and then tells us that due to "time constraints," they couldn't show portions of the ceremony. I know they do this every Olympics, but it still rankles every time.

• Love 17

At least Terry seemed to learn the correct pronunciation of Beijing by the end of the 2022 presentation. Johnny had it from the the start. Tara, no. But she has 4 years to try again. 

• Love 2

I think all closing ceremonies should end with a concert with the best music of the country. Give the paying ticket holders something for their money even if it isn'. televised worldwide.  And fireworks. Because fireworks. And drones, but not in the fireworks. 

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Linderhill said:

I'm also surprised at how quiet our commentators are right now.

I'm really pleasantly surprised by how good they've been. I was nervous when I heard Tara and Johnny were doing the commentating, but greatly relieved when I realized Terry was with them. And they've been pretty good about adding explanatory notes without too much inane commentary. Maybe they should do the opening ceremonies in Tokyo too.

• Love 17

Glad to see Lindsey there, enjoying likely the last Closing Ceremony she'll see as an athlete.  Wondering who the guy was that was giving her a shoulder ride.  Lindsey is a solid 150, that can't be easy for how far and long they have to slowly walk.

Jessie Diggins looked thrilled and so happy.  After the ski marathon today, she joked to the reporter that she would have to have a bobsledder carry her in because she was so tired.  What an honor and memory for her to be chosen the flag bearer.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, Jaded said:

They are airing 2 1/2 hours of the Closing Ceremonies so that they can air A.P. Bio in the last 30 in another desperate attempt to get fans for that show. 

I've never even heard of AP Bio so its a hard pass for me.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I liked Mike's closing remarks about the Olympics giving people a reason to smile. It hit the right note for me.

Yes, Mike Tirico's commentary had me nodding in agreement.  So much depressing news nowdays, that being able to take a break and enjoy the talents of these young people is enjoyable for me.

• Love 12

As with the Opening Ceremony, I wish they had made more effort to identify the athletes we were seeing on screen.  Not all of the Americans are as recognisable as Lindsey Vonn.  I recognised Chris Mazdzer, Maame Biney, Elana Meyers Taylor.  I noticed that Tara and Johnny did identify the Knierims and the stunning Vanessa James from France (and her partner) so maybe they only really know the skaters.  But someone could have been feeding them names through their earpieces.

Wish we also had seen more identification of the flagbearers beyond Jesse Diggins.   They only showed Wu Dajing and that was it.

I am amazed by how choreographed all the dancers/performers were to the stuff being projected onto the floor, that must have taken a lot of practice!

Loved the closing montage.  Great hearing the commentary along with the scenes.  But I kind of miss that final montage that is set to music.

• Love 5

Watching the rebroadcast of the Closing Ceremony right now.  I'm surprised no one noticed that the kid guitarist re-interpreted a version of Vivaldi's winter concerto.

So far, this is pretty cool and Terry, Tara, and Johnny are doing a good job.

• Love 4

I couldn't get into this closing ceremony, it just didn't float my boat, too much K-Pop, I didn't care for that kid with the guitar, the trippy portion was, well, trippy, but the whole thing just fell flat for me. The best part was Mike's parting comments, so true, and very heartfelt IMO.

I also wasn't thrilled with this year's NBC coverage. Yes, there was plenty to watch, but something felt off about it,too much repetition? Losing Bob Costas was huge, and on top of that I really missed the cultural pieces that Mary Carrillo and Chris Collingsworth have done in the past. I think I only saw one piece from Mary. Putting that sort of thing only on Today seems like NBC is trying to force viewers to watch a sinking ship of a Show, Today, not the Olympics. We hardly got to know about Korean culture, and those pieces are always something I look forward to. Also, they never seemed to explain anything in much detail about various sports until literally the last weekend. This Friday evening they did an in depth explanation of curling that totally changed how I view that sport. They did something else in depth yesterday, the last day of competition. I mean, why didn't they do that shit the first weekend so we could better understand sports unfamiliar to us? That sort of thing felt very lazy and almost like an afterthought.

All that said, I always love the Games! It is truly the only existing event that transcends borders, cultures, religions, and all the other bullshit that separates us from one another. I wish they were held more frequently and yet, if they were, perhaps they wouldn't feel as special as they do.

See you guys 2020 for Tokyo!

• Love 10

You posted what I thought about NBC's coverage this year @gingerella. I didn't know they were showing all the cultural pieces on Today. I don't really watch any of the 3 morning shows anymore so I watching Today for those pieces didn't even occur to me. I DVR's the Closing Ceremony and may watch it tonight. I just wasn't up to it last night and watched the Celebrity Big Brother finale instead,

• Love 2
9 hours ago, SophiaD said:

Watching the rebroadcast of the Closing Ceremony right now.  I'm surprised no one noticed that the kid guitarist re-interpreted a version of Vivaldi's winter concerto.

I did!  I thought, holy moly!  That kid is playing Vivaldi!  And it was awesome!

• Love 6

Other than the kid shredding the guitar, I found the closing ceremony to be kind of blah.  I watched to see who was carrying the flags for various nations (and saw only 3 flag bearers - thanks for nothing, NBC) but Tara and Johnny drove me nuts.  I ended up watching re-runs of Big Bang Theory instead.

I did see Vanessa James being carried in by her partner in what was a very impressive lift, however.  Now that's an entrance.

14 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

I love how NBC cuts to commercial every 10 minutes, and then tells us that due to "time constraints," they couldn't show portions of the ceremony. I know they do this every Olympics, but it still rankles every time.

Considering it was all on tape, it really stinks.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Wow, surprising that the segment with Lindsey was cut out and seriously, they couldn't show the 3 minute Olympic highlight reel?  Probably because NBC had planned one at the end with Mike Tirico.  I guess the Olympic highlight reel wouldn't have featured enough US athletes.

I'm always sad when the flame is extinguished and the Olympics are over.  I always get the "oh wait, I really wished I watched more and more of the Games, and now I have to wait another 2.5 years" kind of feeling.  Everything is recorded on the DVR, but there's hours and hours of coverage so it's hard, plus the outcomes are all known so it's anticlimactic.

• Love 3
On 2/24/2018 at 12:39 PM, kittykat said:

I'm not surprised at Diggins carrying for US.  Our first Cross country medal, and it's gold.  Thats flag bearing achievement right there.

I don’t no if anyone’s responded, but as an overall Cross Country medal, it’s actually the US’s 2nd.  Bill Koch won silver at Innsbruck in ‘76.

But for the women, it’s the first.

• Love 1
On 2/25/2018 at 7:47 PM, Snow Apple said:

Wow. If this is China's preview, what's in store four years from now?

Beijing seems to have learned a lesson from the reception that the 2008 Opening Ceremony had.  That ceremony was seen as too stiff, formal, and boring.  I'm guessing that in 2022, they'll try for a much lighter, more informal party tone of the type that London and Rio had.

Edited by legaleagle53
11 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Beijing seems to have learned a lesson from the reception that the 2008 Opening Ceremony had.  That ceremony was seen as too stiff, formal, and boring.  I'm guessing that in 2022, they'll try for a much lighter, more informal party tone of the type that London and Rio had.

I thought the 2008 one got rave reviews.  I mean, who can forget those drummers?

• Love 10

Same here. I absolutely loved the Beijing Open Ceremonies. London and Rio were definitely a downgrade for me.  I agree Beijing was formal but also dazzling to watch from my couch.  The party atmosphere-concert vibe hasn't done much for me. 

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 5