Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E02: Week 2

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

WOW! That does not look like the same person to me at all. she was quite the hottie back then. Not so much now, though it could been the desperation and crazy oozing out of her. 

I think the difference is the innocent and fairly optimistic quality that we see in this photo, contrasted with a far more angry woman that we're currently seeing. I suspect producer shenanigans - they're trying to rile her up because this group actually looks reasonable. I think that's why they're trying out several women as potential villains. Because the more I think about it, the more likely it was that the producers were goading Krystal into seeking extra time. Other than Tia, I don't really dislike any of them. I think Chelsea is more of production misdirect than anything else. Don't see any kind of connection between her and Arie. Nor between Bibiana and Arie either.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, PreBabylonia said:

Nor between Bibiana and Arie either.

Wait, you didn't see that deep connection when she finally got her time with him and sat there, blank faced and not saying a word? Come on, they are practically engaged! haha

I see nothing with Bibiana at all. She's definitely a producer pick. I think so far his interest in any of them isn't much deeper than wondering what they look like naked. He's saying all the right things, and making all the right moves to get them all hot and bothered, but it all seems pretty rehearsed so far. He has been doing this long enough to know exactly how to drop the panties. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Wait, you didn't see that deep connection when she finally got her time with him and sat there, blank faced and not saying a word? Come on, they are practically engaged! haha

I see nothing with Bibiana at all. She's definitely a producer pick. I think so far his interest in any of them isn't much deeper than wondering what they look like naked. He's saying all the right things, and making all the right moves to get them all hot and bothered, but it all seems pretty rehearsed so far. He has been doing this long enough to know exactly how to drop the panties. 

Ohh so cynical! I think a little bit differently. He may have it in the back of his mind that this is an easy and fun way to meet women in a relaxed setting (for him), and he is open to meeting someone he could become serious about. But if he doesn't, he will definitely have some fun in the fantasy suite. If we can believe Courtney Robertson, he just wanted to make out with her but she pushed to go far beyond kissing. If we can believe her anyway...

• Love 1

I kind of think that is how they all approach the show. That it is a good way to get publicity for whatever social media career they are trying to launch, that it is a fun time with the travel and the free flowing booze and the dates with hot people. And the getting to make out with a bunch of attractive people. I think any of them would be fine with actually meeting "the one" but that is secondary, at least it should be, because the odds of some ABC casting agent being able to find your true love out of a bunch of attractive fame whores nearly insurmountable. But it happens. Or some just have lower standards and just want to get married to get it over with and start making babies. 

What do you mean I'm cynical? I don't see it at all. HAHAHAHA

• Love 7

What is it with the women they choose and the animals they love but can't correctly identify? One season it's a "dolphin" who's really a shark. This time the girl who collect taxidermy (ew!) presents her "seal" which Arie correctly identifies as really being an otter.  Too weird and stupid for words--I'd immediately send them home for things like that.

Arie is surprisingly low-key and soft-spoken. With his reputation as a suave ladies' man and hotshot race car driver, I expected him to come across cockier and more macho.  His mild, seemingly modest, presentation is effective, but I haven't decided how authentic it is.  For example, with all the embarrassment and laughter over his photo album and home movies, I couldn't help but think he has done that many times before on dates. It made me question how much of his charm is simply based on things he's learned before work well with women.

Was that date with Krystal? I don't know their names yet. Her resemblance to his mother was really uncanny.  I also wasn't impressed after she told him about her brother's sad story returning to the streets in Venice (Ca.).  He never even asked, "Have you talked with him since?" or "How's he doing now?" Instead he just was thinking about it related to himself and trying to say the right thing for their "relationship",: "that doesn't make me think any less of you."  I really couldn't believe he never thought about what happened to her brother since. Seemed very self- absorbed to me.

Also, with Becca, who seemed pleasant, it seemed he wanted her to actually ask him questions about his experience before and also for advice or pitfalls going forward. Again, I was surprised that she didn't.  She made it about the present, when it seems pretty clear that Arie is still kind of held up in the past and Emily. (Including him saying, "I was worried there wouldn't be anyone here for me".  And there probably isn't. That could have been an interesting conversation, but instead didn't go anywhere.)

I'm 100% convinced he feels Emily was the love of his life and still can't believe she didn't choose him. I guess I'm just wondering how genuine he really is about everything else. (Also, at some point, no matter how beautiful and enthusiastic the women all are, maybe you start to feel too old for all this.).

• Love 8

Sitting here on the sofa Sunday morning, thinking profound thoughts about The Bachelor, I realized Bekah is not interested in being Arie's wife. She's auditioning to be the next Bachelorette. She's setting herself up to have a fake broken heart so she can courageously seek love, despite being deeply wounded, as a Bachelorette. She's auditioning for audience support and also to prospective candidates.

• Love 8

Misc Thoughts:

Becca and the her  1-on-1: I like Becca. She seems very normal and likable and I quietly funny (I thought the ‘fix my breaks’ was funnier than it’s been given credit for. I’m not even quite sure that Arie got it). I think she and Arie look great together, but the date bored me and most of the fashion was unflattering (and she seems to wear clothes well so I blame the clothes). She and Arie seem comfortable together, but I’m not sure I see chemistry. And

Krystal: God, I just can’t stop hating her. From the way she talked about how she’d handle the motorcycle to the constant smiling and the ‘I don’t want to gloat’ about everything to the airy, candy-coated voice. She does look so much like Arie’s mom that I can’t help but think that that’s why the producer’s got her on this date. Have we ever seen childhood, family movies on the Bachelor before (I do tend to skip the hometown dates; I guess that’s when they’d happen)? Because showing those videos and letting us see Arie’s mom at a younger age really underscored the similarity.  And seeing them all together in the living room, if I didn’t know better, I’d have thought it was Krystal who was related to Mieke rather than Arie. Kinda creepy.

And she’s just so self absorbed: rushing through conversations to the parts where she can talk, interrupting Arie’s family so that she could talk, breaking into other get conversations so that she can talk some more. And there’s something about how she is constantly flipping her hair and twitching her shoulders that really bugs.

The Group Date: I thought it looked like so much fun. I enjoyed Tia, Sienne, Brittany and Chris Harrison a lot during this date/episode.  It's the first time in years that I thought CH was enjoying being on an episode of non-paradise bachelor. 

What’s with Jenna and all the gestures? My oldest daughter is on the spectrum and she will act like that when she gets excited and nervous—I don’t know if it’s possible that Jenna is on the spectrum, but it’s those gestures are so common for those that are.

Annaliese and her fear of bumper carts; yeah it’s a weird fear but people have all sorts of fears. I thought that  most of the joking about was funny and in good spirits (and wonderfully tongue in cheek), but Jenni’s bitchiness was straight up bitchy.  Also, I overall liked Annaliese so much more when she wasn’t focused on that stupid mask.

I really like Kendall though it's hard to imagine that she's not playing up her quirkiness (but knowing this show for what it is, I don't really care about that).  Surprised too that she'd travel with the seal though. In my (limited) experience, taxidermy in general and vintage taxidermy in particular is pretty fragile. I do think Arie has responded well to her 'nuttiness'. 

Chelsea: blah blah blah mysterious Blah blah blah motherhood blah blah blah it’s so different for me blah blah blah child blah blah blah….Single parenthood as a personality has never been less interesting on this show and it’s always always been damn boring.

Bibiana: Stop playing into the producers’ hands. I mean, go ahead and play into them  if you know that you’re doing it….But I’m not convinced that she does.

I can just hear the producer(s) behind the scenes to Bibi as the night goes on: “Do you think that it means that Arie’s not interested in getting to know you because he hasn’t spoken to you to yet? Do you think that Krystal’s interruptions may have made it harder for Arie to get to know you? Do you think that if he doesn’t get to know you than you’re more likely to go home tonight? Would it be Krystal’s fault if you go home tonight?”

Also, I was okay with her confronting Krystal even though I think she’s all bluster but I hate that “my man” crap.  The entire premise of the show is that he’s everyone’s man, but also you can’t tell me that she cares anymore about him than he cares about her.

Shallow note: I really do think Bibiana is super cute and I love her face especially w/o makeup (during that ‘everyone sitting around sweats’ scene, she was shockingly pretty) but her neck continues to be almost nonexistent and gets shorter as the night progresses and it creeps me out. It’s probably a stress thing. I know that I carry stress in my shoulders and neck and they will start tightening up as I become more upset or worried …If Bibiana is actually an example of this, I should probably worry about how neck-less that I appear when worried about things .

Bekah: I still think she’s a total standout and that she and Arie are having fun playing together, but I’m not sure that there actual 'conncection' is very deep.  I do think she’s enjoying herself (which is nice to watch as so often everyone is so serious so soon), that she’s had some great comments andthat we will definitely be seeing her in Paradise and possibly winter games (if she gets let go from this season in time) because she just doesn’t feel like the winner or like a future bachelorette (but I’ve been surprised by who gets those titles before) to me.  I will say I can see her being in the Bachelor family for a long time and becoming the bachelorette at some future date.

Sienne is impressive on so many levels and she seems so likable and is just gorgeous. Right now she might be my favorite. 

Pretty, pretty bitchy bitchy Jenny with her candy-cute appearance and crappy attitude and need to take digs when rejected : It’s too bad she doesn’t have a personality as charming as the freckles on her nose. 

Valerie: I don’t know why because we saw so little of her but I liked her and it’s too bad that she’s gone.

About Arie: I don't think he's the most exciting bachelor ever and who knows about his long term intentions, but I basically like watching him interact. He's mellow and actually seems to listen when being spoken to and enjoy his conversations. 

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, nicgwatchingtv said:

I think [Becca] and Arie look great together, but the date bored me and most of the fashion was unflattering (and she seems to wear clothes well so I blame the clothes).

It's definitely the clothes. Rachel Zoe became "famous" for styling Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie back in their heyday, then she got her own reality show, and now she sells her stuff on QVC. I don't think any real celebrities or fashion publications take her seriously.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

It's definitely the clothes. Rachel Zoe became "famous" for styling Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie back in their heyday, then she got her own reality show, and now she sells her stuff on QVC. I don't think any real celebrities or fashion publications take her seriously.

The fashion mavens have the worst taste. Hell look at Anna  Wintour! Some of the ugliest clothes I’ve ever seen. Same with Zoe. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

Because the fashion mavens are obsessed with labels. If you put an Armani label on a trash bag they'd call it some brilliant commentary of fashion. 

Or a burlap sack.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

Because the fashion mavens are obsessed with labels. If you put an Armani label on a trash bag they'd call it some brilliant commentary of fashion. 

Like the famous Sex and the city Dior newspaper print dress. John Galliano was inspired by the homeless coating themselves in newspapers for warmth. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Or a burlap sack.

You've been watching the I Love Lucy Paris episodes again, haven't you?

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, nicgwatchingtv said:

Also, I was okay with her confronting Krystal even though I think she’s all bluster but I hate that “my man” crap.  The entire premise of the show is that he’s everyone’s man, but also you can’t tell me that she cares anymore about him than he cares about her.

Bibiana is a bit of a collection of contradictions. On one hand, she's talking about how she needs to spend some time with him, not merely so that he can see how amazing she is and that they're totally meant to be, but also so that she can suss out whether or not she's actually into him. Which is something that not enough of these people ever focus on. Just because someone has been declared the prize for this game doesn't mean they're someone that you specifically would want to be with. This process should be as much about the contestants deciding whether or not they want the lead as about the lead deciding which of the contestants they want.* So she was fully making sense to me at those moments. But then, the next second, she's referring to him as "her man," which is just... no. Certainly not at this stage.

* Yes, I realize that this whole premise only really works if we all buy into the idea that the lead is all that, but that's not how reality works, and great, now I've gotten into a reality-vs.-this crap bubble, and I should just stop now.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, kingshearte said:

Bibiana is a bit of a collection of contradictions. On one hand, she's talking about how she needs to spend some time with him, not merely so that he can see how amazing she is and that they're totally meant to be, but also so that she can suss out whether or not she's actually into him. Which is something that not enough of these people ever focus on. Just because someone has been declared the prize for this game doesn't mean they're someone that you specifically would want to be with. This process should be as much about the contestants deciding whether or not they want the lead as about the lead deciding which of the contestants they want.* So she was fully making sense to me at those moments. But then, the next second, she's referring to him as "her man," which is just... no. Certainly not at this stage.

* Yes, I realize that this whole premise only really works if we all buy into the idea that the lead is all that, but that's not how reality works, and great, now I've gotten into a reality-vs.-this crap bubble, and I should just stop now.

Actually, you're not far off. This season so far reminds me of when Maksim Chmerkovskiy (yes, THAT Maks!) was the Bachelor on the Ukrainian version of the show.  One of the things I learned from him was that when the Bachelor sends someone home, it's not always because he doesn't see her as the right woman for him -- sometimes it's because he doesn't see himself as the right man for her. I think that may well end up being the case with a lot of these ladies including Bibiana and even Bekah M., who appears to be the fan favorite at the moment.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

So Week 2 is in the books and Arie's bewildering choices continue.  I'm amazed that some of the original 29 were chosen by the producers in the first place.  There must be thousands of beautiful women across the country that want to be part of the show.  That said, there were about 10 of the 29 that were great choices in Week 1 and Arie should have only been zeroing in on them.  Instead, he rejected four of them last week, and this week he rejected two more:  Jenny and Valerie.  And the guy keeps Bibiana, Brittany and Ashley?  Okaaayyyy ... maybe you should get your eyes examined! His first date of the week with Becca was a great choice, but the second date with Krystal was stunningly misguided.  What's this about going to see the parents on the second week?  The Bachelor isn't supposed to do that until the end .. after he's whittled everybody down to a final 3 or 4.  The whole visit was very awkward, since he barely knew Krystal and she didn't fit into the family vibe whatsoever.  She smiles too much, her upper body looks too much like a linebacker, and she's obviously had some facial enhancements.   She's going to be doubly devastated when Arie lets her go down the road (inevitably he will).  

Edited by mark1952
  • Love 1
On 1/15/2018 at 12:32 PM, kingshearte said:

I believe the producers have told Arie to keep Bibiana around.  No other explanation how she survived two weeks.  She is physically unattractive, unintelligent, and foul mouthed to boot.  A real discredit to the show.