Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: Whitney's Fabulous!

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

An excerpt from Whitney's "memoir," I Do It With The Lights On:

"The summer before college, my mother had confided in me that a year earlier she had attempted suicide by closing the garage door and turning on the car. . . .The realization that I would be home at three-thirty and find her dead, propelled her out of the car. She'd struggled with depression her whole life, and this was the incident that finally spurred her to seek help."

[Yes, I have a copy. Every year our town has a Town Day festival with all kinds of booths and fundraisers and bands, and the library has a big sell-off of books that it no longer has any use for (plus donated books.)  I was rummaging through a pile when I came across this fine piece of literature, and since it was within half an hour of the end of the festival, it was half price. Five cents. I couldn't resist. Don't judge me! :)]

Thanks, Ketzel.  I feel uncomfortable when serious allegations are posted without attribution.  I appreciate your posting this.  (BTW, you paid too much for the book.  LOL.)

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

since it was within half an hour of the end of the festival, it was half price. Five cents.

OMG, I love this! ? (And I might have even sprung for the full price of 10¢ to get my hands on this book just to see how many times she mentions dance career, 100 # wgt loss, PCOS, etc.)

I have thought about getting the book thru inter-lib loan, but I'd be embarrassed for my librarian to see what I am reading. (I'm not about to BUY the book, of course.)

• Love 6

Has Babs ever mentioned her suicide attempt or her depression? I wonder if Whitney had her permission to talk about it in her book or if it’s another personal issue Whitney had to rush in and tell everyone about like Buddy’s rehab. 

• Love 8
23 hours ago, purpledragonqueen said:

I just think the whole lot of them have issues.  The dad walks away when angry rather than dealing with a problem. Emotional Imature sign rather than constructive conflict resolution skills.  The mother tried to kill herself.  I doubt this was delt with as an entire family but rather brushed aside as womens histronics. The parent's still try to control her like a kid so she acts out like a kid. it's the most bizarre thing I have ever seen.  it's saved by the Bell the fat years, even has all the side characters. You have to read between the lines, it's sad.  but the issue is does she want to make positve changes for the better. not yet. people give up. you have to believe you are worth those changes.  heather has issues with it too blaming herself for buddy. hope she gets help.

Yeah, you know, good enough to have all these jobs but as soon as she gets in front of a camera she’s suddenly an immature, emotionally abusive, sexually harassing liar who seems to have more excuses than calories she takes in a day. Here’s a big problem for her, people enabling her immaturity. You can’t tell me she’s so emotionally stunted, so abused she can’t take care of herself on a basic level but somehow managed to move to and live in Korea so she could teach English? She’s a great story teller, her big girls dance club was BS, her no body shame movement was drek at best as she’s just as big of a bully as she claims to hate, and remember when she was so lazy she couldn’t be bothered to snap pics of what she ate for her trainer? Yet again, as pointed out recently, she was “strong enough” to get on a water ski and post the video to attack her “haterz”. 

Maybe, just maybe, her problem is there’s absolutely no repercussions for her misbehavior. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, thebigboot said:

Yet again, as pointed out recently, she was “strong enough” to get on a water ski and post the video to attack her “haterz”. 

I know what you meant, but she was on a jet ski, not a water ski.  Not thinking a boat would be able to move fast enough to haul her out of the water on a water ski.

• Love 5

No chance Whitney will hook up with someone super morbidly obese because she knows that makes intercourse impossible.  She wants only normal sized guys, to service her.

Babs sure spends a considerable amount of time fat shaming her daughter.  The snarky comments that endear her to Whitney's fans without their realizing what is wrong with that picture.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Brooks said:

No chance Whitney will hook up with someone super morbidly obese because she knows that makes intercourse impossible.  She wants only normal sized guys, to service her.

Babs sure spends a considerable amount of time fat shaming her daughter.  The snarky comments that endear her to Whitney's fans without their realizing what is wrong with that picture.

Well, maybe Babs has HAD ENOUGH. Maybe Babs and Glen have repeatedly tried to help Twit with weight loss, only to have it thrown in their faces. So Babs resorts to snark, and Glen walks away rather than exploding.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Has Babs ever mentioned her suicide attempt or her depression? I wonder if Whitney had her permission to talk about it in her book or if it’s another personal issue Whitney had to rush in and tell everyone about like Buddy’s rehab. 

That's exactly what I thought, @3girlsforus. She can't wait to deliver bad news (Piggy's death, Buddy's disinterest in Heather) or tell other people's secrets (Buddy, plus Tal a recovering addict). But woe if you mention something about her she doesn't want known, e.g., her demanding a prod asst be fired when he revealed she smokes.

Edited by Dot
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I have to wonder if the original story was greatly exaggerated or made up whole cloth considering that it's never been mentioned in the show. She lives for drama and sympathy, why not bring it up on her social media or on the show over the years. It would be a great dramatic moment for her depending on how she tells the story. She either is the pitiful child of a mother who was suicidal and not there for her children or the fighter who learned from her mother's rocky past how to get through her own struggles while helping her mother heal. I think her silence on the topic is because she may have been confronted by her family and told that it was too far because it was unfounded. She couldn't retract it out of the books published but she can be kept quiet from any further talk on the topic.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, Dot said:

OMG, I love this! ? (And I might have even sprung for the full price of 10¢ to get my hands on this book just to see how many times she mentions dance career, 100 # wgt loss, PCOS, etc.)

I have thought about getting the book thru inter-lib loan, but I'd be embarrassed for my librarian to see what I am reading. (I'm not about to BUY the book, of course.)

LOL I make my husband use his library card to check out my nonsense books....the librarian gets a kick out of thinking a Marine is reading books “written” by the Real Housewives fools.  When he ask why I can’t just use my own card, I say I don’t want these people knowing I’m reading this trash.  Maybe you have somebody who will take one for the team too :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Is it wrong, I liked Whitney better in the overalls than her usual ensemble? Although I’m not sure why she chose overalls, does she think that’s what people wear camping or in West Virginia?  I also liked her hair in the dinner scene.  I think she looks better with the darker brown color.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 3
On 2/12/2020 at 11:01 PM, Irate Panda said:

Is it wrong, I liked Whitney better in the overalls than her usual ensemble? Although I’m not sure why she chose overalls, does she think that’s what people wear camping or in West Virginia?  I also liked her hair in the dinner scene.  I think she looks better with the darker brown color.

I liked her hair but cringed at the overalls. The overalls had to be a producer thing, but who knows. 

The hair has to be constant work for her; you can see where the extensions are placed. It looks nice but, the upkeep

• Love 3

The hair has to be constant work for her; you can see where the extensions are placed. It looks nice but, the upkeep. 

I had tape in extensions and they are work. I found I didn't have to wash my hair as often but (not surprisingly) when you do wash it, it takes twice as long to dry it. You have to go in every 6-8 weeks to have them re-taped, depending on how fast your hair grows. You really can't do the high ponytails Whitney favors without the tape showing - a low ponytail works but it's not as effective as getting your hair off your neck - and with the extensions, your neck does get hot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I liked her hair but cringed at the overalls. The overalls had to be a producer thing, but who knows. 

The hair has to be constant work for her; you can see where the extensions are placed. It looks nice but, the upkeep

Maybe I was just happy she almost had a whole outfit on.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Snarkastikate said:

Well this is a bizarre thread, but hey I'll join in, what the hell.  Here goes.....I admire Whitney's ability to talk TLC into yet another season.  

Considering there should have been a season 3 (I was going to say 2 but I’m being generous) I agree...she’s milking this for what it’s worth, but kudos to either she’s good at kissing up or ok with embarrassing herself weekly because there’s no real quality entertainment factor there.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, JessicaJones18 said:

In the last episode, Whitney's hair was plastered down when Ryan was trying to tow her in and the top of her head was alarmingly balding.

In that regard, as much as I dislike her, I feel bad for her. Any woman facing hair loss has it rough. Getting her hair wet for that must have been a nightmare. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 7
On 2/14/2020 at 7:05 AM, Elizzikra said:

I had tape in extensions and they are work. I found I didn't have to wash my hair as often but (not surprisingly) when you do wash it, it takes twice as long to dry it. You have to go in every 6-8 weeks to have them re-taped, depending on how fast your hair grows. You really can't do the high ponytails Whitney favors without the tape showing - a low ponytail works but it's not as effective as getting your hair off your neck - and with the extensions, your neck does get hot.

My hair is baby fine and I've gotten thin on the top of my head...  Would extensions help to fill in that portion and give it more volume?.... Or is it just used to fill in on the back and sides?

Can't stand Whitney but I do sympathize with her on this.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

My hair is baby fine and I've gotten thin on the top of my head...  Would extensions help to fill in that portion and give it more volume?.... Or is it just used to fill in on the back and sides?

Maybe - I'd do a consult with a stylist first. I've found that most of them are pretty honest about what they can and cannot do. When I had them, they were mostly on the sides and the back and gave me a lot of extra volume - but they could maybe fill in a little more at the top. You might also do better with a different type of extension besides the tape in ones. There are  a few different kinds.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

My mom and my boss wear what I call a "topper" - it goes on the top of their heads and fastens in with little clips and the stylist colors and cuts it to blend in with the hair they have.  You couldn't swim or sleep in it but it looks nice in every other situation.You can get them at a place that does hair and wigs for cancer patients 🙂 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

My hair is baby fine and I've gotten thin on the top of my head... 

I have the same problem.  I found if I keep it fairly short and layered it isn't quite as noticeable.  It's a really hard thing to go through and I feel for anyone that has to deal with it.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Whitney uses Toppik, you sprinkle on your hair to fill it in, it attaches to your hair fiber.  It’s probably not voluminous but covers your scalp I’d think. Extensions can damage already thin hair especially if it’s baby fine. It looked good on her hair though.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 2
On 4/9/2018 at 1:32 AM, Brooks said:

Babs' snark, which I believe is why she is so popular, invariably is fat-shaming.  But not recognized as fat-shaming by those people who want to worship Whitney.

I’m late to this, I know. But Babs is pretty big herself. The entire family is plus-size. 

• Love 1

Season 3 Whitney is mean girl. Absolutely horrible to watch. She is mean to everyone. And she has ZERO accountability. 

13 hours ago, Me from ME said:

Somewhere along the line Babs weighed one hundred pounds more. She started managing her weight by restricting most meals to canned soup.

Hunter has put on some weight recently as well.

Aha, that makes sense. I do see she is packing it on more from the waist down.

• Love 2

I think the family has had a long history of having disordered relationships with food. Glen has not only focused on Whitney's weight and has bribed her to lose weight in the past but also he would not eat all day and then compensate at night. (Disclosure - I frequently fast and am also a fan of intermittent fasting.) So, if the kids grew up without experiencing, or, being aware of normal nutrition it makes sense that they never learned how to eat appropriately.

Not that knowledge is enough. I have a cousin who has a master's degree in Home Economics and she is Whitney's size. (Her joints have given out and she is almost immobile at this point.)

27 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

Not that knowledge is enough.

Exactly. Despite what My 600 Pound Life wants us to believe, I think many, if not most, of us who are overweight know about portion size, reading labels, and healthy diet. We also knew, long before science confirmed it, that the problem wasn't losing weight, but keeping it off. Now that we understand more about things like the role of hormones like leptin and ghrelin in weight management, we need to get that information out. I think Whitney blaming her inability to maintain weight loss on PCOS is more about not understanding what her body is doing than making excuses.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

This is unpopular opinions, right?  Okay,

I think that while Whitney seems to demonstrate a high resistance to actually losing weight, her obesity is not a moral issue, but a medical one.  Whit can demonstrate some outrageous behavior, like most realty stars 🤣, but she’s actually a personable person with a lot of heart, imo.  I’m impressed she still has a show.  She likely makes more money doing the show than working a regular 40 hr a week job.   A lot of the antics, I don’t buy, but it does give me laughs.  

• Love 2

but she’s actually a personable person with a lot of heart, imo.

An interesting proposition. Is someone who is personable also someone who is selfish, delights in making others uncomfortable, (or, is unaware that she is doing so), and needs to be the center of attention?

I know that I watch the show because I can't quite believe how she acts with her friends, coworkers, animals, as well as in other social situations. Judging by replies to her sm posts as well as other forums the majority of viewers (who are what is keeping the show on the air) are either like me and enjoy noting her hypocrisy and reversals of opinion, and those who relate to her and would like to be her. If they can't be her they can imagine themselves to be close to her by supporting her, defending her, and buying the products that she shills. I would bet money that there are very few people who actually like her and think that she is an inspiration.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Me from ME said:

An interesting proposition. Is someone who is personable also someone who is selfish, delights in making others uncomfortable, (or, is unaware that she is doing so), and needs to be the center of attention?

I know that I watch the show because I can't quite believe how she acts with her friends, coworkers, animals, as well as in other social situations. Judging by replies to her sm posts as well as other forums the majority of viewers (who are what is keeping the show on the air) are either like me and enjoy noting her hypocrisy and reversals of opinion, and those who relate to her and would like to be her. If they can't be her they can imagine themselves to be close to her by supporting her, defending her, and buying the products that she shills. I would bet money that there are very few people who actually like her and think that she is an inspiration.

"I was rooting for Whitney, we all were" (in my best Tyra Banks voice). I did like her year 1. But her lack of growth and self awareness is mind boggling. Part of me must be jealous of Whitney and other "influencers" (hate the word and concept) who are famous for nothing. What an exhausting life though. My unpopular opinion, I hope she loses 200 pounds and finds a nice guy to give Babs and Glen a grandchild. 

And I agree MeFromMe, I don't hate watch, it's more cringe watch. 

• Love 11

Whitney has no ass. It is seriously flat. The entire backside is just her back. She has a FUPA and a FUBA (fat upper booty area). Also; in most episodes threads I see people refer to her being unhygienic, how do you know? Since reading here, I kinda “smell” her when I’m watching 😬🥴 

Season 7 at the pedicure with her mom, you can definitely tell that Babs is a plus-size. A double plus in my country. 

• LOL 2
18 minutes ago, cantfindaname said:

Whitney has no ass. It is seriously flat. The entire backside is just her back. She has a FUPA and a FUBA (fat upper booty area). Also; in most episodes threads I see people refer to her being unhygienic, how do you know? Since reading here, I kinda “smell” her when I’m watching 😬🥴 

Season 7 at the pedicure with her mom, you can definitely tell that Babs is a plus-size. A double plus in my country. 

I think that she has said that she doesn't bathe daily plus there is some question of how she can reach all of her parts to clean...

• Love 1

Well, it appears that Whit is better groomed this season.  She’s wearing a lot more makeup. I’m not sure how I feel about that, but it looks pretty good, though a little heavy.  Her hair is different too.  I suspect it’s not real. It looks good though.  I noticed that most of the ladies on the show are all sporting red hair this season.  I like it.  I wonder if that was planned.  

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, it appears that Whit is better groomed this season.  She’s wearing a lot more makeup. I’m not sure how I feel about that, but it looks pretty good, though a little heavy.  Her hair is different too.  I suspect it’s not real. It looks good though.  I noticed that most of the ladies on the show are all sporting red hair this season.  I like it.  I wonder if that was planned.  

yes everything is phony.

• LOL 3
On 8/18/2021 at 12:54 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I think that Bab’s  back pain is real though.  I know a lady about the same age who has similar pain.  Hers is from spinal stenosis. Apparently, it really is painful.  

Yes and I feel bad for her.  On the other hand - watching Babs go to the chiropractor is not my idea of interesting tv.  Is that an unpopular opinion? 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I have to respect Whit for the care she provides her parents.  Even though her dad may go to the office still, he still needs help in the home.  When your parents  begin with health issues, falls, poor memory, poor judgment, etc.…..it’s daunting.  You feel the need to look after them, even tough they think they don’t need it.  Which is part of the problem.  

• Love 1