Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

• Start Topic

I've lost interest in this show. I guess I'm tired of showers, weddings, baby announcements and gender reveals. Tori drives me up the wall.

Why does Michael always wear those long, frumpy granny dresses? She is such a beautiful girl.

I wonder if she'll ever get pregnant? I suffered from infertility. It was so hard to watch others conceive quickly and have trouble free pregnancies. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, susied2009 said:

I've lost interest in this show. I guess I'm tired of showers, weddings, baby announcements and gender reveals. Tori drives me up the wall.

Why does Michael always wear those long, frumpy granny dresses? She is such a beautiful girl.

I wonder if she'll ever get pregnant? I suffered from infertility. It was so hard to watch others conceive quickly and have trouble free pregnancies. 

Back when she was shopping for her bridal gown, Michael told the saleswoman she wanted something that would make her look skinny, so I wonder if she's self-conscious about her weight. She seems to be the only one clinging to the traditional Fundie uniform of baggy clothes and layers.

3 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

Looks like she's going to be a whole lot of fun to be married to. Good luck Bobby.

They remind me of one of those couples we all know where everyone loves the husband and can't stand the wife. I can't imagine her being married to a pastor. She doesn't have the social skills or patience for that kind of lifestyle.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, flyingdi said:

I agree, whichever child you are, Tori is a party pooper!

You're not interested in showers, arts and crafts, planning weddings or cake?  What on earth are you interested in, Tori?

Sounds like we have the makings of a sanitized Adam Ant song! 

• Love 3

I just watched the episode where the girls went on the beach trip.  Tori is so rude and self-centered.  That scene where they were doing the sand dollar painting activity.  Couldn't believe she sat over on the couch and pouted.  She clearly is not interested in this wedding at all.  Then why have it?  Do they think that they have to have a giant wedding for ratings?  We've seen how many of these weddings with the Bates and Duggars and they are all pretty much the same, 1,000+ people attending in some monster-sized church, blah, blah, blah.  I think it would be interesting if they did a smaller ceremony, maybe outside at their property, something simple but nice.

As already mentioned before that shower was bigger than a lot of weddings.  Showers are supposed to be for women.  I know that some people do a "couples shower" but half the time the guys have to be dragged there.  But no children.  I've never attended a shower, wedding or baby, where the gifts are not opened.  That's part of the fun, seeing all the gifts, oohing and aahing over them.  The games I can do without.

Re the Southern angle.  I'm from California but I love reading Southern Living Magazine, I love to look at the pictures and read about parties and entertaining.  My impression is that ladies in the South do it up right, elegantly and classy.  Nothing like a Bates shower.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I just watched the episode where the girls went on the beach trip.  Tori is so rude and self-centered.  That scene where they were doing the sand dollar painting activity.  Couldn't believe she sat over on the couch and pouted.  She clearly is not interested in this wedding at all.  Then why have it?  Do they think that they have to have a giant wedding for ratings?  We've seen how many of these weddings with the Bates and Duggars and they are all pretty much the same, 1,000+ people attending in some monster-sized church, blah, blah, blah.  I think it would be interesting if they did a smaller ceremony, maybe outside at their property, something simple but nice.

That's what I really want to know. Why have it when she clearly doesn't want it. All the weddings are exactly the same why? Its one thing if its actually what the bride wants (and can afford) but if not then why do they have to go through with it. Ratings? It can be just as moving to see a couple in love going to the courthouse. Or getting married at the cliff they got engaged at or whatever it is Tori really wants. With the Bates its even less needed because Carlin clearly is going to want the big wedding and all that stuff. She'll want the showers and attention and love it. She'll probably be a bridezilla. So why not save all of it for her? Why not have Bobby and Tori have the wedding they want whatever that is?         

• Love 2
20 hours ago, debbie311 said:

As already mentioned before that shower was bigger than a lot of weddings.  Showers are supposed to be for women.  I know that some people do a "couples shower" but half the time the guys have to be dragged there.  But no children.  

I don't get the massive, co-ed shower deal either. Most women in my circles look at these types of events as a rare opportunity to have a kid-free couple of hours where they can socialize and have a nice lunch. My husband wouldn't be dragged to a baby or bridal shower if you promised him Super Bowl tickets.

• Love 4

Tori grates, but I would have been that person alone on the couch too so I can't criticize her for that. I'd rather go take my chances with the jellyfish than sit and paint sand dollars. It's really annoying to be that person and have everyone act like you're the world's biggest asshole, and nag you to death about it, just because you'd rather sit out an activity you don't enjoy in the least. I didn't think she behaved that badly in that scene. She seemed happy to go sit on the couch. In all other instances she's been an asshole though! 

Those boys acting like an escape room and flag football was going to equal a wild night that would make Bobby wish for the safety of marriage was amusing. To each their own, do whatever you want, but dear lord. You're not clever and original and wild, Nathan. Though at least we were spared the Duggar crap of "everyone else on the planet isn't as righteous as we are" that comes up for every party and wedding. 

• Love 1

Nathan seems incredibly immature. I'm not surprised New Yorker Ashley didn't stick around long. Class clown personality types wear thin pretty quickly. 

Tori is just such a grump. She hates wedding planning. She hates showers. She hates jellyfish. She hates painting. What the hell DO you like, Tori? Sheesh.

FWIW, Erin was right in the candles vs. sand debate. I thought Alyssa telling Tori to just stick a star on top of a tree and be done with it was funny. 

Kelly telling Alyssa and Erin to give Tori marriage advice while forgetting to include Michael who was sitting right by her. Ummm....

Jud asking Bobby if he could be "one of the boys" melted my heart. He and Jeb are the absolute cutest.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

Only caught the last part of last week. I found Nathan annoying too and I wonder what his deal is. My impression is that when he’s around his family and people who he’s grown up with who are just like him (I.e. all the fundy guys at his birthday), he acts relatively reasonable and normal. When he’s around ANY outsider he starts putting on his hillbilly cowboy act.

It’s not like Bobby and Kelton are Prince William and Harry but I do think both of them were raised slightly higher class than the Bates and are marrying down. And so in front of them he goes on and on in a VERY obvious southern accent regarding the wild times to be had in an escape room so Bobby gets one last hurrah before settling down with HIS sister. He did the same thing with Ashley - acted like a hillbilly. He showed up to Rockefeller Center in a loud plaid shirt complete with boots and a huge cowboy hat and yet at home we’ve never seen the boys in cowboy hats and often Nathan does THs in a plain button down and jeans like any normal guy his age. And then he went on and on about how you go to Ashley’s house and there’s a door and another door and another. Um yeah they’re called apartments, they have them everywhere including BFE Tenn bc Bobby is living in one . . . . I kind of wonder if it’s an insecurity thing. These kids were exposed to so little growing up and now likely feel uncomfortable around anyone who isn’t like them and Nathan compensates by acting like a country bumpkin “aw shucks we don’t have them apartments back home . . . .” Ashley had to be embarrassed by it at some level. Honestly Nathan will probably do better with a girl he finds at a fundie convention who was raised similar to him.

• Love 10

cereality, I agree 100%. I noticed Nathan also kept making digs about Kelton being a plumber, which was absurd because plumbing is a skilled trade and they make great money. Usually when a guy engages in a dick-measuring contest, that's a sure sign of an inferiority complex.

• Love 12

Just watched the episode where they went to grandparent's house for Thanksgiving.  I had to laugh when grandma (Mama something or other) brought out a box of brownie mix for the kids to make brownies.  They would have needed quite a few boxes to feed that crowd.  But the thing that got me was the little one at the end licking the batter spatula.  Ugh, hello, raw eggs.  Big no-no.  Can they possibly not know that you shouldn't eat raw batter, especially a toddler.  You can really get sick from eating raw eggs, as in salmonella. Yikes.

Jane did mention the raw eggs. I did not think it was that big of a deal. My brothers and I licked the spatula when my mom baked brownies/cookies/cake when we were little. Hell, I still lick the spatula when I bake. 

I thought Bradley hammering was cute. 

I thought Judson following Kelton and Evan to see what they were talking about was amusing. I am the youngest in my family. I am very sure that I annoyed my older brothers by following them around and being generally annoying when I was a kid.

As far as fundie guys go, I kind of like Kelton.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Just watched the episode where they went to grandparent's house for Thanksgiving.  I had to laugh when grandma (Mama something or other) brought out a box of brownie mix for the kids to make brownies.  They would have needed quite a few boxes to feed that crowd. 

I like the togetherness of doing thanksgiving at the grands house, but I do see the stress in Momma Jane more than the anticipation-joy of them coming. Yes, she loves her grands and her great-grands, but loving them in the house 3-4 days,  I'm sure drive her nuts. "Glad to see them come, overjoyed to see them go".  A couple of holidays back , she mentioned about the messes they make in the house. 

Gil, his brother, sister, and Kelley need to take the stress off of her. I agree -Jane shouldn't have to do the shopping (and hopefully not paying) for upwards 45 people, lugging it home, putting the stuff away in the fridge/cabinet , chopping veggies, and let alone lifting & basting big birds. She has done her time. I know Alyssa pops in a few days early but now she has two toddlers.

What some families have done for medical reasons and/or some Grand's have said - "I'm retired" .Let the 40/50 yr old generation take over the cooking. Or what is very common is every family  bring a dish or two. I would be ashamed and embarrassed to show up with my hubby, and kids with only my appetite. If you can't make a dish that travels, bring/buy your food product, and  get in the kitchen and cook. 

comparing to another large TLC family - the Valestros - each married sibling did a part of the cooking - each sister had a specialty, so did Lisa (Buddy's wife), and Buddy did the Turkey, They had food for days spread all over the house. 

Years ago, Gil should have built  a "house/cottage" for just his family on the family land. Too bad they are too far from a hotel/motel.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I completely agree, sATL. Back when my grandparents still hosted, all the adult kids brought appetizers, side dishes and desserts to help take the load off. As they aged, my mother and her siblings took over hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners.

It's absolutely ridiculous at this point for the Bateseses to be wreaking havoc on Jane's home. They've got plenty of money now. Why not rent an Air BnB or stay at a hotel? Or if its too far have the younger kids stay at Gil's sister's? That way they could spend time at Jane's but not invade her space and put her in a position where she's entertaining 24/7.

I remember the last time they went there and it seemed like Alyssa was the only helping out while everyone else just goofed around. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Jane did mention the raw eggs. I did not think it was that big of a deal. My brothers and I licked the spatula when my mom baked brownies/cookies/cake when we were little. Hell, I still lick the spatula when I bake. 

I thought Bradley hammering was cute. 

I thought Judson following Kelton and Evan to see what they were talking about was amusing. I am the youngest in my family. I am very sure that I annoyed my older brothers by following them around and being generally annoying when I was a kid.

As far as fundie guys go, I kind of like Kelton.

I know someone who got very sick from eating raw cookie dough.  I just won't take the chance.  As Maya Angelou said, "When you know better, you do better."

• Love 2

I agree why can't others help with or do Thanksgiving? They could still go to Bill and Jane's for Thanksgiving but prepare the meal themselves or divide it among the family. Gil's brother and sister, Kelly, their kids and the cousins? If they each took one dish they'd have an entire meal ready to go. Even if Jane makes the best turkey in the world (maybe she does my grandmothers were awesome cooks) then why can't others help her? Do the lifting for her. Helping her or fix it while she tells them how to do it.  

I wonder if Alyssa is fighting an internal battle between what she wants and what she was taught was right.  If so, I hope she spills it all to Mama Jane and then listens to what that practical woman has to say. 

• Love 11

I think Jane needs to sit Alyssa down and explain how biology works. If she married at 19, that gives her a good what, twenty years to reproduce, assuming she stays healthy? She's already three deep at 23. Even if she tries to space her pregnancies out, she could easily end up with ten kids before it's all said and done. 

• Love 2

Gil and Kelly are grifters plain and simple. They taken advantage where they at allowed to take advantage. When Mama Jane and Papa Bill quietly seem stressed or tired or make "minor" comments like -- glad to see them come but also glad to see them go (which Mama Jane said after one of the get togethers  - maybe Bill's birthday - and you know Gil and Kelly saw it bc it was on freaking TV) -- it's easy to "ignore" those comments as, nah mom doesn't mean that, she just gets stressed and dramatic. At the end of the day they know they can come and park themselves all over Jane/Bill's house (they've got to be sleeping wall to wall, no? Doesn't seem like THAT big of a home) and Bill/Jane won't directly say "next time, make other plans."

OTOH -- enter Alyssa. They tip toe around her now. They rent a house/AirbNb near her home and NEVER stay in her home. She has CLEARLY said only mom and dad can come after a birth and then 2-3 siblings can come a month or two later, and many months later everyone can come. And guess what -- only Gil/Kelly show up AFTER births and stay for like 1-2 days max with Gil running around the whole time getting food, mowing John's yard and doing anything he can to be helpful; and the entire horde of 19 doesn't land for months after -- often not until that child's first birthday party. And then last time when the entire horde went to 1 of the first birthdays and was pissing Alyssa off as the older ones "helped" her prepare food for the party with the game of -- put a grape/strawberry on the platter, eat a grape/strawberry -- as if they had never seen freaking fruit before and as if they don't understand that you don't start eating food for guests while prepping it bc it's unclean and you'll run out -- and Alyssa was getting visibly pissed, Gil ran around running interference saying "ok -- everyone we're going to the park/running errands/whatever" to get them out of Alyssa's space. Reality is Gil/Kelly realize Alyssa means business and would have NO problem limiting their access even further so that they weren't welcome at any AirBnB near her home more than 1x/yr and when they made that visit, Alyssa would only invite them over for 2 hrs one day and be done with it. They know not to push the limits with her too much if they want to see those grandkids, ever.

Interesting that Mama Jane directly pointed out that Alyssa is on the same track as her parents with 1 kid/year. Even more interesting that Alyssa -- like most fundies everywhere -- views boys as more "coveted" than girls. It was a bit "direct" of her to say that if it's another girl, they will try for a boy but if #4 is a girl too, they're done. She seemed a bit rude in her - yeah yeah I have enough girls, I want boys . . . . And she's BS-ing, she's a decisive kind of person who has said 6 kids until day 1. She ain't stopping until there are 6 even 6 girls. Though maybe Mama Jane could explain to her that you're 23-24, feel free to slow it down.

• Love 4

The whole hoarde of them were down in FL last weekend for Allie Jane's 3rd birthday party. Pics were everywhere. So, Alyssa was only able to hold out for a couple of weeks this time. 

11 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

The whole hoarde of them were down in FL last weekend for Allie Jane's 3rd birthday party. Pics were everywhere. So, Alyssa was only able to hold out for a couple of weeks this time. 

Alyssa seems to do big birthday parties with the family -- so I imagine they were invited to attend and didn't just show up to see the baby. I'd be shocked if they were staying at the house. I imagine they were at a rental and showed up for the party.

Oh, of course they stayed somewhere else, but the point remains that the entire family, minus some marrieds, descended upon the Websters when the baby was two weeks old. Yes, there was a party, but there are pics of various and sundried Bateses holding Zoey. It was essentially a two-fer for the Bateses. 

1 hour ago, cereality said:

Gil and Kelly are grifters plain and simple. They taken advantage where they at allowed to take advantage. When Mama Jane and Papa Bill quietly seem stressed or tired or make "minor" comments like -- glad to see them come but also glad to see them go (which Mama Jane said after one of the get togethers  - maybe Bill's birthday - and you know Gil and Kelly saw it bc it was on freaking TV) -- it's easy to "ignore" those comments as, nah mom doesn't mean that, she just gets stressed and dramatic. At the end of the day they know they can come and park themselves all over Jane/Bill's house (they've got to be sleeping wall to wall, no? Doesn't seem like THAT big of a home) and Bill/Jane won't directly say "next time, make other plans."

OTOH -- enter Alyssa. They tip toe around her now. They rent a house/AirbNb near her home and NEVER stay in her home. She has CLEARLY said only mom and dad can come after a birth and then 2-3 siblings can come a month or two later, and many months later everyone can come. And guess what -- only Gil/Kelly show up AFTER births and stay for like 1-2 days max with Gil running around the whole time getting food, mowing John's yard and doing anything he can to be helpful; and the entire horde of 19 doesn't land for months after -- often not until that child's first birthday party. And then last time when the entire horde went to 1 of the first birthdays and was pissing Alyssa off as the older ones "helped" her prepare food for the party with the game of -- put a grape/strawberry on the platter, eat a grape/strawberry -- as if they had never seen freaking fruit before and as if they don't understand that you don't start eating food for guests while prepping it bc it's unclean and you'll run out -- and Alyssa was getting visibly pissed, Gil ran around running interference saying "ok -- everyone we're going to the park/running errands/whatever" to get them out of Alyssa's space. Reality is Gil/Kelly realize Alyssa means business and would have NO problem limiting their access even further so that they weren't welcome at any AirBnB near her home more than 1x/yr and when they made that visit, Alyssa would only invite them over for 2 hrs one day and be done with it. They know not to push the limits with her too much if they want to see those grandkids, ever.

Interesting that Mama Jane directly pointed out that Alyssa is on the same track as her parents with 1 kid/year. Even more interesting that Alyssa -- like most fundies everywhere -- views boys as more "coveted" than girls. It was a bit "direct" of her to say that if it's another girl, they will try for a boy but if #4 is a girl too, they're done. She seemed a bit rude in her - yeah yeah I have enough girls, I want boys . . . . And she's BS-ing, she's a decisive kind of person who has said 6 kids until day 1. She ain't stopping until there are 6 even 6 girls. Though maybe Mama Jane could explain to her that you're 23-24, feel free to slow it down.

Alyssa is in it for the TLC paycheck just like the others.  She puts up with them the best she can but in the end it's all about the $$$.

Michael has my attention.  She seems so sad.  I pray she gets a little baby soon!

• Love 3

I am going to give Alyssa the benefit of the doubt when she was saying she would stop if her first four were girls. I didn’t take it to mean boys are coveted. I took it to mean she knew what it was like to have a houseful of girls and what comes with it, i.e. fighting amongst themselves about clothes, space, chores, etc. I can only imagine the type of fights going on growing up with Tori and Carlin being loud and maybe Michael running the house with a iron grip.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Alyssa and Michael seem so much more serious than the rest of their family, including Gil and Kelly.  Makes me wonder how much responsibility they were saddled with.

It's funny because I read a comment once where someone who claimed to know the Bates family said Alyssa wasn't very smart, which is odd, because she doesn't strike me as dumb or clueless at all. If anything I think she, Michael and Josie are probably the most level-headed and pragmatic out of all the siblings. If she gives recommendations or advice it's usually spot-on and Kelly seems deathly afraid of her, so I don't where that person was coming from.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think Jane needs to sit Alyssa down and explain how biology works. If she married at 19, that gives her a good what, twenty years to reproduce, assuming she stays healthy? She's already three deep at 23. Even if she tries to space her pregnancies out, she could easily end up with ten kids before it's all said and done. 

I'm glad Jane talked with Alyssa. I think they need to hear a different voice on the subject. I suspect more was said off camera - anytime I hear "19 kids/children" it is more for the camera than causal conversation. I hope Jane has a talk with each of the married girls.

I wonder if Jane wished she said more or felt comfortable in saying more to Gil.  She is from a different era, so understandably when Gil/Kelly got to a certain number, she might have thought her place was to keep quiet. Now as a grand, she can talk and voice her opinion all she wants. And they've said many times, Alyssa is most like and admires Jane. 

I was on the edge of my seat waiting to hear if they would get into a birth control discussion. I sure would like to know what form they see permissible within a marriage - other than menopause.

Also Alyssa - more so than Erin and Micheala is around young wives/mothers who may not be part of their faith - like the ladies she cleans with and/or the other moms in their subdivision - or as devoted to the faith as adults as the Bates are.  I'm sure there has been plenty of girl talk about pregnancies . I'm sure one of them has said -  So how many? Is this the last one? Going to keep trying for that boy?

Does anybody know if John Websters siblings had a baby every year ?

I can see to Poppa Bill having a father & son talk though years back - mainly from a provider prospective. And that is another point - we see on TV the joys and fun times of having a large families. There are draw backs too. 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4

Oh , dear...the Bates family went to Sea World recently??? They were 3 traffic lights away from where I live. I thought I felt a 'rumble' in the Earth around that time!

I agree that Kelly and Gil are grifters at heart. I also don't think it's right for them to give Gil's mother all that work for Thanksgiving without doing a lot of it themselves to help her out. Why don't they EVER seem to visit Kelly's mother? We already know that neither of their mothers are fundie like them, so why didn't Kelly visit her mother with her new husband for Thanksgiving...or better yet, invite both sets of parents to THEIR house for Thanksgiving? Has Kellie ever roasted a turkey herself? 

Alyssa's words don't match her actions either. She had 3 children in 3 years. All girls. She says she doesn't want a house full of children like her mother, SO....what does that mean? Are she and her husband going to use some type of reliable birth control? She is still a very young woman and had A LOT of child bearing decades ahead of her.

I also find it would be difficult for her to continue the cleaning business at night; not with 3 children at home. John can only handle so many himself after a full day's work. Her desire for a quite, clean, organized home will not be easy if they continue to have babies every year. It's probable that they will try 'for that boy' after this one, but I hope after that, they call it quits and have a nice, normal family and send their children to a real Christian school with other children their own age to develop friendships with.

• Love 2

UP Channel seems to treat the Bates very well.  If I recall, Gil has retired from the tree cutting business. The girls have nice clothes to wear, college is an option, and they get nice vacations and rental houses.  It really doesn't match their ratings which are not that great.  And didn't one of the girls show up on People Magazine recently?  I'm thinking some rich fundie is subsidizing this program (or the whole channel) and hoping it becomes a hit.  They certainly look much better on TV than the dreary (and scandal ridden) Duggars.

• Love 2

I imagine Alyssa and Michael were pretty serious growing up and also pretty pragmatic. I bet 12 yr old Alyssa was thinking (without telling anyone) -- hmm -- I'm going to be married in 6 years, my husband will expect me to know how to cook and keep a nice home, I better start learning. So of course she then tells Kelly she wants to start cooking and grifter Kelly heard "I want to cook 3 meals a day every day for 20 people until my prince charming shows up." Bc why just use a child's help or maybe assign her 2 dinners a week, when you can push the whole thing off on her. Bet the same thing happened with Michael and laundry.

Are Michael and Alyssa close? I can't tell with Alyssa bc whenever we see her she seems so disinterested in her siblings, but I wonder if they are close bc Alyssa called Michael to tell her about her pregnancy so as not to shock her publicly etc. I wonder if they bonded over the years of running the household together.

And while I like them better than some others, they are still fundie thru and thru. Of course Lawson and Nathan can come and go as they please, while the girls -- mom needs to think about who'll take over their household chores. Though it isn't my impression that it's as much of a problem now-- Tori and Carlin seem self involved -- did they even do much around the house? I don't think they ran the home the way Michael and Alyssa did.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Oh , dear...the Bates family went to Sea World recently??? They were 3 traffic lights away from where I live. 

Off topic for a sec, but have you seen The Florida Project?  One of my favorite movies I've seen in the past couple of years.

Ok...hmmmm...on topic: I've got nothing ?. Actually, I'm tired of all my shows turning into home improvement shows. If I wanted that I'd just watch HGTV.

• Love 1
On 4/14/2018 at 7:25 PM, cereality said:

I’m glad she set boundaries with them early on. I’m sure it was hard for Gil and Kelly initially but this is Alyssa’s life. We don’t know what goes on in her mind, if she feels conflicted or guilty or whatever about any of it, but she is outwardly very verbal and clear about her boundaries. It’s a little surprising to me because in their beliefs, they have been raised with the idea that women go along with what their husbands say and want and don’t always have a strong voice....but then again it’s probably also what her husband wants.

16 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Off topic for a sec, but have you seen The Florida Project?  One of my favorite movies I've seen in the past couple of years.

Ok...hmmmm...on topic: I've got nothing ?. Actually, I'm tired of all my shows turning into home improvement shows. If I wanted that I'd just watch HGTV.

Amazing movie. So sad but well done.

On 4/14/2018 at 8:27 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Oh, of course they stayed somewhere else, but the point remains that the entire family, minus some marrieds, descended upon the Websters when the baby was two weeks old. Yes, there was a party, but there are pics of various and sundried Bateses holding Zoey. It was essentially a two-fer for the Bateses. 

Hectic but killing two birds with one stone was probably intentional.

• Love 1

The timing couldn't have been better, with Allie's birthday spaced a couple weeks out from her due date, and Alyssa has consistently delivered right on or just a couple days out from her due dates. Had Alyssa given birth even a week later or, heaven forbid, was still pregnant two weeks later, I don't think that there would have been a family birthday party for Allie. UP already paid the Websters to film Allie's first birthday. No need to film another. 

Then again, this is the umteenth visit to Mama Jane and Papa Bill's. We know that plot by heart by now. It's as repetitive as the Duggar plots of courtships, weddings, and babies. 

• Love 2

I definitely question every time Kelly says a kid volunteered to be the family cook, teacher, potty train, etc.  I'd really love to know how exactly that went down. What sort of convincing, guilt or manipulation did she use for that kid to "volunteer"? Did they not volunteer at all and Kelly just assigned it to them? Which would be my guess. I suppose they could have realized her parents were never going to do any of the cooking themselves and just took the job.  But I'm not completely sold on that. Especially when Kelly talked about how the middle girls "volunteered" to take over duties in the house. Wow, how completely amazing that so far every daughter Kelly has had has volunteered to cook, teach, or potty training their siblings! Now that's a miracle! Not one says 'No Mom your on your own I'm going to the mall' because of course girls in their world are totally allowed to not want to do those things if they don't want too right? How nice that since getting married their have been no shortage of siblings going to Zach's, Erin's, Michael's and Alyssa's I'm sure they "volunteered" too on that.

I ask this question almost every episode of the Bates show what does Kelly do? She didn't help with Thanksgiving dinner, she didn't know how to fix Callie's skirt, Michael made the lasagna in bachelorette episode, she didn't set up anything for Tori's wedding shower (but did remember to put herself front and center once it began), what does she do?              

• Love 3
On 4/14/2018 at 5:50 PM, BitterApple said:

She has the internet...she could google it if she really doesn't know! 

On 4/14/2018 at 7:25 PM, cereality said:

I actually didn't get that with Alyssa---she followed up with a comment about not wanting to deal with the drama. I have 2 daughters and a rare genetic problem that makes carrying a male child to term a challenge. If we got pregnant again and didn't miscarriage, we've lost 5 and had 2 live births, the chances are almost guaranteed that I'd have another daughter---I don't want another daughter so I had my husband get a vasectomy. That isn't to say I don't love my girls---I do and I wanted girls, but I grew up in a house with a lot of girls and I didn't want that. If I were Alyssa, I'd stop at 3 girls and not even get to 4. I see her going to 5/6 and stopping. 

• Love 2

The Bates family might not make as much money per episode as the Duggars do, but I think they live more frugally than the Duggars. I don't see Gil having umpteen vehicles, airplanes OR a lot of heavy construction equipment. I think they require less money to live well because they have less overhead than the Duggars.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

The Bates family might not make as much money per episode as the Duggars do, but I think they live more frugally than the Duggars. I don't see Gil having umpteen vehicles, airplanes OR a lot of heavy construction equipment. I think they require less money to live well because they have less overhead than the Duggars.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Not only do they have less overhead, but Gil isn't subsidizing his married kids with money, jobs and free houses. If Nathan is running the tree business, that's probably a much more lucrative endeavor than the Duggar boys selling junk cars out of a dirt lot. Carlin and Josie will probably be married within a year and Lawson comes and goes as he pleases, so the number of mouths to feed is rapidly dwindling. I can see how the Bateses can do more on less.

• Love 5

I just finished tonight's episode and man, that concert was painful. Lawson's a nice guy and I know he's passionate about music, but he is absolutely tone deaf. Everyone in the audience looked like they were suffering through a bad high school talent show. I wonder how much longer he's gonna push this thing before he realizes he has no future as a singer. 

Renee gets on my last nerve. She's so over the top and phony. I know opinions were split on Tori's dress over on the Duggar board, but personally I loved it. 

Bobby's boss at the metal shop is a dead ringer for that principal from Ferris Buellar. 

I rolled my eyes when Erin said she was done after three kids. Not unless you get on birth control, love. Carson's adorable. 

The tree project seemed like it was way more headache and hassle than it was worth. I've been to countless weddings and I can't remember a single decoration from any of them. I would've scrapped the idea and gone with something easier.

• Love 6

Lawson is just not a great singer. If he wants to be in the music business maybe he should go towards learning the production side of it or becoming a better songwriter.

I liked Tori's dress. She actually seemed somewhat excited about the wedding dress in the latest episode. Jessa Duggar had my favorite wedding dress among the fundie girls. Tori's looked very her and I thought it looked nice on her as well. I do not love or hate the bridesmaid dresses. They look better than some of the Duggar bridesmaid dresses. Though that is a pretty low bar to pass.

• Love 3

Well it's official, sooner or later all the Bates kids are going to annoy me!  Usually it's Tori or Carlin, last night it was Nathan and Lawson fighting for camera time!

Nathan, just shut up!  Nobody, including your dad cares how you think hair should be worn.

Lawson, the real world is calling.  Answer the damn phone!

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

Well it's official, sooner or later all the Bates kids are going to annoy me!  Usually it's Tori or Carlin, last night it was Nathan and Lawson fighting for camera time!

Nathan, just shut up!  Nobody, including your dad cares how you think hair should be worn.

Lawson, the real world is calling.  Answer the damn phone!

I was getting angry and honestly really creeped out by Nathan going on and on about Tori's hair and how angry he was about her daring to wear her hair up. "Your going to regret it for the rest of your life'. I mean, what? Its hair. Its not even his hair.  

• Love 13

Nathan doesn't have enough perspective when it comes to weddings. Decades later, at least half of couples regret what they wore at their wedding. There are entire decades (I'm looking at you 70's) where people regret their wedding day apparel. Nathan needs to stifle himself, it's not his wedding and it's frankly none of his business.

Edited by TeamNoOne
spelling
  • Love 9

What color would you call the inner layer of her dress? I don't like it but I like everything else about it. A light pink would be really pretty.

Nathan said 'up hair' at one point and it made me giggle. I didn't have a problem with him offering hair advice. And Carlin did an amazing job. I loved Tori's hair. 

• Love 2