Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

• Start Topic

IDK what it is but something about the Erin and Chad marriage seems very "polite" and formal, as if they are just getting to know each other in month 2 of dating, rather than married for 4 years. I don't get that sense at all from Zach and Whit; Brandon and Michael; or Alyssa and John. I feel like in all of those marriages -- while they differ -- the couples are truly on the same team and talk to each other about everything. I feel like in those cases, if the husband was getting overwhelmed or even just annoyed by -- work; having to film made up projects for tv; actual projects around his own house/launching a side business; plus a never ending request list from his inlaws -- I suspect he would tell his wife, and then the wife would handle it. Understandably some couples have clearly agreed to be featured on UPTv bc I'm sure the supplemental income isn't bad given that they are just starting out, quickly expanding their families etc. But even so, the wife can handle filming by setting up a project that she does will the little kids at her parents'  house or while the husband is at work or the filming involves the wife going someplace with her sisters/little kids etc. And she can put the word out there that Chad has been busy at work and home and thus while he'd love to help, they need some "family" time together so no -- he cannot finish your son's nursery or build your crib or playground or shed or whatever. I don't think it's any coincidence that ALL filming we've seen in Chicago involves Michael + visiting siblings and then at the end of the day, Brandon comes home and appears on camera for 2 min saying his hellos and then Kelly takes them out to dinner -- which isn't filmed. Clearly Brandon wants it that way and has talked to Michael about it.

Yet with Prince Chad -- he can't possibly tell Erin how he's feeling. He may be hoping that she just notices that he's tired and is aging before her eyes (eye wrinkles anyone??). Yet she is too self involved to notice or notices and then asks and he says "no no its fine" and she shrugs and says "he said he's fine."

• Love 2
12 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Lawson seems to be really short..not much more than 5 feet? Maybe he has trouble finding girls shorter than he is?

Don't think this is accurate. On IG he posts plenty of pictures with Josie, Carlin and Tori and in each of them he is 3-4 inches taller than all of them. None of them are super petite, If they are even 5-2 or 5-3 -- that makes him 5-6ish at minimum. Sure he isn't super tall, but he isn't so short that he'd have trouble finding a woman for that reason. Hell he could date someone with he same built as his sisters.

13 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Lawson seems to be really short..not much more than 5 feet? Maybe he has trouble finding girls shorter than he is?

Isn't Kelly taller than Gil?  If so, it may not matter to Lawson how tall the girl is.

Too bad hobby lobby doesn't have stock listed on the exchange. Between the Bates and Duggar home decorating habits there is a fortune to be made. I understand making your house a home but pump the brakes a little unless your the owner. Which maybe Micheal & Brandon are homeowners - houses don't come too cheap now matter the condition in Chicago suburbs. The taxes alone can shock a person.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, sATL said:

Too bad hobby lobby doesn't have stock listed on the exchange. Between the Bates and Duggar home decorating habits there is a fortune to be made. I understand making your house a home but pump the brakes a little unless your the owner. Which maybe Micheal & Brandon are homeowners - houses don't come too cheap now matter the condition in Chicago suburbs. The taxes alone can shock a person.

I couldn't quite figure out if they owned this home or are renting with very lenient landlords.  They never said they purchased a house and there were other statements that made it seem more like a rental and Erin said they "found a house where they could paint the walls" but then Erin talked about taking down the wood trim in the kitchen and I don't think a landlord would be totally cool with that, even if it was one piece that is pretty dated. 

• Love 2

Annoying episode.  They came across like total hillbillies in tonight’s episode.  I mean they oooh and aahhed over Bobby’s freaking camper the way that I have oohed and aahhed over luxury hotel suites in Manhattan. 

And Tori sweetheart – if you capable of buying poster board but not bringing the markers to make Bobby welcome posters as if he’s 11; if you don’t know what to write on said posters; if Erin comes up with what to write and writes it and you don’t even want to color in the writing; and then you have to ask Chad where in the 6 ft by 11 ft camper you should put the posters – maybe traditionally fundie girlfriend decorating is not for you.  It’s ok, just accept it.  Of course this is fundie land where no girl can be an individual, so it does not matter whether you have to call in Whitney, Erin and Josey to help, you damn well will make the camper cute for your man.

She is so desperate for him – in that rip off his pants – way, it’s gross.  (And maybe it’s not physical but it’s desperate to be telling every person who walks in that you cannot wait for him to propose and then asking him for the ring the moment her arrives.) She acts like she’s landed Prince Harry, when she’s landed a jobless starting to get pudgy fundie man.  I mean she was FREAKING out because [gasp] the sink leaked – and God forbid Prince Bobby deal with a leak, Kelton had to fix it ASAP and it better not take all day . . . .

His poor parents.  They come from money – as we saw from their nice home in a gated community backing up to a lake.  You could tell they were underwhelmed with the idea of dropping for their college graduate son in a camper in bumblefuck Tenn so he can work at a scrap metal yard and court his hillbilly girlfriend and her family . . . . His mom alluded to the fact that this is the right thing for now . . . I hope they are convincing themselves though that this isn’t for now and like Chad, his gf and her family will have him by the b@ll$ for life. They were also underwhelmed by the tour of the Bates dirty house.  Why give guests a tour of your bedrooms esp since you know you’re the types throwing your underwear on the floor? They live in an impeccable home, they already looked a bit overwhelmed from the move, the drive etc. – Nathan said when they visited FL that you have to be sooooo careful in their house bc you constantly feel like you’ll ruin something – as they chased one of the younger kids off their flower beds – the Bates home isn’t the kind you allow people like that to tour.

Oh and if I were Chad, I’d be praying for Kelton to pop the question.  The whole family went on about how handy he is. Josie said – he’s just like Chad, he can build and fix anything and Law says – he has a skill no one does, who doesn’t need a plumber?? Welcome to your life of servicing your inlaws Kelton, at least Chad can share the load now.  But since Chad announced that he likes to see young men make a sacrifice (i.e. Bobby moved to Tenn like he did) – I guess he’ll like to see Kelton making a sacrifice to prove his worth to the Bates by redoing the plumbing in the entire house . . . .

• Love 6

Michael's relationship with Kelly is super sweet. Same with Erin and Kelly. Actually all three of them together was very cute. I like them all more than I did after this episode.  

I can't tell any of the future son-in-laws (sons in law??) apart. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1

When you live in a trailer like that parked in the middle of a field miles from civilization or any paved road and you come home after dark say from your girlfriends house - how do you make it from your car thru the front door in pitch black? There are obviously no street lights; you would’ve turned off your car lights upon turning off the engine; and given how remote it is - no ambient light. Does the girlfriend have to gift you a - welcome to Tenn - latern that you carry with you at all times?

After tonight's show, I wouldn't be surprised if Josie gets married before Carlin. Kelton is going to be the golden son-in-law (or co-golden one with Chad).  Gil loves that kid and Kelton seems really competent.  It's too bad half of Kelton's time will be taken up by Bates projects.

Bobby's parents looked happier to see Kelton than they did Tori!  I don't know if they would have left Bobby with the Bates family if Kelton wasn't in the area.

I had a mixed reaction to the house tour. On one hand, the Tori, Gil, and Kelly should at least try to impress their guests/future in-laws the first time they visit the house. On the other, they were honest and showed their truth. I don't think Tori has shame and don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing.

• Love 4

Lmfao, I bet Chad will pay for the wedding if it means Kelton can slide in faster and replace him as Gil's 24 Hour Handyman.

Regarding Bobby, he sounds a lot like my nephew and his friends. They're early 20s, grew up in well to do families and they're all just sort of floating through life. There's no drive or pressure to get a real career going and they're content with just getting by, despite having every advantage to become successful. I don't get it, but it seems to be pretty prevalent with that age group these days.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, cereality said:

When you live in a trailer like that parked in the middle of a field miles from civilization or any paved road and you come home after dark say from your girlfriends house - how do you make it from your car thru the front door in pitch black? There are obviously no street lights; you would’ve turned off your car lights upon turning off the engine; and given how remote it is - no ambient light. Does the girlfriend have to gift you a - welcome to Tenn - latern that you carry with you at all times?

And maybe one of weather radio devices ...TN can get those deadly t-storms where shelter in a trailer is not advisable. I guess he gets wifi from the owners of the trailer. The eastern TN mtns does get a little chilly in the winter.

Umm. Toilet usage ?. Does Bobby have to empty some kind of "catching device " ?

Edited by sATL

I don't see anything wrong with giving a tour of a dirty house.  I mean that's how most people live and it drives me crazy that everyone has the expectation that their house has to be spotless when company arrives.  As long it's not a total pit like a hoaders house, I think it was just fine. 

Pretty sure Bobby will only be using that camper to sleep. I doubt he'll be making any meals there. They just got married a few weeks ago right? I wonder where they live now.  They must have had something in mind since they were constantly saying it was super temporary and only until they married. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, birkenstock said:

After tonight's show, I wouldn't be surprised if Josie gets married before Carlin. Kelton is going to be the golden son-in-law (or co-golden one with Chad).  Gil loves that kid and Kelton seems really competent.  It's too bad half of Kelton's time will be taken up by Bates projects.

Bobby's parents looked happier to see Kelton than they did Tori!  I don't know if they would have left Bobby with the Bates family if Kelton wasn't in the area.

I had a mixed reaction to the house tour. On one hand, the Tori, Gil, and Kelly should at least try to impress their guests/future in-laws the first time they visit the house. On the other, they were honest and showed their truth. I don't think Tori has shame and don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing.

Bobby’s parents didn’t seem particularly overjoyed to see Tori. I mean I’m sure they’re fine with her — but in their minds, she and her family are the reason their son MUST move to nowhere Tenn and take any available job — i.e. a scrap yard — and live in a trailer. IDK what they do for a living but they live what looks to be an upper middle class life. I’m sure they never dreamt that their son would only be thinking with his d!ck to the extent that his gf and over bearing inlaws would convince him trailer living was the BEST bc then we can get married and have babies even faster. The kid lived in an apartment on the freaking beach IN COLLEGE (I know beach apts aren’t uncommon in FL but it looked reasonably nice and not free) and now as a GRAD a trailer is great?? You know what young people do to save money — they get cheap apartments with roommates. His BFF who his parents appear to love lives in the same area. Him and Kelton could have shared an apt and saved money that way. But I’m sure Tori and Kelly mixed the idea asap bc that would mean that maybe he’d push out the timeline 6 months to save up — they were adamant to get him moving in August, proposing in Sept and married by the end of 2017. I mean Kelly was freaking out when they heard of the free trailer bc they had to go see it RIGHT AWAY bc what if they lost it?? Lol I hear rural Tenn trailers go as fast as Manhattan  penthouses.

• Love 3

I wonder if UPN and/or  the Bates are setting themselves up to spinoff or re-brand themselves on a show that just focuses on the married couples - like counting on ? Once Josie gets married which would probably be next season, the main storyline is more so on the married and their new growing offspring than "bringing up 19 Bates' ". The remaining ones at home are kinda dull or to young to be of major interest for 20+ min.

Yes-keep a segment with Jeb & Jusdson until they outgrow their cuteness

Edited by sATL
On 1/17/2018 at 5:11 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I'm almost 100% sure that they said they're renting. The kitchen alone gave away that it's a rental.

Is the house still in a suburb of Chicago? A couple of little clues made me wonder. 

Ex: the gravel road wouldn't work too well with Chicago snowfall and they do plow the side streets; the curving walkup stairs would be a nightmare to shovel; plowing out a long double wide driveway isn't exactly a homeowner's first choice; little surprised at no basement (which may be common on newer homes in the Midwest now); the scene on the last day has the painted yellow brick on the right of the door and wood siding on the left (I like the natural color of brick).. 

I guess I need to see a scene of them enjoying the house in the winter when it's 10 below. Chicago is full of bldgs with beautiful different shade of  brick on many types of buildings - but not often painted.

Edited by sATL
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, Tahitigirl said:

It was a far cry from Jessa Dugger's broom closet courtship!

Say what you want about the Duggars, but at least, Michelle didn't beg any of her potential son in-law to propose (Kelly with Bobby) or ask for an engagement ring (Kelly with Evan).  That woman is like a modern day Mrs. Bennett (Pride and Prejudice). It's embarrassing!

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

This family loves their ice cream. They seem to have it for every special occasion.

What is Chad going to be doing after Kelton or Bobby takes his job? 

He got a job in construction, although he wasn't specific about his role. All in all, a very vague job description. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Say what you want about the Duggars, but at least, Michelle didn't beg any of her potential son in-law to propose (Kelly with Bobby) or ask for an engagement ring (Kelly with Evan).  That woman is like a modern day Mrs. Bennett (Pride and Prejudice). It's embarrassing!

She's asked Evan for a ring? When/how - how did I miss that? Also -- with Bobby was it just the "subtle" hinting at his house in FL with the whole "well NOW that you're done school, you can get engaged asap." Or was there more? Though I guess the theme continued when they mentioned the trailer and she FREAKED out, calling the lady right that second and was like -- oh Tori you can skip school to come look at it tomorrow NBD -- because she was SO desperate to lock up housing for Bobby to get him to Tenn. bc that would up the chances of a quick engagement, whereas with long distance there's always a chance a guy meets someone locally, starts talking to her and loses interest.

You forgot to mention she BEGGED Brandon to propose. Like BEGGED. He would literally say -- I want to finish school -- and she'd say -- oh why, do you need to finish, how much longer, why is it taking so long!? Then the MINUTE he finished school, that was it. They were out to dinner with Brandon and his parents and Michael in Chicago and she was acting so desperate -- when will you propose? soon?; how about spring; why not the spring? how about the winter? come on, can't you hint? And it went on and on to where it was humiliating as if she was so desperate to give Michael away.

2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

He got a job in construction, although he wasn't specific about his role. All in all, a very vague job description. 

He got an "opportunity with a builder." He said he wanted to construction since he moved to Tenn. and an opportunity opened up. So I imagine that means a actual construction/building job rather than a business/office job for a builder. Bc if it's a business/office job, he kind of has that with Noble Metals, so why leave?

• Love 2

Yeah, I assumed from his statement that he would be doing manual labor. I have no idea how the trades work in TN (legally), but at minimum, he's framing, building decks, possibly doing exteriors (ie shingles, etc). Not like Boob's rinky dink outfit in which his boys are also doing electrical, plumbing, sheetrocking, and tile in their flips. At least I HOPE Chad is with a reputible construction company. 

To be doing plumbing and electrical he'd need to be licensed, no? That's interesting he'd choose to leave an office job. Maybe Chad just prefers something more physical, but he can't be making all that much money, especially if we're not talking skilled trade.

ETA: I'm hoping the "builder" isn't Rapist Tim. Doesn't he have some sort of home remodeling business?

Edited by BitterApple
14 hours ago, cereality said:

She's asked Evan for a ring? When/how - how did I miss that? Also -- with Bobby was it just the "subtle" hinting at his house in FL with the whole "well NOW that you're done school, you can get engaged asap." Or was there more? Though I guess the theme continued when they mentioned the trailer and she FREAKED out, calling the lady right that second and was like -- oh Tori you can skip school to come look at it tomorrow NBD -- because she was SO desperate to lock up housing for Bobby to get him to Tenn. bc that would up the chances of a quick engagement, whereas with long distance there's always a chance a guy meets someone locally, starts talking to her and loses interest.

You forgot to mention she BEGGED Brandon to propose. Like BEGGED. He would literally say -- I want to finish school -- and she'd say -- oh why, do you need to finish, how much longer, why is it taking so long!? Then the MINUTE he finished school, that was it. They were out to dinner with Brandon and his parents and Michael in Chicago and she was acting so desperate -- when will you propose? soon?; how about spring; why not the spring? how about the winter? come on, can't you hint? And it went on and on to where it was humiliating as if she was so desperate to give Michael away.

Yeah, Kelly is so embarrassing. What is her problem? Their engaged. They are going to marry. But nope that's not good enough. I'm starting to be surprised that she doesn't lock the boys in a closet and refuse to let them out until they get married right now.  

4 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Or maybe he wants to do it all and he and Erin can be the next Chip and Joanna. 

Might not be a bad idea. They're an attractive, likeable couple with cute kids. Erin's taste isn't really my personal preference, but there's plenty of people who favor a frilly, country style. I think if any of the Bates girls wanted to market themselves as a lifestyle brand, they could probably make a go of it. 

• Love 2

Tori is giving Joy Anna Duggar a run for her money in the brainless/helpless department. Is this what attracts the Fundy boys? And Chad acting like somebody’s grandpa: “I like to see a young man make sacrifices.” 

The oldest Bates boy slimmed down  a bit. Looks great. 

• Love 1

I’m kind of shocked how much of the dr. visit Brandon and Michael chose to put on camera. People have been wondering whether his junk is ok and she said they had both been tested in Chicago and the dr. responded that was good bc  a significant % of conception issues can be male factor issues and here they weren’t.  And then when they go into the room to check her fallopian tubes, they allow audio because you can hear her reacting to the test/exam.  Not sure it’s very fundie modest to allow others to hear your reaction to an internal exam . . . .

So is this dr. (who I think Kelly and Erin use too) a fundie as well? Bc at the end he leaves them with – “do what you have to do but leave it in God’s hands.” Um – never met an OBGYN who has problems talking about sex.  Most will even tell you – have sex every day/every other day/whatever for x number of cycles and then, if that doesn’t work, we’ll try this drug/that specialist/whatever; they don't leave it with "do what you have to do" as if they can't say the word.  I mean who is going to pay a dr. to tell them to leave it in God’s hands – your clergy will tell you that for free!?

Brandon seemed concerned/confused what was going to happen with the next test – but no different than any young husband not fully understanding gyn issues.  Gotta say I much prefer him and his polite stoicness to emo-Chad who’d get teary every time he’d talk about fertility issues and how sad he felt about not being able to give Erin a baby, including tearing up in front of others and as I remember it – in this same drs. office waiting room.

• Love 6

Yeah the whole Dr. Vick visit was awkward. It’s like they know people are wondering so they want to put info out there, but want to still be modest. I do feel bad for Michael but she and Brandon do seem happy together. Too bad it’s not enough for her. 

The rest of the Bates clan is so annoying, they seem to be proud of how loud and rambunctious they are. Carlin is the worst, how old is she? She acts like a toddler.

• Love 6

I think we need a FAQ for the Bateses like we have for the Duggars. 

Michael was originally named Michal, after a bible character. However, Gil or Kelly later discovered that Michal wasn't to their liking and sought to change her name. However, they were told that to change her name it would cost $75. But for free, they could change/add one letter. Hence, Michael. 

It wasn't clear if Michael has had the procedure done after the diagnosis at Dr. Vick's, as the article inidicates that it's a surgery, not an in-office procedure as she underwent to get her diagnosis. Nothing on her IG has indicated anything about surgery or a pregnancy, so we're pretty much in the dark about what's really going on with her now, five months after that visit. 

• Love 2

I DID NOT know you could see stars during the eclipse. How effing cool. ✨✨

The older of the two youngest boys is the cutest. He's like an adult in a kid's body. His mannerisms are adorable! 

Kelly is a little nutty but I think she's just full of love and life. 

• Love 2
On 1/5/2018 at 7:52 AM, realitytvbitch980 said:

Okay, I'm glad someone else notices how over the top it is, lol. I mean, people become boyfriend and girlfriend everyday, and its never that over the top. I guess for them, though, its a super big deal haha. 

This is exactly the way the Duggar started losing it. More and more perks and such. It just happened to work out during the eclipse that they could get an appointment with Dr. Vicks. Going to practically a complete strangers house for fun yet showing Zero interaction with them....

On 1/26/2018 at 9:35 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Anybody notice all the weight the policeman son and his wife have lost?  They look terrific.

Yes, they both look good. I guess we can thank the police/state trooper academy for getting him in shape. And now that we wears uniforms daily (ie he can't outgrow them w/o buying new ones) and is on the force, he probably regularly works out. Don't police have to do a physical fitness test , at least once every year?

If we notice that Whitney looks good - you can surely bet so does Zach. Here comes baby #3. 

On the flip side, Tori is gaining - all in the hips. A couple of those jean skirts were very huggy. Time to work out to get ready for the wedding dress.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1

I too am  little curious about Dr. Vick.

• If he was raised a fundy, how was he able to go to an accrediated undergrad, medical school, residency and let alone specialize in OB-GYN? 
  • If he married into fundy, still I would think  the lifestyle of an OB-GYN (ie on-call, birth control, ) would be a contradiction of their religious rules. I would think it be a little hard to be a "true" fundy father (ie God & family first) of a large nbr of offspring while a fully practicing Ob Dr.    Derrick Dillard had issues being an accountant when he married Jill Duggar. Even Gil stopped being in sales/marketing/engineering to find another occupation so that he could spend time with his growing family.

Here is his bio and info about the practice from ( link ) :

A Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist. Dr. Vick earned a B.A. in Biology, an M.A. in Developemental Anatomy and his medical degree from West Virginia Univerity located in Morgantown West Virginia. He further completed his internship and residency at Northeast Ohio College of Medicine of Akron, Ohio.

side note: I would think a Bio Major would earn a B.S....as opposed to a B.A.  hmmmm

The office is named for Nancy Vick who passed in 2002 ( link ): "Nancy Vick had a vision to create a center for women that would not
only offer top-notch medical services, but also minister to them spiritually . She dreamed of a place that had an atmosphere of a warm Christian home instead of a sterile doctor's office; where Christian music would be heard and saying a prayer with a patient  would not be considered out of place."

Edited by sATL
1 hour ago, sATL said:

Yes, they both look good. I guess we can thank the police/state trooper academy for getting him in shape. And now that we wears uniforms daily (ie he can't outgrow them w/o buying new ones) and is on the force, he probably regularly works out. Don't police have to do a physical fitness test , at least once every year?

If we notice that Whitney looks good - you can surely bet so does Zach. Here comes baby #3. 

On the flip side, Tori is gaining - all in the hips. A couple of those jean skirts were very huggy. Time to work out to get ready for the wedding dress.

I'm confused.  Isn't Tori already married?

8 minutes ago, Patricia07 said:

I'm confused.  Isn't Tori already married?

they just aired Tori's decorating a trailer in TN for Bobby.

If they aired their engagement - which I'm sure was a long winded event all inclusive family event - I missed that episode.

but yes, I think they are now married in real life - the wedding has aired yet.

Edited by sATL
3 hours ago, sATL said:

I think Tori, Erin and Michael are built like Kelly. Not overweight now by any means but are probably going to struggle with extra pounds later in life.

My view on who the children favor, looks wise.  Half will be missing cause I don't know who they are.

Zach-Gil

Michael-Kelly

Erin-looks like Gil/ built like Kelly

Alyssa?

Lawson-Kelly

Nathan-Gil

Tori-Kelly

Carlin-Kelly

Josie-Gil

Trace?

Jud-Gil

Jeb-Gil

5 hours ago, flyingdi said:

My view on who the children favor, looks wise.  Half will be missing cause I don't know who they are.

Zach-Gil

Michael-Kelly

Erin-looks like Gil/ built like Kelly

Alyssa?

Lawson-Kelly

Nathan-Gil

Tori-Kelly

Carlin-Kelly

Josie-Gil

Trace?

Jud-Gil

Jeb-Gil

Omg Tori's surely got  Kellys mouth!

• Love 1
On 1/19/2018 at 7:20 PM, sATL said:

little surprised at no basement (which may be common on newer homes in the Midwest now);

nope - not common at all in the midwest even in newer construction.  I totally missed they didn't have basement. 

Honestly I'm not sure how anyone lives without a basement. 

• Love 1