Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

• Start Topic

Haven't watched yet, but I find I am getting bored with the Bates family.  Maybe it's overexposure...they seem to be on all the time.  And the story lines don't vary much from engagements, weddings, and family vacations.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 6/18/2018 at 6:28 PM, BitterApple said:

I finally saw the episode today, and wow, that was so incredibly rude the way the family descended on Katie's pizza like a bunch of starved hyenas. That gift was supposed to be for HER and they didn't even ask if they could have a slice, they just started grabbing. No wonder Josie has a permanent "get me the eff out of here" expression plastered to her face. 

I wish whichever brother had Katie’s name had given her a certificate for a pizza lunch w/just him. That would’ve been better than the 1 slice of her own pizza she got. And, yes—Josie’s face. During the couples dinner, everyone was laughing & having a good time. She had a weird smirk on her face and looked like she wasn’t enjoying herself at all. I wonder if she’s just waiting to cut & run like Alyssa, although she won’t get as far as FL. 

2 hours ago, answerphone said:

Why does tonight's episode seen so obnoxious??

The Bates family hates seafood, but let's go order hundreds of dollars worth so we can spit it out and make disgusting faces. What a fake set up that was.

The kids all rode the bikes without helmets.

A—They probably didn’t pay for any of that.  Probably comped by the restaurant or production. I don’t like seafood either, so I’m with them.

B—Up was throwing shade by having ‘remember to wear helmets’ on the screen. 

2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Did the show address the fact that Carlin is now doing school online since becoming the younger kids' "teacher?" Where the hell is Kelly the college Chemistry major?

Yes, she said it was better because she could get done faster and help her mom. They showed the littles at their desks, working on their workbook pages for the day. Carlin was supervising them all, helping Jed and Kelly would take different ones out that needed 1 on 1 help. 

And I’m going to assume that it’s Carlin that’s engaged w/o having to watch the promo tomorrow. Not shocking or unexpected at all. I’ll guess married by September, pregnant by Christmas. 

4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Just like with Carson, I don't get naming your kid one thing and then giving him a nickname completely unrelated to the original. If you like Cade, just name him Cade for goodness sake, or save it for the next kid since you know she's gonna be five babies deep by the time she hits 30. To me it's like naming your child William and calling him Frank. 

I agree. But at least Carson is somewhat derivative of Charles. Cade isn’t remotely the same. 

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Love 1

Wow—it’s Josie and Kelton!  I really thought it would be Carlin and Evan since they’ve been together longer. I wonder if she’ll quit her salon job after the wedding. And if they’ll limit their kids (or at least be more careful) after what happened w/his mother. 

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Haven't watched yet, but I find I am getting bored with the Bates family.  Maybe it's overexposure...they seem to be on all the time.  And the story lines don't vary much from engagements, weddings, and family vacations.

100%. I was looking at some of their Father's Day posts on Instagram and there were quite a few negative comments about Zach and Whitney's upcoming vow renewal. Not even so much that they were doing it, but the fact that they're going through the whole shebang of putting on an entire wedding. 

I think with any reality TV family, it starts out cute and then the shtick wears thin eventually.

Eta: I notice Michael and Alyssa coming home an awful lot for these ridiculous events. Does UP pay for their travel? Because even if plane tickets were a couple hundred bucks each, all those trips add up pretty quickly. I suppose John and Alyssa may drive, but a long road trip with two babies to attend a vow renewal and I Love You day party? Yeah, count me out unless I'm getting a nice paycheck.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Tdoc72 said:

Wow—it’s Josie and Kelton!  I really thought it would be Carlin and Evan since they’ve been together longer. I wonder if she’ll quit her salon job after the wedding. And if they’ll limit their kids (or at least be more careful) after what happened w/his mother. 

I thought it might have been them based on what she had said earlier about getting planning and not telling anyone till they were ready.  It seems that they really wanted to skip over the whole courtship, engagement crap.  Josie is ready to cut ties with the whole thing and Kelton will be making a lot of money and be able to support them.  She may be breaking from some of the "traditional" rules that have been set up like Alyssa has.

10 hours ago, zenme said:

Funny when Carlin said "...it's a win for me and mom, or should I say 'mom and I' since I'm smart and educated?" No Carlin. It's actually "mom and me."

So I wonder what Mama Jane and Papa Bill do (or did), for a living? All that land and property? Beach houses...

They have a big farm upstate.  Also, the beach house was in Cherry Grove and it depends on when it was purchased, it really would not have been that much, especially if bought in the 50's or 60's.  Cherry Grove was even cheap in the 70's.

• Love 2

That seafood scene was rather disgusting.  Oysters?  And why didn't they order fried shrimp that the kids could dip in ketchup?  That might have appealed to them.  We get it Bates family, you are proud of your backwoods ways!

• Love 5

Well, Kelton has a job. I'm not sure what Evan is doing since he left the doctor's office. I've heard he'd an electrician apprentice, but that doesn't bring in much cash. Carlin hopes to teach music, but to who, exactly? She's not trained on one instrument like Erin or even Lawson. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, Kelton has a job. I'm not sure what Evan is doing since he left the doctor's office. I've heard he'd an electrician apprentice, but that doesn't bring in much cash. Carlin hopes to teach music, but to who, exactly? She's not trained on one instrument like Erin or even Lawson. 

I think Carlin is just paying lip service. Her only goal right now is to get married, and the sooner, the better. Clown College was just a placeholder. As soon as that engagement ring goes on her finger, the online program will probably get ditched as well. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I guess the only way we'll know if she completes the online degree is to see a picture of her in a cap and gown. Seems like Clown College will let anyone dress up for a day, even if you just complete a lame certificate program (ie. Trace). ?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

I thought it would be Carlin & Evan too, but I'm kind of glad it's Josie & Kelton. Josie seems ready to run and Kelton actually has a solid career and the ability to put a decent roof over their heads and pay the bills. I'm sure Josie will continue to work until she falls pregnant and then she'll probably see people out of her house or something on the side. I predict these two will be one of the most successful couples out of the current married bunch. I think Zach/Whit and Alyssa/John are solid; Erin/Chad and Tori/Bobby less so. The rock on her finger is fairly big and she went on a scavenger hunt to Utah---I mean, he brought the big guns and I bet she is the envy of a few of her sisters. 

• Love 6

I heard about the engagement. I notice neither Tori and Bobby or Josie and Kelton has their own thread. @Loves2Dance  "ready to run" is an interesting thread. "Ready to Run" doesn't sound like she's ready to get married. More like run away from it all. I think her parents would prefer her married with kids to working (and possibly becoming independent) so they're probably thrilled. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Temperance said:

I heard about the engagement. I notice neither Tori and Bobby or Josie and Kelton has their own thread. @Loves2Dance  "ready to run" is an interesting thread. "Ready to Run" doesn't sound like she's ready to get married. More like run away from it all. I think her parents would prefer her married with kids to working (and possibly becoming independent) so they're probably thrilled. 

To be fair, I ran from my house to my husband's house. I did love my husband and we had been together for nearly 4 years---but we were high school sweethearts and he joined the Army so I ran 6 or 7 states away. We celebrated 13 years in Feb; so it's not necessarily a bad thing. I think Josie is over it all and what more is there to accomplish as a Bates daughter? For any other girl we may consider living alone, learning a hobby or traveling, but Josie is a Bates and there will none of that. At least the girl got her Cosmo license and has a job. 

• Love 2
On 6/21/2018 at 8:17 PM, dixiemama said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkTPJV9FjaV/?hl=en&taken-by=bobbysmith.rp

It's a boy, interesting naming him after Dad but calling him Cade...is that what Erin and Chad did with Carson? 

This kid is going to have to spend a lifetime explaining why he wants to be called Cade, rather than Robert, Bobby, Bob, Rob, Robbie, Ellis, Eli...

Good thing he will never have to go to school and have to explain every time there’s a sub.  Why not save Cade for baby #2...or 9?

• Love 6

The only thing I can think is that they are calling him a nickname to distinguish him from the three Bobs before him. ?‍♀️ I can think of dozens of such examples in my family and friends. At least they aren’t naming him Spurgeon!

I'm really surprised its Josie and Kelton engaged instead of Carlin and Evan. It didn't help with them making comments about engagement pictures with Carlin and Evan. Plus Kelly's always ready to shove a kid down the aisle. Too bad we missed Carlin's reaction. That would have been awesome.  

• Love 2

Carlin was even more hyper than usual in the live FB this week. She already knew (as did Callie). Callie did a masterful job keeping her mouth shut. When Carlin joined in, it was hot mess jealous express.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, riverblue22 said:

Bored and annoyed. I don't know if its overexposure or knowing more about the family then we see on the show.  Oh look here's Kelly pretending like she actually does teach her kids instead of Carlin and Tori before her. Oh no there worrying about Kelly being down because of eye surgery. Are they really worried? Maybe but Kelly doesn't do anything when she's healthy so it doesn't really make a difference to cooking, cleaning or anything part of raising her kids. The boys are being more and more obnoxious Nathan flipping out over his sister's hair, oh look at them eat all their sister's gift. Killjoy Tori great more complaining and being obnoxious. Their behavior with the shrimp. Oh Michael's on here let's see what Kelly makes her do this time. We do get the same stuff engagements, weddings, and family vacations. Its was nice seeing Josie going to school for something that could be a career and working in the salon. It would be nice to see more of that. It would have been nice to hear more about Whitney's job beyond what stupid scene of her dropping of her kids and sounding like she had to explain why she got a job. What does she do? Just set up homes? Has she sold any? How does she like her job? The littlest kids are still cute Judson, Jed, Callie, Addie, Ellie, Allie, Lexi, Bradley, Carson, and Brooklyn. 

• Love 2

I don't get Carlin. With the odd exception, isn't courtship a guaranteed pathway to marriage? So it's not a matter of if Evan will propose but when, and given that he wears his famewhore loud and proud, I can't imagine he'll wait too much longer to join the gravy train. Maybe it's the raging hormones, but she comes across as so desperate.

• Love 5

Happy for Josie and Kelton.  Usually I think these fundies get married way too young, but they’re ready.  Josie is only 18 but Kelton got interested in her when she was 15-ish – and he was probably 20-ish.  I know Gil told them to put it on pause, but in this day of smart phones, I have no doubt that they were talking etc. even if they weren’t hanging out in person.  So while it’s been a quick “courtship” (which she didn’t even want – telling him to just propose when he was doing his whole courtship day with her, and he said if he had a ring on him, he would have) – I think they know each other pretty well which is what matters.

And he makes actual money.  Plumbers can easily make 100k+ and in a place like Knoxville that is a LOT of money.  IDK if Gil was ever making 100k while supporting 18 kids.  Plus it’s his uncle’s plumbing company so as a family member, there’s a chance Kelton even gets a small % of profit and even if he doesn’t now – he stands to be in a good position to inherit the business/buy out his uncle one day and be the full-fledged owner of what seems to be a fairly large business in that area.  As far as I can tell, his dad Michael isn’t in the plumbing business.  People asked about Michael’s sweet Lexus – turns out there’s a Michael Balka in Knoxville, exactly the right age to be Kelton’s dad, who owns his own IT business; I have a feeling that’s his dad work, not plumbing – even makes sense given we’ve always see dad a bit dressed up, overcoats, suit jackets etc. as if he works with professional clients.  In any event, Kelton grew up with money (even if I’m wrong about the IT thing and dad is in plumbing) and is now making six figures or close to it himself – that means Josie will come a LONG way from where she grew up.

I see her being like Alyssa – they’ll buy a home in the next year or two and she’ll keep it really nicely and balk at siblings coming over and messing it all up.  Unlike Alyssa, she’s likely not going anywhere since Kelton’s plumbing business is in Knoxville; though I suppose if Kelton wanted to follow his BFF to Nashville he could convince his uncle to allow him to expand the business by adding a Nashville location.  In any event, I don’t see them leaving Tenn.  However, I suspect they’ll still end up living an independent life and won’t be spending days on end back at the Bates’ home.  I can see them being the types that stop by for an hr or two on a Saturday and then conveniently need to leave bc they have dinner reservations in the city.  Josie has said before that Kelton knows the downtown area well as he always goes out there – i.e. does the things normal young people with $$ do.  Wouldn’t be surprised if they bought a house in one of those young professional areas, instead of these isolated homesteads that the Bates and Paines seem to have gravitated to – undoubtedly for money reasons.  And I can’t imagine them with more than 3-4 kids.  Whether he talks about it or not, Kelton has to be traumatized – he was only a 13 year old boy.  I can see him getting scared, every time Josie is due to give birth and then at some point just saying – that’s enough, I can’t live my life this worried about you every 9 months, 2 kids or 4 kids or whatever is plenty.

Where did we hear that Evan is an electrician apprentice instead of a drs. office receptionist? I wonder if he’s seeing the light now being around his future brothers in law all the time; maybe he’s noticing that John and Alyssa and Josie and Kelton live well and that’s bc of HVAC and plumbing.  The Bates family has got to be salivating – with Chad as general contractor; Zach on framing; Kelton on plumbing; Evan maybe on electrical; and Nathan/Law/Trace landscaping, that could be a full fledged fundie family business one day.  I truly hope Zach and Kelton don’t leave their established well paid gigs with benefits for something like that – the others, I don’t really care.

As for Cade – Bobby’s parents must be breathing a sigh of relief that in exchange for having an obnoxious daughter in law, at least they get Robert Ellis Smith IV and the name continues. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Bored and annoyed. I don't know if its overexposure or knowing more about the family then we see on the show.  Oh look here's Kelly pretending like she actually does teach her kids instead of Carlin and Tori before her. Oh no there worrying about Kelly being down because of eye surgery. Are they really worried? Maybe but Kelly doesn't do anything when she's healthy so it doesn't really make a difference to cooking, cleaning or anything part of raising her kids. The boys are being more and more obnoxious Nathan flipping out over his sister's hair, oh look at them eat all their sister's gift. Killjoy Tori great more complaining and being obnoxious. Their behavior with the shrimp. Oh Michael's on here let's see what Kelly makes her do this time. We do get the same stuff engagements, weddings, and family vacations. Its was nice seeing Josie going to school for something that could be a career and working in the salon. It would be nice to see more of that. It would have been nice to hear more about Whitney's job beyond what stupid scene of her dropping of her kids and sounding like she had to explain why she got a job. What does she do? Just set up homes? Has she sold any? How does she like her job? The littlest kids are still cute Judson, Jed, Callie, Addie, Ellie, Allie, Lexi, Bradley, Carson, and Brooklyn. 

On Whitney's real estate page she has one listing.  That may be why they haven't shown what she actually does at her job....

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dixiemama said:

On Whitney's real estate page she has one listing.  That may be why they haven't shown what she actually does at her job....

Lol, one listing? How does she expect to make any money? I know we've already discussed it up thread, but I'll say it again. Real estate is a waste of time for someone like her. She isn't going to sacrifice filming and the perks that go with it to hustle and grind in the housing market. It's like she just wants to dress up in cute outfits and pat herself on the back for being a modern career woman.

Although in fairness I admit I know absolutely nothing about selling houses. Maybe there's some sort of seniority system where newbies don't get first choice when it comes to new listings.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Lol, one listing? How does she expect to make any money? I know we've already discussed it up thread, but I'll say it again. Real estate is a waste of time for someone like her. She isn't going to sacrifice filming and the perks that go with it to hustle and grind in the housing market. It's like she just wants to dress up in cute outfits and pat herself on the back for being a modern career woman.

Although in fairness I admit I know absolutely nothing about selling houses. Maybe there's some sort of seniority system where newbies don't get first choice when it comes to new listings.

I thought at the beginning it was production driven just to fill some time and give a plug to her friend the realtor. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Like most everyone else, I am really psyched to hear about Josie & Kelton. I’m really, really, really excited for them. I never thought I’d be so happy for a couple I don’t even know, let alone an 18 year old future bride! I really love them together and always look forward to any scenes they’re in on the show. They seem to be major exceptions to the stereotypes about young fundies rushing into marriage just to have sex. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but they have already known each other a lot longer when compared to Josie’s married siblings who all met & married their spouses within an average of 18 mos - two years. That alone proves they really do know each other and won’t be asking one another if they’re supposed to kiss or not while on their honeymoon!

Their maturity is an example that Carlin & Evan (and a lot of other people who aren’t on TV) seriously need to study and follow! In addition to their laid back approach to life, they also strike me as modern and wouldn’t be afraid to do things “their way”, whether that’s sending their kids to school or waiting several years to even think about starting a family. I can’t wait to see the inevitable photos of Josie wearing pants!

They’re both well trained/educated/licensed in vocations that will always have a customer base, regardless of their zip code. They also both seem to really enjoy working as it gives them satisfaction and a great sense of self. I’d like to think Josie chose her occupation as it will allow her to be modern and/or working mom and provide her with opportunities that her siblings don’t/won’t have. They are doing what they love and it shows. (I can’t find the true appeal in plumbing other than the money, so I’m assuming Kelton also enjoys knowing he’s helping others who depend on his specific set of skills so they can have running water or flush their toilets again!)

Josie might have liked growing up with 18 siblings (at times), but I hope she will remember how badly she wanted out of that house when it’s time for them to start their own family. I can only assume that she won’t want her own kids to endure the same type of crazy, big top circus life that having a boat load of siblings almost always entails.  I think she and Kelton will make wonderful parents, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they stopped at two kids (and also used birth control on the down low!). A hair stylist can’t earn money or even derive joy from their career if they’re working while heavily pregnant, always on maternity leave or at home with kids. 

Edited by Bridget
Spelling real words is important!
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, XrystalPond said:

Nobody likes to think about it, but it is scary how ill-prepared these families are for a tragedy. If something happened to Zach, Whitney could step up and work more to fill in the gap. She's also held regular jobs before (Sonic) that might not have paid well but prove she can and will work. Erin would have more of a problem. Piano lessons aside, Erin would be struggling to find a way. Yes, fundy families allow the girl to move back home if she becomes a widow, but that's hardly ideal. Zach would life insurance and other benefits through work too. Chad is less likely to have that.  

I think about this all the time with this family and the Duggar family. They aren't prepared for when things go wrong. Will Whitney be able to step up and work if something happens to Zach? She's had real jobs before but how long ago was that? Would she be able to step up and really start selling houses? Working her way up in a company? She seems like the most likely to be able to. If they have life insurance that would be great. Erin? There's no way. Her music lessons aren't going to cover rent, three kids, goats and a dog. If she's even doing that. There's no way she'll be able to handle a real job. She was the one afraid to go to a real college because she might have to sit with a girl with green hair. Nothing about Erin says she'll be able to step up and work. Chad just left a good paying job to go into construction without waiting to build up that job. I'd be surprised if they had any insurance. Alyssa? Maybe. She did or still does do the cleaning business with John which could bring in a lot of money. If she could find someone to watch her kids. She'd be able to turn that into a full time job. Michael? Maybe. Not sure but she did work as a nanny and actually got a degree or something from a real college and not Crown. But she'd most likely end up back at home doing everything that Kelly won't.  Tori? I'd be surprised if she works. Would she be able to step up and find a job if she had to support herself and her son? Probably not. Carlin? Your right. You can find music teachers everywhere. How many does a town need when its a small town? Probably not that many.  Josie has a degree and license from something that is a real job and can find work anywhere. She could get hired at any salon or start one at home.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, XrystalPond said:

It is clear that Carlin simply went to college to get her Mrs. Once she and Evan began getting serious, she was fine with the online option. I try not to frown at education, but a general diploma gets her what exactly? What's the point? She took some music classes so she can "teach music?" Where? No offense, but Rocky Top/Anderson County is not that big and has a limited number of people wanting to hire the loud fundy girl. And her plans to move to Nashville? There are musicians everywhere in Nashville. Bad plan there. I do find it amusing that Josie is engaged before her sister who was literally trying to set up her engagement moment in front of the cameras every episode. Not feeling much sympathy.  

This is the part I really don't think Carlin or Lawson or even the Duggar cousin ever seem to realize. There are millions of people going to Nashville to try and make it big. They don't have the talent to beat out most of those already there. They really don't. The fundie circle maybe easier to play since there's always a ton of churches to sing at. But even in their circles there's a lot of people trying to be musicians too. They don't have anything to set them apart. Lawson went to Nashville and look how well he's done? He's had a couple tours. But no big break. There aren't studios breaking down the door to sign him. Their not going to break down the door to sign Carlin. Also are they going to put in the hard work it takes to try and make it big? Singing at bars and clubs? Working hard to come up with songs that'll appeal to a large audience or who their performing too? Going to different radio stations to get their songs on the air? They've been told they are good. But that was mostly by their family and friends.  They've performed on their TV show and again no one is breaking down the door to sign them. 

• Love 1

I don't have any issue with Lawson taking a gamble and pursuing his dream, but I agree he's getting to the point where he needs to make some decisions. As Kevin O'Leary always says on Shark Tank, if you've been at it for three years and still aren't making any money, it's a hobby, not a business. 

If the thought of turning tail and spending the rest of his life trimming trees depresses him, then find something in the music industry where you can make a living, because it ain't gonna happen as a performer.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, XrystalPond said:

I think he could actually do well working on writing songs. But that would require attending things like showcases and open mic nights that would include alcohol, etc. But he seems to have some talent for that and the ability to strum through the notes to get it done. 

I agree with everything you’ve said, but I’d also like to add that Lawson doesn’t have the fortune of having any breadth of experience in the living life/love departments to use as inspiration for writing contemporary country music. If he were to stay in a Christian-Country lane, that’s even less money to earn as their market and demand aren’t nearly as large as current country music radio. 

It would also mean that he’d have to move to Nashville to be more accessible to others, spend long hours at the studio, be able to attend events at music haunts and network as often as possible. (Name dropping that he is friends with Andy Leftwich every 10 minutes doesn’t count as networking!)  Commuting from Batesville to Nashville is career sabotage/suicide, especially given the amount of singers & songwriters that inhabit the city and who can show up to a writing session at a moment’s notice or work late into the wee hours of the morning. 

He shouid get an internship at a record label in Nashville and learn the real ropes about being a real musician/song writer. I know that jobs, especially internships, at record labels are highly competitive and his non-existent college degree wouldn’t exactly put him in the front of the pack. 

While in Nashville, he should also suck it up and take some vocal lessons. Surely someone loves him enough to tell him that he needs them?!?! He’d also benefit from some college courses in voice/music, marketing and business to give him some tools to be as successful as possible. Worst case scenario is that he’d end up with an AA or a BA in music. He always seems to be holding a baby or a toddler, so I feel confident saying he’d make an excellent music teacher at a school. 

• Love 4

I think they're up to February. Kelly had her eye surgery in January, and they were also in Australia with the Duggars for part of that month. I think this is after that filming lull (aside from a day at the Bateses to show Kelly post-surgery).

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I think they're up to February. Kelly had her eye surgery in January, and they were also in Australia with the Duggars for part of that month. I think this is after that filming lull (aside from a day at the Bateses to show Kelly post-surgery).

UP must be very tight with vacay $$. No wonder they got that house right near the beach. February..

temp.thumb.jpg.edd2f5449cfe95e6ecabbe775246fd57.jpg

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
On 6/22/2018 at 2:18 PM, riverblue22 said:

That seafood scene was rather disgusting.  Oysters?  And why didn't they order fried shrimp that the kids could dip in ketchup?  That might have appealed to them.  We get it Bates family, you are proud of your backwoods ways!

seems odd with 19 kids - adding on both parents are from SC (ie access to quality fresh seafood) - none of them like seafood. Have preferences yes. ..

The marries - on date night try something new. The clip of Zach saying no fish  - kinda shocking.

Agree on maybe should have ordered fried or baked fillets/shrimp. Not even filet of fish (ie fast food) or frozen fish sticks made it out one dinner ??

On 6/21/2018 at 11:23 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Sounds like I can delete this one from the DVR.

I've been deleting most of this season . My DVR automatically gets the next show (Expecting?Delivering? - something like that) so I tend to get an hour or more recorded. Need the space for something else.

4 minutes ago, sATL said:

I've been deleting most of this season . My DVR automatically gets the next show (Expecting?Delivering? - something like that) so I tend to get an hour or more recorded. Need the space for something else.

I haven't watched any this season, but only read here.  Plenty enough for me!!  If Michaela gets pregnant, I will watch a minute of that.

(edited)
20 minutes ago, sATL said:

seems odd with 19 kids - adding on both parents are from SC (ie access to quality fresh seafood) - none of them like seafood. Have preferences yes. ..

The marries - on date night try something new. The clip of Zach saying no fish  - kinda shocking.

Agree on maybe should have ordered fried or baked fillets/shrimp. Not even filet of fish (ie fast food) or frozen fish sticks made it out one dinner ??

I believe they're from the Greenville-Spartanburg area, so it's not like they were *that* close to the ocean. Not to mention, Gil grew up on a farm, so his diet and tastes would have been influenced by that. Then factor moving even further inland in TN, and I can see how they became such meat and potatoes people.

Edited by Sew Sumi
20 minutes ago, sATL said:

Living in South Carolina doesn't necessarily mean everyone has access to fresh seafood. I lived about an hour from Greenville. Our town, as far as seafood went, wasn't any different from the Midwest. Boring old Applebee's was the big place to eat there. 

• Love 2

The South had a colder winter this year, but Myrtle Beach temperatures can vary during the offseason. I've been there in March when it was in the 80s. Last March, it was in the sixties. It wasn't packed, but there were people around. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, sATL said:

what month was this cold deserted beach trip ? 

They were there in Feb.  It was mentioned what month.  

I was in MB during the month of Feb and I was running around wearing capris and short sleeves and walking barefoot in the ocean.  We were staying in an oceanfront suite, we had the door open to the balcony and the ac going (except one night for the ac-it got a little cooler).  I never wore a jacket the whole time there.

15 hours ago, Heathen said:

Living in South Carolina doesn't necessarily mean everyone has access to fresh seafood. I lived about an hour from Greenville. Our town, as far as seafood went, wasn't any different from the Midwest. Boring old Applebee's was the big place to eat there. 

You are correct about that.  Even if you live along the coast.  You can't get fresh shrimp unless the season is open to catch them (which just opened a couple of weeks back).  Depends on the time of the year and if you went out on a boat and caught it yourself.

On 6/22/2018 at 2:18 PM, riverblue22 said:

I can say that I don't blame them on the oysters. Why would anyone give oysters to a child anyway?  I think they are worse than snot rockets going down.  Tried them and it is a no-go for me.  Not a fan of most fish either.

Shrimp is best with cocktail sauce or ketchup.

They should have let them try fried popcorn shrimp with ketchup or sauce to dip. It was a set up yet again for the show IMO. It's hard to go from not eating any fish or seafood at all immediately to trying raw oysters & clams.  Cooked fish would also have been a more sane thing to try. All episode drive.

I love how Gil weaseled out of his response to one of this sons suggesting that they should go back to the beach when it was HOT in the summer. Gil danced around their 'modesty' belief about seeing other people in normal bathing suits at the beach and just said that there would be 'people' around then. Such idiots.

• Love 6