Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, woodscommaelle said:

What color would you call the inner layer of her dress? I don't like it but I like everything else about it. A light pink would be really pretty.

Nathan said 'up hair' at one point and it made me giggle. I didn't have a problem with him offering hair advice. And Carlin did an amazing job. I loved Tori's hair. 

I have no problem with Nathan suggesting a hairstyle, I have a problem with him insisting upon it.

• Love 13

I'd call the under layer of the dress champagne. It came across as more gold than beige or blush, at least on my tv.

Nathan had no idea what he was talking about. Tori wearing her hair down would've covered up all the elements of the dress that she loved and wanted to show off. 

Also, what on Earth was Kelly thinking even considering an elective surgical procedure four days before the wedding? I'm hoping that was producer-driven, because otherwise that comes off as really selfish. It's not like Lasik is life or death. It can be done any time.

I'm kind of surprised Carlin didn't go into cosmetology like Josie. She has a knack for it.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Also, what on Earth was Kelly thinking even considering an elective surgical procedure four days before the wedding? I'm hoping that was producer-driven, because otherwise that comes off as really selfish. It's not like Lasik is life or death. It can be done any time.

Yeah, that was weird. I can't decide if it was producer-driven or not because she didn't seem to get why everyone else thought it was a bad idea. Also, despite being very busy Kelly and Gil decided to go out to dinner to celebrate their anniversary. I know it was just dinner. But it seems like if you were so busy with your daughter's wedding which was a week away or less why would you decide then to go out on an anniversary dinner? Why wouldn't you put that off a week or two? 

• Love 1

Kelly actually ended up having complications after her Lasik surgery. Imagine the drama had she stupidly had the procedure before the wedding. 

They are so cavalier; it wouldn't surprise me one bit if she really had considered having it done days before the wedding. It would have gotten her out of a lot of work. 

• Love 3
On 4/14/2018 at 11:17 AM, andromeda331 said:

I agree why can't others help with or do Thanksgiving? They could still go to Bill and Jane's for Thanksgiving but prepare the meal themselves or divide it among the family. Gil's brother and sister, Kelly, their kids and the cousins? If they each took one dish they'd have an entire meal ready to go. Even if Jane makes the best turkey in the world (maybe she does my grandmothers were awesome cooks) then why can't others help her? Do the lifting for her. Helping her or fix it while she tells them how to do it.  

I don't understand that either.  With my family... we don't have 19 kids.. but we do have a large extended family, easily 25 people squeezed into my grandparents small house every Thanksgiving and Christmas.  My grandma and aunt were in charge of the turkey and a few other items.  Everyone else brought another dish.  Another aunt drove at least an hour, maybe 1.5 hours and brought a hot dish every time.  You stick it back in the oven for a bit and wha-la! A hot dish!  we drove 1.5 hours... I think my mom always took a cold dish. 

On 4/15/2018 at 2:37 PM, floridamom said:

I agree that Kelly and Gil are grifters at heart. I also don't think it's right for them to give Gil's mother all that work for Thanksgiving without doing a lot of it themselves to help her out. Why don't they EVER seem to visit Kelly's mother? We already know that neither of their mothers are fundie like them, so why didn't Kelly visit her mother with her new husband for Thanksgiving...or better yet, invite both sets of parents to THEIR house for Thanksgiving? Has Kellie ever roasted a turkey herself? 

Not sure if this was commented towards Thanksgiving or just visiting in general.  But in terms to Thanksgiving... some families just visit a certain side every year.  With my family we always celebrated thanksgiving with my mom's side.  Never had thanksgiving with my dad's side ever.  And only did Christmas with them every other year. 

• Love 2

I’m about a week behind – but in the Thanksgiving episode, it was nice to see Zach and Whit and John (and I imagine Alyssa was there too) sitting on the porch with Bill and Jane before the hordes arrived.  Zach and Alyssa seem to be especially close to the grandparents, so it’s nice that they were able to sit and maybe just tell them about their lives – John/Alyssa’s new cleaning business; Whit’s new job in real estate; the house Zach/Whit remodeled – in a normal conversation fashion without Lawson/Nathan/little kids taking over the conversation or Kelly screaming about fellowshipping or weddings or whatever it is that she loudly prattles on about taking over every conversation.  Whit has said before that Zach is especially close to Papa Bill and talks about him at home all the time and with any decision wonders if Papa Bill would agree/be proud etc.

Josie and Kelton were taking THREE years ago and Gil told them to dial it back!? She’s only 18 that means she’s been talking to her man since age 15.  She REALLY was on the Alyssa track – I know I’m not going to college (at least I’ll go to trade school), I need to lock up a man young bc I’m outta here at 18, babies starting at 19.  Gil’s probably the first fundie ever to tell a daughter to dial it back – most would be THRILLED to get a daughter married off at 16.

Only saw a few min of this weeks episode.  Kind of enjoyed Bobby’s boss mocking him for planning a honeymoon at Yosemite in the winter when he’s never seen snow before let alone 3 ft of snow and doesn’t own a proper winter coat . . . . Loved that Bobby had to say that they had considered going someplace warm but they didn’t want to go anywhere where there would be millions of people and wanted it to be more “private,” as Tori eagerly nodded along.  We get it.  You two don’t to leave the cabin or even the bedroom for the entire week and you don’t want hotel walls where neighbors can hear you getting it on multiple times a day – thanks for sharing . . . . I swear these fundies rush to the altar just for a kiss and sex.

Guess it was good to hear Bobby say that the wedding is for the bride/bride’s family, but planning the honeymoon and life after the honeymoon is the groom’s responsibility.  Guess that’s good at least someone is thinking about life after the week of honeymoon sex because Tori can’t seem to plan past jumping his bones . . . .

Oh and BS on Erin's whole -- 3 strikes and I'm out -- i.e. done with 3 kids. BS. She said the same after kid #1 and #2 but oops they just seem to keep getting pregnant -- gee wonder why that happens or how to stop it. And no sooner did she say maybe 3 was it for them, Chad can be heard saying quietly -- we need a brother for Carson. They're on the as many as God gives us track -- until/unless there are financial troubles in which case they'll still have no less than 6-8.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, cereality said:

And no sooner did she say maybe 3 was it for them, Chad can be heard saying quietly -- we need a brother for Carson. They're on the as many as God gives us track -- until/unless there are financial troubles in which case they'll still have no less than 6-8.

Wow, I didn't hear him say that. You'd think three miscarriages plus three high risk pregnanies would be enough for these morons. Does Erin really want to spend the better part of her adult life getting daily shots to maintain a pregnancy? And the other million dollar question: how the hell are they affording all this? Chad is now working for himself and even Erin admitted it isn't full time, so what about health insurance? I have friends who pay over a grand a month in premiums for a family of four. No way in hell the Paines have that kind of cash. So what gives?

*not trying to come off snippy towards you, cereality. I'm just curious as to how financial constraints that hamper most Americans from having large families don't seem to be a factor for these people. They all manage to float through life without a care in the world. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

"Long and curly." Nathan doesn't fall far from the Gothard tree. I wonder what he thinks about Ashley whacking off her hair (I think she looks terrific).

Maybe that's what was eating at him.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, I didn't hear him say that. You'd think three miscarriages plus three high risk pregnanies would be enough for these morons. Does Erin really want to spend the better part of her adult life getting daily shots to maintain a pregnancy? And the other million dollar question: how the hell are they affording all this? Chad is now working for himself and even Erin admitted it isn't full time, so what about health insurance? I have friends who pay over a grand a month in premiums for a family of four. No way in hell the Paines have that kind of cash. So what gives?

*not trying to come off snippy towards you, cereality. I'm just curious as to how financial constraints that hamper most Americans from having large families don't seem to be a factor for these people. They all manage to float through life without a care in the world. 

I've been trying to figure how how all of the marrieds , except Zach/Whitney; Alyssa/John, survive financially. Show on TLC/UPN still doesn't seem to be enough to pay basic life bills to support their life style. Anybody know how UPN is doing financially, compared to other networks?

{ list created by just glancing over my own account..}

One can't vacation in the 'burbs of chicago with no/little $$, let alone live there. A good winter coat = $$$.

Lets start with foodies: I mean we are basically watching the "Waltons - times 2" , who churned butter, milked cows, had laying hens, baked bread, and canned veggies/fruits to feed a large family. The Bates who have an abundance of land, get everything from the regular grocery store, right? Do they coupon? I don't recall them even mentioning a garden of any kind. I thought it was odd for Erin to get "goats" who eat more than their worth - unless you like goat milk/cheese.

Then lets add utility bills - Heat/Electric/water has got to be a dear cost.  It does get very cold and very hot in the hills of TN. Yes, they have a life time supply of fire wood, but still. I don't think they sit around fanning themselves with cardboard. And doesn't one pay something to someone even if you have well water and on septic tank?

Cellphones. All tweens and adults have them and the best of them (as opposed to the cheap pre-paid ones). And we know how much that costs - even with the best of family plans.

Cars, Car maintenance & Gas: Granted, the Bates don't have as many run-a-wrecks as the Duggars, but they still have to carry state min. liability ins. Gas tends to run higher in small towns and most of their cars are the mid-size. the college ones have to be filling up quite often just to commute to school and they are so far out, gas just doesn't last as long. And most likely all of those tree trucks/chainsaws/chippers run off of gas. And then there is a little ins boost when a tween gets their license. I suppose Gil and the boys can do routine car upkeep/services but what about big ticket items like tires, engines, transmission? the parts price alone can set a person into shock. The price of a set of tires on some cars run close to $1000.

Internet: with any many people who could be on the internet at one time and given where they are, that too is a bill that isn't going away.

I'll leave clothing (for all seasons) & shoes, co-pays, dental/vision, life/disability ins, charity (church offerings, red cross, etc), investments/savings, property taxes for someone else to comment on..  ☺

Edited by sATL
  • Love 7

sATL: You forgot to mention flying to the Bahamas and staying at a resort for their 30th wedding anniversary....yes, with the Duggars...JB flew them in the D's own plane, but fuel is quite costly from Tennessee to the Bahamas. I don't think tightwad JB Duggar paid for all the fuel himself.

• Love 7

Does anyone remember how happy Kelly was when their old house was being added on to? I remember that Kelly was thrilled when the supplier upgraded her with the beautiful front door she really wanted at no 'extra' cost. Well, has anyone noticed that lovely front door recently? I was shocked to see the beat up condition that is in. That beautiful door was knicked up, scratched and in poor condition. I find it inexcusable that these two didn't teach their children to respect their home and the things in it. They run the things in their home in to the ground by being careless and hard on things. My parents would have let me have it with the first little scratch in our front door and I would have got the message right away. To this day, I have things 20+ years that are still in good condition because I respect and appreciate what I have. Isn't that part of being 'grateful' for things you have been given or worked for yourself? I think so. ALSO, I noticed the horrible condition their front porch ceiling fans are in. They live like slobs. No wonder Alyssa couldn't wait to get out of there. The married daughters seem to want something a little better than that.

• Love 5

Even if Dr. Vick waives his fee, they'd still have to cover the hospital costs, no? 

I don't think it would be an issue for Zach and Whit because he has benefits through his job, but I don't see how Chad and Erin are swinging it unless he just pays for insurance for her and the rest of their family goes without coverage. 

I also think thrift store shopping went out the window a long time ago. Maybe they still do it for the boys, but all those nice dresses and shoes Carlin, Katie and Josie wear look brand-new. 

Gil did mention striking a deal with their orthodontist where he did tree work in exchange for the kids' braces and he also mentioned grifting from friends and family to cover the cost as well.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I'd be shocked if Gil and Kelly ever paid Lawson back for buy groceries for their family.

I don't think they did either. Lawson did say Zach paid him back for the car loan and Erin paid him back for tuition, but he never mentioned his parents. I don't have an issue with an adult child living at home being expected to contribute towards the household, but IIRC, he was turning over his entire paycheck, which is absurd. If I were a parent, I'd have my kid pay rent but I'd also want him to use a portion of his paycheck to save and invest towards his future. Then again, I'd never have a bazillion kids if I couldn't afford them, so...

• Love 6
On 4/21/2018 at 3:12 PM, sATL said:

I've been trying to figure how how all of the marrieds , except Zach/Whitney; Alyssa/John, survive financially. 

What do you mean exactly?  Michaela and her husband (brain fart on his name) both work, I read she's a nanny and he does his ministry stuff.  While that doesn't pay great, it still pays.

Erin and Chad, Erin does piano lessons and Chad was working where ever Tori's now husband is currently working and now Chad went into business for himself with construction work, which can make a pretty penny.  None of them seem to live above modest means. 

And I'm sure they all get some sort of royalties. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I don't think they did either. Lawson did say Zach paid him back for the car loan and Erin paid him back for tuition, but he never mentioned his parents. I don't have an issue with an adult child living at home being expected to contribute towards the household, but IIRC, he was turning over his entire paycheck, which is absurd. If I were a parent, I'd have my kid pay rent but I'd also want him to use a portion of his paycheck to save and invest towards his future. Then again, I'd never have a bazillion kids if I couldn't afford them, so...

I agree. If it was any other parents the adult child should pay rent or something or put money towards his or her future. But since this is Gil and Kelly who grift from everyone and constantly claim their kids are always "volunteering" to do their parenting jobs I highly doubt they'd payback their son. Of course in most cases parents actually have jobs to support and are the ones supporting and raising their kids. So if they ever do have to borrow from their son they do make sure to pay them back. Or the son (or daughter) doesn't mind helping out every once in awhile. In the Bates case the parents are unemployed grifters who don't do anything.    

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4

I am in the camp that the Bates family and Duggar family both use CHM for healthcare needs. It's fairly inexpensive and has fabulous pre and post natal care. My husband and I both have looked into it as the costs of the ACA are absurd. Better coverage that most "good" insurance companies out there. 

The Bates gave economics as the reason none of their adult single children move out? Nonsense. They are all liars and are skirting their real truths here. The REAL reason is because it is against Gothard beliefs for ANY children, adult or not, to have any life of their own. Single adults go from their parents' homes to their own homes. PERIOD. It would be sinful for them to do anything other than that because they would NOT be under the umbrella of authority of their FATHER. Why do you think those poor guys have to ask the fathers' permission to even say hello to their single daughters? Gil has to give permission even for this. The daughters really have no say. I also agree that it serves the parents quite well having all those servants at home. How do you think Gil and Kelly travel so much by themselves? Babysitters, built in, at the homestead.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, gunderda said:

What do you mean exactly?  Michaela and her husband (brain fart on his name) both work, I read she's a nanny and he does his ministry stuff.  While that doesn't pay great, it still pays.

Erin and Chad, Erin does piano lessons and Chad was working where ever Tori's now husband is currently working and now Chad went into business for himself with construction work, which can make a pretty penny.  None of them seem to live above modest means. 

I mean coming out on the positive side - to have a little left over for long term savings, emergencies or even just fun, once all bills are paid. It just seems like when you add up just basic food-shelter costs, that has to eat in greatly into their budget.  A few months of winter gas bill in the midwest is no joke. I know people with GOOD paying jobs struggle with a mega gas bill for a few months.

I really was starting the analysis with Gil and Kelly. I can see Tori and Bobby being in the same with Z&W - if she can teach somewhere full time once she graduates school.

As far as the job at the scrap metal place- yeah I could see Chad making an ok living for one.. maybe two.. but for 4 people? What was Chad's title at the scrap yard? I thought he worked in the office, as opposed to being out in the yard. We might can guess-tamate what he made by looking at job sites like indeed.com. Kiddies do need to go to the pediatrician. And what if the babies need formula in addition or instead of breast milk? Diapers? Are the basic shots still free at the health department? Then there is a the puppy (and any other animals) - I can't quote figures but shots and food... that adds to the budget..

I don't know - I never thought of myself as someone or anyone close to me who lives the high life but no way it would work supporting an "unlimited" number of people  - esp. so young in age.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, sATL said:

I mean coming out on the positive side - to have a little left over for long term savings, emergencies or even just fun, once all bills are paid. It just seems like when you add up just basic food-shelter costs, that has to eat in greatly into their budget.  A few months of winter gas bill in the midwest is no joke. 

Most people live paycheck to paycheck in this country, so I don’t think it says anything about any of them if they don’t have anything for a rainy day. People can work hard and still be counting the days to payday. It’s just the reality of the cost of living in this country, even for this with what are considered good jobs. The Bates Family lives in an area that has a lower cost of living but what they make is likely lower as well. I make a great salary but i live in a very high cost of living area. If I lived where they live, I probably wouldn’t even make half of what I make now. Due to the fact that UP is a smaller cable outfit, the money probably helps Erin and her siblings with extras but it’s not something that’s a life changer or allows them not to work. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, sATL said:

As far as the job at the scrap metal place- yeah I could see Chad making an ok living for one.. maybe two.. but for 4 people? What was Chad's title at the scrap yard? I thought he worked in the office, as opposed to being out in the yard. We might can guess-tamate what he made by looking at job sites like indeed.com. Kiddies do need to go to the pediatrician. And what if the babies need formula in addition or instead of breast milk? Diapers? Are the basic shots still free at the health department? Then there is a the puppy (and any other animals) - I can't quote figures but shots and food... that adds to the budget..

That job probably gave him a decent livable wage.  Their house is tiny and I think someone said they didn't have a mortgage? Chad also did work on the side. he's really good with wood wording and fixing up furniture so I'm sure that gave them extra funds as well. Sure having 3 kids on one income can be tough but i know a lot of people who do it.  They arent any different than most of America. (except they do have extra income from the show)

I also live in the midwest and I don't have a massive gas bill...or a massive electric bill (because i'm not sure i use a lot of gas....) and we FINALLY just got out of winter weather.

I'm not trying to be super argumentative here but I just don't see any of these people living above their means. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, gunderda said:

That job probably gave him a decent livable wage.  Their house is tiny and I think someone said they didn't have a mortgage? Chad also did work on the side. he's really good with wood wording and fixing up furniture so I'm sure that gave them extra funds as well. Sure having 3 kids on one income can be tough but i know a lot of people who do it.  They arent any different than most of America. (except they do have extra income from the show)

I also live in the midwest and I don't have a massive gas bill...or a massive electric bill (because i'm not sure i use a lot of gas....) and we FINALLY just got out of winter weather.

I'm not trying to be super argumentative here but I just don't see any of these people living above their means. 

"Heating costs this winter for Wisconsin’s largest natural gas utility are forecast to rise by 16% from last winter, a We Energies spokesman says.The Milwaukee utility has nearly 1.1 million natural gas customers across the state. We Energies says customers should expect to pay on average about $70 more than last winter, when a typical customer paid $446 for the six-month heating season that started Tuesday and continues through April 30."

Granted this figure goes up/down each season but its a good average. Chicago is offering grants to offset heating bills - if you qualify (link ). No need to have a grant pgm if the heating cost was low.

it's all relative to what you are used to (or want to) pay. I'm sure close to the same figures can be quoted for summer air conditioning in some part of the country.

Didn't mean to imply they are living above their means. If anything, I am wondering how they make ends meet - each and every month. Zack , I can see it, I could see it more if Chad/Bobby was working in the county/city owned scrap yard.

Side jobs are great, and yes extra dollars do and can come in - after expenses, which should include personal labor. and of course there has to be a demand for what one is trying to sell.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
On 4/23/2018 at 9:46 AM, gunderda said:

I doubt they get any royalties.  Reality TV almost never pays royalties.  The "performers" are not guild members so they get paid for making the episodes and then the network owns all rights to the show.

• Love 3

Kind of figured the wedding would be the season finale, but apparently there’s a new episode next week.

I used to like this family a lot, and yet every time the feature is Tori (or Carlin) – it diminishes my like for the whole family bc they are so damn annoying.

I get that they wanted the wedding to be a winter wonderland bc they had seen it in some magazine/social media, but when they show that pic THAT looks like a real winter wonderland.  Tori’s décor just looked cheap for lack of better words.  IDK what some celebrity couple did to have a real snowy woodsy theme to their wedding, but I doubt they chopped down 40 trees and spray painted them.  And the trees were jutting out at such odd angles that when they were walking down the aisle together, the couples were smooshed together bc otherwise they’d get smacked by random branches. Despite that, Zach got smacked, as did Tori and Gil.

You’d think he’d go with “I Robert Smith take thee . . . .” rather than “I Bobby Smith . . . .”

Are his parents even happy – they looked so serious, and not “proud-serious,” more like “uncomfortable-serious” the whole ceremony. 

Whose stupid idea was a unity braid? Tori was being a bitch about it at the rehearsal yelling at him “I hand you this one, you hand me that one,” and he probably for the first time called her out and said “this doesn’t bode well.” Um yeah Bobby – you’ve been thinking with your dick this whole time, she is dumb AND obnoxious, so enjoy that . . .  For a bride who is so dumb and stressed, why not do something like a unity candle or unity sand, which are harder to screw up??

Tori doesn’t know the vows – didn’t know “lawful wedded husband” or “for better or for worse” and then got the giggles in front of 1000 people?? WTF?!  Isn’t every fundie girl taught the vows by age 5??

Bobby’s song was dumb in that way these fundie songs always are – just one long cliché re their song never ending and how they’re in perfect harmony . . . . Not sure why he needed to do that, but he’s got some balls to be willing to sing a dumb song in front of a 1000 people on his wedding day.

Could those 2 be any hornier?? We get it – you can’t wait to get it on.  But it’s unnecessary to be so clear about it, esp given how modest you’re supposed to be.  Evan shows up to help Bobby’s family set up tables etc. for the rehearsal dinner and asks how Bobby’s feeling and Bobby goes – I’ll be fine in a few days.  Um!? Same in his apartment where Tori is doing a TH and says – the next 2 days are going to be horrendous (leading up to the wedding) but the cabin in Yosemite will be heavenly.  And then even leaving the ceremony, the first thing Tori says “let’s just say hi to the people and get out of here . . . .”  And then in leaving the reception, where her family is hugging her and saying goodbye, you can tell she just wants to go and blurts out “there’s soooo many of you . . . .”  Um yeah – 19 kids is kind of your guys shtick – I’m sorry they’re soooo “unreasonable” to expect a goodbye from you after they hauled ass to pull your wedding together – guess you and Bobby will be delayed by 5 min in getting it on at the Holiday Inn tonight, but once you get to your heavily cabin in Yosemite in 2 days, don’t worry, you won’t have to leave the bed for days . . . .

• Love 14

Well said!   It really felt as though Tori was going through the motions (barely) just so she could have her first kiss etc.   These Fundie weddings are so focused on finally being able to touch each other that they miss out on the actual point of the wedding.   Drives me crazy...

• Love 14

Didn't one of the Duggars have problems with a unity candle?

What do you do with the braid? You take it with you?

One of the youngest girls saying how pretty Tori was was super sweet.

"Michaela! Welcome home. Now do this and this and this and this." 

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, XrystalPond said:

I know that Gil does his little shtick with giving the bride away (God, I hate that phrase), but it seems so pretentious to mention how many children you had while focusing on the wedding of one of them. Got it, Gil. You are a horn dog and your wife is fertile. Congrats. Can we move along now?

Kelly is just way too involved in these weddings. Before Michael's wedding (when she was wanting to lose weight), she kept saying things like, "I've got the wedding coming up..." She does realize that she's already married? I get that Tori wasn't into wedding planning, but there were moments when you would have thought it was Kelly's wedding. 

Do these people not know anyone else who sews besides Michaela? I swear I'd give her $100 to say no to her mother's pleading. Kelly probably ordered the flower girl dresses anyway. No way that Tori did that.

Speaking of Tori...When she wasn't giggling like a child, she had serious RBF going on in her wedding. She was very pretty in her dress and the new way she's been doing her makeup since meeting Bobby, but dang she doesn't look happy. Even before the wedding it was like her smile didn't reach her eyes or something. She looked like she was going to get along with her new in-laws who have similar dispositions to Tori. In their case, maybe it is just not appearing comfortable on camera. 

Hey Kelly, the trees looked stupid. That's not a winter wonderland. If they wanted trees in their wedding, they could have gotten married outside or in a church that had a lot of windows.

Is it just me or was this wedding small compared Michael's? Maybe it was the way they shot it, but it looked like half of those in attendance were in the wedding party.

Didn't notice how big/small their wedding looked but it was less than 10 days before Christmas, right? Most of these fundie weddings end up with 1000 guests bc everyone hitches up their trailers and brings their 13 kids in hopes that their kids will mix and mingle over soda and cake and meet their intended, since there is an open invite to the ceremony and the church reception after. But when you throw a wedding 10 days before Christmas, I doubt a lot of people are willing to do that unless they are your super special fundie family friends, not just some fam you met at Big Sandy 11 yrs ago and now admire their fam on UPTv. Holidays are hectic, there is snowy winter weather in some places already making driving a hassle, plus most of these families aren't well off so with the added expenditure required for Christmas gifts/meals in that time of the year, they may not have a few hundred to throw into fuel and a night at a motel to drive half way across the country. IIRC Zach and Whit had a Christmas wedding -- right after Erin and Chad's Nov. wedding -- and their wedding was MUCH smaller. I think it was a few hundred people max and was held in a regular church rather than a mega church. I'm sure some of it was having 2 weddings close together in the same family -- of course the 1st wedding and the daughter's wedding (Erin) becomes the one people attend if they can only attend 1 out of 2; but I'm sure some of turnout for Zach and Whit had to do with the proximity to Christmas.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

They were smart to get a decoy car, if they knew someone had put sardines in the vents of a previous groom's car. That's just NUTS.

http://uptv.com/bringing-up-bates/bringing-up-bates-the-decoy-car/

Wasn't that Chad's car? I feel like the Duggars showed up, JD Duggar PROUDLY announced himself "chief car trasher" and then him, Lawson, Nathan set off to destroy the car. No idea if it was Chad's real car or a rental but in either case, it's effed up bc putting anything into a car's vents is going to cost some serious cash to fix later.

Bobby was desperate for sex, but the more Kelton sees of his lame family -- how is he not thinking, hell no, I'm out??? He doesn't seem nearly as desperate as Bobby to get some. I get it . . . he likes Josie and she isn't like that, but with a family that is so big, loud, and obnoxious, you WILL have to deal with them. Kelton and Josie seem much like John and Alyssa to me -- not into the big obnoxious family thing; John and Alyssa naturally escaped it and only have to deal with it a few days here and there because John's business is in FL so of course they had to build a life there. It won't be as easy for Kelton -- who works for his uncle's business in the area (and even if he started his own - he is from the local area so it's not like he could convince Josie that being a plumber REQUIRES him to move to Florida or North Carolina or something). Hope the 2 of them find a way to carve out an independent life even living near the family bc I don't see them liking these car pranks and other idiotic Bates things.

• Love 5

Tori is an ungrateful, spoiled brat who is way too immature to be getting married. Her family put a ton of work into that wedding and she didn't appear to appreciate it all. Bobby's mother looked like she was two seconds away from storming the altar and dragging her son back to Florida. 

The trees were a bad idea from jump. That church had very narrow walkways and the branches blocked the guests' view and hindered the bridal party from walking smoothly down the aisle.

Did they even serve any food at the reception? The Smiths put out a huge spread for the rehearsal dinner yet I didn't see anything besides the cake at the wedding.

Gil not using Bobby's full, proper name for the vows was tacky. That's the first time I've ever seen that at a wedding. 

Bobby, good luck. You're gonna need it.

The attendance was definitely much lower than Michael's. On the rare occasion the camera did go for a wider shot, you could see the outer sides of the pews were totally empty and there were big gaps in between clusters of guests. They were really late getting the invitations out, so between that and Christmas, I'm not surprised they didn't get a huge crowd.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6

I can't believe Kelly gave Gil a hard time about putting off the trees til the last minute when she was shown unpacking the flower girl's dresses a few days before the wedding & realizing they needed alterations.  

Regarding the trees - I thought sure they would have put clear Christmas lights on them to make them look magical/better.  They should have forgotten placing them in the aisle & put some around the altar. 

Bobby's parents were definitely not into the wedding but they could have looked more happier for the couple & cameras by cracking a smile. I don't want to start a fight over wearing certain colors to a wedding, but if I was mother of the groom, I wouldn't have chosen a black gown.  At least Kelly didn't wear a vest.  

I did notice Grandma Duggar & Deanna in one of the shots.

I don't like it when the siblings speak at the rehearsal dinner like the Bride & Groom are going off to war. It was nice Erin spoke but thought it was weird since she has already left the house.  Like how can she miss Tori when she hasn't been living at at home for a few years?

What was with Tori feeding the wedding cake to Bobby on the long sharp knife she cut the cake with? It sure caught him off guard.  I would have backed away too like he did. 

BTW Tori & Bobby, I don't go to a wedding just to see the kiss & the Bride.  Call me weird but I like being witness to the whole ceremony  - parents giving bride away,  exchanging of vows, rings, music, etc.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, XrystalPond said:

I also meant to add that It's a little late for pleading. It makes them look selfish and narcissistic to think it is all about them.

I loved the way Carlin managed to take a speech that was supposed to be about Tori and turned it into a testimonial about her and Evan, with the spectacular finish of saying she wished it was she who was getting married instead. Seriously, who does that?

I also agree these tearful proclamations about Tori leaving are ridiculous. She's right down the road. The only ones who truly "left" are Michael and Alyssa. 

• Love 8

Thanks for the link! The baked potato bar was a good idea for a winter wedding and that cake looked delicious. But wow, you can tell from Ellie's pictures just how sparse the attendance was. The entire upper level was empty.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Thanks for the link! The baked potato bar was a good idea for a winter wedding and that cake looked delicious. But wow, you can tell from Ellie's pictures just how sparse the attendance was. The entire upper level was empty.

I was married in a very large church.  The balcony was "roped off" for our wedding.  The few that sat up there were the ones that came after I entered the church.  Most people don't sit to the side because the view is not so great, they tend to sit where they can see.

Edited by iluvobx
grammar
  • Love 1

What the heck was wrong with Tori and that wedding cake knife? NO ONE DOES  THAT. I don't blame Bobby to have been apprehensive. I don't think he will really be happy with her after the 'newness' of sex with her wears off. She also doesn't seem very easy to please. His parents seem to know that already; they looked a bit somber to me.

I thought the same thing about Erin's silly speech at the rehearsal dinner. How could she miss Tori when she already moved out herself? Didn't make any sense to me.

• Love 5

I'll be interested to see how this marriage fares after they move to Nashville after Tori's graduation. They'll be pretty much on their own aside from the occasional visit from Lawson or Carlin (Evan lives there). 

• Love 3

Oh, yes, another thing...what the heck was Tori laughing at during the vows? I found that to be in bad taste. She acted like a real bitch during all of the planning for this. She was disinterested in everything having to do with her own wedding...then, when the actual wedding takes place, she can't contain herself with any dignity when reciting those oh, so precious Godly vows. I'll never understand this chick.

I would like to see Josie and Kelton move her to Central Florida and live near Alyssa. I think it would do them both a lot of good to be away from these idiots.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Oh, yes, another thing...what the heck was Tori laughing at during the vows? I found that to be in bad taste. She acted like a real bitch during all of the planning for this. She was disinterested in everything having to do with her own wedding...then, when the actual wedding takes place, she can't contain herself with any dignity when reciting those oh, so precious Godly vows. I'll never understand this chick.

I would like to see Josie and Kelton move her to Central Florida and live near Alyssa. I think it would do them both a lot of good to be away from these idiots.

As far as I could tell she couldn't pronounce the words, "lawfully wedded wife."

• Love 2

I'm not a big Tori fan, I thought her wedding was boring... And Carlin grates on my very last nerve, however, I hope this show lasts long enough to show Carlin's wedding.  I think she is absolutely stunning.  Its going to be getting a little hard to come up with different themes also.  It will be interesting to what she does.

• Love 3

I'll never know why they show so much footage of the wedding prep and so little of the actual wedding and receipt. I would like to see much more of the wedding and reception itself. I don't care to know just exactly HOW they painted those silly trees.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'll be interested to see how this marriage fares after they move to Nashville after Tori's graduation. They'll be pretty much on their own aside from the occasional visit from Lawson or Carlin (Evan lives there). 

Did Bobby get a job in Nashville?