Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Yeah..I can see that. My son is an auto mechanic, and everyone seems to think he should fix all their cars for free, on his one day off.

OMG my husband is a mechanic and yes, it never ends. 

As for Josie and Kelton, I think they are the only Bates couple who may have a different viewpoint on kids. Kelton was 14 when his mom died during childbirth, not only is that a vulnerable age, he's also old enough to remember all of it. I could see Kelton being less kool-aid drinker because of his experience.

Not that they won't have kids---they will eventually, but I doubt en mass. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

I don't know, nobody thought Alyssa would be a baby machine either. She said that 6 kids would be enough, but she's going to end up with a lot more than that if she continues at the current rate.

I agree. I remember that scene in Jane's kitchen when Alyssa said if she had a girl for baby #4, she was done, but it's like how? She's obviously not good at NFP and isn't likely to go on birth control, so I'm truly curious as to how she thinks she's going to limit her family size. Unless John gets snipped, she's on track for at least eight kids. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

We don't know for sure that she won't go on some form of birth control.  It's the mantra her parents sing and that she seems to have followed so far.  That doesn't mean she can't change her mind or listen to Grandma Janie in the future.

• Love 2
On 10/27/2018 at 10:53 AM, BitterApple said:

I agree. I remember that scene in Jane's kitchen when Alyssa said if she had a girl for baby #4, she was done, but it's like how? She's obviously not good at NFP and isn't likely to go on birth control, so I'm truly curious as to how she thinks she's going to limit her family size. Unless John gets snipped, she's on track for at least eight kids. 

For a Bates girl, eight kids and a vasectomy would be world of difference. Eight sounds like a lot to us, but that would be quite a break for her. Especially if she quits at like 30, and gets to experience the seasons of life not all at once. (No baby and grandbaby at the same time.) Alyssa's likely to have at least 14 at the rate she's going. 

• Love 7

A friend of mine was streaming a few episodes while we were working on Halloween costumes. They were from the season before Tori got engaged. Josie did a talking head interview with Carlin on one side and Tori on the other, basically asking if Tori would let Josie do her hair for her wedding. Josie then proceeded to say going into cosmetology made sense to her because after she got married it would be a skill she could use at home. I'm disappointed in that answer. I had hopes that she might be the one to break the mold and be a more modern version of this family's possibilities. 

I get that women have the right to choose the career or non-career path they want. I don't slight anyone that choice. While a good friend of mine elected to quit her full-time job and do freelance projects to stay with her daughter more, I would go nuts with her schedule and vice versa. I need that interaction, collaboration, and feedback in my line of work. And while I love children, including my own, I am just not the right person to be there 100% of the time. I just wish these Bates and Duggar girls saw it as a choice too. 

• Love 6

Robert Ellis Smith IV has arrived on 11/9. Bit early no, they seemed to suggest a Thanksgiving baby? Tori has fulfilled her purpose - in under 11 mos of marriage. There's got to be fundie envy -- some want to vacation on a first anniversary, Tori got to push out a kid and breastfeed - praise the Lord!

• Love 11
On 11/17/2018 at 3:17 PM, Brown eyed girl said:

Josie’s wearing pants. 

9D3F27BF-3E6D-47E3-912F-8BAE317D6C1D.jpeg

Good for her. I wish her parents were more genuine in their statements about the girls wearing dresses and skirts. They claimed early on that the girls and Kelly had felt that "God laid it on their heart to wear skirts and dresses." They use the same language about the girls cooking meals and asking for chores like laundry. I get that it is Gil and Kelly's house and their rules, but it would be nice for them to be honest and say..."We required the girls to dress this way. We asked that Alyssa, Michael, Tori, etc. help with certain chores." Quit acting like everyone made this decision as a group and there was a vote on it. 

• Love 10

So Carlin and Evan aren’t getting married until May 25 2019? How incredibly slow and “normal” of them? He says he fell in love with her in Sept 2016. So courting in the spring of 2017. Engaged in the fall of 2018 and married 6-7 months later? How normal?! Wonder why Carlin and Kelly haven’t been able to hurry this along.

• Love 3

Looks like Carlin wanted to finish school. I'm not sure when Evan is finished, but that was probably the bigger factor in the decision; he needs a j-o-b. I don't think he has been working since he went back to trade school.

Edited by Sew Sumi
3 hours ago, cereality said:

So Carlin and Evan aren’t getting married until May 25 2019? How incredibly slow and “normal” of them? He says he fell in love with her in Sept 2016. So courting in the spring of 2017. Engaged in the fall of 2018 and married 6-7 months later? How normal?! Wonder why Carlin and Kelly haven’t been able to hurry this along.

I'm guessing that was more of an Evan decision than a Carlin one. Carlin and Kelly have been salivating for that ring for a long time now. Girlfriend was practically screaming I do every time he bent down to tie his shoes. 

• Love 4

Oh totally agree it’s an Evan decision. Mother and daughter aren’t even subtle about these things. When he went to South Carolina w them earlier this yr — Kelly was screaming in her shrill voice — Evan buddy the beach is a great place to propose. Same thing she did with Bobby, Brandon etc — clearly announce the desperation. And girlfriend was no better — announcing she had switched from regular college to online classes like a year ago so she could finish school and get married faster. A normal woman would’ve been pissed to leave school a year early and then it turns out you’re not getting married for 1.5 yrs anyway. But fundies that what they’re supposed to do - sit around waiting for the wedding night. I imagine the delay is bc it suddenly occurred to Evan that he’d have to provide and being a lifetime receptionist wouldn’t cut it. He hurriedly took up electrician training but sometimes trade school plus apprenticeship can take 1+ yr before you get a real paying job. Guess Carlin has to wait . . . .

• Love 1

These Bates girls are desperate to be married because they themselves are salivating at the thought of finally being able to kiss the guy. Silly reason to hurry to and marry someone. What if you don't like the way they kiss? You're already stuck with each other. I'm glad this family allows more leeway with their courting children than the Duggars do.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, cereality said:

Oh totally agree it’s an Evan decision. Mother and daughter aren’t even subtle about these things. When he went to South Carolina w them earlier this yr — Kelly was screaming in her shrill voice — Evan buddy the beach is a great place to propose. Same thing she did with Bobby, Brandon etc — clearly announce the desperation. And girlfriend was no better — announcing she had switched from regular college to online classes like a year ago so she could finish school and get married faster. A normal woman would’ve been pissed to leave school a year early and then it turns out you’re not getting married for 1.5 yrs anyway. But fundies that what they’re supposed to do - sit around waiting for the wedding night. I imagine the delay is bc it suddenly occurred to Evan that he’d have to provide and being a lifetime receptionist wouldn’t cut it. He hurriedly took up electrician training but sometimes trade school plus apprenticeship can take 1+ yr before you get a real paying job. Guess Carlin has to wait . . . .

That was the same episode where Carlin spoke to Papa Bill about plans to move to Nashville after the wedding (when there was no wedding planned and no engagement either). Michael wasn't much better with her caveats in her speech about "when we get engaged." Tori and Josie at least kept that off camera for the most part. However, they were both clingy and desperate for that ring. 

Yes, my ex-husband and I discussed that we might want to get married. But we weren't making assumptions and plans when there was not a ring nor a proposal. It was more, "if we get married..." 

I guess it is part of their courtship idea that they are spending time together to move toward marriage. I would just have a hard time being that presumptuous.