Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Demons, Sunday School, and Prime Numbers

• Start Topic

I was very proud of Mary.  Sure, her initial knee jerk reaction was 'you don't need any data other than Baptist data!'  But when Sheldon was serious about researching different religions and determining his own path, she was supportive.  I also like the fact that Mary's faith is respected by the show.  Although the pastor is kind of a dork.  Tam's interpretation of his Catholocism cracked me up.

An episode about comparative religions could have gone horribly wrong, but I think they did a good (and funny) job.  I felt for Sheldon having a revelation about 1 and 0 being the deity of a binary world and being abruptly awakened just as he was about to hear the meaning of everything!

• Love 18

As a Catholic (non practicing) I loved Tam explaining his religion to Sheldon, heh.

I also enjoyed Tam's parents dealing with Mary, and Tam's father explaining how a game isn't a problem, heh.

A cute episode all around. And the dumb boy's father was played by the same actor who played Mike on "Mike and Molly." It was nice to see him again.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Frost said:

How did prime numbers enter into the plot?   I don't remember 1 or 0 talking about prime numbers.

And 0 and 1 are not prime numbers. Old joke: “There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don’t.”

• Love 2
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I love how Missy wound up in Sunday School, too. But not Georgie.

He would have been in a different class, even if he had gone.  I'm actually surprised they hadn't been in Sunday school before.  We saw them in church that other epi, so why wouldn't they have been in Sunday school, too?  I loved Missy waving at every body.  She's so adorable.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, Frost said:

How did prime numbers enter into the plot?   I don't remember 1 or 0 talking about prime numbers.

I think that during the short portion at the end, Sheldon is preaching Mathology to Billy, and begins by discussing prime numbers. Billy enthusiastically exclaims, "Hallelujah!"

9 hours ago, jewel21 said:

As a Catholic (non practicing) I loved Tam explaining his religion to Sheldon, heh.

"This is starting to make me feel bad about myself."

"That's how you know it's working."

• Love 18
12 hours ago, Frost said:

I was very proud of Mary.  Sure, her initial knee jerk reaction was 'you don't need any data other than Baptist data!'  But when Sheldon was serious about researching different religions and determining his own path, she was supportive.

Just like the first episode where Sheldon said that his mother was his Christian soldier, we see it again here with Mary saying that if Sheldon finds that the Devil is his answer, she will do battle with him!  That's what I love about Mary.  Just like any other Mom, she will do whatever she has to in order to protect her kids.  She had quite the challenge in raising a child with Sheldon's intellect.  

I love the character of Billy Sparks (Wyatt McClure.)  His short answers and the look on his face when delivering his lines are priceless!  His Dad was a little off too, so we know that in Billy's case, the apple didn't fall far from the tree!  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Frost said:

Tam's interpretation of his Catholocism cracked me up.

I loved his line when Sheldon said his religion made him feel bad:  "That's how you know it's working".  :)

I was raised Catholic, and we didn't have any Sunday school.  That puzzled me for awhile, until I realized that we had religion class during the week in their school.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

He would have been in a different class, even if he had gone.  I'm actually surprised they hadn't been in Sunday school before.  We saw them in church that other epi, so why wouldn't they have been in Sunday school, too?  I loved Missy waving at every body.  She's so adorable.

They're relatively new to the town, so it might have just not occurred to Mary depending on how things were at their previous church.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Poor Billy. "I know them."

Isn't Billy Sparks supposed to be one of Sheldon's childhood bullies? I feel like we might have seen him being mean to Sheldon in another episode, but my memory is spotty. Looks like they did get along on occasion - maybe the bullying came later? Regardless, I liked him in this episode. He seems more like the type who would get bullied rather than be a perpetrator. I always root for the underdogs and those who get picked on. Perhaps he got mean as a defense mechanism later on.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Isn't Billy Sparks supposed to be one of Sheldon's childhood bullies? I feel like we might have seen him being mean to Sheldon in another episode, but my memory is spotty. Looks like they did get along on occasion - maybe the bullying came later? Regardless, I liked him in this episode. He seems more like the type who would get bullied rather than be a perpetrator. I always root for the underdogs and those who get picked on. Perhaps he got mean as a defense mechanism later on.

He (Billy) did chase Sheldon with a chicken. Maybe that's when Sheldon developed his bird phobia.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

He (Billy) did chase Sheldon with a chicken. Maybe that's when Sheldon developed his bird phobia.

I don't remember the pilot that clearly, but perhaps Billy didn't realize how much that tormented Sheldon?  I mean, Billy loves his chickens and is very simple-minded.  I don't think he necessarily did that with malice, but that wouldn't make it any less upsetting to Sheldon.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

I don't remember the pilot that clearly, but perhaps Billy didn't realize how much that tormented Sheldon?  I mean, Billy loves his chickens and is very simple-minded.  I don't think he necessarily did that with malice, but that wouldn't make it any less upsetting to Sheldon.

Taking my response to the YS/TBBT thread...

• Love 1

1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

Here's the clip.  Looks pretty mean-spirited to me.  But, I think they've decided to go a different way with the character since the pilot.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Here's the clip.  Looks pretty mean-spirited to me.  But, I think they've decided to go a different way with the character since the pilot.

It does look mean-spirited...but it also looks as though Sheldon makes things out to be much more frightening and menacing than they actually are.

• Love 4

I enjoyed that Mary was really the only one concerned about Dungeons and Dragons. Tam's family has lived through far worse and see it as a harmless game. Billy's father is worried about his son experimenting with homosexuality, so as long as everyone is keeping their pants on, he's fine with the game. 

Missy's wave during her introduction was adorable. There has to be an episode with her in a beauty pageant, because it's the south/Texas and it would be funny. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

Missy's wave during her introduction was adorable. There has to be an episode with her in a beauty pageant, because it's the south/Texas and it would be funny. 

Yes, please!!

• Love 3

Speaking of MeeMaw, I particularly liked the interaction between her and George in this episode.  He may not give quite as good as he gets but he tries and she concedes when he has made a worthy zinger.  

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

They seem to have softened Billy up a bit since that episode.  He was mean to Sheldon.  He called him a doofus and then put the shrieking chicken's face up to his, and once Sheldon ran away, Billy said "good girl."  That's an asshole move IMO!  

I like how they're writing George's character, even though we know more about future George through TBBT.  I just read an article on CBS that talks about how they've written George's character for this show.  Although grown Sheldon doesn't seem to have a lot of fond memories of him, they said that we can see through young Sheldon that his Dad wasn't such a bad guy. Last week he saw how Sheldon going to the gifted school was affecting Missy, Mary and Meemaw, so he took it upon himself to go get Sheldon.  He does seem to care for them all very much.  Also,  I feel bad for George because he loved the job he got fired from.  He doesn't seem to be as happy with his current job, so I'm sure he's holding on to a lot of resentment and sadness from losing that job.  That's a tough situation.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I give this episode 10 out of ten because the writing takes the show to a whole new level. Sheldon's exploration of religion makes for very funny gag lines - gentle but still sharp little jabs at faith in general, and some pointed digs at Texas! Though the tone is never offensive, due to Sheldon's charm and innocence, and young actor Iain Armitage's great delivery.
The scene with Meemaw's Jewish friend has some especially funny lines:  Sheldon:  ". . . So there was an opening."
Great shtick!   And a clever bit when Sheldon announces he's just finished reading the entire Bible:  "Ask me which birds are kosher?"
Very funny stuff in this one. Superior to previous episodes, imo, although I've enjoyed them all.

• Love 3

I really enjoyed this episode a lot but the Sunday School had me confused.  IME (Catholic) Sunday School is either held at the same time as Mass and was usually supervised by volunteers or, depending on the circumstances, it was held mid-week and children who were being prepared for First Communion but did not attend a Catholic School would be taken there for instruction.  I found it odd that the Sunday School, was taught by the Pastor.  

On 1/11/2018 at 9:16 PM, Frost said:

I was very proud of Mary.  Sure, her initial knee jerk reaction was 'you don't need any data other than Baptist data!'  But when Sheldon was serious about researching different religions and determining his own path, she was supportive.  I also like the fact that Mary's faith is respected by the show.  

I’m proud of Mary too!

I really love how this show is handling the difference between Mary’s faith and Sheldon’s lack thereof, including his enthusiasm in this episode for researching other religions. Like you said, Mary’s faith is respected while Sheldon’s viewpoint is seen to be equally valid. The writers are skillfully (and humorously!) tackling what can be very tricky territory. 

Also, even though Mary obviously would prefer Sheldon to be enthusiastically Baptist along with her (her initial horrified reaction to him wanting to research all his options was absolute perfection), I like that she’s supportive of him and her comment about “you be the seeker of your own truth” is a great example of why I fell in love with the character of Mary Cooper on TBBT in the first place. 

On 1/12/2018 at 8:59 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

“This is starting to make me feel bad about myself."

"That's how you know it's working."

This along with Tam’s whole interpretation of Catholicism cracked me up. I also got a kick out of the librarian, and Richard Kind as Ira was just the best. “I love this kid!” 

On 1/12/2018 at 9:55 AM, ChitChat said:

I love the character of Billy Sparks (Wyatt McClure.)  His short answers and the look on his face when delivering his lines are priceless!  His Dad was a little off too, so we know that in Billy's case, the apple didn't fall far from the tree!  

Yes, Billy is so funny! And as for his dad, him offering to kill a chicken for Mary and her high-tailing it out of there like her skirt was in fire made me laugh out loud. 

On 1/12/2018 at 0:34 PM, Runningwild said:

I think my favorite part was with Richard Kind.

“You got the job? Good for you!” 

Same! It’s always a treat to see him, and he didn’t disappoint. 

On 1/13/2018 at 2:49 AM, GussieK said:

Meemaw is such a great support for Sheldon. It's such a well written part, and Annie Potts is playing the heck out of it. 

She is! And Annie Potts is killing it! I also really loved her and George affectionately bickering back and forth at the beginning of this episode, and how neither of them were taking Mary seriously about the dangers of the game. 

One small thing that made me laugh: the pastor’s mention of going to a seminar on “satanic leisure activities”. Sounds fun! =) 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BlossomCulp said:

I really enjoyed this episode a lot but the Sunday School had me confused.

I was brought up in the Baptist church.  When I was younger, we went to Sunday school while the adults went to the worship service ("big church" as us youngsters called it!)  We were all divided by age as to which Sunday school class we would attend.   There were other classes for the adults aside from the worship service.  As a teenager, we attended class and the worship service.   Maybe the class Sheldon was attending was a special one since the pastor was trying to convert him.  I was kind of surprised that he and Missy weren't already attending Sunday school.  I thought that was a standard thing with the Baptist churches. 

1 hour ago, SparklesBitch said:

Like you said, Mary’s faith is respected while Sheldon’s viewpoint is seen to be equally valid. The writers are skillfully (and humorously!) tackling what can be very tricky territory. 

On TBBT, Mary usually gets the last word when it comes to religion with Sheldon.  He gets exasperated and gives up the argument, which I endears me to Mary.  No matter what kind of grief Sheldon gives her about what she believes, she sticks to her guns and never backs down with him.  It's nice to see how he is, for the most part, respectful of her.  It all goes back to his comment that his mother "is his Christian soldier."  That one sentence spoke volumes to me.  YMMV. 

• Love 3

I love Sheldon's relationship with his mother now more than ever. They may not always understand each other, but there's a lot of love there.  There's also a lot of indication that Mary's own childhood was somewhat chaotic:  it makes sense that she'd want something different for her own kids. I suspect that as a little girl, family dinners where everyone held hands were a dream of hers. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

I really enjoyed this episode a lot but the Sunday School had me confused. 

I went to two in the same area; I don't remember much about the first except that it was different from the second, so whatever works for everyone I guess.

Children’s church is different than Sunday School. We had Sunday School from 9:30-10:30 or so, then church from 11-12. Kids would be there for the first part, then someone would give a children’s message and then the kids would go to children’s church. 

On 1/15/2018 at 10:52 PM, ChitChat said:

I was brought up in the Baptist church.  When I was younger, we went to Sunday school while the adults went to the worship service ("big church" as us youngsters called it!)  We were all divided by age as to which Sunday school class we would attend.  

I was raised a non-denominational Protestant and we called regular services the "big" church too! Our Sunday school classes were also arranged by age, and the kids would attend the "big" church once a month.

I really like that there are no "villains" in Young Sheldon. His family may not understand him, but they do stand up for their Mighty Little Man. And the Pastor really shouldn't have asked him to take a scientific approach, or he'd have realised what that might entail. I do like that Sheldon's mother really does seem to respect his opinions - even though she clearly disagrees with them.

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:16 AM, Frost said:

Tam's interpretation of his Catholicism cracked me up.

As a Catholic myself, I thought it was a little... let's say approximate (I guess Tam's parents are too busy building their business from nothing to take too much time making him learn the Cathechism), but given it was given about equal serious attention as every other religion, pretty fair.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:49 AM, GussieK said:

This show has come into its own. I really like it now, although I did not like it at first. Meemaw is such a great support for Sheldon. It's such a well written part, and Annie Potts is playing the heck out of it. 

Does Annie Potts also play the Librarian ?

16 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

Does Annie Potts also play the Librarian ?

The one who said she was a Mormon? No, that's a different actress. I've seen her all over the place, but I don't know her name.

6 hours ago, FinnishViewer said:

I believe the role of the Librarian is played by Sara Baker. I know her from Go On.

She also plays Amy's best friend Kylie on Brooklyn Nine-nine.  She's a very likeable actress, and I enjoy seeing her as the librarian on Young Sheldon.

• Love 1

So the endless previews for this series (for its NickatNite premiere) wore me down, even though I've never seen an ep of TBBT.  And now it's my new favorite show.  I am completely charmed by this family.

Love Iain as Sheldon, love Zoe as Mary, love Lance as George Sr, and the opening theme ("Mighty Little Man") almost makes me tear up. I figured out that there's a lot of Young Sheldon in Baby Yoda.

Probably explains the attraction.