Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E12: The Matrimonial Metric

To discover who would be most qualified to be best man and maid of honor at their wedding, Sheldon and Amy subject their friends to a series of secret experiments. Also, Penny reveals her true feelings about Amy.

I get Amy's maid of honor dilemma, but Sheldon's best man dilemma seemed forced.  He has said that Leonard is his primary friend, Howard his secondary and Raj his tertiary.  Leonard being his best man seems like a no-brainer.  Or Georgie for the reasons of not wanting to disappoint his mother that he stated.  But, Howard or Raj, and especially Stuart made no sense.

• Love 21
6 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

Is this the first time on THIS show we have heard the name of Sheldon's brother?  I like how they seem to be coordinating both shows.

Me too. I hope this means we'll get to see adult Georgie on the show soon!

Love Sheldon and Amy when they use science together. Reminds me of how they used to be before Amy's sex urges came.

Amy squealing "BESTIE!!!" when Penny said she was her best friend was everything.

• Love 17
27 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Amy squealing "BESTIE!!!" when Penny said she was her best friend was everything.

And the physical comedy of shoving Howard out of her way as she ran to hug Penny. BTW, is it just me, or was Simon's acting in this episode less Howard-like than usual? Something about his intonation was different. 

30 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Love Sheldon and Amy when they use science together. Reminds me of how they used to be before Amy's sex urges came.

That was the only thing that made the episode worthwhile for me. I find wedding planning boring as hell.

• Love 7

I loved all the experiments! Keeping secrets, cold feet. Howard speaking Mandarin.

Also, Stuart letting us know that he has never really been called a "man" before.

But why don't they style Penny a little better? That shirt she had on in the last scene is something my immigrant mother and her friends would wear because they got it at a garage sale for only a dollar.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

BTW, is it just me, or was Simon's acting in this episode less Howard-like than usual? Something about his intonation was different. 

There was a bit of dialogue in which Raj made fun of Howard, and Howard kind of awkwardly rolled with it. It's almost like maybe Raj's recent meltdown over Howard's emotional abuse of Raj was based on Kunal Nayyar being fed up IRL with his character's being belittled, and Simon Helberg is reacting to that rather than just having his character react. But, then again, Simon Helberg is, IMO, always the professional actor, so maybe Simon's just giving Howard a little character adjustment post the Raj-and-Howard-kerfuffle.

Edited by shapeshifter
Typos and nuance
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Also, Stuart letting us know that he has never really been called a "man" before.

Did he say that?  I thought he said he had never been called "best" before.  

• Love 2

I was also wondering about Penny's hair. It was very distracting.

Amy's "bestie!" was funny. Over the years, she's developed a more realistic view of Penny, but deep down, I guess she  never let go of the fantasy of being besties with the popular girl.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, truebluesmoky said:

I loved that they allowed Penny to have a genuinely good personality trait - actually listening to Amy and retaining information about her family and life. I was so worried they would take that away somehow, but they let it be known that Penny is a good friend to Amy.

Can't speak to this episode yet because I forgot yesterday was Thursday!  but this makes me happy. The episode from last year where we find out that Penny remembered the secret language Amy taught her was so nice because it made us realize that Penny genuinely cares about Amy and is willing to do things with her, and for her, that she wouldn't have done otherwise, so knowing that she actively listens to Amy and remembers the details of her life - a very good thing :).

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Sadly, he did.  Stuart is the Eeyore of the group.   Woe is me!

Stuart said both.....he has never been a best anything before,  and then he mumbled that he had also never been called a man before either.  

Eeyore is a PERFECT description!   Thank you Chitchat!!!

I was kind of bored with the tests, but I love Amy when she is happy because she is pure joy. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Me too. I hope this means we'll get to see adult Georgie on the show soon!

Me too. I want to see the whole family (Mom, Missy, Georgie and Meemaw if she is still alive) attend the wedding.

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

There was a bit of dialogue in which Raj made fun of Howard, and Howard kind of awkwardly rolled with it. It's almost like maybe Raj's recent meltdown over Howard's emotional abuse of Raj was based on Kunal Nayyar being fed up IRL with his character's being belittled, and Simon Helberg is reacting to that rather than just having his character react. But, then again, Simon Helberg is, IMO, always the professional actor, so maybe Simon's just giving Howard a little character adjustment post the Raj-and-Howard-kerfuffle.

I noticed that they are styling Raj's hair a bit more like Kunal's actual style.  I didn't know that Kunal was fed up with the way Raj is portrayed.   I think they should have pursued the storyline with the university cleaner that he had 1 date with.   

Seeing Howard speak Mandarian was funny.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, greekmom said:

Me too. I want to see the whole family (Mom, Missy, Georgie and Meemaw if she is still alive) attend the wedding.

If Meemaw were dead they would have addressed this.  Sheldon (aka Moonpie) adores his grandmother!

• Love 6

This episode had a first for this season-I laughed twice!

"Are Sheldon and Amy acting weird?.....I don't think its acting" actually made me laugh out loud and there was one other clever line. Easily the most enjoyable episode of the year.

Is this the first time on THIS show we have heard the name of Sheldon's brother?  I like how they seem to be coordinating both shows.

I give them credit for continuity, which has not traditionally been a strong suit for this show. The fact they are cross selling is just an added benefit.

• Love 4

This was easily the best show of recent seasons (plural). I absolutely love that Amy is actually honest to goodness Penny's best friend. That made my heart melt when she stormed in a demanded to be maid of honor because dammit, you're my BEST FRIEND! (hands on hips). Awwww...then Amy's "BESTIE!!!" LOVED that....this is definitely a re-watcher...haven't been many of those lately.

Howard speaking Mandarin with that Jewish accent cracked me up, it was so cute.

Haven't said this in years...

LOVED IT!!!!!

• Love 13

If I'm not mistaken then yes, this is the first time they have ever said the name of Sheldon's brother. Which I have always found weird considering we've actually met his sister, his mother, and his meemaw. I also think it's weird we've never met Leonard's brother.

I didn't know that Kunal was fed up with the way Raj is portrayed. 

I think the original poster was just speculating on the impetus in the storyline and Raj's new look. I'm not aware of any backstage grumbling on the part of the actor who plays him. 

• Love 1

Maybe it's just me, but the show has felt as fresh as it has in a long while this season, with some truly fun plots. This week was sure an example of that. Even though you can see what's transpiring and know where the laughs are coming from, they still hit pretty well! Everyone seems a little more energized too!

I think we're really seeing how far some of these folks have evolved as actors. Kunall and Simon especially, but it seems like Kaley has been given more freedom to roam herself. She's always been excellent at the genuine laugh reactions, but this week her conversation with Amy and later "confrontation" felt incredibly earnest too. Not just dispensing the writers dialogue. I hope when Melissa returns to full active duty she gets a bit more freedom to explore too.

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, truebluesmoky said:

I loved that they allowed Penny to have a genuinely good personality trait - actually listening to Amy and retaining information about her family and life. I was so worried they would take that away somehow, but they let it be known that Penny is a good friend to Amy.

I was quite pleasantly surprised about that. I also like her realization that Amy is her best friend. 

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Katy M said:

I get Amy's maid of honor dilemma, but Sheldon's best man dilemma seemed forced.  He has said that Leonard is his primary friend, Howard his secondary and Raj his tertiary.  Leonard being his best man seems like a no-brainer.  Or Georgie for the reasons of not wanting to disappoint his mother that he stated.  But, Howard or Raj, and especially Stuart made no sense.

I thought he was considering Howard and Raj (even before they decided to actually measure) because he genuinely thought one of them might be better at it than Leonard. Basically, the reasoning he gave Amy for doing the experiment was genuine, not just to solve her dilemma. He really intended to choose based on actual ability to do the tasks expected.

That said, I totally expected Sheldon to end up going with Penny as his best man, and Amy going with Bernadette. I can't decide whether I'm glad I was wrong or annoyed because it seemed like a super roundabout pointless episode just to conclude the most obvious choices for both of them to begin with.

• Love 5

Amy's BESTIE was as good as her IT'S A TIARA - Bialik really nails those scenes. Great episode. I liked how Howard was the one figuring out what was going on. I wonder where they are going with Leonard's book plot. If the physicist is female then we might have an opening for Penny returning to acting.

(This is the second time Penny's wearing one of these cute Ted Baker print shirts and this one's not sold out, arggh!)

• Love 5

I don't think I would be offended if Amy and Sheldon were scoring me for bridesmaid or best person potential. 

Maybe the only test that would annoy me was Sheldon insisting his friend drive him somewhere, then not even go into the store. 

• Love 3

I actually liked this one

Very like Sheldon and Amy to come up with such a system to rank potential choices.  ANd I liked the tasks they had them do.

I was wondering how Sheldon's brother got any points to manage to be ahead of Leonard. 

Of course they could have just told them they were doing it, no need for it to be a secret.  In fact that might have been funnier.  Especially with Penny and Bernadette, knowing how competitive Bernadette can be. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I actually liked this one

Very like Sheldon and Amy to come up with such a system to rank potential choices.  ANd I liked the tasks they had them do.

I liked it too and laughed a lot.  I agree that it was totally a Sheldon/Amy thing to do, and I thought the various tests were clever.

As was mentioned a number of times by other posters, I was very happy that Penny showed she was a good friend that actually listened to and remembered details from her conversations with Amy, and the "Besties!!" scene was great.

9 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Maybe it's just me, but the show has felt as fresh as it has in a long while this season, with some truly fun plots. This week was sure an example of that. Even though you can see what's transpiring and know where the laughs are coming from, they still hit pretty well! Everyone seems a little more energized too!

I feel the same way, and it's really quite impressive that they can still find fun new ways to make the characters' quirks fresh and funny, after all these years. 

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was wondering how Sheldon's brother got any points to manage to be ahead of Leonard.

Sheldon's mother wanted Sheldon to choose him, which could be worth many points.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Of course they could have just told them they were doing it, no need for it to be a secret.  In fact that might have been funnier.  Especially with Penny and Bernadette, knowing how competitive Bernadette can be. 

Yes, but, as Sheldon would opine, I suppose that would have destroyed any pretense of it being a controlled experiment.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Zoe said:

On January 4, 2018 at 11:59 PM, LakeGal said:

What has happened to Penny“s hair?  It looked oddly white and fried.

Yeah... Looks good next week though!

So maybe this week was a wig or extensions? 

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Why not just have two Maids of Honor, or in this case, technically and nitpickily, Matrons of Honor since Penny and Bernadette are both married?

Seriously.  That was the easiest solution to me.

I like how Stuart was ok with not being in the wedding rather than tell Bernadette she was not the [Matron] of Honor.  And Bernadette picked Amy because SHE wanted to and also Amy badgered her into it.  Bernadette knows Amy and Penny have been friends longer so it shouldn’t surprise her that Penny was chosen.

I loved so much “Halley can’t reach the liquor cabinet, why is it childproofed?”  *pause* “How did *you* know?”

I’m not much of a Superman fan, but damn if I don’t want the Superman figure that was behind Sheldon when he was in the comic book store.  It looked like a Christopher Reeve replica and I loved the billowing cape.

• Love 1
On 1/5/2018 at 5:10 PM, libgirl2 said:

I was quite pleasantly surprised about that. I also like her realization that Amy is her best friend. 

Something seemed a little off about that to me.  Penny and Amy don't really have much in common.  But I guess who else is there to be Penny's best friend?  I would have thought maybe Bernadette but I guess they've made her too mean.  Choosing Amy as her best friend is probably for the same reasons she married Leonard - their relationship is based on the idea that Amy adores and hero worships Penny.

Remember the old days when Penny used to have tons of friends - or acquaintances, at least?  Now she seems very isolated.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

Something seemed a little off about that to me.  Penny and Amy don't really have much in common.  But I guess who else is there to be Penny's best friend?  I would have thought maybe Bernadette but I guess they've made her too mean.  Choosing Amy as her best friend is probably for the same reasons she married Leonard - their relationship is based on the idea that Amy adores and hero worships Penny.

Remember the old days when Penny used to have tons of friends - or acquaintances, at least?  Now she seems very isolated.

To be fair, Penny doesn't seem to have anything in common with any of the "main" cast--except Bernadette, because they both worked at the Cheesecake Factory and now work at the same company (although they don't actually work *together* anymore).

• Love 2
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

Thanks to the endless marathon on Comedy Channel I've noticed that they have referenced Penny's other friends a few times.  One example was the episode where Leonard is using his mother's book (that Penny read for class) to get out of socializing with her friends.  I think we can assume that a lot more goes on off screen then we are going to see or hear.  If not then none of them have friends other than each other.  With Amy and the guys I think we can accept that, with Penny and Bernadette, no.

28 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

With Amy and the guys I think we can accept that, with Penny and Bernadette, no.

I have no problems accepting that Bernadette has no friends beyond the folks on the show.

Hasn't Sheldon mentioned two on-line friends once with whom he discussed some of his personal problems?

2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I have no problems accepting that Bernadette has no friends beyond the folks on the show.

It depends on when in the series we're talking about!  Early seasons Bernadette was sweet with a tough edge, she had obviously dated before she met Howard and seemed to be a pretty typical middle class university student,  I don't think we were ever meant to think Penny was her only friend.  Bernadette the Bully in later seasons, well, yeah, fair point!  She certainly hasn't made any friends at work that's for sure.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

Thanks to the endless marathon on Comedy Channel I've noticed that they have referenced Penny's other friends a few times.  One example was the episode where Leonard is using his mother's book (that Penny read for class) to get out of socializing with her friends.  I think we can assume that a lot more goes on off screen then we are going to see or hear.  If not then none of them have friends other than each other.

It appears on the show that the main cast spends so much time together, I don't even know where they would find time to spend with other friends.  I doubt that Howard and Bernadette have much spare time with a baby in the house, and another on the way.  

In the past, there have been episodes when Penny and Bernadette would go off and do things without Amy (which hurt her feelings).  So at one time at least, Penny seemed to be closer to Bernadette than Amy.  The main thing that has changed is Amy moving in across the hall.  If I would have guessed before this episode, I would have said Penny's best friend was far more likely to be Bernadette than Amy.  I guess that, like Leonard, Amy has "worn her down".  

I miss Bernadette's old personality - obviously intelligent, sweet, and tough, but kind of clueless when it came to common sense.

• Love 2
On 1/6/2018 at 6:16 AM, Spartan Girl said:

The difference is Eyeore was actually sweet and charming, in his depressing way. Stuart is neither.

Stuart is more like Marvin the depressed robot from the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series.

• Love 3