Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

S04.E08: And the Hidden Sanctuary

Recommended Posts

After Cassandra freezes up during a mission, she decides it’s past time to go on a vacation. Searching for her ideal town, she lands on Havenport, the “Safest Town in America.” At first blush, it seems just what she needed, but is there always a price to pay for unrealistic peace of mind?

Share this post


Link to post

Loved the kid. I loved his secret investigation, his little library, and his refusal to drop his investigation. I would happily substitute him for Flynn. 

Ugh, too much Cassandra.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, HunterHunted said:

Loved the kid. I loved his secret investigation, his little library, and his refusal to drop his investigation. I would happily substitute him for Flynn. 

Ugh, too much Cassandra.

Yes! The whole time I was saying he was a librarian in training!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Ha!  I guess I will sit alone with my Cassandra love.  I don’t care one bit what she wears.  She and Beird can have their own show and I would be in heaven.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

She is showing her age and I do agree, her clothes are a bit too young, but I enjoyed the episode. Loved the kid and yes he is a future Librarian. I laughed at Jenkins with the glasses (going through that at my house right now). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Like most others, a little too much Cassandra for me. I did enjoy her interactions w/ the kid, and, well, I loved that kid and all he was doing. I also enjoyed Jenkins' continued learning about what it's like to be human.

So, the fairy was trapped for 27 years and the town decided at some point between then and now to take down all the stop signs and traffic lights. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Chaos Theory, you and I can sit at the Cassandra table together. I thought this was a lot of fun. Yes, Cassandra can be too manic sometimes (though I noticed Noah Wyle directed this one, and I've found his episodes to lean more toward manic in tone - just like his acting IMO). Yes, her clothes are butt ugly. Yes, her falsetto voice is a little screechy at times. But Lindy Booth is a great actress that I feel manages to bring more layers to Cassandra than what's often on the page. And I enjoyed her scenes with the kid, whom I'd love to see return next season (if there is one). Also, did she do the voice of the fairy once it was released? It sure sounded like her to me, but IMDB didn't have full credits up last night when I checked.

I also loved den mother Eve being so sad to see Cassandra go, and worried about her while she was gone (her hovering next to Jenkins when he called C was hilarious).

Still not buying all this "oh noes there can only be one Librarian" BS after the first season (and possibly the second) were all about the three learning why they were all chosen in the first place - because they each bring something different and necessary to the table. And I still call BS on Jenkins giving away his immortality to Nicole, but whatever. Oh, and can Flynn stay gone forever please?

Guessing next week with the Civil War ghosts will be Cassandra-lite, since it looks like the Librarians has adopted the split filming schedule that most shows unfortunately seem to use in their later seasons.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

So, the fairy was trapped for 27 years and the town decided at some point between then and now to take down all the stop signs and traffic lights. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Humans are adaptable.  Figure after a few years with absolutely no accidents they accepted that as the new normal and pulled all that stuff out.

 

5 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Yes, Cassandra can be too manic sometimes (though I noticed Noah Wyle directed this one, and I've found his episodes to lean more toward manic in tone - just like his acting IMO). Yes, her clothes are butt ugly. Yes, her falsetto voice is a little screechy at times. But Lindy Booth is a great actress that I feel manages to bring more layers to Cassandra than what's often on the page. And I enjoyed her scenes with the kid, whom I'd love to see return next season (if there is one). Also, did she do the voice of the fairy once it was released? It sure sounded like her to me, but IMDB didn't have full credits up last night when I checked.

I'm okay with Cassandra's clothes.  I have a weird head-canon that Cassandra went into a coma around age 15 and only came out of it shortly before the series started but had to work in the hospital because of her medical bills.  So, despite closing in on middle age, Cassandra still tends to think, talk and dress like a giddy teenager.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

^^ I always figured that learning about the tumor stunted her emotional growth, and in many ways left her a teenager (as Ezekiel touched upon last week when he told off about the pranks). So I can understand the odd clothing choices, and the show itself acknowledges that her clothes are, let's say unusual, so I can live with that. Doesn't stop me from commenting when they're ugly, though. ;)

Though, the more I think on it, what bugs me the most about her clothes is the fact that in last season's vampire ep it was strongly hinted by the end that, having resolved the tumor issue, she was finally starting to grow emotionally and leave behind the scared teenager with the death sentence - which was reflected in her choice of a more mature looking outfit at that episode's end. And now the show acts like that whole little arc never happened, and we're back to little girl clothes, which irks me. I hate it when shows regress their characters after making a point to let them grow (major stinkeye goes to this season of Lucifer on that count).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I like Cassandra (although I also prefer episodes with everyone working together) so I thought this was a fun episode. I enjoy her enthusiasm, and I liked her realizing that she wanted to be a Librarian even without a possible death sentence. I also liked the kid, and I definitely thought that he had future librarian potential. Cassandra clearly agrees! 

Its Lena from The Fosters! No wonder she is scared for her kid, her kids are constantly getting arrested, stalked, severely injured, or almost murdered by pimps. I would be paranoid too. I liked how the episode played out, and how they solved the problem of the week, and how they town is shown adapting. It was a bit like last week, where there were people/magic creatures doing bad things, but weren't actually evil, and things worked out peacefully with pretty much everyone winning and learning a lesson. 

I am enjoying the subplot of Jenkins being mortal and how all of his human problems are catching up with him, but I am still worried. They better not be setting up for Jenkins to die at the end of the season...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

^^ I always figured that learning about the tumor stunted her emotional growth, and in many ways left her a teenager (as Ezekiel touched upon last week when he told off about the pranks). So I can understand the odd clothing choices, and the show itself acknowledges that her clothes are, let's say unusual, so I can live with that. Doesn't stop me from commenting when they're ugly, though. ;)

Though, the more I think on it, what bugs me the most about her clothes is the fact that in last season's vampire ep it was strongly hinted by the end that, having resolved the tumor issue, she was finally starting to grow emotionally and leave behind the scared teenager with the death sentence - which was reflected in her choice of a more mature looking outfit at that episode's end. And now the show acts like that whole little arc never happened, and we're back to little girl clothes, which irks me. I hate it when shows regress their characters after making a point to let them grow (major stinkeye goes to this season of Lucifer on that count).

I hate being a this-er, but THIS! Cassandra was dressed more mature and Lindy even pitched her voice down a little. It seemed like they were making her a little bit more mature and confident.

Additionally, Cassandra's voice was significantly lower in season 1. Her clothing wasn't as garish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

A bit of a strange episode since while they've done character-centric episodes all the time, this was pretty much all Cassandra and barely anyone else, outside of Jenkins popping up when the time called for it.  Safe to say that this has the be the easiest paychecks Rebecca Romjin, Christian Kane, and John Harlan Kim ever made.

Still, it had its moments.  Freddy was pretty fun and the child actor did a good job.  I liked that Weeks wasn't bad and his motives were pure of heart, even if it ended up backfiring.  And while Cassie did do some of her more annoying antics, it seems like there was decent growth with her having to overcome her fears and learn that she does actually want to be a Librarian.

Jenkins now needs glasses.  I'm worried that this is setting things up for something very bad...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Still not buying all this "oh noes there can only be one Librarian" BS after the first season (and possibly the second) were all about the three learning why they were all chosen in the first place - because they each bring something different and necessary to the table.

I'm not a fan of single episodes, but I think introducing that the Librarians can get a little PTSD is fair. What I took away from this was that Cassandra needed to learn on her own that she's just as qualified to be a Librarian as the rest, which I think no one here really doubts. I think this could have been a A plot with a B plot back in the Library to get the same point across though. 

TBH the whole "there should only be one Librarian" just seems like manufactured drama. Literally no one here buys it as a dramatic device. 

Cassandra and the kid were great together though, and the resolution involved Cassandra getting everyone to work together, so I appreciate the team aspect coming though. 

Mad fairy though! Shooting fire!!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Sherri Saum from The Fosters! Loved the kid...he is definitely going to be a recruit for the Library. Loved his secret room. 

Cassandra usually annoys me but she didn't bug as much this time. I prefer stories when all 3 Librarians and Baird work together. 

Share this post


Link to post

I liked it, though like others, I enjoy the dynamics of the whole team rather than isolated stories. I don't have problems with Cassandra's clothes. I live in a town with a lot of retirees, and there are some who still dress in the colorful way they used to when they were young. Looks silly, but hey, sometimes when you find the style you like, that makes you feel "you", you stick to it. 

The boy was great. And I enjoyed the pie/quilt lady being bugged by Cassandra's excellence and overshadowing her.

"Baking is chemistry" is the reason I hate baking. LOL.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

"Baking is chemistry" is the reason I hate baking. LOL.

I have to disagree. Anyone can just follow a recipe. A good cook will tell you that it's only a guide though. You're supposed to veer side to side of the recipe to find new ways to make the dish. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I have to disagree. Anyone can just follow a recipe. A good cook will tell you that it's only a guide though. You're supposed to veer side to side of the recipe to find new ways to make the dish. 

But see, that’s not what I’ve been told. A friend who’s a working biologist - and a little oddball, which endears her to me - is a great baker and says one must NOT veer from the recipe unless it’s to substitute something that’s very close to the original — say, cherry pie filling for apple.  She says measurements must be PRECISE and tools should be at certain temperatures (depending on the recipe)....

I like that they’re not trying to hide Ms. Booth’s very minor signs of maturity and don’t mind the miniskirts and singlets and patterned tights. If - as some guess - she and Jenkins are going to tether to The Library, it could be quite dramatic to watch her morph from a quirky-childish appearance to one of elegance and  gravitas as would be required. Remember when she played a different role (maybe Queen Of Hearts?) in an episode and was royally clothed and dignified? Ms. Booth can act, and the show runners can pull it off. 

Just please don’t mess with Jenkins. 

Subject change: could the show be featuring one librarian per episode as part of the arc of whether D. Dare’s prediction was true or not?

Another subject: Was Galahad always immortal? If not, when/how did he become so? I didn’t watch the movies and am distracted during the tv series, don’t catch all the details. 

Thank you!!

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I have to disagree. Anyone can just follow a recipe. A good cook will tell you that it's only a guide though. You're supposed to veer side to side of the recipe to find new ways to make the dish. 

That's the way I am with cooking - and I'm a really good cook.

Baking, however, is a delicate balance of ingredients and chemical processes, in my experience. Some people do "get" that balance without thinking much about it, and are great bakers. Perhaps you are one of those. I am not. I suck at baking (though I admit, my cookies got better once I got one of those cookie sheets that have the air pocket, or whatever it's called).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, ganesh said:

TBH the whole "there should only be one Librarian" just seems like manufactured drama. Literally no one here buys it as a dramatic device. 

1 hour ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

could the show be featuring one librarian per episode as part of the arc of whether D. Dare’s prediction was true or not?

 

I feel like the show isn't quite smart enough to have these single librarian episodes be the fulfillment of Dare's prediction. I keep waiting for the hints that Cassandra is going to turn into a magical antagonist for the team to pay off. She has fundamentally different beliefs about magic and the role of the library. At some point, things will come to a head. I'd rather the show explore things like that. That's real drama and conflict.

Also you can deviate with baking, but not significantly. The best recipes for baked goods use weights.

Edited by HunterHunted

Share this post


Link to post

The problem is though that they did the episodes where each was the single Librarian, and the conclusion was very definitive that all three were chosen precisely because they should be working together. Then, they did another episode where Flynn was acting like the only librarian and was going to sacrifice himself, and the other three worked together to figure out a solution. 

THEN this season when Flynn The Librarian and Eve were trapped in the nior movie, they kept repeating and repeating until the other three AGAIN worked together to get them out of the movie.

So this question has been definitively answered for me and is manufactured drama because it's covering ground already clearly addressed. Dare saying there should only be one Librarian seems more like old man yelling at cloud than anything. Eve flat out said he was wrong.  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Jenkins also says he was wrong. I believe the custodian of the library would know. Especially one that has been there as long as he has.   The other two brothers fought rather than work together. That makes all the difference. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Lindy Booth has also starred in various Hallmark Channel Christmas romance movies with the general theme of "newcomer arrives, finds love and makes a pretty good place even better."  For my part I think those Hallmark Christmas movies Lindy Booth does could be even better if at the climax Lindy's characters not only found love but had to deal with angry fairies flying around blasting the holy living fuck out of everything in sight.

Edited by johntfs
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, johntfs said:

Liindy Booth has also starred in various Hallmark Channel Christmas romance movies with the general theme of "newcomer arrives, finds love and makes a pretty good place even better."  For my part I think those Hallmark Christmas movies Lindy Booth does could be even better if at the climax Lindy's characters not only found love but had to deal with angry fairies flying around blasting the holy living fuck out of everything in sight.

Having just survived a season of those adorably predictable dramas (“cue the CGI snow!”) because of Housemate Ninja, I thoroughly enjoy and endorse your addition of angry fairies!

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/11/2018 at 2:11 PM, Loandbehold said:

So, the fairy was trapped for 27 years and the town decided at some point between then and now to take down all the stop signs and traffic lights. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

If nobody cared, that's plenty of time for the signs to quietly find their way into dorms, garages and rec rooms. The traffic lights may have come down as they needed repair, but just sat around; no hurry fixing them.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/10/2018 at 10:29 PM, HunterHunted said:

I would happily substitute him for Flynn. 

Yes, please!

On 1/11/2018 at 3:00 PM, Maelstrom said:

^^ I always figured that learning about the tumor stunted her emotional growth, and in many ways left her a teenager (as Ezekiel touched upon last week when he told off about the pranks). So I can understand the odd clothing choices, and the show itself acknowledges that her clothes are, let's say unusual, so I can live with that. Doesn't stop me from commenting when they're ugly, though. ;)

Though, the more I think on it, what bugs me the most about her clothes is the fact that in last season's vampire ep it was strongly hinted by the end that, having resolved the tumor issue, she was finally starting to grow emotionally and leave behind the scared teenager with the death sentence - which was reflected in her choice of a more mature looking outfit at that episode's end. And now the show acts like that whole little arc never happened, and we're back to little girl clothes, which irks me. I hate it when shows regress their characters after making a point to let them grow (major stinkeye goes to this season of Lucifer on that count).

What bugs me (other than the ensembles themselves) is that they’ve always felt disingenuous to me. Like, Kimmy Schmidt’s outfits annoy me, but feel authentic to the character. Cassandra’s outfits feel like the wardrobe team is a pair of teenage boys dressing their manic-pixie-dream-Barbie. Maybe they’re going for the teen trying to be sexy thing, but it . . . idk ??‍♀️

22 hours ago, ganesh said:

I'm not a fan of single episodes, but I think introducing that the Librarians can get a little PTSD is fair. What I took away from this was that Cassandra needed to learn on her own that she's just as qualified to be a Librarian as the rest, which I think no one here really doubts. I think this could have been a A plot with a B plot back in the Library to get the same point across though. 

I concur. It also felt out-of-the-blue; I wish we had a full episode for the temple freeze-up so the stakes could have been higher.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The kid could totally be a Librarian someday, but I've felt that way about most of the kids that have had a significant impact on the plots of episodes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought it was interesting that the fairy getting free and the deal unraveling really was Cassandra's "fault."  If she'd taken a plane or bus to get to Havenrock, things would likely have been fine (though it time she'd still have discovered the situation because the kid wasn't going to leave it alone).  Because she used the magic door (which was dumb on it face because how does she explain getting there), she punctured the bubble and ultimately set up the release of the fairy.

Speaking of, the way they dealt with the fairy was a bit foolish.  Sure it fled for now, but now this powerful magical being is afraid.  Did no one watch Star Wars?  Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the fairy coming back and blowing the holy living fuck out of the town where it got scared.

A smarter way would have been to remind that fairy that she/it chose to grant the open-ended wish and that by attacking the town it promised to protect it had broken faith with its magic, but that it would be forgiven and its freedom restored if it forswore attacking the town an its residents from this point forward.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I like Cassandra; I mean I don't love her and seek out episodes that feature her but she doesn't grate on me either not the character or the clothes (distracting sometimes but that's it).  So I pretty much liked the episode.  The kid was great, can he get a follow up episode as some sort of junior guest librarian?  Ezekial was distracting in the sleeveless shirt - like most male characters that are written "brainy" and dressed a certain way you tend to forget they're usually pretty muscular.  I was more expecting spaghetti arms.

I don't get the whole "one librarian" thing either - it seems wildly obvious that the only reason the two librarians in the story went head to head was they both wanted power and the library to themselves.  It's like Edward Wilde (Kyle MacLachlan's character from the first movie); if a librarian is going to go bad it doesn't matter if there's one or several, it's the "going bad" part that's the issue not the number of them.  So they keep bringing up the only one librarian issue but nobody even thinks to ask the others...... Hey do you want to stage a coup or are you cool working as a group?   They answer As a Group and end of issue.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Am I the only one who loves Cassandra centric episodes?

Nope I do too.   I think she is a fun character.   Her centric episodes tend to me the most fun for me.  

Share this post


Link to post

I don't hate that it was a Cassandra centric episode, I hate that it wasn't a team episode.  I resent the Flynn centric episodes because there isn't enough of everybody else, so I guess my favorite episodes are the ones where everybody is interacting and each character contributes.  Last week they went to team building camp and I'd have enjoyed an episode that built on that.  Show them struggling to use some of the the things from the camp.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, lizzyp said:

I don't hate that it was a Cassandra centric episode, I hate that it wasn't a team episode.  I resent the Flynn centric episodes because there isn't enough of everybody else, so I guess my favorite episodes are the ones where everybody is interacting and each character contributes.  Last week they went to team building camp and I'd have enjoyed an episode that built on that.  Show them struggling to use some of the the things from the camp.

This.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/12/2018 at 0:20 PM, Clanstarling said:

That's the way I am with cooking - and I'm a really good cook.

Baking, however, is a delicate balance of ingredients and chemical processes, in my experience. Some people do "get" that balance without thinking much about it, and are great bakers. Perhaps you are one of those. I am not. I suck at baking (though I admit, my cookies got better once I got one of those cookie sheets that have the air pocket, or whatever it's called).

Totally agree about baking - one wrong move can make the whole thing a flop. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I'm okay with Cassandra's clothes. 

I think the wardrobe designers dress her in those manic outfits because Lindy Booth is so dramatically gorgeous that if they put her in more mature clothes, Cassandra would suddenly become the most glamorous woman in the Library, and we know that job is supposed to be held by Col. Baird.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/19/2018 at 1:12 PM, UncleChuck said:

I think the wardrobe designers dress her in those manic outfits because Lindy Booth is so dramatically gorgeous that if they put her in more mature clothes, Cassandra would suddenly become the most glamorous woman in the Library, and we know that job is supposed to be held by Col. Baird.

And also Lindy Booth really likes the goofy clothes and that aspect of Cassandra's character.

Share this post


Link to post
×