Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: My Struggle III

8 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Oh, yeah! Well before Season 9 -- Season 7? Maybe 6? I barely remember all the layers of "blah, blah, blah..."

Colonization was always about the eradication of all life on earth. Which is why they were trying to create human/hybrids which could survive in the early seasons. There were different parts of the Syndicate as well. The one in "Deepthroat" that Mulder saw the ship on was one that wasn't running with CSM's crew.

Carter's "dialogue" tries to make that something revelationary is going on, which is not the case. The Syndicate members that are saying the aliens don't want to mess with earth are lying to manipulate Mulder. IMO, this series is over in March.

Except for season 1, and the fact that we got Krycek, I have hated most of the alien mytharc episodes. I always thought "X-Files" was best when it was monsters of the week. Chris Carter and the powers that be had no plan (much like Ron Moore and the Cylons). God, what a fucking mess the mytharc is. And I hate HATE that Mulder and Scully as romantic partners is canon.

If they really had wanted to resolve the mytharc, then they should have had the damn aliens invade Earth and pick up the story after the invasion, while a plucky band of humans fights back to wrest their world back from the aliens.

Has Gillian Anderson lose a lot of weight over the years? Her face is so much thinner than when she was younger, unlike both Mulder and Skinner who have beefed out (in a good way). At least the show features hot daddy Walter B. Skinner.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm confused.

Is this an alternate reality? Did time get reversed or something?

I figured people would freak out over that William reveal. Since I never shipped Mulder/Scully I don't care about who's the daddy...

Nah. Last season's episode only happened in Scully's head. They went full Final Destination on our asses.

And I would believe even amongst the most hardcore MSR fans, the major source of outrage here is - yet again - the ultimate violation of Dana's body autonomy (with a side of letting Mulder believe he has a son just for kicks). I know that was the final nail in the coffin for me.

CSM seems pretty confident Scully will choose William over Mulder. Personally, I am not so sure. If/when it comes down to it, I think it's more likely Mulder will sacrifice himself AGAINST her wishes, whoever William's bio daddy is.

Edited by neptunewaves
typo
  • Love 4

What. The. Hell. Was. That?!?!

so, lemme get this straight. Last ep of previous season was supposed to be a vision Scully had? And CC just retconned the whole William things as not Mulder and Scully's miracle baby? My teenagers are laughing at how much I swear I hate CC after watching a new episode. 

I knew the fandoms would be imploding and I came here to find out I was right. Wherever the quotes from CC were found about his “plan all along” for it to be CSM's magic turkey baster is pure crap. CC never planned anything farther in advance of his next drag on a joint while writing an episode. 

But like an idiot I will keep watching because I like Mulder and Scully. Even though who I just watched were so not Mulder and Scully. 

Oh!! And did anyone else catch the dubbed-in lines during the En Ami flashback? There was no damned housekeeper that helped bring Scully in from the car and dress her in her pajamas. Those lines never happened. 

Edited by DaynaPhile
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Folk said:

Colonization was always about the eradication of all life on earth.

Except when it's about reducing humans to slaves. Or when it's about saving some of us as hybrid human/alien colonists. Or when it's about converting us all into gray aliens. Because colonization has been about all of those things from one episode to another. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Folk said:

Not to gloat, but I predicted this right after the episode Requiem all those years ago. CSM was having himself some fun and I knew it. He had her eggs on hand and had it ready. Don't forget William turning the machine in the episode William either.

Considering the black oil returns in the finale, my guess the colonization is happening and the other old syndicate fart was just trying to butter Mulder's wheels since they know what is coming. I suspect Scully will leave with William to live their life on the alien planet while Mulder dies. The truth can be a bitch.

There’s so much wrong with the timeline as well as Scully getting tests done. 

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

There's no way he would. But now you have GA saying that she thinks she's done with the show, so where does that leave you, Carter? You're not getting anymore work. She'll go back to the UK and do a play or another miniseries and be totally fine. If the show ends here, I can't see it coming back. Unless the rest of the episodes are so stellar that people write this off. I hope behind the scenes the actors are voicing there opinions strongly. 

The second movie was actually fine. I don't know why they didn't draw from that success. 

I guess it's like Lucas who didn't have someone in their face telling them to dial it back. 

He got bored. It's why M and S were broken up.

As for tonight ep, damn was it bad. The pacing was horrible, so was the editing. Couldn't even enjoy any M and S scenes per say due to it. It was way too distracting. It was truly a struggle to get through, just like reviewers said it would be. I'm dreading MS 4.

And that ending made me want to use a lot of brain bleach. O_O

Yes CSM is lying, but damn. That's one place I never wanted to ever go to.

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

This episode was full of Chris Carter's worst tics and habits as a writer: voice-overs galore, floridly pretentious writing, horrifically stilted dialogue, and yet ANOTHER layer of paranoid conspiracy theory (which, quite frankly, is beginning to seem like wish-fulfillment for the alt-right conspiracy types). Agent Moronica only speaks in aphorisms, CSM entirely in riddles -- what possible reason do these two characters have to discuss their present situation so cryptically? Worst of all, he's creating narrative tension by having Mulder and Scully and Skinner (and probably Miller and Einstein, but who cares?) act completely out of character.

"Seem"? No. Chris Carter IS a hack. I think he has been all along.

CC is making a creepy distinction without a difference. Go fuck yourself, Chris Carter.

Yep. He lucked out a lot as far as I'm concerned. Any episodes that I liked by him back in the day aside.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 2

Oh, I am so, SO in agreement with those who can see why GA wants out. Over on American Gods, she is the actual goddess of Media. Here, she is so incredibly underused and disrespected that I actually find it shocking.

What did Scully get to do in this episode?

1. Has a seizure, and gets carried into hospital and fawned over by concerned men.
  2. Tries to warn Mulder about the real and true things actually happening, only for him to spend the ENTIRE episode (basically every time they spoke) dismissing her, or telling her she's sick and delusional, or telling her to go back to bed, or getting mad at her for taking action without him, even though he's not willing to listen to her or help her take action WITH him.
  3. Spends the majority of the episode in bed while others do all the interesting stuff.
  4. Gets violently attacked, strangled, fights for her life, only for Mulder to show up in the nick of time and heroically save her from certain death.
  5. Practically begs at least two men (not going back to recount!) for help finding her son.
  6. Gets assaulted in her car and injured the ONLY time she dares to leave the hospital.
  7. Is talked about in an extraordinarily creepy way by CSM, who is willing to kill his own son, but not to hurt Scully... for emotional reasons?

I was completely and totally over how awfully Scully was treated this episode LONG before the appalling reveal of William's parentage. CC doesn't deserve her. I completely agree with the poster upthread who said that when The X-Files is over, GA will still be on top, and CC will be done for good. This show seems to have nothing going for it now, apart from GA. CC needs her, and he still treats her this way. And this is all on top of the news from back before S10 that GA was originally offered HALF the money Duchovny was offered to come back for the reboot, AND the news that S11 had an all-male writers room (GA basically went on Twitter and shamed CC into hiring some female writers and directors this season). As I see it, The X-Files could have a future if CC could hand the reins over to someone who actually respects women and can helm a show suitable for 2018, but since that will never happen, CC cannot fall off of our cultural radar soon enough for me.

• Love 16

I knew I wouldn't like it when it began with a CSM voice over. I've been over CSM for years before the ending of the original run.

Until now, I felt that Chris Carter for all his flaws respected Mulder and Scully as characters. Ironically, I feared that the revival was going to taint them or ruin my memories and when it didn't, I thought they were safe. Sweet summer child that I was.

The idea of Scully carrying the baby of that smarmy repulsive slug, the bio father of her longtime partner, is one of the most sickening that TV ever devised; and I watched Oz and I watch Game Of Thrones. Some could argue it's technically less violent than tortures and horrors, but more disturbing to me. I don't know if I can express it well, but  what really gets to me is: CSM couldn't break Scully's mind, so he used her body and reduced her to a womb in order to beat her, satisfy his sick obsession, and stick it to his son (it's my opinion and I'll stick to it). Scully, the iconic "strong smart woman", was used as mere a tool. This is wrong on so many levels, way more than the Emily storyline.

I won't even touch Carter's quote about being impregnated against your will as "not rape".

They made the same mistake as in S10, starting the season with a nonsensical conspiracy episode which led to losing casual viewers. Only this time, they're also going to lose some hardcore fans, imo. I, for one, am going to consider that CSM being the father is yet another of his lies; watch the standalone episodes because word is they're good, and I do not want that fuming pile of turd to be my last memory of the X-Files.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 7

I gotta confess, I enjoyed the episode., even though there were things that annoyed me - CSM (been over him for ages and wished he were dead), and don't like how Monica has switched sides For a mythology episode I enjoyed it. I have no idea what's happening with the mythology to be honest as I checked out on that years ago, and I confess that I tuned out with all the voiceovers. But for a mythology episode is was tolerable.

I noticed that CSM was different in Scully's vision, no Phantom of the Opera mask, he smoked via mouth not throat, is this an indication that Scully's vision was not entirely correct??

And the soap opera twist of CSM being the father of William wasn't as disappointing for me as others (maybe cause I seemed to have bypassed all the William plots in the original series. THe thing that annoyed me the most is the claim the moon landing was fake. That has me more disgruntled than William's parentage.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, GaT said:

That was bad. And David Duchovny has not aged well.

My DD love is intact, and I think he looks great, tho yes, it's startling to watch an old episode with the fresh faced beyond beautiful DD in juxtaposition.

I hated the ending, and keep telling myself that CSM is an unreliable narrator and a BS artist.  I'm keeping the faith for the rest of the season. I'm an Xfile ride or die chick, so I'll see it thru to the end, whatever it may be.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ganesh said:

Back during the show proper, when Mulder got the super-DNA or whatever, CSM telepathically 

They really should have let DD and GA produce the show and just everyone get out of the way. 

Seriously. Crowd-source anyone?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, GaT said:

That was bad. And David Duchovny has not aged well.

I'm telling you guys...in person he looks darn good. To me anyway. Much better than on the show.  Television is just not good medium and the lights and makeup don't do him any favors. I think they are caking the makeup on to try to make him look younger and it has the opposite effect. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, neptunewaves said:

Nah. Last season's episode only happened in Scully's head. They went full Final Destination on our asses.

And I would believe even amongst the most hardcore MSR fans, the major source of outrage here is - yet again - the ultimate violation of Dana's body autonomy (with a side of letting Mulder believe he has a son just for kicks). I know that was the final nail in the coffin for me.

CSM seems pretty confident Scully will choose William over Mulder. Personally, I am not so sure. If/when it comes down to it, I think it's more likely Mulder will sacrifice himself AGAINST her wishes, whoever William's bio daddy is.

CSM's big flaw, especially when it comes to Mulder and Scully, is assuming that everyone is just as selfish and self-serving as he is. Of course he's wrong in thinking he could force Scully to choose William over Mulder, just as he was wrong in thinking that Mulder would choose to save his own skin with Diana rather than Scully.  Scully won't accept those terms, and neither will Mulder.  

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

CSM's big flaw, especially when it comes to Mulder and Scully, is assuming that everyone is just as selfish and self-serving as he is. Of course he's wrong in thinking he could force Scully to choose William over Mulder, just as he was wrong in thinking that Mulder would choose to save his own skin with Diana rather than Scully.  Scully won't accept those terms, and neither will Mulder.  

This is true. 

Also true that CSM is the most un-reliable of narrators, so assuming his claims about Williams parentage are "fact" and that it amounts to medical rape is likely the wrong track to jump on to. Generally, the person to look for clues to about William is Scully. Scully never waivered or got hysterical about the conception of William and in MS III she's still telling Mulder that William is trying to contact him, too. 

I can't agree that DD has aged horribly. Man, have people never seen the general public? Men that are 50+? Never gone to their own class reunions?  I will agree that the make up artists appear is if they've never done a "make up for film in HD" class before---this was noticeable for both GA and DD, particularly in their close-ups.  But other than that, I think DD has aged far better than the average bear. I, too, have seen him in person and he's fine. 

Edited by baileythedog
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, baileythedog said:

This is true. 

Also true that CSM is the most un-reliable of narrators, so assuming his claims about Williams parentage are "fact" and that it amounts to medical rape is likely the wrong track to jump on to. Generally, the person to look for clues to about William is Scully. Scully never waivered or got hysterical about the conception of William and in MS III she's still telling Mulder that William is trying to contact him, too. 

I would have to agree with this. I don't trust CSM and think it's all a lie to get William for some other nefarious purpose.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, baileythedog said:

I will agree that the make up artists appear is if they've never done a "make up for film in HD" class before---this was noticeable for both GA and DD, particularly in their close-ups.

There were a lot of close-ups. Of everyone.  It actually seemed excessive.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, baileythedog said:

This is true. 

I can't agree that DD has aged horribly. Man, have people never seen the general public? Men that are 50+? Never gone to their own class reunions?  I will agree that the make up artists appear is if they've never done a "make up for film in HD" class before---this was noticeable for both GA and DD, particular in their close-ups.  But other than that, I think DD has aged far better than the average bear. I, too, have seen him in person and he's fine. 

Yeah, I agree that he hasn't aged badly.  He was stunningly handsome man when the show started and he's aged like a normal person ages, but IMO, he's still a very attractive guy.  But he's not going to look like he did when he was 35.

• Love 6

Well I guess I'm one of the few that is not terribly upset by this episode.  It wasn't great, certainly, but not the worst I've seen (I'm looking at you, "Babylon"). I'm not sure why anyone would believe CSM anyway, and I have certainly learned over the years to never believe anything CC says in interviews.  Mulder is William's father in every way that matters, and regardless of what CSM says, that is a bond M & S share that he can try to destroy but I don't think he will succeed.  CSM is trying the ye olde "divide and conquer" method to separate M & S because he knows they are bonded over William.  If he can make Scully think Mulder is not William's father, then he believes he can convince her to abandon Mulder and choose William- which seemingly is his plan (or at least what I can make of it from CC's ramblings).  I don't think it will ultimately work and the final truth reveal may be totally different than it appears right now. 

I strongly believe, however, that CC needs a co-writer (like Frank Spotnitz) to rein him in on these episodes he's writing.  His stream of consciousness type writing just doesn't do it for me.  He needs someone to add some logic back into the mix.

• Love 6

Isn't DD about 55? He looks fine. I'm not sure what people expect 55 year old folk to look like. 

4 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

Oh, I am so, SO in agreement with those who can see why GA wants out. Over on American Gods, she is the actual goddess of Media. Here, she is so incredibly underused and disrespected that I actually find it shocking.

I've been staying away from most media on the show but if she's saying she wants out I can understand that. If you follow her on any social media you know she's a big ol' feminist and by that I mean she's very passionate about women's rights. This just might be the final straw in the things that have been done to Scully. For GA and for many fans. 

As far as the episode: What the hell was up with the voiceovers by Mulder? Something just sounded so off with them. Also, I still don't understand what Monica is doing with CSM. Speaking of, why can't anyone ever stay dead? If we are to be stuck with that dried up old husk, why don't we just dig Krycek up out of the grave while we're at it? 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, festivus said:

Isn't DD about 55? He looks fine. I'm not sure what people expect 55 year old folk to look like. 

As far as the episode: What the hell was up with the voiceovers by Mulder? Something just sounded so off with them. Also, I still don't understand what Monica is doing with CSM. Speaking of, why can't anyone ever stay dead? If we are to be stuck with that dried up old husk, why don't we just dig Krycek up out of the grave while we're at it? 

I'm glad Nick Lea hasn't been brought back. For one, I'm happy to not listen to a chorus of ageist bullshit about how terribly he's aged. 

No wonder we can't have roles for actors over the age of 40 in this country. 

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, festivus said:

He's 57. And he looks a lot better than most--no, any--57 year olds I know personally. He's still on my laminated list (which I'm sure he'd be so relieved to know)

Yeah, I still have no idea why Monica is doing what she's doing. Or how Jeffrey Spender looks like himself again, when last time we saw him, he was unrecognizable. Just lots of reconstructive surgery?

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, baileythedog said:

I'm glad Nick Lea hasn't been brought back. For one, I'm happy to not listen to a chorus of ageist bullshit about how terribly he's aged. 

No wonder we can't have roles for actors over the age of 40 in this country. 

Actually, Nick Lea is doing a live action remake of the 90s CGI show Reboot this year, so he will be unavailable for quite sometime.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

And the soap opera twist of CSM being the father of William wasn't as disappointing for me as others (maybe cause I seemed to have bypassed all the William plots in the original series. The thing that annoyed me the most is the claim the moon landing was fake. That has me more disgruntled than William's parentage.

Yes, when I saw the faked moon landing, it annoyed me too. Just more pandering to moon landing conspiracy nutjobs.

I wondered how CSM could say he was the literal father of William right after he said William was going to be the first superhuman.

• Love 1

I feel very zen about this episode. The way I see it, there's no way it couldn't have been bad. X-Files mythology is the textbook definition of "writing yourself into a corner", and that was true even during the show's glory days. It's an unsalvageable mess and any attempt to move it forward can only result in squeezing more tightly and uncomfortably into the corner than before. I have to admit it's very, very uncomfortable now.

They didn't have to bring back the good, the bad and the ugly for this revival, but for better or worse, this is an integral part of the show's DNA. At least we seem to have The Ugly out of the way until the season finale.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Yes, when I saw the faked moon landing, it annoyed me too. Just more pandering to moon landing conspiracy nutjobs.

I wondered how CSM could say he was the literal father of William right after he said William was going to be the first superhuman.

There again, though, I think this illustrates how much of a delusional narcissist CSM truly is.  I don't think we are meant to take what he narrates as absolute truth- just the truth in his own mind.   Remember in "Amor Fati" when CSM believed he was going to be the savior of mankind by removing genetic material from Mulder and placing it in himself?  He has delusions of grandeur- he always has.  Now I do believe he has been a part of many conspiracies over the years, but most of the things he imagines he pulls the puppet strings on, I question.

• Love 2

I don't really have anything new to add to the discussion, I think many people have articulated my feelings as well as I could myself.

Except.

I will never forgive CC for that line "I impregnated her with science." Thomas Dolby and his song are now living in my head and I keep getting flashes of the video as well and they will never leave because it's so oft quoted here (not that I'm blaming anyone but CC for that!). Must drink copious amounts of alcohol when I get home tonight.

• Love 6
Just now, domina89 said:

There again, though, I think this illustrates how much of a delusional narcissist CSM truly is.  I don't think we are meant to take what he narrates as absolute truth- just the truth in his own mind.   Remember in "Amor Fati" when CSM believed he was going to be the savior of mankind by removing genetic material from Mulder and placing it in himself?  He has delusions of grandeur- he always has.  Now I do believe he has been a part of many conspiracies over the years, but most of the things he imagines he pulls the puppet strings on, I question.

Right, that's how I took it.  CC isn't telling us that we should take everything CSM says as gospel truth.   The show has always been clear that CSM is a stand in for all of the old white establishment guys who have lied to us throughout the years, and he explicitly tied CSM to our current political situation in the pictures he used for the voice overs.  I don't think we're supposed to believe that the moon landing was faked because CSM said it is, we're supposed to believe that CSM wants us to believe that because he's an old man who likes to play God, regardless of who he hurts. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, domina89 said:

Exactly.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I expect a 57 year old to look younger/better than a 65 year old. Seriously DD looked bloated and aged, Mitch Peleggi looked like he was still in shape and, had way less lines on his face.

• Love 2

I get the sense that CC doesn't watch much TV and is completely out of touch with what today's viewer expects from a show that's supposed to be one of the greatest of all times. His reliance on voice overs suggests that he doesn't know how to "show not tell".

This episode made me feel like Mulder and Scully have become different characters. To me, it would have been more in character and more interesting if Mulder was the one who believed that Scully's visions were true premonitions and she was the one believing that they were just a result of a seizure/brain anomaly, and maybe she would even start to worry that it was related to the brain tumor she used to have. That would have added emotional drama. And Mulder could be pushing to act on her vision and look for William, and she could be reluctant and not want to get her hopes up, which would have allowed them to explore the emotional implications for finding William after all these years when he's supposedly been living a peaceful life oblivious to his role in this huge conspiracy. Then the episode could end with Scully seeing something that happened in her vision happen in real life, and she would get on board with the plan to find William and save the world.

To me, the show just doesn't feel the same when Scully regains consciousness and is immediately trying to convince Mulder that she saw the future. Shouldn't she have taken at least a second to wonder if it was true? The Scully I know would have at least wondered if maybe she did just have a medical emergency. I think my biggest problem with this show since the 2nd movie is that Scully doesn't act like Scully anymore. 

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, M.F. Luder said:

I get the sense that CC doesn't watch much TV and is completely out of touch with what today's viewer expects from a show that's supposed to be one of the greatest of all times. His reliance on voice overs suggests that he doesn't know how to "show not tell".

This episode made me feel like Mulder and Scully have become different characters. To me, it would have been more in character and more interesting if Mulder was the one who believed that Scully's visions were true premonitions and she was the one believing that they were just a result of a seizure/brain anomaly, and maybe she would even start to worry that it was related to the brain tumor she used to have. That would have added emotional drama. And Mulder could be pushing to act on her vision and look for William, and she could be reluctant and not want to get her hopes up, which would have allowed them to explore the emotional implications for finding William after all these years when he's supposedly been living a peaceful life oblivious to his role in this huge conspiracy. Then the episode could end with Scully seeing something that happened in her vision happen in real life, and she would get on board with the plan to find William and save the world.

To me, the show just doesn't feel the same when Scully regains consciousness and is immediately trying to convince Mulder that she saw the future. Shouldn't she have taken at least a second to wonder if it was true? The Scully I know would have at least wondered if maybe she did just have a medical emergency. I think my biggest problem with this show since the 2nd movie is that Scully doesn't act like Scully anymore. 

But, I mean, Mulder DID believe that Scully premonitions were true. That's why he drove to South Carolina in the first place, because he does believe Scully.  And as for her not believing in them, IMO, that would actually be a regression of where the character was by the end of seasons 8 and 9.  

The basic beats of where Mulder and Scully were in this episode didn't bother me, but the choppy direction - especially in the car chase - and the stuff in South Carolina did.  I would give the episode overall a C.  But I don't think having Scully not trust herself would have been the right way to go, either. 

• Love 3

I could be wrong, but I thought he only started to semi-believe them when he realized he was being followed. 

I don't mean to say that she didn't believe them, maybe that she just didn't want to believe. Kind of like in Elegy where she was seeing the visions of dead people, but didn't want to believe it because of the implication. I don't think that's a regression, I just think it's Scully's character. She defaults to science, but she has seen enough to give credibility to the supernatural. But there's always that reluctance to jump to the supernatural conclusion as a first step.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, M.F. Luder said:

I could be wrong, but I thought he only started to semi-believe them when he realized he was being followed. 

I don't mean to say that she didn't believe them, maybe that she just didn't want to believe. Kind of like in Elegy where she was seeing the visions of dead people, but didn't want to believe it because of the implication. I don't think that's a regression, I just think it's Scully's character. She defaults to science, but she has seen enough to give credibility to the supernatural. But there's always that reluctance to jump to the supernatural conclusion as a first step.

You're right that he started off more skeptical - I think in particular he didn't want to believe CSM was alive.  But at the end of the day, Mulder is always going to give Scully the benefit of the doubt, and it didn't take much for him to start to believe her. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, DaynaPhile said:

Oh!! And did anyone else catch the dubbed-in lines during the En Ami flashback? There was no damned housekeeper that helped bring Scully in from the car and dress her in her pajamas. Those lines never happened. 

I did!

(SCULLY wakes up in a motel/cabin room. She is wearing silk pajamas, but clearly has no recollection of getting there. She gets up and looks in the closet, disoriented. She checks, but she is still wearing her bra and wire.)

(In another room in the cabin, CIGARETTE SMOKING MAN is pouring coffee from a silver urn. SCULLY enters, fully dressed, carrying her suitcase and pissed off.)

CIGARETTE SMOKING MAN: How do you take your coffee?

SCULLY: Unadulterated, thank you.

(She takes the coffee, then empties it out the window.)

SCULLY: You drugged me.

CIGARETTE SMOKING MAN: (chuckling) I did nothing of the sort.

SCULLY: How the hell did I get out of my clothes and into bed?

CIGARETTE SMOKING MAN: I carried you. You'd been up for over 30 hours. You were delirious. I only wanted to make you comfortable.

But, I consider it just another proof that CSM is doing what he has always done -- presenting the truth as he remembers it, or as he wants to remember it, not as it actually happened.

I'm with the two or three others who didn't hate this ep.  I didn't hate it at all.  The voiceovers were overdone, but when are they not.  CSM is not biologically William's father, I don't give a rat's ass what he says, and I honestly had a good laugh at the thought (after a brief moment of nausea - I'm only human, after all).  He may have turned Scully's reproductive system back on in En Ami (which has been fan speculation for 17 years now, btw) and in his typical 'delusions of grandeur' way he believes that makes him William's father, but that's all he had to do with it.

I've speculated this before, but I'm gonna go ahead and call it now -- CSM is a supersoldier and has been ever since they figured out the technology.  I almost jumped out of my chair when Monica called William "his weakness" and he actually looked scared for half a second and said nobody could possibly know that.  If CSM is a supersoldier William would be LITERALLY his weakness because Jeffrey injected William with magnetite in the S9 episode William, and magnetite is the one thing that will kill a supersoldier.  So, yep.  I'M CALLING IT.

We're back, ya'll.  Wheeeee!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Sandman said:

A live-action remake of one of the dopiest, cheapest-looking cheesy CG cartoons ever made? Sounds like our Nick's schedule should be opening up right quick. (Sorry, Nick!)

Which is funny because Gillian Anderson did guest starred in Reboot as a Skully-like character. Nice connection there. The only one not to lend a voice was DD. Scott McNeil was providing the voice for the Modem character.

• Love 1

Well, I can't say that I did not like the episode per se, but it did kind of left me confused. So... Season 10 the last two episodes was... what?

Spoiler

Scully having a brain aneurysm or something and just viewing the future or am I missing something here?

Also, even though I have watched the X-Files from the beginning, some of the characters... I don't know, I was like "Who the hell are you supposed to be?"

Anyway, regarding Cancer Man. Carter should have left him stay dead after Season Nine ended. The whole mytharc of S10 was kinda off, because of it. But, hey, what do I know, I'm not the director of a series or anything...

Also, whose car Mulder was driving? I very much doubt that from ex-FBI agent's (OK, restored agent's) pension/salary he could afford a Mustang. Or is he projecting his inner Hank Moody now?

Spoiler

Also, did Skinner off-screen took the pistol from Monica or Monica willingly gave it to him and I just zoned out during that sequence?

Edited by Rushmoras
Wanted to add something
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, M.F. Luder said:

To me, it would have been more in character and more interesting if Mulder was the one who believed that Scully's visions were true premonitions and she was the one believing that they were just a result of a seizure/brain anomaly, and maybe she would even start to worry that it was related to the brain tumor she used to have.

Not to mention that getting into a car and driving across town when concussed, subject to seizures and barely holding on to consciousness seems much more like a Mulder move than something Scully would do.

I'm not ready to excuse CC completely even if CSM's "revelations" are more about his need for attention than actual reality (which is, as others have pointed out, perfectly in character for him); CC does appear to confirm in his EW interview that Scully's "impregnation by science" (on which, again, shut it, CC) was a real thing.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I'm not ready to excuse CC completely even if CSM's "revelations" are more about his need for attention than actual reality (which is, as others have pointed out, perfectly in character for him); CC does appear to confirm in his EW interview that Scully's "impregnation by science" (on which, again, shut it, CC) was a real thing.

CC has always been about as reliable a narrator as CSM, so that interview doesn't automatically mean the "impregnated by science" thing is true, but the fact he's so casual about the very idea of it is revolting.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Rushmoras said:

Also, whose car Mulder was driving? I very much doubt that from ex-FBI agent's (OK, restored agent's) pension/salary he could afford a Mustang. Or is he projecting his inner Hank Moody now?

Reveal hidden contents

Also, did Skinner off-screen took the pistol from Monica or Monica willingly gave it to him and I just zoned out during that sequence?

My theory is that Mulder is basically pretty wealthy - his father had a house on Martha's Vineyard; his mother had a house in Greenwich, CT.  There was also the family summer house in Rhode Island (which I will never fail to point out makes ZERO sense for a family living on Martha's Vineyard but whatever).  Mulder was essentially their sole heir, so when they died, no doubt he inherited all of that property.  He doesn't exactly live the most extravagant life, so presumably he sold all of those houses for a lot of money (because, let me tell you, a nice big house on MV was going for a lot of money even in the 1990s) and he's let all of that money sit. 

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

You're right that he started off more skeptical - I think in particular he didn't want to believe CSM was alive.  But at the end of the day, Mulder is always going to give Scully the benefit of the doubt, and it didn't take much for him to start to believe her. 

This goes with how I'm interpreting DD's performance. I think he's playing Mulder as kind of just weary of it all but he'll always believe in Scully. I think he played it that way last season too, but it's been two years since I watched so I may be off.

@Taryn74 Your whole post made me feel better. I'm just going to go with that! 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

My theory is that Mulder is basically pretty wealthy - his father had a house on Martha's Vineyard; his mother had a house in Greenwich, CT.  There was also the family summer house in Rhode Island (which I will never fail to point out makes ZERO sense for a family living on Martha's Vineyard but whatever).  Mulder was essentially their sole heir, so when they died, no doubt he inherited all of that property.  He doesn't exactly live the most extravagant life, so presumably he sold all of those houses for a lot of money (because, let me tell you, a nice big house on MV was going for a lot of money even in the 1990s) and he's let all of that money sit. 

Huh, funny, can't remember any of it, even though I have finished the original run of the X-Files in 2015 I think. But that would explain it.

1 minute ago, Rushmoras said:

Huh, funny, can't remember any of it, even though I have finished the original run of the X-Files in 2015 I think. But that would explain it.

It's not like they ever said Mulder inherited all of that property but it only stands to reason, since his parents were divorced (so it's unlikely that, say, his father would have left the MV house to Teena Mulder) and Samantha was missing/presumed dead.  I mean, I suppose they could have had other relatives they left that stuff to but it seems likely that Mulder inherited most of it. That's how I presume he could afford the little house in the middle of nowhere. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, mledawn said:

EW has a Q&A up with Chris Carter where he has this to say about it:

I haven't seen the episode yet but am certainly not looking forward to watching it now. 

The fact that he needs to have an interview to explain what's going on underscores how he has no idea what he's doing.

13 hours ago, Sandman said:

Didn't CC say early in the show's life that he didn't want Mulder and Scully to have a romantic relationship because he didn't want to write soap opera?

He backed away from that in S7 though. 

• Love 1