Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Meri Moving?

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Just a thought. I think the carpets need to be changed out. But we of a certain age are cautioned against throw rugs because it is easy enough to trip over them. Which would probably bring a lawsuit. Also carpeting cuts down on noise. There must be a good alternative to what's there without increasing liability or breaking the bank. 

I don't like the little rugs either, my cats are fond of destroying them. 

I was thinking more along the lines of 8x10 area rugs, and maybe some runners with a good non slip pad underneath...

Also since she's allowing pets and has her own dog, I'd be concerned about fleas in the carpet.

Edited by DakotaJustice
1 minute ago, DakotaJustice said:

I don't like the little rugs either, my cats are fond of destroying them. 

I was thinking more along the lines of 8x10 area rugs, and maybe some runners with a good non slip pad underneath...

Also since she's allowing pets and has her own dog, I'd be concerned about fleas in the carpet.

I think (but not positive) that fleas are rather scarce in Utah.  Here in Colorado I have never seen a single one.  Not one.  Doesn't mean we don't HAVE them - but perhaps the altitude or thin air or something makes them less prolific?   

• Love 1

I've never seen them in northern or southern Utah but I would worry about fleas (or ticks) carried in by guest pets from elsewhere. Carpet of any kind helps with noise. Damn, berber would look nice. Solid, no pattern. Berber, sheers and shutters. If she made it special, they would (eventually) come. :::sigh:::

6 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Nothing wrong with preserved floral but those look like the same wreaths the previous owner had in the rooms.  Time to replace with new ones if that's the way she wants to go. 

I'd do solid colors on the linens with throws or folded quilts as accents. 

Bookshelves filled with books of all kinds, with comfortable seating to tempt guests to relax and browse through a well thumbed paperback novel. 

Rip out the carpets and have hardwood floors with area and scatter rugs. 

I'm guessing Meri's budget didn't extend to that. 

Who wants to bet that their book would be on that bookshelf?

6 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Nothing wrong with preserved floral but those look like the same wreaths the previous owner had in the rooms.  Time to replace with new ones if that's the way she wants to go. 

I'd do solid colors on the linens with throws or folded quilts as accents. 

Bookshelves filled with books of all kinds, with comfortable seating to tempt guests to relax and browse through a well thumbed paperback novel. 

Rip out the carpets and have hardwood floors with area and scatter rugs. 

I'm guessing Meri's budget didn't extend to that. 

Carpet is so disgusting! We're in the process of ripping out carpet and replacing it with hardwood floors. Pulling that shit up makes me want to throw up--what's worse, it's from the previous owners so it's all their guck. Unless you have no kids, no pets, no dust/dirt and wear socks only in the house, I can't see ANY reason to install carpeting into a home. Dirt, stains, germs, skin cells/hair from previous residents, uck. 

Quality flooring is expensive, unless what's underneath can be saved. But I don't care what she does, I'm sick of Meri at this point. I'm even tired of hate watching. She won't shit and but won't get off the pot--same old Mopey Meri continuing her cycle of self-centeredness and deceptiveness. 

2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

On the few occasions we have seen Meri have the family over, they are seen kicking off their shoes at the front entry.  I wonder if 'shoes off' will be a house rule in the B&B.

We had a co-worker, a bachelor, that insisted on shoes off at his house.  Definitely not something we do at my house.  He's the only one that I've ever visited who did that.  I have mild OCD myself, but not to that degree.  He's now 50 and still single.  When in Rome, I guess.  I don't have wall-to-wall carpeting, I have wood floors (mid-20th century house) and I use area rugs.  I don't mind vacuuming when needed.  YMMV

Just now, xwordfanatik said:

We had a co-worker, a bachelor, that insisted on shoes off at his house.  Definitely not something we do at my house.  He's the only one that I've ever visited who did that.  I have mild OCD myself, but not to that degree.  He's now 50 and still single.  When in Rome, I guess.  I don't have wall-to-wall carpeting, I have wood floors (mid-20th century house) and I use area rugs.  I don't mind vacuuming when needed.  YMMV

We have a no shoes rule in the house - but NOT for guests.  Guests are always welcome to keep their shoes on, lol.    Oh - and we have hardwood floors, too.    We've been doing this for so many years I'm not sure when it started... probably in the winter when shoes were wet.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Kyanight said:

I think (but not positive) that fleas are rather scarce in Utah.  Here in Colorado I have never seen a single one.  Not one.  Doesn't mean we don't HAVE them - but perhaps the altitude or thin air or something makes them less prolific?   

But her dog is in Vegas part of the time, and yeah, other people's dogs from elsewhere.  I didn't know fleas were regional!

1 minute ago, DakotaJustice said:

But her dog is in Vegas part of the time, and yeah, other people's dogs from elsewhere.  I didn't know fleas were regional!

So I was curious and googled it and this was what I found:    " There are approximately 80 species of fleas in Colorado, among the greatest number found in any state. However, flea problems around the home and on pets are not as common as in other parts of the United States. Colorado's dry climate is unfavorable for flea development, particularly the immature stage. "    Interesting!    But you are correct - dogs (and possibly cats) come from all over the U.S., including Meri's dog from Vegas.... so definitely could be an issue in the carpets!  ugh

• Love 1
23 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Carpet is so disgusting! We're in the process of ripping out carpet and replacing it with hardwood floors. Pulling that shit up makes me want to throw up--what's worse, it's from the previous owners so it's all their guck. Unless you have no kids, no pets, no dust/dirt and wear socks only in the house, I can't see ANY reason to install carpeting into a home. Dirt, stains, germs, skin cells/hair from previous residents, uck. 

Quality flooring is expensive, unless what's underneath can be saved. But I don't care what she does, I'm sick of Meri at this point. I'm even tired of hate watching. She won't shit and but won't get off the pot--same old Mopey Meri continuing her cycle of self-centeredness and deceptiveness. 

I confess, I hate hardwood floors. Noisy and cold. I can understand people who have children or pets not wanting carpet, but it's just adults here. Carpet is warmer, cozier, and reduces noise, especially in bedrooms. I zoomed in on the pictures of the BnB and the carpeting looks like it is in good shape. No need to go through the expense of ripping it up if it's still good.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I confess, I hate hardwood floors. Noisy and cold. I can understand people who have children or pets not wanting carpet, but it's just adults here. Carpet is warmer, cozier, and reduces noise, especially in bedrooms.

Table for two.  My entire home is carpeted (well, not the kitchen or bath) and I love the feeling of softness and the quiet. I grew up with hardwood floors and hated it.  All of those nasty dust bunnies under everything and no matter how you mopped or swept it always felt gritty.  I run my Roomba every day to keep things clean.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I confess, I hate hardwood floors. Noisy and cold. I can understand people who have children or pets not wanting carpet, but it's just adults here. Carpet is warmer, cozier, and reduces noise, especially in bedrooms. I zoomed in on the pictures of the BnB and the carpeting looks like it is in good shape. No need to go through the expense of ripping it up if it's still good.

Table for 3.  I also confess to being a carpet person.  My family sold all floor coverings and while I like hard wood floors and we had them on our main living floor, they were a pain in my ass growing up.  I would rather vacuum than sweep that.  I also would be SUPER upset if I spent decent money on hardwood and they got scratched or a leak caused it all to be ripped up.  I have very cold feet and enjoy the warmth of carpet.

Edited by Natalie68
  • Love 6
On 1/8/2018 at 7:53 AM, Granny58 said:

I think that when living together they will both become gigantic.  

Here for 25 years and they can't speak English!!!

If I were meeting the Browns, I’d pretend I didn’t speak English either.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
On 1/24/2018 at 1:37 PM, TurtlePower said:

Unlike carpeting cause its easier on my legs. Also it's quieter. If you move into a house that had previous occupants karma then you make sure you steam clean it thoroughly. After that you just make sure you clean it or keep it clean. I have never had pets in my house, So that makes a big difference. We also don't eat anywhere but in the kitchen or breakfast room.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, antfitz said:

I like carpeting cause its easier on my legs. Also it's quieter.

Totally agree.  I hate the noise in homes with hardwood, all that clomping around and voices echoing.  I like getting up with something soft under my feet. Plus it's a lot warmer when you live in northern climes.

I have a dog but I also have Roomba so it's vacuumed daily.  And it's white without a stain or dirt mark in sight.

It's not the floor covering, it's the housekeeping that makes a difference.  There are filthy homes without carpeting (reference Jenelle's bathroom) and freakishly clean places with carpeting.  It just takes proper upkeep.

• Love 5
On 1/25/2018 at 1:25 PM, Kohola3 said:

Table for two.  My entire home is carpeted (well, not the kitchen or bath) and I love the feeling of softness and the quiet. I grew up with hardwood floors and hated it.  All of those nasty dust bunnies under everything and no matter how you mopped or swept it always felt gritty.  I run my Roomba every day to keep things clean.

True.  I grew up in a very large two story 1800's Victorian home.  With all hardwood floors.  My parents never put carpet down.  Every Saturday morning we would hoover and mop the entire house.  It took several hours.  Was glad when they built a brand new house and carpeted all the bedrooms and living area.  Was nice to have warm feet for a change.

• Love 3
On 3/18/2018 at 12:34 AM, Pickleinthemiddle said:

True.  I grew up in a very large two story 1800's Victorian home.  With all hardwood floors.  My parents never put carpet down.  Every Saturday morning we would hoover and mop the entire house.  It took several hours.  Was glad when they built a brand new house and carpeted all the bedrooms and living area.  Was nice to have warm feet for a change.

Yep, always been a carpet person. And when you tell the hardwood floor people your reasons for preferring carpet, they'll say "well, you can always put down area rugs." OK, so now I have to clean hardwood and vacuum rugs?

• Love 4
On 1/8/2018 at 7:53 AM, Granny58 said:

I think that when living together they will both become gigantic.  

Here for 25 years and they can't speak English!!!

One of our clients moved here from Italy in the early 60's. She just passed away and hardly spoke a word of English. Her little brother, who was born here had to translate for her when we met. My boss and I are still stupefied how she has survived almost 60 years in a country without being able to speak the language. It's not like we have Italian TV stations, like Telemundo.

Yes, it may seem Meri is reaching for the stars with her dream of the B&B. However, it's already set up as a B & B, which is more organized than Sobbyn's dream of MSWC. She's not asking the family to drop everything and help her run it. Let her have it. Plus, I think it being a home that was in her family decades ago means something to her. Despite the fact that the home my father grew up in is not in the best place parking and space wise, I would probably love to buy it when I retire and finish my days where my grandfather and father were born. Unfortunately, my aunt bought it from the estate and then sold it to strangers. I still drive by it and gawk sometimes though.

Don't act all stupid like you didn't hear them say least season they were planning for 400. Kody probably thought he'd negotiate his way out that. Hey Kody, you're negotiating skills suck. For 2 fairly doltish kids, they are quite wily. Kody thinks he won with a December wedding, but, Mykelti said after the fact that she had already decided on December (remember how quick she came up with the 17th and that the colleges would have just ended for the semester?), but, she was holding out to get her honeymoon paid for. Mykelti is the new master of manipulation and Kody should just bow to her.

Edited by Mom2twoNonna2-3
More thoughts