Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Are Three Wives Better Than One?

• Start Topic

@andromeda331 Exactly! There's nothing about polygamy (as a man, not even the sex!) that I have seen that I would consider to be a positive or a benefit of that type of relationship. I could practically write a dissertation picking it apart in detail. I'm not going to because we're pretty much all on the same page here, have seen the same things, and have similar expectations for our relationships.

• Love 7
On 15/01/2018 at 6:03 AM, Wings said:

10 minutes in, if that, I quit watching.  I don't want to hear about polygamy,  just live it without explaining. We get it. Sister Wives did the ground work. 

Me too- same squeaky voiced dingbat doormats screwing the same man.

Show us some intelligent women!

On 15/01/2018 at 6:12 PM, gonecrackers said:

The Atlanta couple ... she wants a best friend; yeah, okay.

Me thinks threesomes

On 18/01/2018 at 7:16 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Auralee sounds like Pontius Pilate in "Life of Brian"--"wewease Woderwick!" That kind of impediment sounds pure "upper class British twit" to me.

hahahahaha I love you!!

• Love 9

The Brineys: 

WTF? These women are experiencing jealousy and disagreement with one another over this guy? Drew seems to enjoy watching them have problems with one another, as if he's in a position of power (and the women, stupidly are fighting one another for his attention). Ladies, he's not exactly a catch.

They need to stop fighting one another over this paunchy, pasty creampuff of a "man".

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, WhatsUpDummy said:

Oh my god, why do you think you’re going to prison? In the eyes of the law and of the state you’re not legally married him. You’re not breaking the law, you’re not committing bigamy, you’re not going to jail. 

Come on now. You know they need a storyline. Apparently, the only storylines available to them were lame ones used to scare children into distrusting the government. Got to set those children up for a life of "bleeding the beast" though, I suppose, and that would be among the best ways to accomplish it.

• Love 1

I'm still confused over how they were moving into a new house, but were shocked at the layout, and hadn't figured out who was sleeping where. Shouldn't they have been in the house before? Did hubs buy it without  any of the wives seeing it?

• Love 4
On 1/16/2018 at 0:32 PM, butterbody said:

Duh that makes perfect sense! I am a Gilbert,AZ 7 but if I go near campus,  I'm an ASU 2! 

I think I might be done, too. But I'm freaking fascinated with speech impediment wife and I think her husband might find it adorable in a creepy young girl fetish kind if way. 

Yup. It's so obvious speech impediment wife is his favorite. Of course April hates her.  I would too. 

• Love 4
On 1/23/2018 at 11:29 PM, AllyCat said:

Yup. It's so obvious speech impediment wife is his favorite. Of course April hates her.  I would too. 

Well, if one wife is always complaining and acting passive-agressive, jealous and needy, and the other is always sweet, loving and comforting, which one would you like better? 

Hmm, doesn'this all sound SO familiar...?

I'm confused about the newest Briney wife. So she's known Drew (and the other wives) for a few months, and she's already "married" to Drew, and they're getting to know one another after the fact. And she has a baby already, even though she's only been involved with Drew for something like 13 weeks? Or was she pregnant when they met? (Or maybe she's holding someone else's kid?) I can't get the Briney timeline straight.

And both of the older Briney wives are obnoxious. Outright hostility v. passive-aggressive childishness? No, thank you to both.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

And she has a baby already, even though she's only been involved with Drew for something like 13 weeks?

I think she and Drew have been married for 13 months. She got pregnant pretty quickly after they got together, which surprised her since she hadn't gotten pregnant in the 20 years she had been trying to have a baby. I think she is just saying she is still new to the 1/3rd  marriage and is still getting to know Drew.

What surprises me is that they are even ON the show in the first place. They are an established family with three wives. They haven't said on the show whether they are looking for another wife. So are we going to see them add yet another wife to the already unstable marriage or are we just going to watch them sort things out between the three of them? I have no idea.

• Love 3
Just now, Galloway Cave said:

I think she and Drew have been married for 13 months. She got pregnant pretty quickly after they got together, which surprised her since she hadn't gotten pregnant in the 20 years she had been trying to have a baby. I think she is just saying she is still new to the 1/3rd  marriage and is still getting to know Drew.

What surprises me is that they are even ON the show in the first place. They are an established family with three wives. They haven't said on the show whether they are looking for another wife. So are we going to see them add yet another wife to the already unstable marriage or are we just going to watch them sort things out between the three of them? I have no idea.

Thanks for the info, Galloway. 13 months makes a lot more sense.

• Love 1

Ok, I can't even with these people. Unless you're a Vulcan or Data from Stark Trek (and able to tun off emotion), this plural thing cannot work. Even for religion. There's always gonna be a wife with jealousy issues--why would any man or woman sign up for that? 

• Love 2

The Brimeys, The second and third wife make me sick. Their basically bonded together and are doing nothing but bulling the first wife. You can see right through them, they wont be happy until shes gone and will never have anything positive to say about her. I think the first one has just built up her defenses because she had to. Not because shes really the person the other two would like us to believe she is.

• Love 3

Tonight was the first night I watched the entire episode, so I am positive I have missed a lot.   I didn't see the master bedroom drama - so don't know anything about that - but since the wives are supposed to be equal, why should the bedroom go to April?  I'm not sure why it went to the wife it did, though.  Did April REALLY want to take the new mattresses for HER sons while giving used ones to the other boys?  If so, I don't blame Auralee for being upset.  I wouldn't want to feel like a second class citizen after 12 years of marriage to the guy.  Also - does anyone remember an old drinking game while watching the Bob Newhart show?  Every time someone said the word "Bob" you would take a drink.  They said his name so often you were guaranteed to be drunk by the end of the half hour.  (oh those wild and crazy college days!)  The reason I bring this up is this:  you could take a drink every time April refers to herself as the "first wife" (and also everyone else when speaking of April) and it would be the same thing. I don't know if she is insecure (I probably would be) or what - but I would hate to have that CONSTANT reminder as one of his other wives.   Seriously - the other two wives KNOW they aren't the first wife by now!

Dimitri is hot.   And so is the new potential 22 year old wife.  You have to ask yourself WHY would a beautiful 22 year old need to enter into a relationship with a man and his wife in a state clear across the country - where you have already been asked if you will babysit a ready-made family, and the wife can't wait to have someone around to share the housework.  I thought she was a stewardess?  And wanted an advanced degree?  It doesn't sound like she's going to have much time to do all that housework.  Maybe the wife (Ashley?) tries to convince herself she is on board with what Dimitri wants - or maybe she really DOES think she wants it - but from what we see on the show, she seems like she might be the jealous type.  Did anyone else notice her reach up and touch her husband's hair as they were meeting the new prospective wife?  That screams ownership.  "You can be a part of this, but he will always be MY man because I was here first."  I think this girl is here for the show, too.   She's too pretty and too successful (if what she says is true) and too young to need this.  I can't imagine she hurts for dates.  Once the show is axed she will be history.

I like the last family.  I think of all of them, they are the most secure and the most "together".  I totally get the feeling that the first wife just goes along with whatever her husband wants, though.

Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions!

• Love 6
On 1/17/2018 at 2:27 PM, prunieprune said:

After seriously years of staying away from TV like this, I've been sucked in to this show.  The Briney family is a horror show of manipulation and passive aggressive behavior.  I'm on Team Angela for now, although the fact that she chose this lifestyle after an independent adulthood makes me think that other lapses of judgement and eccentricities will emerge as more episodes air.  Auralee seems to be the wife with an actual bond with Drew and while I'm not a fan of her sickly sweetness I think that she is right on the money that April is a master manipulator.  Living with someone like that for years can make you seem/feel crazy as you see manipulation in every interaction and are always in fight/flight mode. 

The Allredges seemed ok to me.  I liked both the wives and I got the sense that they actually enjoy spending time with each other.  Sharis is quirky but respectful and I can see her lightening up serious Vanessa.  The husband seemed to be very "on"- I suspect that he's a bit different when the cameras are not rolling.  I'm worried that adding someone else into the mix with lead to unhappiness for the wives.  

The Snowdens are just a big eyeroll.  I'm with Ashley's mom on this one.  I also studied anthropology in college and am an open-minded person but I'd be out the door if my husband started talking about a "Sister Wife".  This is patriarchy, wrapped up like a New Age crystal.  

he Snowdens are just a big eyeroll.  I'm with Ashley's mom on this one.  I also studied anthropology in college and am an open-minded person but I'd be out the door if my husband started talking about a "Sister Wife".  This is patriarchy, wrapped up like a New Age crystal.  

So true. I bet we'll learn that he manipulated her with cultural ties as polygamy is practiced extensively in Africa. I can see him extolling the virtues of this with his best college speak much as Cody does with his pseudo Mormon BS about polygamy. Polygamy is and has only been necessary in poor societies where women die frequently in childbirth and in nomadic cultures where many wives are useful due to hunting, gathering, child-rearing etc. One wife can't do it all.  In an educated society there is no valid reason for it and it has never been proven to be a truly successful lifestyle. From a religious standpoint there is also no valid reason for it. It was never extolled as a lifestyle by God in the old testament, just a way of life of nomadic peoples. In the new testament Jesus made his , therefore, God's view clear on monogamy. The supposed angel that whispered in Joseph's Smith's ear to take multiple wives to increase his real estate in heaven was no more than Joseph Smith's schlong getting an itch for strange. Had it been from God, the angel would have told him the men had to marry all the old widows in order to help the poor and unfortunate, not the nubile, young barely menstruating girls most of the Mormon leaders took to their beds. (Yes I know Smith married a few older women, he wasn't stupid, out of 40=50 wives he had to throw off his critics somehow.

• Love 10
On 1/17/2018 at 8:43 PM, RedheadZombie said:

I get when those raised in polygamy choose it, and I even get when LDS convert (after all, polygamy was only eliminated for statehood, LDS does not disavow Joseph Smith or Brigham Young), but Dimitri simply wants a private harem.  And one filled with females who work, apparently.

Thank you!  Most folks don't realize that the modern day version of LDS was forced, by the US government.  They either gave up polygamy or, if they insisted upon it, lose their right to be considered a religion and forfeited their considerable assets to the government.

i don't believe the tale the LDS spins that it was "revealed" by God to end the practice of polygamy.  It was too conveniently timed with the threats the US government levied against them.  I think it was wrong, personally, even though I'm in no way drawn to their religion or that type of lifestyle.

As far as Dimitri is concerned, I'm reminded of the word "pimp" when a man, sans religious conviction, desires to be intimately connected with multiple women who bring income into the household.

• Love 1
On 1/16/2018 at 8:36 PM, KariLois said:

Kody must be so happy.  He can look at the other white guys on this show and think, “Hey!  I am slightly less creepy than these schmoes!”  I also can’t imagine why Angela is freely choosing to join the shitshow of the Briney family.  I officially hate Auralee and Drew.  They should run off together and let Angela and Michelle Duggar’s twin sleep together.  They would all be much happier.  I truly feel sorry for their kids.  I could feel the toxicity emanating from my tv.  Those poor nuggets are homeschooled and don’t have the opportunity to escape that environment at all.  Free Michelle Duggar’s twin!

Michelle Duggar's twin is this show's version of Meri Brown, so no way she deserves to be freed. 

On 2/7/2018 at 5:30 AM, kicotan said:

As far as Dimitri is concerned, I'm reminded of the word "pimp" when a man, sans religious conviction, desires to be intimately connected with multiple women who bring income into the household.

I sat here and thought for a minute, and I honestly could not come up with a "slimier" guy I've ever seen on TV.  

• Love 1