Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Are Three Wives Better Than One?

• Start Topic

In the premiere of a series following three families in various phases of adding a new sister wife to their lives, the Brineys all move under one roof; the Snowdens begin their search; and the Alldredges seek their third.

• Love 1

I know this isn’t the most riviting discussion starter but did anyone else notice that during the talking heads Ashley’s shirt kept changing? - sometimes it covered her arms as a cold shoulder style and other times she had it as a tank top.  The lack of consistency bothered me.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Same bullshit as Sister Wives one of the lines was the neighbor is nosey and don't know there is more than one mom and we could be arrested. 

Stupid storyline.  You have 15 children and 3 women living in your home and you decided to go public by being on TV... of course the neighbours know you're polygamists.  

• Love 22

Well, they live just south of where the Browns used to live, and the AUB and Kingston Sects have enclaves in the area. So I'm thinking no one is looking twice at the number of adults at the house but instead are looking at the camera crews or maybe just at the new neighbors that have moved in. I don't know why TLC is STILL trying to sell this concept to the viewing public that polygamy is that hidden and unusual in Utah.

I am really curious about Jeff Alldrege's life prior to marrying these two women. He was 44 and Vanessa was 22 when they married. He married the other wife soon after (they met when she was "uh, um...18"). So was he married before these two? Any kids? And I wonder if he tweeked his name a bit from Allred to Alldredge, for the show.

The Briney Wives look like they can get a good fight on. Now THAT is what sister wiving is all about!

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 17

Well, it looks like this show is going to be a bust for me. The conversations are all designed with what will get the most airtime in consideration, and several of the women's voices are irritating. My television does something to women's voices, and this year Padma and even Phil Keoghan's voices sound awful and never had before, so between them sounding awful and just being plain boring and poor liars, the show isn't worth watching. I may give it another shot before pulling the plug, since I always try and give everything three episodes to clean out the cobwebs, but I'm not sure I'll make it. It would be nice if the passive-aggressive bull would stop and weave-pulling slapfests would start. That's what the viewers want, famewhores!

The preview with them talking to the kids was ire inducing, too. Telling kids that one of you may go to jail if the kids tell the "secret" that there are several parents is emotionally abusive and any kid with anxiety is going to have a tortured few minutes until the cameras cut and the parents can tell them they only said it for television. At least, that better be what happened in real-time because I didn't bother to learn their names and don't want to re-watch to learn them so I can add them to my "idiots who sold their souls for fifteen minutes on television and deserve to be cursed" list, which is getting kind of long. 

• Love 7

My take?

The Briney's see an opening at becoming the new Sisterwives show. April is a Meri for sure. Auralee, I see more like Christine and Angela  like Janelle.  If they are stupid, they would add a 4th wife but really should look at the trouble the Brown wives have going on before they add more to the mix.

The Alldredges should just stick to the two.  And if the Snowdens want help, hire a freaking nanny and adopt or foster children.  Seriously. Why do these people (besides the excuse of "religion") want more trouble than it's worth with more wives?  Have none of them learned anything by watching the catastrophe that is the Brown family?

The only thing I have to give kudos is that Alldredge didn't legally marry either wife. So they are technically on equal footing and not having one wife lord the legal status over the other one.

• Love 4

Why is no one talking about the one sister wife with the "Danish" accent?  If she has a lisp, would that prevent her from pronouncing "R's"?  There seemed to be more accent their than lisp.  I can't believe she tells people she's Danish.  I immediately thought of Christine Brown and her fake affluent accent she uses.

Also, wondered the same about Allredge, changing from Allred and why he was into young chicks and finally settling down at his age.

It's been years since I've been introduced to the sister wives concept (thank you Brown's!) and it still boggles my mind.  I just can't imagine this lifestyle.  I'm way too jealous for this.  But, I'm in for the season.  Both feet.

• Love 15

that is not a lisp (which I had), it is a speech impediment.  Ooops...sorry Madding Crowd, I posted before I read.  Made me wonder too, though, if she had ever received therapy for her impediment.  Bah...who am I kidding?  I know she did not.

I don't understand why these women, especially the Snowdens since they aren't part of the culture, need to take on a sister wife so wife #1 can have a best friend.  I have a best friend, but she doesn't sleep with my husband.  

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 16

I see the Snowden husband as just wanting an extra woman and the wife is going along with it reluctantly. But she pretends to be all liberated. Since they don't have the ties to Mormon fundamentalism there is no other excuse for doing this. 

45 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

The "Danish" woman has a severe speech impediment, but it's not a lisp. Makes me wonder about the education level of these people. All I see is three attractive wives and one homely shrub. I simply can't understand the advantages for any women.

She has a variant of the Baba Wawa speech impediment. 

Only two families are seeking a new wife.  The third one is seeking to integrate the newest wife. 

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

that is not a lisp (which I had), it is a speech impediment.  Ooops...sorry Madding Crowd, I posted before I read.  Made me wonder too, though, if she had ever received therapy for her impediment.  Bah...who am I kidding?  I know she did not.

Definitely an impediment, not a lisp! A lisp is when you mispronounce "s" as "th", like "lithp." (Not telling you specifically, G58 -- I'm sure you are well aware!) The word formation issues occur in the front of the mouth, rather than back in the throat where Auralee's seem to originate. Her speech makes me wonder if she has some kind of hearing loss. I'm guessing she never attended public school, or they would've screened for all of that and gotten her into speech therapy. I have no problem with home schooling when it's done well (I would do it if I had kids), but in some families things like this can fall through the cracks, and then you end up with your grown daughter on national TV speaking so poorly that a bunch of strangers are discussing that rather than her dysfunctional plyg lifestyle! Fundamentalist Fail! Also, of all the kids and names in the world, you give the one with a speech disorder a name with "aural" in it. Nice work.

All three of these families are doomed, as are the Browns. They may stick it out to save face (or to please God, Who I'm almost positive thinks this is a bad idea), but it's going to be miserable. They are all making decisions based on the happiness of the husband, exclusively. Dmitri is the least scary of the husbands but he's still a bit of a tool. He probably gets away with it because he's an Atlanta 9.

• Love 17
13 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

If it wasn't for Michelle Duggar's twin I would of already checked out.

Same!!!!   They even speak the same “keep sweet” way. Gahhhhhhhhhh!

oh and she is a stealth bitch for sure. 

Edited by Meowwww
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Welcome to the TV plig life! The Allreds are a big name in Polygamy. I don’t know numbers or history, I just know there’s a lot of them just like the Jeffs or Jessops. I think Sister Wives Christine is an Allred. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ShaNaeNae said:

The Allreds are a big name in Polygamy.

HUGE name. One of the original names, in fact. They are often referred to as Polygamy Royalty. I wish the Politicsrusprinciple Tumblr account was still up and running; the author had a very detailed archive of all the polygamous families and how they related (The Family Wreaths tm), plus a ton of ancestry, history, legal issues,photos, scanned articles and documents, etc. This is how we know the Brown Family relationships outside of the marriages. The site suddenly disappeared last summer and no one knows why. I'm really hoping nothing is seriously wrong and that the site can come back up. It is fascinating to read and you can end up down a rabbit hole there.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, butterbody said:

@JocelynCavanaugh sorry if this is a dumb question but what's an Atlanta 9?

It's not dumb; it was really a joke. He's a "9" in looks on a scale of 1-10, compared to other men in Atlanta. The city thing is just funny because someone might be a 10 in Akron but a 7 in LA or whatever. Kind of like that show Hot in Cleveland. (I don't really believe that non-urban people are less attractive; I just think it's a funny way to put things.)

• Love 1

The Brimeys.....WTF are they thinking.  It is obvious wife #1 and wife #2 HATE each other and that is when they had separate houses. Now they have to live in the same house and use the same kitchen with another new wife as well.  Yeah, this is going to work out FINE.  I feel sorry for the 3rd wife having to deal with all the other kids and wives when she only has 1 kid and probably won't have more.  Why didn't they just keep the 2 houses they had and move new wife into a condo/apartment?   You would think that hubby would have liked that.  Where was wife #3 living when there were 2 houses? Maybe her own place? 

I don't get why any woman would do this period.  But at least if it is for religious reasons you can kind of understand it.  But for those who just want the lifestyle??  The one couple who are looking for a sister wife and already tried one out that didn't work.  Yeah, that isn't just an excuse for hubby to sleep around w/permission.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, butterbody said:

@JocelynCavanaugh sorry if this is a dumb question but what's an Atlanta 9?

I wasn't paying enough attention. Did they say what the husband's do for a living? They all seem pretty well off.

The Briney husband is an attorney.  The Snowden husband is in IT?  The wives are what I'm curious about.  I don't remember hearing anything regarding the wives working.  I appreciated the Brady Williams family because 3/5 of the women worked - until they convinced one that her non-cancer required her to quit her job in a pediatrician's office, which she loved.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, woot said:

Stupid storyline.  You have 15 children and 3 women living in your home and you decided to go public by being on TV... of course the neighbours know you're polygamists.  

I hated this show. I never finished it. Awful. Can't lie!

DVR'd it & caught it tonight. I can't keep all the names straight yet. I agree with those saying I don't understand why any woman would agree to this, & I believe these guys are all in it for their ego & 'permission' cheating, so to speak.

The wife with the lisp?  That's not a lisp. Is it an impediment, or is there an accent mixed in with an impediment?  I need subtitles for her. Honestly it sounds rude but she's annoying as hell, & it's not just how she speaks. April, who I recall as the first wife, was crazy to go into this situation at all, but I agree, it's obvious she doesn't like wife #2, (which I get so far) so it makes no sense. She seems bitter & resentful. They're obviously not in it for friendship. And throwing wife #3 into it - they did that fast on purpose, I feel, because if she had known what was really going on with the first two she would've ran - or *should have* ran - fast, away from their mess. That was selfish & manipulative of them. But wife #3 was stupid to get involved, & to do so quickly like she did, so it's on her now.

Those poor kids.

The Atlanta couple ... she wants a best friend; yeah, okay. That worked out great the first time, so, why not try that stupidity again - & of course drag your kids into it - again. Makes sense - to them only.  It's going to be tough for her, or anyone, to fulfill her expectations of 'best friend' as well as be another wife to her husband. All around stupid & unhealthy. If she's lonely maybe a dog is the better option. Of course that won't satisfy husband...

The other two seem to be getting along as much as anyone could in that living situation, so why not throw someone else in there & stir the pot. Again, makes sense to them. And of course to husband, who I thought had a creepy look on his face when he said possible wife #3 had a 'nice smile'. Yep; okay Jeffy.

I can't with these people. I might still hate-watch, or snark-watch, depending...

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

I wish the Politicsrusprinciple Tumblr account was still up and running; the author had a very detailed archive of all the polygamous families and how they related (The Family Wreaths tm), plus a ton of ancestry, history, legal issues,photos, scanned articles and documents, etc. This is how we know the Brown Family relationships outside of the marriages. The site suddenly disappeared last summer and no one knows why. I'm really hoping nothing is seriously wrong and that the site can come back up. It is fascinating to read and you can end up down a rabbit hole there.

I loved that blog!  I remember a post on there about Attorney Drew Briney being a shady bastard.  I think it might've had to do with a custody case??  Does that ring a bell to you?  Anyways, I sure hope that Politicsrusprinciple comes back, they are sorely missed.  

• Love 3

It was over a year ago and although I can't remember the details I do remember the way the author of the blog described him.  At the time I googled his name and this image has been burned in my memory ever since.  I about shit myself when I saw the previews for Seeking Sister Wife.  Could that be him???  Yes, that's him.

drew.jpg

Edited by lettsjetts
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, lettsjetts said:

It was over a year ago and although I can't remember the details I do remember the way the author of the blog described him.  At the time I googled his name and this image has been burned in my memory ever since.  I about shit myself when I saw the previews for Seeking Sister Wife.  Could that be him???  Yes, that's him.

drew.jpg

Thank you for posting this.  I was trying to figure out if "storytelling juggler" was a euphemism, or an actual activity.  He was kind of cute when he married his first wife.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

It's not dumb; it was really a joke. He's a "9" in looks on a scale of 1-10, compared to other men in Atlanta. The city thing is just funny because someone might be a 10 in Akron but a 7 in LA or whatever. Kind of like that show Hot in Cleveland. (I don't really believe that non-urban people are less attractive; I just think it's a funny way to put things.)

Duh that makes perfect sense! I am a Gilbert,AZ 7 but if I go near campus,  I'm an ASU 2! 

I think I might be done, too. But I'm freaking fascinated with speech impediment wife and I think her husband might find it adorable in a creepy young girl fetish kind if way. 

• Love 7

I hate these guys.  They get so involved with their privilege and their absolute beliefs that if they want something, they have to have it.  Dimitri WANTS a big family.  He WANTS another wife.  I observed the couple for about two seconds and realized his wife isn’t into it,  and is afraid of losing him.  Dude, you have a gorgeous wife and three kids.  Deal.  You don’t get to have everything you want without making your wife unhappy.   And my god!  The Brimeys are so miserable.  Their douche husband is thrilled that these idiots fight over his pasty ass.  

• Love 7

Kody must be so happy.  He can look at the other white guys on this show and think, “Hey!  I am slightly less creepy than these schmoes!”  I also can’t imagine why Angela is freely choosing to join the shitshow of the Briney family.  I officially hate Auralee and Drew.  They should run off together and let Angela and Michelle Duggar’s twin sleep together.  They would all be much happier.  I truly feel sorry for their kids.  I could feel the toxicity emanating from my tv.  Those poor nuggets are homeschooled and don’t have the opportunity to escape that environment at all.  Free Michelle Duggar’s twin!

• Love 6

After seriously years of staying away from TV like this, I've been sucked in to this show.  The Briney family is a horror show of manipulation and passive aggressive behavior.  I'm on Team Angela for now, although the fact that she chose this lifestyle after an independent adulthood makes me think that other lapses of judgement and eccentricities will emerge as more episodes air.  Auralee seems to be the wife with an actual bond with Drew and while I'm not a fan of her sickly sweetness I think that she is right on the money that April is a master manipulator.  Living with someone like that for years can make you seem/feel crazy as you see manipulation in every interaction and are always in fight/flight mode. 

The Allredges seemed ok to me.  I liked both the wives and I got the sense that they actually enjoy spending time with each other.  Sharis is quirky but respectful and I can see her lightening up serious Vanessa.  The husband seemed to be very "on"- I suspect that he's a bit different when the cameras are not rolling.  I'm worried that adding someone else into the mix with lead to unhappiness for the wives.  

The Snowdens are just a big eyeroll.  I'm with Ashley's mom on this one.  I also studied anthropology in college and am an open-minded person but I'd be out the door if my husband started talking about a "Sister Wife".  This is patriarchy, wrapped up like a New Age crystal.  

• Love 10
On 1/15/2018 at 2:50 PM, ShaNaeNae said:

Welcome to the TV plig life! The Allreds are a big name in Polygamy. I don’t know numbers or history, I just know there’s a lot of them just like the Jeffs or Jessops. I think Sister Wives Christine is an Allred. 

But they are not related to Gloria Allred the noted attorney. Although her ex husband was a piece of work. http://articles.latimes.com/1992-02-26/local/me-2490_1_bill-allred

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 0:32 PM, butterbody said:

Duh that makes perfect sense! I am a Gilbert,AZ 7 but if I go near campus,  I'm an ASU 2! 

I think I might be done, too. But I'm freaking fascinated with speech impediment wife and I think her husband might find it adorable in a creepy young girl tish kind if way. 

Auralee's behavior make me wonder if her family misinterpreted her lisp (speech impediment) as an intellectual challenge, and raised her thusly.  She seems child like, except when tearing down wife #1.  I wonder how hubby will react when he sees this version of Auralee.  I'm sure he only sees the babyish version.  Since she's the one who was raised in polygamy, she's probably the best manipulator of them all.  She got that master bedroom, and made April look like the bad guy while doing it.

• Love 6
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:12 PM, KariLois said:

I hate these guys.  They get so involved with their privilege and their absolute beliefs that if they want something, they have to have it.  Dimitri WANTS a big family.  He WANTS another wife.  I observed the couple for about two seconds and realized his wife isn’t into it,  and is afraid of losing him.  Dude, you have a gorgeous wife and three kids.  Deal.  You don’t get to have everything you want without making your wife unhappy.   And my god!  The Brimeys are so miserable.  Their douche husband is thrilled that these idiots fight over his pasty ass.  

I liked the Snowdens at first, but I think Dmitri has gotten away with a lot due to his looks.  Why a thoroughly modern couple would want to follow a paternalistic/patriarchal family structure based on a religious cult, is beyond me.  I get when those raised in polygamy choose it, and I even get when LDS convert (after all, polygamy was only eliminated for statehood, LDS does not disavow Joseph Smith or Brigham Young), but Dimitri simply wants a private harem.  And one filled with females who work, apparently.

He's hot and he's charismatic, but I'm going with pig as well.  

• Love 15

We finally got to watch this episode. Here's my take on things.

Auralee: Her speech impediment is definitely not a lisp. I would guess she probably has a cleft palate and possibly some hearing impairment. My older (adopted) brother had a cleft palate and spoke like that until it was fixed. He also was born with hearing problems and has worn hearing aids for several decades. It's very clear this is Drew's favorite wife, given how long and closely they embraced when he got home.

Angela: She's only excited about all things plyg because she's new to it and she's guaranteed to get most of the sexual attention.

April: Stop playing games and being deferential OR stop getting angry when you don't get what you want. Sheesh. Just say what you want and say what you mean. Don't expect Drew to be able to read your mind.

Drew: Stop being stupid. Also, stop being passive when it comes to helping your wives settle their differences. Take some control or expect to end up living with three unhappy harpies. If you were smart, you'd have put April in the master bedroom without any discussion. As someone else noted somewhere, the master bedroom is the power seat, and if you were smart you'd put your first wife there.

The Snowdens: You're both fucking idiots. If you want more children, adopt. There are plenty of children in this country alone who need a good home. There's no rational reason to engage in polygamy. If you're not willing to adopt, then simply accept that you're going to have three children and that's it. You can have a very close, loving, stable family without having 18 children and four wives. Plenty of people manage this feat and they remain monogamous.

The Alldredges: They seem mostly happy, shockingly. However, they're just as disingenuous about their perceived superiority as polygamists over monogamists as the Browns, the Dargers, and every one of these other asshole clans that go for polygamy. Personally, I'm hoping that the addition of a third wife will end up being nothing but pure misery for the lot of them.

I'm sick to death of all these assholes who claim that polygamy is sooooooooo superior to monogamy and act like the challenges they face in life are sooooo unique that monogamous people could never hope to understand let alone actually overcome them. Fuck. All. Of. You! I'm also sick of the false dichotomies they use to justify their decisions. One of the stupid Alldredge women said "I want a great husband and great father [for my kids]. He's great and if polygamy means I have to share him with a few people, so be it. I'd rather do that than have a mediocre husband all to myself." This really pissed me off. As if the only two choices are "mediocre husband and monogamy" or "great husband and polygamy". It's shit like that that I just can't stand. We'll probably continue to watch this show, but I'm definitely going to be hate-watching it and wishing them ill fortune in their relationships the entire time.

• Love 14

Auralee sounds like Pontius Pilate in "Life of Brian"--"wewease Woderwick!" That kind of impediment sounds pure "upper class British twit" to me.

Drew is a big old lummox who is loving all the daggered glances and seething resentment among his vapid crew of wives. He cannot believe his luck. And he can cram all the "this is a very difficult life for the husband" shit. There is no downside. Your wives are socialized to "keep sweet" and cater to your every whim.

April should never have agreed to it, but since she has, she either needs to knuckle under and accept that this is her life now, or start plotting and scheming like the first wife in any romance novel that takes place in a harem. Pit the two blondes against each other and watch the fur fly! And yes, as the senior wife she should have been installed in the master bedroom. Either that or Drew should take his cue from Islam, which says a man can have four wives, but he has to treat them all the same. So a bedroom for each wife, and one for Drew. He can visit the wife of choice in her room when its her turn.

Angela was 40, wanted a baby, and apparently didn't have any prospects. So, good for her I guess?

The Snowdens---are polyamorous, right? They don't want to characterize it that way, but that's my guess. The sister wife is not just for the husband.

1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

I'm sick to death of all these assholes who claim that polygamy is sooooooooo superior to monogamy and act like the challenges they face in life are sooooo unique that monogamous people could never hope to understand let alone actually overcome them. Fuck. All. Of. You!

Right there with you. Its great for the husbands, sure, but the wives are shortchanged and expected to live with hubby's sloppy seconds.

• Love 12
21 hours ago, MrSmith said:

I'm sick to death of all these assholes who claim that polygamy is sooooooooo superior to monogamy and act like the challenges they face in life are sooooo unique that monogamous people could never hope to understand let alone actually overcome them. Fuck. All. Of. You! I'm also sick of the false dichotomies they use to justify their decisions. One of the stupid Alldredge women said "I want a great husband and great father [for my kids]. He's great and if polygamy means I have to share him with a few people, so be it. I'd rather do that than have a mediocre husband all to myself." This really pissed me off. As if the only two choices are "mediocre husband and monogamy" or "great husband and polygamy". It's shit like that that I just can't stand. We'll probably continue to watch this show, but I'm definitely going to be hate-watching it and wishing them ill fortune in their relationships the entire time.

So am I. They think they are so much better then monogamous. But there's nothing they are showing us that is positive or good about polygamy. There's not one thing they show us that would make anyone think 'I want that life'. There is not one family is happy. Its much better to be married to man who has other wives, to spend your marriage fighting other wives, fighting for his attention, fighting for money, undermining each other and having so many children that they can't take care of and often that falls to the oldest children. Its so much better to see women miserable all the time. To be miserable when their not the current favorite. Miserable when husband kisses another wife or holds her hand. If you get upset with your husband. Well he has other wives he can go to and probably will. Then if their faith is right they die and get to spend eternity with the very same people who they were miserable with in marriage. Who doesn't want to sign up for that?         

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 8

Lots of great posts...I need to find the reply button,

Many years ago, I watched a move called Raise the Red Lantern (1991) which follows the dynamics of 4 concubines and their rise and fall from power based on who The Master chooses to sleep with that night (and favor over time.) It's such an amazing movie, and one of my must sees.

April and Auralee, Mary and her "wet bar" in Sister wives, Brady's wives all play out the dynamics from Raise the Red Lantern to some extent.

It's fascinating to me.

So that aside, right now Iam actually team April. That could change quickly, but Auralee is a Piece of Work!!  Yes, I also said speech impediment, she does not have a lisp. I wonder if she turns that up a notch in the bedroom? (sorry) Then her husband (daddy) comforting her, after she instigated the conflict. (implying she was not putting children first? Nope, but well played Auralee.) my guess is Auralee too, is NEVER Wrong.

You can see third wife is shooting Auralee some clear messages while stirring dinner in a bowl. Now we can watch the wives date her in reverse.

I'm all in so far.

• Love 7