Type keyword(s) to search

S04: Angele: Track Star

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

ANGELE

Angele grew up in a rough neighborhood and saw many of her friends and family members cycle through the Criminal Justice System. At the age of 13, Angele’s parents divorced and her mother’s strength became a motivating force for Angele to seek success in life.

While childhood friends were in and out of jail or in gangs, Angele focused her energy on track and field. She earned a full-ride athletic scholarship to college where she was ranked among the top ten internationally for the 400M hurdles. She is currently pursuing a career in writing.

Through this program, Angele hopes to better understand the trauma her friends and family members experienced behind bars in order to help in their rehabilitation and make sure they do not end up back in jail.

Colonel Adger believes Angele will be able to integrate herself into the female zone and potentially build close relationships with the women, giving her unprecedented access to possible illegal activity as well as the genuine needs of the inmates.

I don't like her simply because I don't really understand her objectives and I don't think she is really understanding the program.  She seems to just be going in to "hang out" or something.

• Love 2

I really feel bad for Angele. She had good intentions and seems to generally have a good soul. Her feelings just clouded her judgement, which has happened to us all. I hope she finds peace and happiness; she deserves it. 

She messed up bad, Snitching on National TV, This is the ATL folks. She is so self absorbed she refused to acknowledge the danger she brought to everyone else. She was naive.And her chick snitched just as soon as she could.

• Love 3
On 3/8/2018 at 6:24 PM, TheBadFatty said:

I really feel bad for Angele. She had good intentions and seems to generally have a good soul. Her feelings just clouded her judgement, which has happened to us all. I hope she finds peace and happiness; she deserves it. 

I’d like to agree with you, but she never went in with good intentions. From her very first interview she basically said she’d not respect and listen to the guards. She was more than ready and willing to go “full inmate” from practically the word go. She learned zero intel that helped the program. All she did was party, have sex and blow up the program. 

• Love 8

The title of this thread keeps making me crazy. Angele is an electrician — a professional electrician, not a track star. ( she may have been one in school but all the other threads list professions why shouldn’t this one?)

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I’d like to agree with you, but she never went in with good intentions. From her very first interview she basically said she’d not respect and listen to the guards. She was more than ready and willing to go “full inmate” from practically the word go. She learned zero intel that helped the program. All she did was party, have sex and blow up the program. 

Even Matt with all his “my son my son” and Jaclin were able to provide some intel even though they both tapped out.  Angele basically said “they are just like me.” And by the end didn’t want to rat out her new friends.  

• Love 4
On 3/11/2018 at 6:10 PM, PityFree said:

The title of this thread keeps making me crazy. Angele is an electrician — a professional electrician, not a track star. ( she may have been one in school but all the other threads list professions why shouldn’t this one?)

I read their bio and just picked what they identified themselves as. She said she was a track star. 

• Love 1
On 3/12/2018 at 12:10 AM, PityFree said:

I agree, sounds like the thread is throwing shade on a shady person.

5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

So you think Johnny’s profession is former gang member and Andrew works as a chaplain’s son. On the A&E website, Angele’s bio emphasizes her track background. Being an electrician is not mentioned once. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I read their bio and just picked what they identified themselves as. She said she was a track star. 

Oh!  I didn’t realize that that’s how she had described herself. If that’s what she wants emphasize, more power to her. Sorry.

53 minutes ago, oldCJ said:

So you think Johnny’s profession is former gang member and Andrew works as a chaplain’s son. On the A&E website, Angele’s bio emphasizes her track background. Being an electrician is not mentioned once. 

I haven’t gone to the A&E  website so I didn’t realize they had bios up there.  I didn’t even think about that.

I apologize I didn’t mean to start a controversy. I guess I was just really impressed that she was electrician.

• Love 2
On 3/13/2018 at 12:58 PM, Neurochick said:

Or that a shady person found a profession she thought could help ensure kept her in the light and less shady. [sorry, groan]

Too bad the more light they shined on her, the shadier she seemed,

On 3/13/2018 at 7:35 PM, PityFree said:

Oh!  I didn’t realize that that’s how she had described herself. If that’s what she wants emphasize, more power to her. Sorry.

Or, more likely, it’s what A&E/the production company I don’t care enough to check the name of wants to emphasize.

But, while I’m pretty sure I’ve never gone to their website, I definitely remember her “story”—probably from her intro on the show—being that her “way out” (most of her peers or family or whatever had ended up in prison rather than a HS graduation) had been due to her track-star-ness, and she was not just a nationally ranked runner; it earned her a full ride to college, which sounded like it wouldn’t have otherwise been on her radar, much less a realistic possibility, were it not for track. Obviously they must have mentioned it at some point since you knew it, but I had no recollection of any mention of her being an electrician and strong recall of the “track saved me from the ghetto (from the ghetto...)” narrative. I actually assumed she was just out of college.

Which brings me to an overarching theme wrt the constructed personal narratives that leaves me really uncomfortable.

While most of the fauxmates actually seem to have similar origin stories (grew up in impoverished areas and/or surrounded by violence or drugs but had some reason to be the “exception” who  didn’t follow or remain a part of that cycle—already a problematic and questionable portrayal), the impetus for that shift is depicted, almost without exception, as being of two camps, separated by racial identity: self-motivated (“pulled him/herself up by his/her bootstraps) or due to the support/push of someone else (of the individual’s inherent gift or talent), even though they all seem to have experienced a combination of both.

(I guess Andrew would fall outside this origin story pattern, but he likely would never have been cast without the son/dad duo angle, and I’m not sure about Alan’s backstory before he became a waaah-Murica-hates-racist-cops-and-damn-criminals-deserve-what-they-get-but-why-everybody-be-hatin-on-cops-no-fair law man, before 60 35 Days In taught him that Oh People In Jail Are People Too. Except For Angele, Whose Stupid Rule-Breaking Totes Ruined My Plan To Buy Meth).

But I guess this is veering off Angele-Demone topic and into something more general, but I think this critique of Angele’s thread title is really more a reflection of A&E’s portrayal of her, which is thus questionable, which then requires one to question all the portrayals. And they’re obviously both oversimplified and a small sample set, but, at first glance, I don’t like the answers I can get.

• Love 2

Did she turn 26 or 16 while locked up? She seems to have no understanding of consequence and behaves like a teenager who just had her first kiss. And just because Rhianna sang about finding love in a hopeless place doesn't make it a good thing.  Your smile and dimples don't make you as adorable and charming as you think.

• Love 7
On 3/17/2018 at 8:44 PM, keke23 said:

Did she turn 26 or 16 while locked up? She seems to have no understanding of consequence and behaves like a teenager who just had her first kiss. And just because Rhianna sang about finding love in a hopeless place doesn't make it a good thing.  Your smile and dimples don't make you as adorable and charming as you think.

I agree she is very immature

• Love 1

I think Angele needs some serious therapy.  When the inmates through the birthday party for her, Angele acted as if it was the best thing that had ever happened to her.  Think about that.  Angele is 26 years old and the best thing that ever happened to her were a group of inmates throwing her a birthday party?  Angele felt loved in prison!  That is just sad.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Madmankm said:

Typical hood rat....

I admit, I had to look up what hood rat meant.  Based on the urban dictionary, a hood rat is "A girl who sleeps with various men in the neighborhood. Usually noticeable via her slacking standards of personal care."  I also grabbed the Oxford dictionary definition which says "A young person (especially a woman) who lives in or comes from a deprived inner-city area and is regarded as disreputable or sexually promiscuous."  I can't necessarily agree with this assessment since we don't know how promiscuous Angele is.  Yes, she referenced past relationships but that doesn't mean she sleeps around, nor is there evidence of her being disreputable based on her sexual history.  I can kind of see why someone may think she sleeps around since she did get into a sexual relationship with Gabby, but we don't know how many other people she's had sexual relations with nor do we know how serious those relationships were.  This is also edging the line of possibly being a comment on her ethnicity.  I hope that is not the intention....

I still think she's someone who needs therapy and needs to grow up, but I don't agree with her being a "hood rat". 

• Love 2

I think Angele needs some serious therapy and I think she is incredibly naive and gullible but I don’t think she’s a hood rat.  She’s made poor choices but I think at heart she’s a good person.

The only other place I’ve heard the term “hood rat” was in the Disney movie Aladdin.  Isn’t that what they called him? I only saw the movie once so my memory is fuzzy on it.  I’m sure they weren’t calling Aladdin promiscuous.

• LOL 1