Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Domestic Goddess of All Media

tessaray

Hee; the "I thought you were dead" jokes are sure to amuse me.  I'm one of the few who liked the "it was all a book" reveal of the finale, but if they're going to come back I definitely want Dan alive, so I'll happily go along with a wink-and-nod retcon.

So Darlene and her kids are newly living with Dan and Roseanne, as expected, and with Darlene in D.J.'s old room and the kids in the girls' old room?  I'm surprised there isn't one kid per room and Darlene in the basement, so maybe yet another Conner kid is back home, too?

• Love 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

That would be Becky.

Oh, is that confirmed?  I wondered, but hadn't seen anything.

So - she's been there a while, and Darlene and kids moving back is new, as the revival starts?  Maybe she's displaced from her old room by their arrival?

I look forward to finding out.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
Just now, Bastet said:

Oh, is that confirmed?  I wondered, but hadn't seen anything.

I'm judging by her wearing a football jersey and Birkenstocks and cleaning the coffee table. If she didn't live there, she'd be wearing much nicer clothes - Becky always took pride in her appearance, so I don't see her wearing such shlubby clothes outside of her home -  and I doubt she would be cleaning.

• Love 1
On 3/6/2018 at 8:52 PM, chocolatine said:

I'm judging by her wearing a football jersey and Birkenstocks and cleaning the coffee table. If she didn't live there, she'd be wearing much nicer clothes - Becky always took pride in her appearance, so I don't see her wearing such shlubby clothes outside of her home -  and I doubt she would be cleaning.

I just looked at some videos, stills, and synopses from an article posted in the Revival thread, and it turns out she's cleaning (in the second episode) because she's bringing Andrea (Sarah Chalke, the woman for whom she's going to be a surrogate) over to meet the family later, and wants things to look better than they are (thus getting rid of all the fat pictures). 

In a clip from the first episode, we learn that she's not living there (she's giving Darlene grief about moving back in with mommy and daddy).

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I just looked at some videos, stills, and synopses from an article posted in the Revival thread, and it turns out she's cleaning (in the second episode) because she's bringing Andrea (Sarah Chalke, the woman for whom she's going to be a surrogate) over to meet the family later, and wants things to look better than they are (thus getting rid of all the fat pictures). 

In a clip from the first episode, we learn that she's not living there (she's giving Darlene grief about moving back in with mommy and daddy).

They also have her dressed up as a suburban soccer mom. Pretty hysterical since we know her actual style seems to be that nouveau grunge look.

• Love 2

As she did as Darlene Teen Years. I personally think Sara Gilbert looks great and she wears her style well. They dressed her like a soccer mom really? LOL! I don't know how I missed that. I was just excited to see them. "Dweeb. dweeb. dweeeb .dweeb!" Darlene Conner

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

The season 10 opening credits and I'd be lying if I said this didn't make me nostalgic:

Aww. Yup, that just hit my nostalgic sweet spot. I love that Dan and Roseanne are laughing in unison this time. And I'm glad we're back to the rotating-the-camera-around-the- table credits. I didn't care for the morphing pictures opening credits.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

The season 10 opening credits and I'd be lying if I said this didn't make me nostalgic:

So cute! Looks like they're having Mexican food, what with Becky working at a Mexican restaurant. Darlene fighting with her surly teenager instead of being one herself. Harris bears a strong resemblance to Darlene, but she's so tall, it's hard to believe her parents are Darlene and David.

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

No, Becky dresses up as a soccer mom in the second episode.

Probably because she's trying to impress Sarah Chalke's character.

I think both Lecy and Sara Gilbert look great, hard to believe they're in their 40s. I love that Darlene has kept pretty much the same style over the years; only her hair is shorter.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Aww. Yup, that just hit my nostalgic sweet spot. I love that Dan and Roseanne are laughing in unison this time. And I'm glad we're back to the rotating-the-camera-around-the- table credits. I didn't care for the morphing pictures opening credits.

I didn’t mind the morphing pictures. They would have been good if they were focusing on the original cast. Having them go from season 1 to mid series to season 9 to now would have been cool. It does look like an updated kitchen table in the reboot. 

The more I see from the reboot, the more excited I am getting. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Same here!! Loved them both laughing and I’m also glad they went with the table credits. It feels so much more homey and warm. 

• Love 3

It was a good move to keep it. I used to always look forward to see the seasons menu. I swear after all these years I can read lip most of the lines. OH>>>I'm gonna need TAGS as well pretty please!

Sorry...Wrong thread.

Edited by FairyDusted

I think one of Roseanne's best moments is the episode where Darlene wants David to live with them because living with his mother is terrible especially since Mark left. Dan and Roseanne obviously say no but when Roseanne goes to David's house  and sees how his drunken mom verbally abuses him AND calls Becky and Darlene "whores", she's "Yeah, David will be staying with us now."

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 11

"It's people like you who give white trash a bad name."

Seriously, my favorite Roseanne scene in the entire series. My favorite Dan scene is in the episode where we find out that Fisher is abusing Jackie, & Roseanne takes her to an out-of-town hospital to get checked out. Dan doesn't say a word, just goes to the mudroom & grabs his coat, & you know he's going to take Fisher down. John Goodman is just so good in that scene & the scene in the next episode, when Dan is in jail & Roseanne sends Darlene to bail him out. 

Darlene: "I bet when you pictured this scenario in your mind, the roles were reversed." (meaning Darlene was in jail & Dan was bailing her out)

Dan: "Come on Darlene, I don't have time for this." 

Darlene: "Oh, I think you do."

• Love 15
19 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I think one of Roseanne's best moments is the episode where Darlene wants David to live with them because living with his mother is terrible especially since Mark left. Dan and Roseanne obviously say no but when Roseanne goes to David's house  and sees how his drunken mom verbally abuses him AND calls Becky and Darlene "whores", she's "Yeah, David will be staying with us now."

Wow, she did? I don't remember that part about her calling Darlene and Becky whores. I wonder if that got edited out on subsequent reruns. I do remember that she seemed liked Cathy Moriarty on crack.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Wow, she did? I don't remember that part about her calling Darlene and Becky whores. I wonder if that got edited out on subsequent reruns. I do remember that she seemed liked Cathy Moriarty on crack.

Amazon Prime has the unedited version.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Amazon Prime has the unedited version.

Hmm. I was pretty young when the show aired (2 to 11) so I only really watched the latter seasons in real time. Most of it I watched in reruns on TBS back in the mid/late 90's. It's interesting to learn that.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Hmm. I was pretty young when the show aired (2 to 11) so I only really watched the latter seasons in real time. Most of it I watched in reruns on TBS back in the mid/late 90's. It's interesting to learn that.

I'm pretty sure TBS heavily edits all of their syndication shows. Anyhoo, if you have an Amazon Prime membership you can stream all of the original, unedited Roseanne episodes for free. They also have a free one-month trial.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I've watched it on either TV Land or Nick, & it's unedited, even recently. I just IMDBed the actual quote, & while it does not in any way do this scene justice (it's seriously one of her best ever!), it's verbatim, according to my photographic memory. 

Barbara Healy: [shouting at David] You think you can live without me? You think you could survive for two minutes out there in that world, unless I was taking care of you? You are worthless! You are a worthless little *bastard*!

Roseanne: Okay, I've changed my mind. David, you can come live with us if you want to.

Barbara Healy: Are you trying to steal my kid?

Roseanne: Oh, this has nothing to do with stealing anything. Whether he runs away, or comes and lives at my place, he is *not* gonna stay here with *you*.

Barbara Healy: Listen to me. I don't want you... butting in, telling me... how to raise my kids! Take a look at the two little *whores* you raised!

Roseanne: [gets in Barbara's face] Oh... uh, I'm in this now... You know, if your kid wasn't here, I would take the opportunity to remind you that people... who live in glass *whore-houses* shouldn't throw stones. It's people like you that give white-trash a bad name.

• Love 7

They totally edit on TVLand. It pisses me off too. Sometimes the whole B story is missing so the one liners SEEM out of nowhere. The Ads al hella long at night so they do it then. I don't think it has anything to do with the content. Just ad time unfortunately. Both episodes mentioned above are my favorites too. I have a few others for totally different reasons.

• Love 4

My top three:

"Toto, We're Not in Kansas Anymore"John SguegliaGrace McKeaneyMarch 28, 1989219

A dangerous tornado is heading for Lanford, and the Conners, along with Crystal (who takes shelter at their house), do their best to prepare for the storm. But problems arise: Becky insists on trying to care for her pet guinea pigs, while Jackie goes to the grocery store and barely returns to shelter in time, prompting a fight with her sister.

"Communicable Theater"John WhitesellJennifer Heath and Amy ShermanFebruary 19, 199141829.4[34]

Roseanne lends more than moral support when Jackie has a role in the community-theater presentation of 'Cyrano de Bergerac.'

"Scenes from a Barbecue"John WhitesellBob Myer and Chuck LorreMay 7, 199142325.6[37]

The Conners hold a Mother's Day barbecue at which feisty Nana Mary displays her acts of motherhood on Bev, surprising Roseanne and Jackie with how alike their relationships are. Bonnie sings.

And of course the early Halloween and Thanksgiving episodes.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

"Communicable Theater"John WhitesellJennifer Heath and Amy ShermanFebruary 19, 199141829.4[34]

Roseanne lends more than moral support when Jackie has a role in the community-theater presentation of 'Cyrano de Bergerac.'

That one's hilarious.

Jackie: "You can't read me my lines!" (or something to that effect)

Roseanne: "Why not, they're doing it!" 

And then there's poor Dan :p. 

Good list there. The tornado one is quite relatable to those of us who live in Tornado Alley. I like when Becky's talking about needing to call her friend and say she can't come over, and Roseanne goes, "Well, you can tell her when her house flies by." 

• Love 6

I'm not sure if we're supposed to have a separate ratings thread but the show opened huge

The revival of “Roseanne” opened to big ratings for ABC Tuesday night — bigger than just about any non-sports show on the broadcast networks this season, in fact.

The show debuted to a 5.1 rating in adults 18-49 and 18.16 million viewers. Only the post-Super Bowl “This Is Us” had a better 18-49 rating this season.

It also went up in the second half hour, from a 4.9 to a 5.3.

The second episode was even better than the first so this is fantastic!

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 9

I bet real money that the execs at ABC are doing everything in their power to get the cast signed to another season. Those kind of numbers just don't happen for scripted shows anymore.

• Love 7

I’m kinda obsessing over this diner right now and I just read another article about it and I HAD to share, from this article:  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-03-14/features/9303192073_1_roseanne-tom-tom-arnold-abc-series-roseanne

Still, it's the Loose Meat at $1.75 ($1.95 with cheese) that's the big seller among "Roseanne" fans, and they pack the place on the weekends, according to Izzy Miller, 16, one of the waiters.

WHAT? Y’all remember that “Izzy Miller” was the name of the friend that DJ said when Dan asked who his friend was (meaning the annoying George, who was currently in their home and then Dan says that he knows Izzy is his friend but who is this kid here, meaning George). So that must’ve been some kind of shoutout to that kid waiter. I always thought that name was too random to be fake.

EDIT: I figured it out, according to this: http://www.eeggs.com/items/20438.html Izzy is the adopted son of Tom Arnold’s brother. *cough* The way they set the scene up in that description isn’t the way it happened in my memory..anyone?

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

If anyone wants to make a loose meat sandwich, here is the recipe and it also features Sarah Chalke and Michael Fishman trying them out and a little info about how much they all ate the sandwiches on set: https://www.delish.com/food/a19608566/roseanne-loose-meat-sandwich-video/

I wonder if the mustard tones down the Worcestershire sauce.  I tried a recipe last night without mustard but the same amount of sauce, and it ended up overpowering the meat.

3 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I bet real money that the execs at ABC are doing everything in their power to get the cast signed to another season. Those kind of numbers just don't happen for scripted shows anymore.

I think they'll wait to see what the numbers are over the next couple of weeks, to see if people tuned in for the first night for the nostalgia/novelty factor and in response to all the hype but then didn't go on to make it a weekly thing, but if the rest of the revival puts up good numbers, I agree that we'll get another mini-season if the cast is up for it. 

I would bet that they’d want the another season considering that they’re losing The Middle next month and Modern Family is probably ending in the next year or two. I’m not sure how successful their other comedies are (I only watch the Middle and occasionally the Goldbergs), but they’re so fickle to cancel new shows that they might want another hit series to help lead in the other shows. 

• Love 2