Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Domestic Goddess of All Media

tessaray

1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

Laurie Metcalf is a pretty busy actress. I just have a hard time believing she'd sign on to the show just to play Gilligan Jackie again. Same for John Goodman. I can't see him coming back for crap material.

This. I'm giving the show the benefit of the doubt because of this alone.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I don't think that an indicator of 'kooky Jackie'. I have a pink She Persisted shirt that I wear regularly and get complimented on every.single.time

And my p**** hat is proudly displayed in my living room. I think marching on DC last January was the best thing I've ever done and I'm dang proud of it.

I take Jackie wearing those items has having the courage of her convictions and standing up for what she believes in.

So you don't think her being dressed like that on a sitcom is just going for a cheap laugh?

I'm not making a comment on the real world meaning of those items, but rather how they are being used in the revival.

9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Laurie Metcalf is a pretty busy actress. I just have a hard time believing she'd sign on to the show just to play Gilligan Jackie again. Same for John Goodman. I can't see him coming back for crap material.

I believe that Laurie is responsible for kooky Jackie. Others think it was the writers.

Yes, some characterization comes from the writers, but most comes from the actors themselves. That is their primary contribution to the creative process.

A writer can give them lines to say, but how they deliver them comes from the actor.

Laurie's playing of the role is unique to Laurie. Any other actress would have done it differently. I give her all the credit when it comes to how she gave life to Jackie Harris.

But I also give her blame when it comes to the decline of the character. 

Roseanne was a runaway hit and she was a big part of that. I can't imagine Roseanne/the producers coming to her around season 6 and being like "let's start slowly turning Jackie into a goofball" and she just went along with it against her better judgement.

At the very least, Laurie was complicit with the change. At worst, it was at Laurie's direction, possibly having something to do with having her first chiĺd. She took her lines and used the Jim Carrey approach to deliver them instead.

Others here have speculated on the pregnancy thing causing the change, it's not just me. Just saying lol...

Edited by Mmmfloorpie

To be honest I think most of the time the actors say the lines they're given and cash their paycheques.  It's the rare situation where they have any real input into their characters.  I think we as the audience are way more invested in the "real" person we see on the screen than the actor who plays that person is,

• Love 2

I was on a another well known site earlier. She may have made a mistake bringing politics into this at all. The vast majority of posters were saying they had been looking forward to the revival and now they will never, ever watch it. She may have just shot herself in the foot.

• Love 5

I think it's one thing to keep personal politics off this board but if the show and the actors involved bring politics into it then no one can be surprised if that becomes a topic of discussion.  That said I was already on the fence about Roseanne (the show) coming back - I feel that the show had started to tank well before they won the lottery so I'm not convinced I'm going to get back the show I loved anyway, add in Trump, yay or nay,  and I don't think I'll be tuning in.

• Love 6

My issue and frankly my disappointment isn't that politics were brought into it. It's at the politics that are apparently being brought in don't mesh with the characters that were established in the original run of the show. I see that as an indicator that this revival will disappoint me because the characters won't be the ones that I remember so fondly.

• Love 10

They will be the same characters. Are you exactly the same as you were over 20 years ago? I know I'm not.

Life happens. People change. Their wants/needs/expectations change. Most people don't agree with every single aspect of any political party or agenda. Many times it's like a buffet where you have to pick and choose from your beliefs - you like mashed potatoes and brown gravy. The buffet has mashed potatoes, which you love, but chicken gravy, which you're not all that crazy about. You get the mashed potatoes and skip the gravy. It doesn't have to be all black and white, and in most cases, it isn't.  I personally vote for the person, not the party.

That being said, whatever the views of the characters, I personally loved them as just people. (They felt like real people to me anyway: )  but just like our real family and friends, we don't always agree on politics, life events - you don't agree on many things, but you don't stop liking/loving them just because of that. You stop liking/loving people because they hurt you personally in some way - physically, mentally, emotionally, etc. And someone mentioned in another thread that in an interview, Sara Gilbert said that they aren't all going to see eye-to-eye on everything but that they'll work it out as a family with love. 

2 minutes ago, llewis823 said:

Are you exactly the same as you were over 20 years ago? I know I'm not.

Roseanne was in her 40s twenty years ago - do people change an awful lot between 40 and 60?  Not in my experience.  Maybe get a little grumpier :) but politically I dunno.  I can see getting a little more conservative if you're already of a conservative bent but to a 180 (or is it 360) anyway to go from one end of the political spectrum to the other is going to take some explaining - and frankly if I want my TV with a dose of politics I will watch the late shows or I will watch the news I won't watch sitcoms!  I'm hoping that I will visit here after the new show airs and people will be saying it's not like some of us are expecting and it will be worth watching (I said I'd never watch Young Sheldon and it's now one of my favourite new shows so maybe!) but in the meantime I'm not happy about them changing a pivotal character in this way.  I want my Roseanne back!

• Love 6

I am about as bleeding heart as they come but it doesn't bother me that Roseanne supports Trump or that her character does.

What I AM concerned about is whether the show will be as witty and compelling as the original was.

All of the revivals have been garbage. I had the highest of hopes with Fuller House but found that to be really stupidly written.

The problem with the revivals is they write them as a modern sitcom. Us hardcore fans don't want a modern sitcom. We want an 80s style sitcom and I think the producers are too scared to give us that in fear of alienating new audiences.

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

anyway to go from one end of the political spectrum to the other is going to take some explaining

I never thought of them as Democrats or Republicans in the 80's either so to me, I don't see there  being much change to their core beliefs/politics. I watched (and will watch) the show for the relationship dynamics, not the 80's shock value of Roseanne being kissed by a woman, nor the current shock value of gender neutral kids. I love the way Roseanne was the boss when she needed to be, but also let Dan take the reins sometimes too. I like how she and Jackie would stand up for each other to anyone and anything. I like how Roseanne was not the mushy, gushing perfect mom, who could throw out the one-line zingers with the best of them, but you knew she loved her kids more than anything. None of that has one thing to do with their political views - then or now.

Most of all, overall they were - and still will be - like real people. (albeit the stupid lottery stuff) I'm not worried about who they voted for - but if they don't have real relationships with each other or real life situations, then I will be very disappointed. I am just very optimistic it will be like old times...I mean they still have THE SAME COUCH!

Edited by llewis823
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

but to [do] a 180 (or is it 360)

It's 180, i.e. the opposite of where you started. 360 is a full circle, i.e. back to where you started.

I think it's realistic that within a family people have different political views but still love each other, because life is not all about politics. As long as the show is poignant and funny like it used to be before S6, I'll watch.

• Love 4

It's realistic for people within a family to have different political views. I'm not buying that Roseanne the character would be a Trump supporter. Roseanne the character and the show were progressive and took a lot of flak for it. I can see Bev maybe. I'm thinking an argument could be made for pretty much anyone except Roseanne and Darlene. 

People are entitled to their political views. I just think it's character assassination to have Roseanne the feminist be a Trump supporter. 

Like others, I don't remember actual politicians being a part of the show. I don't need to watch any more divisiveness. I've seen plenty in real life. I'm really disappointed and I won't watch.

also: pussyhats are cat ears. Are asterisks needed? 

Edited by PuhLeeze
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, PuhLeeze said:

I'm not buying that Roseanne the character would be a Trump supporter. Roseanne the character and the show were progressive and took a lot of flak for it. I can see Bev maybe. I'm thinking an argument could be made for pretty much anyone except Roseanne and Darlene. 

Roseanne explains why she made her character a Trump supporter here. I agree with you though, it just doesn't mesh with the character of Roseanne that I remember from the 90's. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, PuhLeeze said:

It's realistic for people within a family to have different political views. I'm not buying that Roseanne the character would be a Trump supporter. Roseanne the character and the show were progressive and took a lot of flak for it. I can see Bev maybe. I'm thinking an argument could be made for pretty much anyone except Roseanne and Darlene. 

People are entitled to their political views. I just think it's character assassination to have Roseanne the feminist be a Trump supporter. 

Like others, I don't remember actual politicians being a part of the show. I don't need to watch any more divisiveness. I've seen plenty in real life. I'm really disappointed and I won't watch.

also: pussyhats are cat ears. Are asterisks needed? 

6 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

Roseanne explains why she made her character a Trump supporter here. I agree with you though, it just doesn't mesh with the character of Roseanne that I remember from the 90's. 

I almost have to fanwank that during the hiatus that the character of Roseanne attended some sort of Democratic Women's Meeting for Hillary supporters.  When she got there, she found a lot of snobby ivy league educated women who mocked her for not feeding her family expensive purely organic food and looked down at her blue collarness.  She goes home fed up in what she believes in supporting a party that never supports her back and does the unthinkable...casts a vote for Trump.

• Love 6

I can completely see the Connor's being Trump supporters.  It's a different world than it was in the early 90's.  The Connor's are exactly the type of family that Trump appealed to in the most recent election.  He wouldn't have been who they voted for in 1989, but I can see them voting for him in 2016.  Grudgingly.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, allienc said:

I can completely see the Connor's being Trump supporters.  It's a different world than it was in the early 90's.  The Connor's are exactly the type of family that Trump appealed to in the most recent election.  He wouldn't have been who they voted for in 1989, but I can see them voting for him in 2016.  Grudgingly.

I agree. A lot of working class Democrats switched and voted Trump.

• Love 6
On 1/11/2018 at 5:14 PM, PuhLeeze said:

Like others, I don't remember actual politicians being a part of the show.

"A tornado is raw, wild, untamed -- what's the word I'm looking for?"
"George Bush?"

But, generally, yes, those who've said specific political figures of the time have not been named, just their policies consistently explored (and sometimes local political figures made up to represent them), are correct.

These are unprecedented times in life, though - it's precisely why families in which members have voted differently for many elections have rolled with that in the past yet are now irrevocably altered and sometimes even fractured by the "Wait, you did what?" implications - and thus must also be so on a show that is so dedicated to reflecting real life and how politics affects that life.

16 hours ago, allienc said:

I can completely see the Connor's being Trump supporters.

I can see some Conners having voted for him, but I believe Roseanne Conner would have had some rather choice thoughts on his appeals to the working class (among other things, but specific to that line of reasoning for why the character voted for him, I don't buy it, because I think she'd have regarded him as a Manhattan gasbag pandering to people he, just like the usual politicians she was so tired of, knew nothing about) that would not have led to her voting for him. 

I'm in for the discussion, especially given the enduring myth working class voters put Trump in office, but I hope Roseanne Barr being the ultimate word doesn't mean the discussion makes for skewed characterization.  And Roseanne vs. Jackie as the primary Trump vs. Clinton conversation doesn't bode well for that.  But I will absolutely tune in to see; this show has meant far too much to me to not give it a chance.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

Oh, I can definitely relate to this sentiment. My problem with it being on my TV is that it’s emotionally exhausting enough to live it, let alone watch some of my favorite TV characters go through it all. Also, in my experience, this whole “divided by politics, filled with love” thing isn’t necessarily realistic. It’s hard to pretend that you never learned the things you’ve learned about people once thought patterns have been laid bare. 

I did a little snipping of your post to get to what I wanted to comment on, but yes, this!! 

I hope they truly are able to mend fences and get past it and move on. I hope they listen to each other. I don’t want to see anymore politics than that. Roseanne and Jackie always had a pretty wonderful (and also complicated) relationship, and I’d hate to lose that just so they can include the politics, and even in including the politics, there’s only so much realistic depiction of how this whole thing is affecting real families that they can do.

In my immediate family, I’m the lone blue dot who had to learn to just shut up and deal if I still wanted to be accepted at family gatherings. There was no listening or trying to understand me. I soon found out that I was wrong and that was all. Sadly, I don’t talk to my family nearly as much as I used to because of this. They threatened to cut me off completely.  I’m glad I live in a whole different city.

I really, really hope they don’t go back to kooky Jackie, especially in light of the fact that she and Roseanne are on opposing political sides. Jackie (and her opinions) tended to get crapped on a lot during the show and if they’re going to go back to that just to set up a dichotomy where it’s completely obvious to anyone with a brain that Jackie is completely wrong to be on the side she’s on politically.....ugh. I won’t even be angry, but it’ll hurt to have this whole movement trivialized like that. 

I realize that I could be taking this entirely too seriously. It’s TV, after all. To be clear, I’m perfectly fine with people having different opinions, but I wholeheartedly believe that we got into this mess because nobody wanted to listen to each other.......and that’s not going to happen on a half hour comedy. Roseanne being the top dog makes me think that when they do bring in the politics, it’ll be demonstrated that of course voting for Trump was the right thing to do, end of story. If so, I won’t be watching the rest of the season. 

This is what I’m counting on. Honestly, I’m just in this revival to watch the two of them. If they go back to Gilligan Jackie and/or give either Laurie or John crap material, I’m out. 

The reason I say mend fences and move on is because (for anyone who doesn't know), from what I know of the premiere, Jackie and Roseanne haven't spoken since the election.

In one of the publicity pics you can see a picture of Jackie as a cop up on a shelf above a the phone in the kitchen with a black ribbon over it. Like they are mourning the loss of conservative Jackie.

Apparently the first episode will revolve around them getting back together.

If they want to make the odd Trump joke fine. Just not an entire storyline please lol.

• Love 4
On 1/11/2018 at 3:34 PM, llewis823 said:

I never thought of them as Democrats or Republicans in the 80's either so to me, I don't see there  being much change to their core beliefs/politics. I watched (and will watch) the show for the relationship dynamics, not the 80's shock value of Roseanne being kissed by a woman, nor the current shock value of gender neutral kids. I love the way Roseanne was the boss when she needed to be, but also let Dan take the reins sometimes too. I like how she and Jackie would stand up for each other to anyone and anything. I like how Roseanne was not the mushy, gushing perfect mom, who could throw out the one-line zingers with the best of them, but you knew she loved her kids more than anything. None of that has one thing to do with their political views - then or now.

Most of all, overall they were - and still will be - like real people. (albeit the stupid lottery stuff) I'm not worried about who they voted for - but if they don't have real relationships with each other or real life situations, then I will be very disappointed. I am just very optimistic it will be like old times...I mean they still have THE SAME COUCH!

Not to be THAT person, but that episode aired in 1994. :)

• Love 5

No more personal politics in this forum. Recent offending posts have been removed; warnings will be issued from here on. Rule of thumb: if someone reading your post could likely tell what candidate or party you support, don't post it. If you're not sure if your post crosses the line, don't test the line; fix the post.

On 1/9/2018 at 4:23 PM, Stacey1014 said:

I can’t see Mark joining the military. He was a hard worker, but he wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, so I can’t see him passing the ASVAB.  He was probably in his early/mid 20s, so he might have been too old to enlist. Also, if he died in the military, there would have been a decent life insurance policy for Becky and whatever children they had, so she wouldn’t be struggling that much financially. I’m thinking that it will be a car accident or some other freak accident or possibly some sort of illness; I’d rather one of them instead of an overdose. Mark never came off as a drug user. 

Having myself served at the tail end of the two wars, I will say that it wouldn't be a terribly far fetched for Mark to have joined the military and died. I joined in my mid-twenties, and some of my fellow recruits were as old as 40+. Plus during the height of the wars, military recruiting  standards got a little more lax. Mark was young, healthy, physically fit, and a talented mechanic, so he fit the bill at the time. So while I have no idea if that's what they'll go with, it isn't impossible.

I would like to get a little more info on DJ. I know he has always  been very much secondary to the rest of the Connors,  but I would like to get a scrap of what his storyline for the revival will be. And Andy and Jerry- I don't need them, but I hope we get an explanation about the whereabouts of both.

• Love 3
On 2/14/2018 at 12:14 PM, chocolatine said:

ABC is airing a 20/20 "Roseanne: The Return" special at 10pm tomorrow.

There are so many angry people that don't want to watch because Joy Behar is conducting the interview. I don't think they're seeing the irony and humor that Joy is doing this. They're both actually more alike than these super angry people realize. I personally can't wait!

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

There are so many angry people that don't want to watch because Joy Behar is conducting the interview. I don't think they're seeing the irony and humor that Joy is doing this.

Why are people angry? I don't know much about Joy Behar. Did she have a public fight with Roseanne?

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Why are people angry? I don't know much about Joy Behar. Did she have a public fight with Roseanne?

4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, what's the deal?

I don't want to get in trouble but it's due to Joy's political beliefs. Personally I think the two have a lot in common: funny, outspoken and very opinionated. 

• Love 3

I just did a quick google and it looks like Joy Behar has interviewed Roseanne in the past, if they had a run-in it didn't show up in my quick review of the top hits.  Is the anger because Joy is anti-Trump (loudly and angrily anti-Trump)?

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I just did a quick google and it looks like Joy Behar has interviewed Roseanne in the past, if they had a run-in it didn't show up in my quick review of the top hits.  Is the anger because Joy is anti-Trump (loudly and angrily anti-Trump)?

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head... I'm trying to be careful because I don't want to stretch the rules on the thread. I looked at some comments on facebook under posts relating to the special tonight and a lot of folks are angry.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I just want you to know that your avatar caused me to make chocolate croissaints. :-)

Edited by peacheslatour
Croissaints, not eclairs.
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I don't want to get in trouble but it's due to Joy's political beliefs. Personally I think the two have a lot in common: funny, outspoken and very opinionated. 

Journalists interview people with opposing beliefs all the time, it's part of the job. I for one think it makes for a more interesting discussion when interviewer and interviewee don't agree about everything, as long as everyone stays civil.

9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I just want you to know that your avatar caused me to make chocolate eclairs. :-)

Always happy to inspire pastry making/consumption, but just for the record I must clarify that the pastry in my avatar is a chocolate croissant. :)

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, FairyDusted said:

I'll be watching. I doubt very much that they will throw down over politics. Is it March 27th yet?

Oh I agree, lol. And even if they do - I like Joy Behar and Roseanne Barr. Two strong, outspoken comedian women who I may not always agree with but admire. People crying because Joy is anti-Trump and conducting the interview is silly to me. I can’t wait to watch ❤️

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, FairyDusted said:

I like them both. I don't choose comediennes along political lines. I don't have to agree with them but I do have to laugh. Actually, a refreshing pick!  

So far, all Joy is doing is reading what is basically Roseanne’s biography, so all of these angry people are missing out. ??‍♀️??‍♀️

• Love 6

Loved the 20/20 episode. I watched it twice last night. The only dissapointment was Joy narrating rather than an interview. I'll be looking for all those unanswered questions talked about. Only 8 episodes. I hope they are an hour. 

• Love 5

I got a kick out of hearing about how the higher ups at the network were all nervous about the whole "Jackie being abused by Fisher" storyline, and the whole thing about whether or not comedy shows should touch on such dark, serious issues. "All in the Family" says hi. 

• Love 13
41 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I did like the juicy tidbit that Kathy Bowman was based on Marcy Carsey.

I've known that for years.  Roseanne talked about it in one of her episode commentaries she did for the DVD, but I think it had come up in an interview before that, too.  It has always amused me.

• Love 5

Just saw a promo on ABC saying that they're going to show a special preview of the new Roseanne season during the Oscars next Sunday. Wouldn't it be cool if Laurie wins best supporting actress and the Roseanne preview is shown right after? Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

• Love 5