Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne: Domestic Goddess of All Media

tessaray

46 minutes ago, Neptune said:

So 21 years after the show ended, Becky is in her early 40s, has a trashy bicep tattoo, and is working as a waitress at a cheap Mexican (or possibly Italian) restaurant. This is really sad. I know becoming a doctor was a bit over-ambitious, but I was really hoping she would manage to become an EMT or nurse like she'd wanted.

147831_6711_FULL.jpg

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, chocolatine said:

So 21 years after the show ended, Becky is in her early 40s, has a trashy bicep tattoo, and is working as a waitress at a cheap Mexican (or possibly Italian) restaurant. This is really sad. I know becoming a doctor was a bit over-ambitious, but I was really hoping she would manage to become an EMT or nurse like she'd wanted.

147831_6711_FULL.jpg

Maybe she will get some training to be an EMT with the surrogate money?  It is so realistic, but sad that she ended this way.  It will make the reruns where Becky was the kid with the good grades who was on the path to success seem more poignant.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Why would someone hire a loser 40 something waitress to be their surrogate?

I’m not too familiar with surrogacy, but I’m surprised that someone in their 40s would be allowed to be a surrogate, unless it’s more “under the table”. 

1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Maybe she will get some training to be an EMT with the surrogate money?  It is so realistic, but sad that she ended this way.  It will make the reruns where Becky was the kid with the good grades who was on the path to success seem more poignant.

The one thing with Becky is that she always had a decent work ethic. She helped out at home, she always had a job. If she had a kid, maybe she realized that being an EMT wouldn’t be a good fit schedule-wise, especially as a single parent. Even if her parents were around, I could see her not wanting to dump her kid(s) on her family for them to take care of. If she went into the medical field, something like a medical assistant would probably be a better fit for her lifestyle. I just wonder if she still lives in the trailer park. 

• Love 1

Maybe she was on her way to that but Mark dying threw a big wrench in that? We don't know her life story just yet.

We're also forgetting that the economic downtown of 2008-2009 screwed over a LOT of people, and many people never recovered from it.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5

Isn't Becky pretty much exactly the type of person vulnerable to being exploited - or not, depending on the other parents - as a surrogate?  I'm eager to see how that storyline plays out, because it raises so many issues.  It's an interesting way of including Sarah Chalke, too.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Becky is a loser because she's in her 40s, has a tattoo and works in a restaurant?!  I don't think that makes someone a loser. 

It has nothing to do with her having a tattoo or working in a restaurant. Most people prefer their surrogates are young and healthy and have some education. Becky does not meet these criteria. Also surrogacy is expensive, you would want to be sure your child would have good medical care and the mother eat a healthful diet, not greasy spoon fare.

Edited by peacheslatour

I'm not bummed Crystal is appearing, as she was a big part of the show, but I'm not excited, either, as she bugged me.  But I am happy, because I think a small dose of her will be perfect, and I'm glad that's happening.

And, yay, Anne Marie!  Love her, and glad she'll be back along with Chuck.  I've been waiting for that news.

• Love 6

Just read an article saying the Roseanne character will be a Trump supporter because it's "realistic".  Not with the Roseanne I remember it's not!  This little decision may have cost them a viewer in me for sure.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm not bummed Crystal is appearing, as she was a big part of the show, but I'm not excited, either, as she bugged me.  But I am happy, because I think a small dose of her will be perfect, and I'm glad that's happening.

And, yay, Anne Marie!  Love her, and glad she'll be back along with Chuck.  I've been waiting for that news.

I don't think any of the characters will be exactly as they were on the original show.

It's been 20 years since they played any of them.

I am also not expecting Natalie West to have a big role. Her and Anne Marie/Chuckie will likely be used to fill in the background of a birthday party scene or some such event.

On 1/5/2018 at 11:42 PM, chocolatine said:

So 21 years after the show ended, Becky is in her early 40s, has a trashy bicep tattoo 

I'm fairly certain that's Lecy's real life tattoo. I've seen her with one in the past.

That said, I never thought Becky would get one, so I'm kind of surprised they didn't cover it with makeup. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, chocolatine said:

No Jerry or Andy?

I'm fine with Jerry being retconned out of existence. He was only added to explain away Roseanne's real life pregnancy.

I haven't heard any casting news about Andy---perhaps they will write it as Jackie and Andy don't have much of a relationship or something. Hard to believe Andy would already be 24! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CherryAmes said:

So does anyone know what happened to Mark?  I know the actor who played him died.  Do they plan to kill of the character?

I assume so, since Darlene and David named their son after him.  I don't think they'd have done that if he was alive; I think it was done in honor of his memory.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Maybe the Afghanistan or Iraq wars?

I can’t see Mark joining the military. He was a hard worker, but he wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, so I can’t see him passing the ASVAB.  He was probably in his early/mid 20s, so he might have been too old to enlist. Also, if he died in the military, there would have been a decent life insurance policy for Becky and whatever children they had, so she wouldn’t be struggling that much financially. I’m thinking that it will be a car accident or some other freak accident or possibly some sort of illness; I’d rather one of them instead of an overdose. Mark never came off as a drug user. 

• Love 1
On 1/6/2018 at 10:23 PM, Maharincess said:

Becky is a loser because she's in her 40s, has a tattoo and works in a restaurant?!  I don't think that makes someone a loser. 

I don’t think it makes her a loser either but it makes it all the more depressing, and IMO a cynical move on Roseanne Barr’s part. I could buy into her still struggling even after having gotten a college degree but if the story appears she hasn’t had real character growth, then I feel it’s a slap-in-the-face of the original recipe Becky who would have never settled for less. I always felt “trailer park Becky” with Sarah Chalke was more about Roseanne running out of ideas for the character after Lecy left for college and didn’t want to return.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Not4Me said:

I don’t think it makes her a loser either but it makes it all the more depressing, and IMO a cynical move on Roseanne Barr’s part. I could buy into her still struggling even after having gotten a college degree but if the story appears she hasn’t had real character growth, then I feel it’s a slap-in-the-face of the original recipe Becky who would have never settled for less. I always felt “trailer park Becky” with Sarah Chalke was more about Roseanne running out of ideas for the character after Lecy left for college and didn’t want to return.

Maybe it's a slap in the face to Lecy. She left the show to college and didn't exactly go onto bigger and better things after the show.

Make her character a washout after being a high achiever.

• Love 1

Man, could that girl be Sara's real life daughter or what?! She's the perfect mix of David and Darlene, looks-wise.

I am going to reserve judgement on Becky until the revival actually airs.

New 'Roseanne' revival photos hint at what's to come — and we're so excited

Yay! The chicken shirt! And LOL at Rosie and Dan still sharing that little bed.

Not going to let Roseanne being a  Trump supporter ruin the show for me. I will try to drown out the politics or FF any political conversations if I find them offensive or annoying.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

And LOL at Rosie and Dan still sharing that little bed.

I always wondered how comfortable they were sharing a queen bed, especially when they were both much heavier. And now Dan appears to have a sleep apnea machine. I've been told that it makes a lot of noise and I know some couples who've chosen to sleep apart because of it.

roseanne-today-180109-01_c9b8dcfb7721dc7

Not going to let Roseanne being a  Trump supporter ruin the show for me. I will try to drown out the politics or FF any political conversations if I find them offensive or annoying.

The article is quoting Sara Gilbert that the politics plot is about "a family that is divided by politics but still is filled with love." I can relate to that, and I'm sure many others can too.

Spoiler

I'm really sad that Darlene is separated from David. I understand that Johnny Galecki was only available for one episode, but the show could have worked around it without breaking them up.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Well at least it confirms what I’ve been thinking since the 90s about Roseanne (Barr), it sounds very self serving. I don’t know if I will watch it now despite my interest in the rest of the cast. I may just fast forward a lot of her dialogues. 

Edited by Not4Me
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

And LOL at Rosie and Dan still sharing that little bed.

I always wondered how comfortable they were sharing a queen bed, especially when they were both much heavier. And now Dan appears to have a sleep apnea machine. I've been told that it makes a lot of noise and I know some couples who've chosen to sleep apart because of it.

Dan and Roseanne sharing a queen bed is better than Mike and Molly sharing a full-size bed.

Early sleep apnea machines were noisy, but models today are much smaller and quieter. 

1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

I always wondered how comfortable they were sharing a queen bed, especially when they were both much heavier.

It's not even a queen; per the episode when they go shopping for a new mattress, it's a double.  Which I couldn't even sleep in with pets, let alone a second person.

The article is quoting Sara Gilbert that the politics plot is about "a family that is divided by politics but still is filled with love." I can relate to that, and I'm sure many others can too.

In any other administration on this or probably any other planet, yes, I could.  This one?  Nope. 

I'm really sad that Darlene is separated from David. I understand that Johnny Galecki was only available for one episode, but the show could have worked around it without breaking them up.

It doesn't bother me.  A majority of marriages of their duration would be over by now, and certainly most that came about because two late teens in their first/only relationship got knocked up and decided to marry and parent. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 10

The chicken shirt!! Good to see it again.

Wonder why DJ's kid's mother isn't mentioned. 

Why is Darlene wearing ripped jeans like she's 17? It ain't 1992 anymore, babe. 

Roseanne Conner was such a feminist, I don't understand her ever supporting 45. I can understand that maybe she thought he'd 'shake things up', but I don't see how she could ever look past the misogyny and actually vote for him. Maybe they intend to explain that, but I'm not sure how. 

Weighty matters, indeed, but still excited to see how they resolve all this!

• Love 6

Why even reference a real politician? The original show never did.

Make a show too topical and it has no replay value. Look at Murphy Brown. So many references to real world events from 30 years ago that I can't get into it.

• Love 2

I don't think it's going to be Roseanne on a soapbox. Apparently as the show begins, her and Jackie haven't spoken since the election. Obviously they mend fences. Hopefully that is the end of the politics.

I am more worried they are screwing up Jackie. Roseanne Barr is BSC and so is Roseanne Conner. So whatever. As long as the other characters around her melo her out, fine. Seasons 1-5.5 were like this but then her character really darkens and Jackie becomes Barney Fife.

I always associate the slow downfall of the show and that purple quilted coat she started wearing in season 5. As soon as that coat makes an appearance, she becomes really rude and nasty. I still like the later seasons but her behaviour goes from crass to cringeworthy.

Whoa, total tangent there. Back on topic lol.

Seeing the picture of Jackie in the P**** hat and pink shirt leads me to believe this is going to be kooky Jackie and not the insecure, neurotic Jackie we all love.

Take Roseanne's persona (whether fake or profound) with a grain of salt. Jackie is the north star on whether this will be any good.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

I don't think it's going to be Roseanne on a soapbox. Apparently as the show begins, her and Jackie haven't spoken since the election. Obviously they mend fences. Hopefully that is the end of the politics.

I am more worried they are screwing up Jackie. Roseanne Barr is BSC and so is Roseanne Conner. So whatever. As long as the other characters around her melo her out, fine. Seasons 1-5.5 were like this but then her character really darkens and Jackie becomes Barney Fife.

I always associate the slow downfall of the show and that purple quilted coat she started wearing in season 5. As soon as that coat makes an appearance, she becomes really rude and nasty. I still like the later seasons but her behaviour goes from crass to cringeworthy.

Whoa, total tangent there. Back on topic lol.

Seeing the picture of Jackie in the P**** hat and pink shirt leads me to believe this is going to be kooky Jackie and not the insecure, neurotic Jackie we all love.

Take Roseanne's persona (whether fake or profound) with a grain of salt. Jackie is the north star on whether this will be any good.

I don't think that an indicator of 'kooky Jackie'. I have a pink She Persisted shirt that I wear regularly and get complimented on every.single.time

And my p**** hat is proudly displayed in my living room. I think marching on DC last January was the best thing I've ever done and I'm dang proud of it.

I take Jackie wearing those items has having the courage of her convictions and standing up for what she believes in.

• Love 21