Type keyword(s) to search

New Year's Eve (CNN) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So, for the past I don't know how many New Year's Eve, I've been tuning into Anderson and Kathy and I've really enjoyed. I was, of course, disappointed to hear that Kathy got fired and then when I heard that Andy Cohen was taking her place, I thought… this could be interesting.

Boy was I wrong. So far this is a shit show. Nothing is working. I love me some housewives but keep it to Bravo unless they get arrested. Even the music sucks. It just all seems so frenetic.

• Love 12

Well, this is awkward. For guys that tour doing a show together they do not seem to have much chemistry.  Hate to say it, Anderson, but Kathy Griffin definitely brought out the best in you. Andy does nothing nothing for you.

• Love 18

I tried searching for a thread for Andy & Andy's New Years show and didn't see this thread was already here. Sorry!

This has been boring so far. I've been flipping between this and ABC. Mostly keeping it on CNN since the musical guests on ABC haven't made me want to keep watching when I've flipped over that way. Haven't checked out Steve Harvey's FOX thing though.

1 hour ago, Susie Diamond said:

I can't tell you if Britney had so plastic surgery or not because I missed it. This show… I got distracted watching dust accumulate.

I missed them showing her too and I've been watching. Guess I was to interested in what I was doing online.

Here's Celine. Maybe she'll do her man stance. Andy and Anderson are excited to see her.

Edited by Jaded
52 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I tried searching for a thread for Andy & Andy's New Years show and didn't see this thread was already here. Sorry!

This has been boring so far. I've been flipping between this and ABC. Mostly keeping it on CNN since the musical guests on ABC haven't made me want to keep watching when I've flipped over that way. Haven't checked out Steve Harvey's FOX thing though.

I missed them showing her too and I've been watching. Guess I was to interested in what I was doing online.

Here's Celine. Maybe she'll do her man stance. The Andys are excited to see her.

Unfortunately, I watched the ABC one and if you thought Mariah was bad last year, this marks a bigger wtf with Mariah wearing a scantily clad dress showing the puppies out on full force in 10 degree weather. And I think her voice is gone. 

• Love 4

Does  CNN show the performances? I don't think so but memory may fail. So far, it's a lot of unfunny efforts to keep the energy up. Really, really hard to believe these two appear on stage together in a show. They need some writers, or acts to comment on.... something to give them things to talk and joke about. (No, no no to "Wolf Blitzer's Greatest Hits". If you want to be The Late Show, you need some -genuine- comedy writers!)

• Love 3

Why even show Celine Dion if CNN could only afford 30 seconds of her song supposedly? 

I'm surprised I haven't nodded off while watching this. I thought the two of them together might be kind of fun. Andy has had to finish Anderson's lines more then once when Anderson couldn't stop uhhhing and ummming. 

Did they even talk to Britney earlier or just show her on screen?

Edited by Jaded
4 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

Not a great show but the best of a bad bunch.  Remember the days when there was real entertainment to watch on New Year's Eve?

I miss Guy Lombardo.

• Love 6

CNN  - this sucked!!  Get Kathy back or retire Anderson Cooper from this gig. He doesn't have nearly enough personality to entertain for 4 hours and adding Andy Cohen to the mix did not help. Ryan Seacrest seemed much smoother. I was bored stiff. 

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Unfortunately, I watched the ABC one and if you thought Mariah was bad last year, this marks a bigger wtf with Mariah wearing a scantily clad dress showing the puppies out on full force in 10 degree weather. And I think her voice is gone. 

But if they ever do make a movie out of Gilligan's Island, please cast Mariah as Lovey Howell.  That's who she looked like to me with the fur and dressed to the nines. And she's so OTT it's hilarious. I hope she found her hot tea!

Happy New Year's! 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

Not a great show but the best of a bad bunch.  Remember the days when there was real entertainment to watch on New Year's Eve?

16 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I miss Guy Lombardo.

I was thinking the same thing. All the NYE specials back then were classier. The shows today seem to be loud and obnoxious, filled drunk and almost-drunk people acting like idiots on camera.

I would rather watch Anderson and Andy have sex than see them co-host again, but then again, I thought Anderson and Kathy were awful to watch too.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I would rather watch Anderson and Andy have sex than see them co-host again, but then again, I thought Anderson and Kathy were awful to watch too.

Not sure about the first part, but I wasn't a huge fan of Kathy and Anderson.  Lots of cringing going on there for me, but Mr ebk was a fan of Kathy.

I must say I enjoyed Don Lemon and Brooke...someone... second-lining in NOLA just now.  More music - less people being weird on camera.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

And here's Keith Urban in a down parka doing a wide-ranging medley.  He sounds good.  He looks cold.

And, for some idiotic reason, when Keith was in the home stretch of his 'dead musicians medley' and was bringing his famous wife onstage to sing a Tom Petty song with him, CNN decided that was the exact time they should cut away from them and go to some nonsense elsewhere...

Keith did one of those death medleys for 2016 too (another bad year for musicians), so I see this is becoming a tradition.  But he is talented, for the most part, so he can pull it off.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I was thinking the same thing. All the NYE specials back then were classier. The shows today seem to be loud and obnoxious, filled drunk and almost-drunk people acting like idiots on camera.

I "liked" your first paragraph but had some doubts reading on. Because Anderson was getting to seem kind of tight, and Andy talking about how blue his eyes suddenly were--then saying they were getting drunk with their next shot of tequila+--and Anderson following up with "Which one of us is Brooke and which one is Don ?" then cutting to the guy with the drag queens in N.O. and warning him to get security when he left because he'd be getting a lot of propositions... well it was all a bit "much" for me, plus going to check on the woman on the "pot bus" who probably had a contact high by then.

I may be super old school but if I want to be around drunks and pot heads and people speculating about hooking up tonight, there are lots of parties just like that. I really miss the  days when there'd be some good entertainment, and the hosting was (a) funny (2) somewhat tasteful and (3) family friendly.  Part of it may be my own fault, though, as I didn't look around enough for other NYE shows that were probably more to my liking. Still seems odd though, knowing CNN is international and this is what they go with.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 5

Maria's new husband ("Keven," really?) looked rather made-up and made-over (or was it just his fake tan?). ?

Ryan looked sharp in his tux, I'll give him that. ?

I skipped Mariah, but some of the other acts pleasantly surprised me. Were I younger I could tell you who I mean, haha! ?

HAPPY NEW YEAR! ? ✌ ?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, vb68 said:

But if they ever do make a movie out of Gilligan's Island, please cast Mariah as Lovey Howell.  That's who she looked like to me with the fur and dressed to the nines. And she's so OTT it's hilarious. I hope she found her hot tea!

Happy New Year's! 

Unfortunately, Mariah Carey would demand too much money and make sure her "lambs" get a place to stay. Judging from Wil Ferrell's experience with Mariah, her personality is not too far from the truth. That's the reason why she was cut from The House. She demanded everything to her own gain. Seeing her performance on stage demanding where her hot tea is might be closest to how we see of Mariah's diva-ish attitude.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 2

Sorry that I missed Keith Urban, but, Anderson and Andy were so boring.....what was wrong? Was it just too cold? Was Anderson sick?  Anderson seemed a million miles away and Andy was off too.   I did noticed that Anderson coughed several times. 

I skipped around to different channels, but, it seemed overall that the networks just didn't try very hard this year. Steve Harvey seemed lost.   I rather enjoyed my local station's coverage of Raleigh's  First Nite that seemed to be a lot of fun.  There were local correspondents and they even had our local hometown girl who won THIRD place on The Voice, Brooke Simpson!  She was quite delightful.  It was brutally cold, but, they did a great job.  Much better than the major networks, imo.  Oh, I don't find Britney or Mariah entertaining anymore. 

I am NOT a Fox News fan, but, I happened to land on it by chance and saw that they had a woman dressed up and impersonating Kathy Griffin last night.  She was dissing everyone and talking about how this was a bad year for her and how she had lost her career, friends and mind in 2017......I'm NOT kidding.  Oh, and her co-host said it was her fault for doing what she did to Trump.  Except he was more graphic. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

AAARGH - throwing it over to remote feeds where the other anchors can't hear you, everyone talking over each other then all stopping at the same time to let the other one talk then all starting to talk again at the same time - too annoying to keep watching.  FYI:  it really isn't interesting watching Richard Quest ask people where they are from, watching Don and Brooke get drunk, watching Randi get high-ish etc etc.  If you have to have each remote feed, give them each 5 - 10 minutes to be on air (no questions from A or A) to talk or party or whatever, then back to A & A.  Sheesh.  We need to come up with a better NYE format for us stay-at-home types. 

I switched to The Windsors on Netflix--hilarious.

• Love 5

yes, I was thinking that New Years Eve shows "used" to suggest that the audience got to vicariously participate in the most exciting, best and even glamorous parties being held around the country ... Being in New York City's Time Square for the dropping of the being -- like a trip to Disneyland -- a "someday" bucket list item for many people ... My vague memory is that Dick Clark and others sort of switched to an almost "Jerry Lewis Telethon" or "Lawrence Welk" approach with a "1000 stars" but in a classy decorated New York soundstage, supplemented with live telecast from outside (the ball dropping) at the last moment ... 

Too much of what I saw had all the charm of the overnight lines outside the Apple Store before the date of some new product launch .... with the same grit your teeth and bear it "stoicism" ... nothing I saw make me envious of anyone I saw ... looked more like an endurance contest or a national broadcast of some local none-too-impressive painfully underwhelming Christmas parade ... I only have basic channels and actually was surprised by how few choices I found -- even at 10 p.m. (here in Central Mountain Time) when it was midnight in Time Square where everyone seemed to be huddled in puffer jackets .... after enduring almost 2 weeks of below freezing weather locally, it all seemed a bit over-done and theatrical, oh, and dull. 

eta:  I just realized that the New Years Eve shows were a lot like the old late-night shows, like Carson and early Letterman, and likely involved the same "stable" of stars and professional guests (comedians, storytellers and "characters") ... sadly those shows -- which were often entertaining if not particularly exciting-- are also often, imho, are straining uncomfortably to hold the attention even of their (in studio) audience between "bits" 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 4

It was pretty cold in New York City, I didn't blame anyone for bundling up if they were that determined to be outside!  That said watching Mariah Carey, who was not bundled up, all I could think of was "that gal is going to get bronchitis or frostbite in a VERY personal area!"  

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 6

There's nothing glamorous about standing around in puffer coats, hats, earwarmer and scarves, stamping your feet to get warm ... It's not like the shows are terribly interesting when the weather is bearable ....  Like the Pasadena Rose Parade on a cold, windy or rainy day ... there's only so much you can say.

I think traditionally (say 30 years ago and even today) people from quite far out-of-town would make reservations to come to New York Times Square well in advance for packages at adjacent hotels with special dinners and entertainment .... it was an extravagance and cost real money ... 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Jaded said:

I flipped to Steve Harvey's show just now and Maria Menounos and her fiance were getting married live on air.

Because we want to see D-listers get married on New Years Eve!  What have they done to their faces, BTW?

13 hours ago, spankydoll said:

Andy Cohen is the pits

Yes!  What is his appeal?  And, does he have something on somebody (to be on the air constantly)?

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Because we want to see D-listers get married on New Years Eve!  What have they done to their faces, BTW?

Yes!  What is his appeal?  And, does he have something on somebody (to be on the air constantly)?

Speaking of bad surgery, is Jenny McCarthy taking the Joan River's route? The woman looked plastic beyond repair. She could hardly move her face at all.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, SusanSunflower said:

There's nothing glamorous about standing around in puffer coats, hats, earwarmer and scarves, stamping your feet to get warm

I had switched over to Steve Harvey just in time to see him introduce Neil Diamond who had the whole crowd singing and dancing to Sweet Caroline - it was phenomenal, but I am a huge Diamond fan.

CNN was the pits this year.  I always thought Kathy Griffin was too much but now I realize she was the whole show.  I also noticed that all the shows must have been in different areas of Time Square and you could hear other shows music on each others shows.  Could not believe Mariah was wearing almost nothing in 10 degrees below zero with wind chill.  I did catch when she complained she had been promised hot tea and had to be like regular people and not have tea.  WTF?

6 hours ago, Tanichka said:

What the hell was that?  I had seen her/his reality show years ago and liked them but he seemed like an asshole during their ceremony.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Speaking of bad surgery, is Jenny McCarthy taking the Joan River's route? The woman looked plastic beyond repair. She could hardly move her face at all.

What about Anderson Cooper? His cheeks looked suspiciously plump and his eyes looked a bit lifted. 

On 1/1/2018 at 2:33 AM, TVFan17 said:

And, for some idiotic reason, when Keith was in the home stretch of his 'dead musicians medley' and was bringing his famous wife onstage to sing a Tom Petty song with him, CNN decided that was the exact time they should cut away from them and go to some nonsense elsewhere...

Keith did one of those death medleys for 2016 too (another bad year for musicians), so I see this is becoming a tradition.  But he is talented, for the most part, so he can pull it off.

Oh, is *that* what that was?!?  I obviously wasn't paying attention, and yelled to DH from the kitchen "He can't decide what song he wants to sing!" to which he replied (apparently also not catching on to the theme) "So he's singing ALL of the songs!!"  Derp.  

I've always been puzzled why anyone feels the need to be crowded in with strangers on NYE in Times Square.  But this year it looked especially puzzling, with the bitter cold added in.  And Satan Andy & AC looked like they had no idea why they were there.

OK, I just watched for a minute or 2 at various times, but it was always the same with these 2.  AC looked permanently bored and/or distracted, and Satan Andy constantly looked upset that AC was clearly not interested in whatever stupid shit he was babbling about.

Sorry, CNN, but this pairing did not work.  Are these 2 really friends?  Cuz AC looked like he can't stomach Satan Andy.  Not that I can blame him.   2 seconds of Satan Andy was more than enough for me.  I guess the temps permanently froze that gross/creepy Joker smile on his smug mug.  Ew, I couldn't take it.  Look, the Kathy Griffin & AC NYE act was getting way stale, but it was infinitely better than this unwatchable shit.  Terrible!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Horrified said:

Next year, let's have Anderson Cooper and his Mom, Gloria Vanderbilt, host the show from her fabulous apartment.  She can regale us with fabulous stories.  I'd watch.

Oh well, no dater for you with Anderson.  Since we now know that dropping mom's name eliminates one from the pool.

• Love 4

Almost time for me to probably not watch this.  I am, however, enjoying the commercials about Andy being part of the CNN family.  

The only reason I may tune in is to see the greetings from various Broadway shows.  And because I have no idea what else to watch since Guy Lombardo is dead... 

• Love 2

I flipped it on at 11:58 (quiet evening at home streaming movies) just to see the ball drop.....where the fuck was everybody. There was nobody on stage, no one talking....no on air countdown?  The camera was just wandering around. It looked like it was just being filmed from someones phone. I kept watching for another 6 minutes till finally AC showed up. I thought maybe CNN had another bomb threat or AC was in a porta-john or something.

• Love 1

I flipped through the channels and all I can say is that Jenny needs to lay off the plastic surgery. The woman is not looking human and has this bad expressionless look through out the night. It's bad enough when Mellisa looks better than you. The performances were pretty meh, though I love to listen some Paul once in a while.

• Love 1

I don’t know why anyone thinks Andy is a great idea.  Cannot stand him.  He brings nothing.  Anderson (I usually find him fine doing hard news) should be ashamed for taking part in this crap fest.

• Love 9