Type keyword(s) to search

Flip or Flop Nashville - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Editor's Note:

Discuss Flip or Flop Nashville Here!

"Page Turner and DeRon Jenkins are busy house flippers in Nashville and Atlanta — and, they also happen to be exes."

Didn't expect to see this show, but there it was on OnDemand. Page Turner, cute, huh?

Pretty routine flip. I didn't care for the dark "wood" tile surrounding the standard white bathtub or the garage conversion. I can see, as a family grows, the need for more rooms, but I wouldn't purchase a home with a converted garage. I like my car housed

I was thinking, while I watched the show and they made a crack about their marital status,, that a kind of humorous schtick for these two is every so often come up with some new reason why they're not together anymore. 

Edited by OnceSane

I finally watched this version of Flip or Flop and I surprising liked it. That was a tiny house when they started but when they finished, it seemed so much bigger. Moving the laundry was a great move and vaulting the ceiling made such an impact! I loved adding the porch(and I hated that they had to take the tree down, but it was for safety so I understood.) 

One thing I was wondering about was the remediation of the siding. I thought if you didn't chop it up, it was safe or did cutting around the windows make it unsafe? One nice thing tho', when Ron got the bad news, he accepted it and just had it fixed and then went on with the renovation. All in all, not a bad version of Flip or Flop and I do love the houses they are doing.

• Love 2

I watched the first two episodes of Nashville and I don't think I can do another.  The wife (ex?) was just too much!  She was too loud, too annoying, too everything!!  She needs to tone it down A LOT!!  The husband was cool.  For the most part, I liked their designs - no crazy colors or accent walls (looking at you F or F LV).  I liked the vaulted ceilings, I liked that they didn't remove EVERY wall (looking at you F or F Ft W).  I didn't care for the master bedroom in the garage, but the rest of the house was very nice.  I noticed that they don't show every room like the other shows.  I think the first ep was the main area (kitchen, LR) and the master bed/bath, but none of the secondary bedrooms or the bath were shown on the "after".  I would like to see those transformations as well.

I would have much rather had Lex and Alana (from Listed Sisters) do this show instead.  They have their own design company and their personalities are much better suited for TV.

• Love 1

I like this show just fine. I think the FW couple came up with more daring touches with their home interiors, and I liked the Atlanta couple's touch of wood on the exterior on some of their homes, All couples are  likable enough . Location-wise, I prefer Fort Worth and Nashville because they're bigger unknowns to me and probably most viewers. I'm pretty desert and Atlanta-weary.

• Love 3

I've watched a couple of episodes and liked it ok.  My issue is the editing.  OMG, they showed the final product so fast, you could barely see it..  They did a lot of before and after, but, too many before shots.  I barely got a chance to see the new look.  That annoyed me. Other shows do a better job of letting you see the renovation.  What are they trying to hide? 

• Love 3

This is the fourth spin-off of FoF OG. IMO the best has been Flip or Flop Atlanta with Ken and Anita. They seem to be the most genuine. Bristol and Aubrey, of FoF Las Vegas, the least genuine. 

I'm meh on both Forth Worth and now Nashville. In both cases it feels like the couple has been shoehorned into the desired formula. Neither Ashley of Fort Worth, nor Page of Nashville are truly "designers." It's clear they really only do real estate and the couple has a regular contractor/designer for all their projects. With Tarek and Christina, and with Ken and Anita, you get the sense that they really do the work (at least, they did at one time, in the case of Tarek and Christina). The Fort Worth and Nashville couples do seem to be house flippers but neither does the sort of work they purport to do on this show. That makes it feel very staged, fake, and unnecessary. 

It's too bad HGTV is so married to a specific formula. I'm sure I would enjoy these spin-offs more if they were more forthright about their actual work. I think it would be just as interesting - more so - if we got a look inside how this all really works and what these people really do instead of watching the same dumb "money shots" every single week of the man swinging a sledge hammer and the woman picking out tiles.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3

I'm meh on both Forth Worth and now Nashville. In both cases it feels like the couple has been shoehorned into the desired formula. Neither Ashley of Fort Worth, nor Page of Nashville are truly "designers." It's clear they really only do real estate and the couple has a regular contractor/designer for all their projects. With Tarek and Christina, and with Ken and Anita, you get the sense that they really do the work (at least, they did at one time, in the case of Tarek and Christina). The Fort Worth and Nashville couples do seem to be house flippers but neither does the sort of work they purport to do on this show. That makes it feel very staged, fake, and unnecessary. 

On Nashville, Deron is the designer and Page is the realtor who finds houses for their flipping business. Deron is a general contractor/designer, and I think the gig with Page is his side business (probably for TV).

It was nice to see the return of DeRon and Page.

The thing that I didn't like about this flip was the exterior of the house. I didn't think the brick needed painting. It was in good shape and not at all drab and washed out looking like some older bricks are. I thought the money would've been better spent going towards building out the front porch a little more and beefing up the dinky columns, the bases of which extended beyond the porch. 

The choice of floors in the kitchen was kind of a bold move and though a little busy, I thought would be something that could easily grow on me and I would end up loving. The basement floors were similar, but darker, so less busy. It was a small house, and one in which the opening up of the living room into the kitchen was fine by me. I liked the upstairs bathroom.

I liked seeing a modest renovation for a change.

The one thing I questioned in this renovation was the lack of a hand rail on the basement stairs! Even if I was steady on my feet like the old days, I still like a handrail. One other thing I learned from this episode is that even tho' Deron and Page live in Nashville, singing is not in their future!!

• Love 1

The 790 square foot home was converted from 3 to 2 bedrooms and the ceilings opened to maximize visual and real space very well. But then all the interior trim and kitchen cabinets were black which only outlined every angle and door and called attention to the minute size of the kitchen,

Interesting flip with filling in a 2 story living room to make a bonus room. I liked it, my wife didn't. I love high ceilings but I've been in houses like that where that height is just wasted and doesn't really add much. Didn't like the other rooms though and that tiny island looked ridiculous. 

Not surprised to see it didn't sell. I bet it drops to $350k before selling.

• Love 2

What I enjoy about this show is that even though Page frames the business as sometimes it being hard to work with you ex, the show itself just shows these two people working together to make some money. There's no relationship drama at all, and they just work in harmony in a business. They are no less compatible than the Atlanta couple. Kudos to them.

• Love 5

If this is what divorce looks like for them, I'm all for it. What we see between them is respectful and easygoing, and I honestly don't think they're wildly different or spiteful off camera.

As for the renos, I like seeing their low-to-mid range flips and how P and D manage their time and budget. For the majority of houses, they simply work with what they have and don't try make them into the biggest, most expensive places on the block. If the budget doesn't allow for a fridge in the end, so be it.

I feel Page about the roaches, too. UGH!

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, palmaire said:

If this is what divorce looks like for them, I'm all for it.

As far as I can tell by reading about Page and Deron, they were never married...they dated for 5 years or so but I can't find anything about them being married. (She has twin girls who just graduated college in 2018 but that was before P and D dated.) Still it seems to be a great relationship they have now! I really enjoy this show because they don't freak out when something fails...they fix it and go on!

One thing I am glad about with some of their flips is that we don't  have "smell-o-vision". The last house they flipped must have really smelled to high heaven...there was enough fur in that house to make several coats with and I am guessing that the animals left a lot of their odor behind!(and wasn't one of their houses taken over by raccoons? )

• Love 4

I'm liking this couple more and more as well. Their designs can be hit or miss but every once in awhile they make a really nice design that I even want to copy. There was a house a couple weeks ago where they used hexagon tile in the kitchen. That was a really nice flip.

The most recent bungalow was pretty small so not much they could do with it. What surprised me most about the house though was the 10' ceilings. You normally don't see that height unless they have vaulted ceilings. From some of the camera angles it almost made it look like a studio set. 

Plus 1 to the know drama even though they aren't a couple anymore. I always forget that while watching. I do wish they would show more of the construction process. They show a lot of demo, then reworking the framing. Insert a problem or additional siding work, then suddenly we are ready to stage. Never really get to see their process for designing the kitchen or even a bathroom. This past episode had the most with showing the refinishing of the tub, but then the reveal with it sitting inside the funky shower was out of nowhere.

That is one thing I like about the original flip or flop and even the vegas one. They show getting the materials and picking out designs more. It feels more like an after thought with P&D. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I'm liking this couple more and more as well. Their designs can be hit or miss but every once in awhile they make a really nice design that I even want to copy. There was a house a couple weeks ago where they used hexagon tile in the kitchen. That was a really nice flip.

The most recent bungalow was pretty small so not much they could do with it. What surprised me most about the house though was the 10' ceilings. You normally don't see that height unless they have vaulted ceilings. From some of the camera angles it almost made it look like a studio set. 

Plus 1 to the know drama even though they aren't a couple anymore. I always forget that while watching. I do wish they would show more of the construction process. They show a lot of demo, then reworking the framing. Insert a problem or additional siding work, then suddenly we are ready to stage. Never really get to see their process for designing the kitchen or even a bathroom. This past episode had the most with showing the refinishing of the tub, but then the reveal with it sitting inside the funky shower was out of nowhere.

That is one thing I like about the original flip or flop and even the vegas one. They show getting the materials and picking out designs more. It feels more like an after thought with P&D. 

I agree with you. I think all the construction and actual remodeling is limited  because it's only a 30 minute show whereas the original Flip or Flop is an hour. They should all be an hour,  except for Vegas. I can barely tolerate Aubrey and her "glam" designs as it is.

What I like about P and D (and Atlanta) is they don't have a lot of OTT drama. They have a problem, they fix it, they move on. Professionals. 

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 3

I think the fire house was the last of the season.

The end result was nice but I really don't think they made any profit despite what their numbers showed. For starters, no matter the cost they always say closing costs are $10k. Doesn't matter if the home is $200k or $425k. That just isn't true. So there is a lot of fluffing of the numbers for tv.

I also find it hard to believe how they got into that flip not knowing about the extensive fire damage. It was visible in some rooms so they knew it had a fire. They didn't know how much because a lot was covered up (hidden) by the previous owners. Surely some of that would fall under falsifying condition even if sold as-is right? Or at the very least the presence of fire damage would be good cause to have an inspection which most flippers skip out on. Just seemed like a very risky flip from the get-go. 

• Love 2

In addition to the loosely calculated closing costs, I wonder if salaries for project managers, designers, etc. are excluded from the budgets. Whatever the final totals, I'm pretty sure none of the flippers are making as much as the final tallies would have us believe.

I'd love to know how much the flippers get paid by the production companies and if the associated scheduling, slowdowns, and retakes for filming are worth it. In this case, D and P may have even bought a house they otherwise wouldn't just because they need to crank so many out for the show.

35 minutes ago, lynxfx said:

They didn't know how much because a lot was covered up (hidden) by the previous owners. Surely some of that would fall under falsifying condition even if sold as-is right?

That occurred to me as well. These shows stick like glue to their standard template, but I think it would be interesting for viewers to hear about legal problems as well as rotted floor joists.

• Love 2
On 3/27/2019 at 1:05 AM, lynxfx said:

I think the fire house was the last of the season.

The end result was nice but I really don't think they made any profit despite what their numbers showed. For starters, no matter the cost they always say closing costs are $10k. Doesn't matter if the home is $200k or $425k. That just isn't true. So there is a lot of fluffing of the numbers for tv.

I also find it hard to believe how they got into that flip not knowing about the extensive fire damage. It was visible in some rooms so they knew it had a fire. They didn't know how much because a lot was covered up (hidden) by the previous owners. Surely some of that would fall under falsifying condition even if sold as-is right? Or at the very least the presence of fire damage would be good cause to have an inspection which most flippers skip out on. Just seemed like a very risky flip from the get-go. 

DeRon mentioned the fire happened back in the 50s so the seller might not have known. Also if there was never any permits filed on repair work their wouldn't be any straight forward way for Page or DeRon to just look that up. The only way to possibly find out would be to do a search for the address in local newspapers which is more than any realtor or even lawyer would have done. Even then you might assume the owners fixed it up correctly themselves. Plus news reports don't usually document if a fire damaged floor joists.

• Love 1