Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Drogo
  • Start Topic

On 1/4/2018 at 6:43 AM, janeta said:

And Angela Bassett's character was supposed to have been 37 when she got married because she had baby rabies--her girl looks to be at least 12, if not older than that, so that would make the character pushing 50 or more? I agree; AB simply does not age. (She's 60. Damn.  I should look that good when i get to be that age.... hell, i should look that good *now*...)

Now I want to cry - I am that age. She's amazing.

On 1/4/2018 at 7:33 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Fun seeing Charles Baker (Breaking Bad's Skinny Pete) as one of the burglars, although I wish they went full-blown fanservice and had the other one be the actor who played Badger.

And his character's name was Petey! Loved that.

This show does what I need it to do - take my mind off of the fact I'm exercising when I'm doing it. There are all sorts of errors (I work with our local dispatchers and Public Safety department), but I can roll with it for now. The cast is entertaining enough - I know and love pretty much all of the actors (with the exception of punk kid).  We'll see if I keep watching it after my usual shows are back on the air.

• Love 3

Was Peter Krause always that hot or did he beef up for this role? I've never watched him in anything. He kept reminding me of Geoff Stultz (who needs to be a bigger star than he is).

The baby rescue in the beginning was good, and I liked the little girl rescue. I kind of stopped watching procedurals, though, so I'm not sure if I'll be back.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Was Peter Krause always that hot or did he beef up for this role? I've never watched him in anything. He kept reminding me of Geoff Stultz (who needs to be a bigger star than he is).

I think he's shaped up since the last time I saw him. He was pretty hot back in the day.

54 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

The baby rescue in the beginning was good, and I liked the little girl rescue. I kind of stopped watching procedurals, though, so I'm not sure if I'll be back.

I think he beefed up. I don't find him hot but he does look bulkier than in other roles I've seen him in (Six Feet Under, Dirty Sexy Money, and Parenthood).

I'll watch Angela Bassett (who is throwing it back to Bernadine Harris in that pixie cut) and Connie Britton in anything (seeing Connie Britton with a glass of wine reminded me of Friday Night Lights) so I knew I was going to give this a try. This is a good cast - I like Aisha Hinds and Rockmond Dunbar. I laughed at the chicken nugget call - I've heard those kinds of calls happen pretty often.

There was a shot of Angela Bassett after her son said "You never fight unless it's something really big" where she took a sip of coffee and her eyes said "Hmph" that was just great. She's amazing. Also "the grandmas are gonna talk about us in church now" was a great line, because it's probably true. I have family friends who split when the husband came out after 20+ years together and while they're cool now it was a huge struggle. She was SO angry (although their three daughters were really accepting).

I was bugging out watching the baby in the pipe. When Aisha Hinds said "Wow wow wow" I was thinking "Girl, right?!" And I couldn't watch the snake scene at all because I have a phobia. Hit fast-forward as soon as she said "My snake.) Nope nope nope.

• Love 2
On Friday, January 05, 2018 at 0:12 PM, Whimsy said:

I don't even know where this is set- but I believe they are both.  Where my husband works, for example, the firefighters are the first responders to every call so they all have basic first aid type training with some of them full-fledged paramedic training but it's not mandatory.  I know some towns/cities it's even more intense and the firefighters are literally both FF and paramedics.  I think that's what's going on with this show.  I believe they're both. 

I just don't really get what the heck Peter Kraus's character is supposed to be.  I think maybe just a more seasoned/veteran of the fire station?  Maybe a lieutenant?  I don't know anything about lieutenant's because my husband's fire department is smaller so there are privates and then some Captain's, an Assistant Chief (forget his actual title) and then the Chief.  If PK's character is a Captain, he would have a white shirt and he wouldn't be in the truck.  There's no way he's the Chief. I just really can't figure him out.  I'll probably watch another episode just so I can figure that out.  IMDB doesn't say, just has his character's name.  I thought I heard someone reference his rank, but I thought they said Chief and there's no way in hell. But, I wasn't really paying attention so I probably misheard.  

The LA County Fire Department as seen on Emergency has Firefighter Paramedics. The Los Angeles City Fire Department that 9-1-1 depicts has separate Firefighters and Paramedics in the rescue ambulance. R.A. would be the local police code/slang. Not the bus of New York based  shows or ambul of the Baltimore based shows. I don't watch Chicago Fire so I can't make that comparison

Because the paramedics and R.As.are so over tasked EMT Firefighters on the  engines are often the first medical responder.

• Love 2

Some things that bugged me.

No. 1, no gloves or safety glasses? C'mon! 

That rookie guy taking the truck for a booty call? That's not even close to real life, I'm not a fire fighter, but I'm pretty sure you can't just take a truck for a joy ride....

But u also don't think you can just for someone like he got fired...

And why would Athena be responding to a call by herself?

But that fire hose thing was pretty cool!

But I do like the POV from the dispatcher, that's original (I think)

Athena's husband? What.A.Jerk! Really, trying to put the blame on her? He's the one who went into this marriage with a lie, and he makes her to be the bad guy? 

Chicago Fire is way better...

• Love 1

Not-Fired Probie using the deck gun on the Engine was pretty much fun, and something actually possible...if someone else was running the pump. Yes, the engine probably had a 500 or 1000 gallon tank, but that water doesn't get to the hose bed outlets or the deck gun on its own. The engineer is normally the person who runs the pumps (that panel behind the driver's door with all the levers and gauges). That directs the water to whichever port(s) are needed, and accepts water from the hydrants. You can't do that and run the deck gun on your own. Just as you can't (easily, at least) raise an aerial all by yourself.

• Love 2
On 1/6/2018 at 0:27 PM, Clanstarling said:

Now I want to cry - I am that age. She's amazing.

And his character's name was Petey! Loved that.

This show does what I need it to do - take my mind off of the fact I'm exercising when I'm doing it. There are all sorts of errors (I work with our local dispatchers and Public Safety department), but I can roll with it for now. The cast is entertaining enough - I know and love pretty much all of the actors (with the exception of punk kid).  We'll see if I keep watching it after my usual shows are back on the air.

I'm her age too. I wanted to throw up when I found out she’s 60.

There have been a lot of shows that lasted a long time that began with pilots that left something to be desired. I think with some tweaking this could be one of those.  

I must say, Peter Krause looks mighty fine in that uniform.

• Love 2

Having worked in the medical field (and education for 10 years), I do understand the dissonance that comes when a tv show doesn't "get it right".

I have finally accepted that they aren't really interested in getting it right  - they want drama and ratings.

So, unless it is astoundingly stupid, I hang in until the cast gels, and really the cast is usually why I watch.

Of course writing has to be there as does continuity and a decent showrunner (Blacklist fails on these levels and I had to stop watching in spite of loving Spader).

The rookie is a real problem and how they deal with it will determine how I feel about the show.  When he continues to get more time in stupid stories than Angela and Connie.....I am out.

Edited by kaygeeret
misspelling
  • Love 2

WOW - lots of discrepancies for those of you in the industry.  I had no idea.  My husband and I enjoyed it -- mostly the suspense parts and the action.  I think it has potential but we love most of the Ryan Murphy shows (didn't like Scream Queens)....

Also I saw some verbiage at the end of the show saying all the scenes came from actual calls that had come into a 911 center.

Edited by DFWGina
  • Love 1

I don’t know how anyone could watch this after the whole driving through traffic with his sirens on to have sex in the fire truck.

I'm willing to ignore a lot of technically incorrect things on shows like this, but that was just too egregious. Not only would he have been fired, he might have been arrested.

Also, making the captain a recovering addict doesn't add layers to his character. I'm kind of tired of that trope, it's too easy to keep going back to something like that whenever they want to give this character drama. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm willing to ignore a lot of technically incorrect things on shows like this, but that was just too egregious. Not only would he have been fired, he might have been arrested.

Also, making the captain a recovering addict doesn't add layers to his character. I'm kind of tired of that trope, it's too easy to keep going back to something like that whenever they want to give this character drama. 

I'm good with the captain/LT/whatever being in recovery. Sadly it can be A Thing for some people on the job. He's not wrong saying there are different coping mechanisms. I knew some guys who....Yeah. Let's leave it at that. And damned straight there are sex addicts, and a more-than-willing cadre of badge bunnies to fill the need.

And yeah, Not-Fired Probie would have been Fired-and-arrested probie after the first stunt.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 3

It's not as if recruits don't have to go through massive training and "boot camp" before they're even considered for firefighter. Lots of people don't even make it that far. It's hard to imagine how new guy/horndog even got hired if he's that much of a rules breaker and loose cannon. I mean . . . don't take the fire truck out for a joy ride? Probably Lesson Number 1 in fire fighting school. (You're not even allowed to drive the damn thing unless you're a certified driver, and those guys are a step above fire fighter in hierarchy. No way New Guy ever had a chance to get behind the wheel.)

• Love 2

Is it just me or did douchey new guy get exponentially hotter in the PSA with his natural accent?

Angela Basset must be a vampire. She looks practically the same as in ER 10 years ago.

• Love 5

I watched the pilot because of the three leads, and in spite of my abiding distaste for Ryan Murphy and his hackery. Unfortunately, the cringe-inducing writing probably won't allow me to revisit the show. I'm glad Krause and Britton and Basset are working again. I can't help thinking it won't last for long, though.

I thought the show might actually make the unusual choice and not have Probie Doucherson redeem himself in some spectacular and unlikely fashion. Alas, no.

My favourite part of the episode was Abby's "Ma'am, it's illegal to call 911 without an emergency. Eat your nuggets, get some perspective, and get off my line!" ::click:: You tell her, Tam -- Con -- er, Ray -- dammit -- Abby.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

Only started watching this - very cheesy and the attempts at humour and natural camaraderie are forced and awkward to say the least.

I had to laugh at Athenas husband proudly coming out to his two kids and their reaction. What a selfish ass. I get he's struggled all his life but to just put it out there without his wife even clearly being ready yet..