Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E04: Little Tools, Big Challenge

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

Cheese and pickle in the UK refers to Branson pickle, which is a kind of chutney/relish of pickled stuff (delish!), and not like a dill pickle like we put on sandwiches and burgers here.  I am not of British heritage :)  (German mostly, as a vast majority of white Americans are or used to be) but I keep a jar of Branson pickle in my fridge.

Yes, I figured that out when I went to the store. I wanted to make my hosts a true Southern dinner of fried chicken, biscuits, gravy, deviled eggs. There is no such thing as pickle relish there.

• Love 1

I wonder if you can get that at World Market? I am going to look. I think it's special cheese, too-right? Not just cheddar? I didn't realize the "pickle" was actually a melange of things. My mom used to make it with just...regular chopped pickle! But I had it in Scotland and it was more savory so I am guessing that was the Branston Pickle. Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, chiaros said:

Thank you for correcting my spelling!

16 minutes ago, Heathrowe said:

I wonder if you can get that at World Market? I am going to look. I think it's special cheese, too-right? Not just cheddar? I didn't realize the "pickle" was actually a melange of things. My mom used to make it with just...regular chopped pickle! But I had it in Scotland and it was more savory so I am guessing that was the Branston Pickle. Thanks for the tip!

I get it at a cheese shop.  It really is so good, if you like vinegary things.  On toast with English cheddar....

On 12/30/2017 at 9:15 AM, staphdude said:

Pull knives with regional food styles and have them go at it. Less gimmicky and demonstrates that they are well rounded chefs.

Isn't that what a season on Top Chef is (Without the knives being pulled)? ). All chefs on this show have made "regional/ethnic" food; that's food! (see the Denver Omelet, or French Omelet).

Tyler, while I sympathize with him being caught off guard for just being "American", could and should have cooked from Julia Child's cook book, and served it in drag, as his "heritage" and would have met the requirements of the challenge.

BTW Tom isn't french by heritage but he will pitch a b#tch to anyone who doesn't make a "Coq au Vin" as he sees fit. A  Top Chef must be able to cook "ethnic" food.

They actually made them pull knives that corresponded to different cuisines in New York.  Ariane got the Russian district and wasn't familiar with the food so didn't do so well.  When she suggested that when faced with something similar outside the show, she would consult a cook book, the sneering and sniffing from the judges rose to Olympic levels.

Tyler was at no greater disadvantage than anyone else.  He was indecisive when he should have focused on doing something well.  Doing well on this show vs not doing well on this show is not really indicative of who is the best cook.  It's who is best on Top Chef.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

They actually made them pull knives that corresponded to different cuisines in New York.  Ariane got the Russian district and wasn't familiar with the food so didn't do so well.  When she suggested that when faced with something similar outside the show, she would consult a cook book, the sneering and sniffing from the judges rose to Olympic levels.

Tyler was at no greater disadvantage than anyone else.  He was indecisive when he should have focused on doing something well.  Doing well on this show vs not doing well on this show is not really indicative of who is the best cook.  It's who is best on Top Chef.

Very good summation, and people forget this is a game show. Literally. The people I’ve talked to who have been on this show and others say it is nuts.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, spiderpig said:

You are making me crave one of those old-time Swanson dinners in an aluminum tray.  Yeah - there was a corn or blueberry muffin top-center, mashed potatoes on one side and green beans on the other.  The entree was on the bottom.  I loved them.  They made me the woman I am today.

My mouth is watering thinking about those Swanson fried chicken TV dinners. Though I picked one up in a supermarket a few years ago, read the back of the box, and the fat content was a real eye opener. Fortunately, as kids we didn't know from or care about such stuff. Few adults did back then either.

• Love 3
On 12/28/2017 at 10:37 PM, hendersonrocks said:

I want that grilled cheese Caesar salad like whoa. Tanya’s Mac & cheese, too. I appreciated the touch that the lil’ judges were children of chefs. 

I thought Tanya's Mac & cheese, though it looked scrum, would be too simple and literal for TC judges in past seasons. But then the spaghetti and meatball guy wasn't literal enough. Maybe because they were cooking for kiddos? It seemed off to me but again, my last TC viewing was Dallas. 

Omg it's LeAnn from S1. She's pregnant? She was 29 in S1. I was 21. Oh, she just said its been 12 years. This is an older season. Yay for her! And she's in the competition! Is this to give her a win? I will stand by Harold winning S1 all day long.

Edited by turbogirlnyc
Double post