Type keyword(s) to search

The Greatest Showman (2017)

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

I just saw this over the weekend.  I did enjoy it. But it was difficult to see how much time had passed as the daughters remained the same age throughout the entire movie.  I don't know a lot about P.T. Barnum but it was obvious there were historical inaccuracies/embellishments etc. Hugh Jackman did a great job and I was happy to see Zac Efron do a nice job with his part.  The music was enjoyable.  I'm not in a hurry to see the movie again though.

IDK if any of you have kids around the age of 8-14, but this movie is the biggest thing since sliced bread with that age group. My daughters (age 13) had a school dance at the end of last school year and The Greatest Showman was heavily featured in the song rotation. Friends have had TGS-themed parties. My son is a figure skater and every week at the end of skate camp, they put on a show. Guess what songs they always did? Every competition we've been to has someone doing a song from it. No, it's the best movie ever, but it's just fun. I like that there's a good, family movie that's not animated. My daughter once listened to nothing but Rewrite the Stars for an entire week. She might have a problem.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

IDK if any of you have kids around the age of 8-14, but this movie is the biggest thing since sliced bread with that age group. My daughters (age 13) had a school dance at the end of last school year and The Greatest Showman was heavily featured in the song rotation. Friends have had TGS-themed parties. My son is a figure skater and every week at the end of skate camp, they put on a show. Guess what songs they always did? Every competition we've been to has someone doing a song from it. No, it's the best movie ever, but it's just fun. I like that there's a good, family movie that's not animated. My daughter once listened to nothing but Rewrite the Stars for an entire week. She might have a problem.

My 8 year old son was begging to watch this so we rented it about a month ago and had a family movie night! We both really enjoyed it! I downloaded the soundtrack and we listen to it in the car often. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it!

I enjoyed the movie and my husband really liked it which was weird because he's not a fan of musicals. I'm not in a huge hurry to watch the whole thing again but I would like to see the Rewrite the Stars part because I absolutely loved it. I'll have to check youtube because we had borrowed the movie from a friend. 

2 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

One of our local primary schools did some of the songs for their end-of-year production a few months back.

Hugh sent them a video message, and a huge bouquet of flowers "to make amends for his absence"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-44382007

• Love 4
21 hours ago, festivus said:

I enjoyed the movie and my husband really liked it which was weird because he's not a fan of musicals. I'm not in a huge hurry to watch the whole thing again but I would like to see the Rewrite the Stars part because I absolutely loved it. I'll have to check youtube because we had borrowed the movie from a friend. 

If you have HBO or HBO Now, it's available on there to watch.

My 7 year old watched it one night with her grandmother which surprised me because she is usually not a fan of live action, still into the whole Disney Princess thing....needless to say she now wants to own it and has gone from wanting to be a nurse or doctor when she grows up to an acrobat like Ann.......

• Love 1

I’m watching it today. The first big musical sequence with Jackman and Williams dancing in the sheets was quite good. 

As I’m watching, the character of Jenny Lind (not a comment on the real person) is a little (unhinged isn’t the right word...), BITTER. Based on what we were shown on screen while there was an attraction and maybe some flirtation, (goodness knows Rebecca Ferguson is gorgeous) Phineas never crossed any lines, insinuated verbally or with his actions that he wanted Jenny to be his mistress, or that he was leaving his wife etc etc. She’s saying that she wants to leave the tour because her married boss isn’t interested in an affair?- really?! I was cheering for Charity when she pointed out that they should’ve discussed mortgaging the house together.

Its rare to see a big movie musical these days (that’s not a Disney live action remake); Jackman and Efron were charming as were the circus performers. I can see this being a popular family movie. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 2

I'm a pretty diehard music theatre snob, so after hearing so many mixed/negative reviews, I kept putting off watching this.

Well, the joke was on me, because I loved it. Is it sweet, simplistic and absolutely not an accurate bio-pic in any way? Sure. But it's also hugely entertaining, I loved the songs (and honestly felt they were stronger overall than the duo's work for "La La Land," although I loved that on a whole different level), and the performers and film work were lovely, and I thought the choreography was just absolutely outstanding (especially for "Rewrite the Stars").

I also loved the performers -- I thought it was a real star-making moment for Zendaya, and Zac Efron really impressed me here -- he can come across as facile to me sometimes, but he was a genuine triple threat here, who sang tunefully, danced gracefully, and who (most of all) really imbued his character with genuine emotion and pathos. I thought Hugh Jackman was lovely (as he almost always is), although I wish he'd given Barnum a little naughty twinkle, a little wickedness.

The scene that got me the most was "Rewrite the Stars," because it was just such a gorgeous confluence of acting, music, choreography and filmwork. The way Zendaya and Efron fly through the song -- her just out of his reach, him on the ground, then the two of them spinning gorgeously in midair in between when they let their feelings go -- it's a gorgeous moment that has stayed with me since watching it. 

• Love 8

The Great Showman Reimagined came out today and I love it.

I especially love this because I had no idea Ty Dolla $ign could sing! Funnily enough it's the most faithful adaption.

This is pretty dope too, very Michael Jackson influenced.

And this just sounds like it was written for P!ATD (because it was!)

And to not sound like a shill for Fox, I didn't even LIKE this movie. It was a very pretty, well-produced clusterfuck with some great songs.

I decided to finally borrow this movie from my local library after watching "The Circus" on  American Experience.  Don't know why, but I loved it.   Read and understand the criticism, but still love it.  Loved it so much, I'm buying the DVD.  Yes, a DVD.  I don't trust anybody's clouds with the things I love.  

• Love 2