Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

paulvdb

Well, at least the Michelle infamous line wasn't a meta thing, where they had Candace look awkwardly into the camera after Tommy said it. 

The cop was pretty hilarious. I enjoyed Ramona and Jackson's adventure. It's funny that most of the episode seemed to take place in the morning. 

I also totally forgot that Fernando is a racecar driver, just as DJ said that as well. 

• Love 4

Bad karma clouds the house when Danny, Jesse and Joey come home to celebrate their 30-year “Dad-iversary" while DJ preps for an important date.

Bob Saget actually looked like he was having fun for once. 

I cracked up at the box wine.

• Love 2

I always enjoy me some Gia. Between her and her daughter, they really bring something edgy to this show, which I appreciate.

I agree that Kimmy seems too old to be Steph's surrogate. Kimmy should be almost 40 at this point, right? I'd think that would be a risky pregnancy and with this being Steph's possibly only opportunity to try for a baby, it would be safer to go a different route. I do kind of question Kimmy being the right fit. Eh, maybe it's because pregnant Kimmy isn't really on my list of things to see from this show. 

I did cackle at DJ's snipe at Steph at the beginning. There were quite a few hilarious moments this episode. Seeing rebellious Jackson was fun to watch. Kimmy's French ancestry discovery was actually pretty funny. And once again, Fernando doesn't fail to actually crack me up with his own discovery, especially his New York accent. He's come a long way from me absolutely despising him in season 1 and half of season 2. 

• Love 4

Yeah, with no announcement, this kind of played out like a series finale.

But they actually managed to pull Gail Edwards out of retirement for an appearance. Vicki!

Candace Cameron really DOES have impressive upper body strength. Damn.

• Love 12

Man, those Fernando/Tommy scenes were super cute, especially with Tommy speaking Spanish. 

Ok, yeah, the DJ subplot was creepy as hell. I was wondering how long it was until the month was up, so good on Steve for bringing over their 12 roses, I guess. I was very surprised to see Matt, though. I wasn't sure when he was coming back. I do love the Matt/Steve bromance, though. Then again, Matt has had good scenes with many of the other characters. I am super sad that Matt is deciding to sever his partnership with DJ. However, I'm glad he's still in town and hasn't decided to spontaneously move to Bora Bora. I mean, he's now in competition with DJ, but that means their scenes aren't completely over. 

I did like the Stephanie/Kimmy stuff, though I want someone to tell Steph that she can still be a mom, even if the child is not biologically her own.

I chuckled at Jackson being nonchalant by doing the robot, and Max/Ramona's expressions. Also, I laughed at DJ's mom stare. 

I'm finding the last couple of episodes so much better than the first few episodes of 3B. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Matt has had good scenes with many of the other characters.

Matt and Stephanie have really great chemistry. I'd be rooting for them to get together if she weren't already with Jimmy.

• Love 10

Man, Dakota may be just as bad as Joey's kids....if not worse, because she's getting more screen-time than those kids did, and she's only one kid. Also, her mom's the worst for letting her nightmare of a daughter get away with this stuff. 

I will say, Kimmy, Steph, and DJ in those fairy godmothers dresses were cute. 

Fernando/Tommy scenes may have shot up to be my favourite part of this half season thus far. 

Jackson's friend is still super creepy. I don't think his stereotype works very well in 2017. Or...well, ever. 

I did feel bad for Ramona for her first planned party being a bust. Man, Chad Brad Bradley really stepped on her parade. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Jackson's friend is still super creepy. I don't think his stereotype works very well in 2017. Or...well, ever.

I agree. I never liked guys (or girls) who keep going after someone who is clearly not interested in them. And it's not something I only started feeling recently. I felt the same way back in the 1990s about Screech's obsession with Lisa on Saved by the Bell. Or even worse on Full House with Mrs. Carruthers.

• Love 6

Oh man, that dinner scene was pretty funny at times. Becky's whole shtick made me laugh with the "flat or sparkling....we don't have sparkling." I didn't laugh at Jesse taking Steve's money, though. That joke fell really flat to me. The box wine did get a surprise laugh out of me. 

I liked the opening. I get the sense that they were prepping for the show being cancelled right about now, so they threw in those nostalgia clips just in case. 

Becky was great the entire episode. I love how annoyed she is about Jesse being a stay at home dad. I also laughed at Joey's horror when his wife got a job on a cruise ship and he actually has to take care of his kids.

I assume, with everyone assuming Kimmy's not pregnant, that she actually is. I'd be very surprised if Kimmy wasn't pregnant. 

• Love 4

I guess, by having Danny, Joey, Jesse, and Becky announce their return to San Francisco, that's their hope for a draw into renewing the show. Eh; I'm fine either way. If this show is cancelled, I won't really miss it. 

Thank you, Jimmy! It only took ten episodes for someone to finally tell Steph that she can be a mom in other ways! Also, those kitties plus that milkshake? That would be my happy place. Just add bananas in that chocolate milkshake, of course.

Wow, they actually brought back Vicky. The showrunners listened to the voices and got her back. And man, her cameo didn't disappoint. I'm ok if there is a fourth season and we only hear about her and Danny, if Gail doesn't want to get back into acting much. I mean, just a cameo every finale, and I'd be thrilled, but that could be too much to ask for.

Oh man, though. Missed opportunity to bring Matt in for the 80s themed party. 

I guess DJ and Steve will be pursuing a long distance relationship? Not that Scott appears in every episode anyway, so if there is a season 4, him being missing won't really do much for the show overall. 

I guess part of me is kind of hoping for one last season. Mostly because I really miss Matt and want a bit more closure with him. I don't need more than 4 seasons of this show, personally. But it probably is cheaper to make this show, especially since they hammer out the seasons fairly quickly. 

Actually....remembering that Joey's return means the return of his four devil children....maybe it's best to leave this show as it is. I did love the shot of Rose hesitantly clapping at that news only for Max to shake his head at her.

ETA: Also, wouldn't the 30th Dad-iversary be wrong because they moved in before the school year, and not end of September/October when this episode takes place? 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I guess DJ and Steve will be pursuing a long distance relationship? Not that Scott appears in every episode anyway, so if there is a season 4, him being missing won't really do much for the show overall. 

Didn’t Steve say it was a 6-month job? Season 4 could pick up once he gets back. I would imagine that jumping to the last trimester of Kimmy’s pregnancy might be more desirable storyline-wise as well. Not to mention that by the time production would get going, all the kids (especially Tommy) would have aged that much anyway. 

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Didn’t Steve say it was a 6-month job? Season 4 could pick up once he gets back. I would imagine that jumping to the last trimester of Kimmy’s pregnancy might be more desirable storyline-wise as well. Not to mention that by the time production would get going, all the kids (especially Tommy) would have aged that much anyway. 

Did he say it was just for six months? I initially assumed that, when basketball season ends, there's no need for him to stick around in LA, but I can't recall if Steve has said that it's just a temporary job for this particular season, or if he'll go back next year to continue. 

Though I agree that they'll likely do a six month jump if there is a season 4. It's probably easier to jump ahead to the end of Kimmy's pregnancy, have everyone settled and let the kids age up a bit, like you mentioned. 

• Love 2

DJ with Matt was a much better fit. I don't know why this show has such a thirst for DJ/Steve nostalgia. The chemistry just isn't there. Plus the way things ended made the audience sympathize with the two people who will likely be phased out of the show, while making the two people who will remain on the show (one of them being the star) as the ones who acted like dicks.

If this was the end game, then there was a better way to get there, IMO.

• Love 14

I watched the first season for nostalgia. I watched the second season because I really liked Matt and was waiting to see if DJ would choose him. I was pretty over the love triangle and the nostalgia but watched the first part of the third season because, why not? But this is the episode that made me wonder why I'm still watching. The entire idea that DJ was deep in a relationship while still harboring feelings for someone else was too much and not inline with the character. Playing with feelings, leading someone on, being with someone you aren't that into - none of these fit DJ. And don't even get me started on the wedding hijinks that led to DJ being maid of honor for someone she didn't really know and the subsequent breakups. They made DJ unlikeable (Steve was already pretty unlikeable in my eyes). 

I stuck around for 2 more episodes to see if they could recover from this mess. I am checking out. I'll have to hold out for the Roseanne reboot for my nostalgia thirst now.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I agree. I never liked guys (or girls) who keep going after someone who is clearly not interested in them. And it's not something I only started feeling recently. I felt the same way back in the 1990s about Screech's obsession with Lisa on Saved by the Bell. Or even worse on Full House with Mrs. Carruthers.

Or Urkel in Family Matters. I actually thought the Mrs. Carruthers bit was funny but that’s pretty much because Marcia Wallace was a treasure.

• Love 2

I really liked DJ/Matt.  The "who will she choose" drama was mildly entertaining, but I would have preferred a storyline of DJ and Matt being legitimately happy without her harboring feelings for Steve - they could have kept Steve and CJ and Rose as the quirky neighbors without all of the romantic tension.   Matt was fresh blood, not old baggage.  I never liked Steve to begin with and he was truly stalkerish in the 1st season.

My kids inexplicably like this show.  I liked Full House when I was their age too, so I get it, but it's just so over-the-top.   

• Love 6

According to my OBGYN, 40 is the new 35 in obstetrics because so many women are delaying childbearing and having babies in their late 30s/early 40s. Being of advanced maternal age is less of a concern if a woman has already successfully carried a baby to full term at a younger age, which a surrogate has to have done (there have been a couple of cases of women in menopause able to be gestational surrogates for their daughters!).   I think DJ/Kimmy are 39 or 40 at this point, so while she'd be on the older side to be a surrogate, it wouldn't be exceptional.

• Love 5

So DJ and Steve are self-centered jerks with no qualms about playing with other people’s emotions? That was the message of this episode? Seriously, how were they at all sympathetic here? They had chance after chance to mitigate the damage to CJ and Matt but didn’t because they were all about keeping a runner up on the hook until the last possible second. 

That said, to my surprise I enjoyed the episode tag. Somewhere along the line, Stephanie being folded into the DJ/Kimmy best friendship became completely organic and I’m happy that all three of them have that. 

Too bad similar attention wasn’t paid to redeveloping Steve/DJ. While the relationship between Stephanie and the older she-wolves developed and matured beautifully, Steve/DJ relied completely on “BECAUSE NOSTALGIA!!!” and it wasn’t enough, especially in light of innocent good guy Matt. 

• Love 6

How nice of DJ and Steve to not jump into a relationship with unresolved feelings. What a shame they didn’t opt to extend that courtesy to CJ and Matt. 

Weak episode overall. The closest thing to a highlight for me was Fernando reading Ramona’s text, lol, lol. 

• Love 1

I do enjoy Rocki. Of the recurring kid characters they’ve tried, she is much my favorite. 

I also enjoy Matt, but the setup basically made it impossible for him to stay, at least for now. But yeah, credit to both actors for doing the alligator scenes. 

• Love 1

Screw Matt/DJ/Steve... apparently I watch this show to ship the unexpected friendship between Kimmy and Stephanie. (I so would have taken Gia being the surrogate too. Ha. Always good to see her.)

And I cannot believe that any iteration of Full House made a boob job joke, let alone one with an undercurrent of affectionate acceptance. 

• Love 10

Tommy being behind with his speech is something I've dealt with (my toddler was behind at 18 months, had a year of speech therapy and is using long sentences now!). Stephanie was right, it is extremely common especially for boys to have speech delays. I was appalled by DJ's initial reaction to the preschool lady. Glad she figured out what a raging beeotch she was being.

• Love 1

I was on set for this episode in the audience (really cool experience) so I can answer how they did the alligator as well as any other questions I feel comfortable answering from being there. They filmed just the alligator the day before the live taping without any cast members. Than the day of filming they filmed just the cast (Matt and DJ) without the alligator actually there and digitally inserted it together in post production.

Also the scene that mentioned Ramona having to eat in the Janitors closet was actually filmed but cut from the final product of the episode. It was filmed right before Jackson slips on the Bologna but was apparently cut from the episode. Also the final scene and the second to last scene were filmed in reverse order and Tommy did something cute with the blocks (I don't remember what) in that final scene that got cut. Otherwise what was filmed and the finished product were pretty much the same from what i remember. 

Now as much as I enjoy this show (and I liked the previous 2 seasons better although this one had its good moments) the moment I stepped on set this summer I could of predicted everything that happened from here on out this season (Jackson and Rocki with Lola departing, DJ with Steve, Stephanie's baby etc.) save for Kimmy being the surrogate mom which surprised me.

If anyone else has other questions about this episode or the set I will try to answer it if I feel comfortable or know the answer. I met some of the new cast very briefly and they were super nice (I am not going to disclose who) but none from the original show after. 

On 12/22/2017 at 12:34 PM, paulvdb said:

I checked the credits and she is played by Logan Riley Hassel. She was in an episode of Modern Family five years ago and a few movies. I guess I saw her in that episode of Modern Family, but I didn't remember her.

Her name was Siena in the show (they never said her character name but they introduced her in the curtain call after which revealed it). 

• Love 8

Really enjoyed the second half of the season.  I wonder if they are going to "Chuck Cunningham" Michelle.

Is it me or does Andrea Barber look like she is pregnant ? 

Nostalgia aside, I still cannot believe that DJ picked Steve over Matt. 

The hot tub scene with DJ was super creepy.

Overall, enjoyed the whole thing.

• Love 1
On 12/22/2017 at 0:16 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I will admit; Chad Brad Bradley made me chuckle. I didn't like the dance battle until it was just him vs Ramona. I also was cringing when Max and Kimmy showed up at high school. Doesn't Max have his own school to attend? 

I didn't laugh at the teacher coming in to place pylons around Jackson when he fell. Yet I chuckled when it happened to Chad Brad Bradley. 

He made me chuckle as well. There was one move Ramona did during their dance battle, she did a turn and flipped her hair into his face. I was like "Go Ramona!"

On 12/22/2017 at 2:47 PM, Lady Calypso said:

The cop was pretty hilarious. I enjoyed Ramona and Jackson's adventure. It's funny that most of the episode seemed to take place in the morning. 

I also totally forgot that Fernando is a racecar driver, just as DJ said that as well. 

I cracked up at the cop walking back into the house with Tommy.

Was it this episode or the previous episode that Fernando called DJ because he was out of town and needed someone to water his tulips? I have to admit, Fernando has grown on me

2 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

I cracked up at the cop walking back into the house with Tommy.

Was it this episode or the previous episode that Fernando called DJ because he was out of town and needed someone to water his tulips? I have to admit, Fernando has grown on me

Fernando has been the character that has such growth and move from the cheating idiot he was in season 1. Of course, still drives me nuts he got lost trying to take Ramona to the Nutcracker performance because he got lost. With the fact they both have a smart phone, GPS and most likely Fernando dropped her off as previously mentioned in that episode. 

• Love 2
On 12/22/2017 at 3:38 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Man, those Fernando/Tommy scenes were super cute, especially with Tommy speaking Spanish. 

Yes! I loved Tommy trying to give ice cream to Max while Max was pretending to be the fisherman/sailor. I don't know if that was planned because Fernando was cracking up during that part.

• Love 5

I have to admit, I'm not sure how excited I am about Danny, Joey, Jesse and Becky moving back and Danny possibly moving back in. I actually enjoy the dynamic between the girls and the kids. Having the family do occasional pop-ins during the season is fine with me, just not too much. I guess we'll see if they get a fourth season how they'll incorporate them. But please, for the love of all things holy, keep Joey's kids away!

I was very happy to see Vickie!

• Love 10

Of course I watch the show for nostalgia, but that doesn't mean I want to see the characters act the way they did thirty years ago without explanation. And mostly they don't.

Kimmy is still hanging out in the Tanner house and joking about it, but she's also, as she herself points out, sometimes the normal one in her own family.

Stephanie drops the occasional "how rude!" but, rather than being unable to share a room with DJ, she has moved in with DJ and her children-- and has apparently been very involved with being a secondary caregiver to her nephews all along.

DJ is still a perfectionist, but she's running her own vet clinic instead of going on crash diets.

I could understand teenagers inadvertently using/humiliating the likes of CJ and Matt with a date to the prom on the line. I can't understand 40-ish people doing it with marriage on the line, unless those 40-ish people are genuinely awful human beings who haven't matured a day since high school.

I pretty strongly disagree that this version makes the original look like a drama. I can't remember an ongoing arc in the original that was remotely equivalent to the Stephanie infertility plot, for example.

• Love 3
On 12/24/2017 at 11:05 PM, greekmom said:

I thought this too at various parts of the season, depending on what clothing she was wearing - not sure if it was just the clothes though.

I forgot about Michelle until Jesse conspicuously didn't mention her name along with DJ and Steph. Would be nice if they could find some sort of balance between the ridiculous comments in season 1 and ignoring her completely (except for the 'you got it dude' reference from Tommy).

• Love 2

I'm surprised by the idea that I'm not I'm onboard the nostalgia train, but Matt is a million times better than Steve and I hate that they're pushing Steve and DJ as a thing.

I think I'm out because even though I mostly expected it I'm actually more upset about losing Matt than I thought.

• Love 2

Steve and DJ are just so meh. Either put them together or don’t just stop throwing all these dumb obstacles at them.

I miss Matt.

If the show is cancelled I wouldn’t care but they could’ve gave it a better ending. I guess they aren’t sure.

• Love 3
On 12/24/2017 at 10:05 PM, greekmom said:

I don't think she looks pregnant, but I'm fascinated by her waist.  She is very pretty and has a cute figure, but her waist looks wider than I would expect.  She may be high waisted, or maybe it's just the wacky clothes they put on her.  She looks fine in regular photos, wearing her own clothes.  

Overall, the season was so over the top.  I think it's time to put it to rest.  

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Panopticon said:

Creepy friend got an extra dose of creepy by telling Jackson he might be his dad soon, considering that Jackson’s actual dad has been dead for at most two years. Icky in so many ways. It just wasn’t funny.

It reminds me of the bully from Michelle's school. That kid was the worst and then later on when we met his dad (who was a pro wrestler). I'm sorry, anyone would have done that to me the way he did to Jesse and he be arrested. Something Full House and Fuller House have done horribly is thinking something like this is funny. They might go: "Well, kids are like that in real life." However, they take it too far and if I was Jackson, I be like: "Get the hell away from me." 

5 hours ago, bettername2come said:

I think Steph's rant about the old mariner was my favorite. That thing wasn't in the original run, was it?

Watching the flashbacks. It didn't really show up until season 3 for some reason. The staples of the show were the kitchen, the couch, fireplace, front stoop and the backyard. None of those have changed at all during the series. Everything else has either gotten a new look, repait or something else.