Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I also have fond memories growing up watching Linda Carter as Wonder Woman in Saturday afternoon syndication and the point still holds--why make her dark too?  Can't I have any of the DC characters bear resemblance to the versions of my youth?  They don't need to be exactly the same, but I would like to still recognize them.  I was never a Marvel fan as a kid--the comic book characters I knew were all pretty much DC properties--but the MCU has made me care about them as an adult.  I wish DC/WB could get their act together because my interest is waning with each movie they release.

• Love 3

Plenty of people would have found her "edgy" just by acknowledging the counter-culture element of her character. If they want controversy, let Wonder Woman be her wonderfully assertive social crusader self. I would love to see a modern interpretation of how the American media would react to someone with her beliefs who wasn't afraid to speak her mind.

She's a perfectly topical, fascinating character as is. I wish the studios would stop being so damn scared of her.

• Love 9

To rip off a point made elsewhere on the internet at some point, Wonder Woman is a beautiful woman in a bikini who fights Nazis. IT SELLS ITSELF.

Or, you know, JayKay's social crusader justice deal, whichever. Point is, she really shouldn't be a difficult character to build a film around.

• Love 3

I really think it comes down to them not knowing how to write her a love interest.  It can be done, I saw some straight to video full length Wonder Woman cartoon (with Nathan Fillion doing the voice of Steve Trevor) and they quickly found a balance that was believable and at times hilarious. 

Maybe the problem is they are still trying to get men to write a supremely womanly character. 

• Love 3

I really think it comes down to them not knowing how to write her a love interest.  It can be done, I saw some straight to video full length Wonder Woman cartoon (with Nathan Fillion doing the voice of Steve Trevor) and they quickly found a balance that was believable and at times hilarious. 

Maybe the problem is they are still trying to get men to write a supremely womanly character. 

Yup, I think that's the main problem right there. The WW animated was written by Gail Simone, which explains why the story is so well balanced. DC Animated got it right in the writing department, most of their productions take advantage of in-house talent. OTOH, every time Warner Bros announces new writers for live action DC I wanna weep, because it's always some dude on retainer at WB who only ever wrote formula blockbusters for the 18-34 male audience.

• Love 1

I am also dubious about Warner Bros.' plans for the DC superheroes.

Even though the Marvel movies were all connected to the same universe, they still worked well as independent films because the tone of each movie was adapted to the particular superhero involved and that hero's personality and origin story.  Each director was also different and seemed to be given free rein to make his own vision of the movie (subject to the obligatory tie-ins to the larger universe).  So we got the sheer tech geek joy and hero redemption of Iron Man, the mythological grandeur and Biblical Cain-Abel theme of Thor, and the old-fashioned good versus evil, war action of Captain America.  (I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy yet.)  Then the beauty of The Avengers - despite its flaws - is how well Joss Whedon managed to weave all of these disparate superheroes into one balanced movie and make it believable that they would all inhabit the same universe.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I guess no speedy/kid flash on that show. Apparently they want to use Raven and Starfire. Wouldn't that be too much special effects for a tv show budget? 

Edited by ban1o

Maybe Roy could be in both...someone (indirectly) told me that TNT and CW have the same parent company. Is that true? If it is...Colton could use his episodes off to film for that..or simply leave Arrow altogether. 

Wally..could be used without any barriers since I doubt he'll be on Flash anytime soon..

Yeah they both have the same parent company but I don't  think the shows will be in the same universe. I guess they could have a  different  version of a live action tv Roy's though if they really wanted to include him. I just assumed they wouldn't.  I mean, they'll probably have to re-do Deathstroke since he's like the main Teen Titans villain. 

Edited by ban1o

I'd be more excited about this if it wasn't going to be on TNT. Not having cable, TNT shows can be hard to watch unless I want to buy an iTunes or Amazon season pass. I have to be fairly significantly invested in a show to do that.

And that aside, TNT just seems like an odd fit for a show like this. Doesn't their audience skew older? I would think this would be a show developed more for a younger oriented network.

Edited by Starfish35

I'd be more excited about this if it wasn't going to be on TNT. Not having cable, TNT shows can be hard to watch unless I want to buy an iTunes or Amazon season pass. I have to be fairly significantly invested in a show to do that.

And that aside, TNT just seems like an odd fit for a show like this. Doesn't their audience skew older? I would think this would be a show developed more for a younger oriented network.

LOL yeah when I just hear the concept "teen superhero drama" I think CW. I'm really surprised it's on TNT. 

Leverage was on TNT. That's all I keep telling myself. My goodwill for the network may have been destroyed when Leverage was cancelled (on Christmas, TNT!?) but my hope for Titans lives on because TNT allowed a show like Leverage to exist in the first place.

• Love 2

This is interesting....

TV vs. Movie Superheroes: Which Format Works Better?
By Paul on Sep 12, 2014
http://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/tv-vs-movie-superheroes-format-works-better-240291

For anyone who has Netflix...

Catching Up With Daredevil Showrunner Steven S. DeKnight
By Meredith Alloway September 12, 2014  |  10:49am
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/09/catching-up-with-daredevil-showrunner-steven-s-dek.html

“There was such an overpowering reaction to the footage, you sort of feel like, ‘Oh, so we weren’t crazy for our reasons for loving this character, for loving this role.’ It’s interesting to see the power of the Internet. It’s awe-inspiring, actually,” Reynolds told the Niagara Falls Review (via ComicBook.com). “And it’s neat that Twitter and Facebook and Instagram can move mountains when used in the right way.”

He said that yesterday, I think, not seeing the rumor that he's out. I sure hope he's Deadpool, I thought he was perfect for the role.

• Love 4

My mom loved Supergirl when she was a kid and even read the comics. Now she loves CSI and The Big Bang Theory and still resents that I once called CBS "the old people channel." I can see people like her (55+) tuning in, at least.

CBS, really? That's a strange choice. I suppose everyone wants to try their hand at the now very popular super hero genre. Hopefully they get the right actress to play Kara and get a good supporting cast and of course remember to chem test. 

Edited by Sakura12

I once called CBS "the old people channel."

Well, you're not wrong (sorry, JayKay's mom). Their demo really does skew older. Although, CBS has some of the most watched shows on television so catering to the older demographic clearly pays off. I think the only show I watch on CBS right now is Person of Interest, though. But I'll, more than likely, tune in for Supergirl. I like Kara, both in the DCAU version and her most recent adaptation on Smallville. It's about time female superheroes get top billing, too (I'm still bitter about the WB treating Wonder Woman like the red-headed step-child of the DC Trinity). Unfortunately, since this is CBS, I'm not sure about Supergirl's longevity. Hopefully, the eye network, at least, gives it a full season.

And, yay for Deadpool! Even if it doesn't make a lot of money, that movie will likely be very interesting and entertaining.

Edited by SleepDeprived
  • Love 1

TNT's Teen Titans show might have a shared universe with Arrow and The Flash:

And beyond the linked comic book stories, there’s also the framework of corporate synergy. Mark Pedowitz, CW’s president, says there’s a possibility that the Flash and Arrow universe might include TNT’s new show, corporate half-sibling Titans (definitely not Gotham or Constantine, though). “What you’ll see embedded in Flash and Arrow is that we’ll have the ability to test characters out. Is there room to grow them into the next show? I cannot tell you yet. There are discussions going on,” he said.

Source

Edited by strikera0

If they actually did share universe's then I guess Manu Bennett would be getting a lot more work. Slade is like the Teen Titan's archenemy in the comics. Kinda like Merlyn is to Oliver. 

Edited by ban1o

Technically, the CW is half WB, half CBS. For them it's basically a place where both companies can unload shows that they hope will recoup production/revenue costs with post-views/overseas revenue. Some CW affiliates also license the rights to local CBS news broadcasts and occasional sporting events.

That's very interesting. I wonder if they would move Colton Haynes over to Teen Titans then?

yeah this is what I was curious about. Same with Willa Holland if Thea assumes a costumed identity. If this shared universe were to happen (which I am still very hesitant to believe) my guess is they would just be occasional guest stars I think. I don't think Arrow would give up 2 of it's main cast to another show on a different network. 

Edited by ban1o

Yea guest stars is my guess...is series regular on both possible? 13 minimum on both? Both characters screen time on Arrow aren't that significant on a consistent basis. 

Highly, highly don't think that's possible and it seems both Roy and Thea will be getting more screen time this season. 

Anyway I kinda really doubt this will happen, it seems more like something the CW president  has thought about then actually discussed with TNT. If it's connected to Arrow the same people will have to be working on it or else it wouldn't work.  

Edited by ban1o

I really can't see a Teen Titan's show existing in the same universe.  How can they have Nightwing if Batman isn't even whispered to exist?  The timeline's IMO don't work but nice try people.

As for CBS and Supergirl...they haven't even done the pilot so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up dead in the water.  I would like to be wrong but ...

On a positive note, while CBS does skew older, it also seems to aim at least some of its shows right at women.  The Good Wife.  Madame Secretary (though that might not last) Unforgetable, and even Elementary replaced John with Joan so they do have a track record of supporting some female oriented shows. 

On the other hand this is the network still running Big Brother so there is no accounting for taste. 

He might exist, but the show won't be allowed to directly reference him.  They could allude to him all they want but that's it.  Anything more direct will need Warner Bros. approval and no way are they letting Batman anywhere near television, especially with the Superman sequel coming out in the next couple of years.  Gotham's allowed to have Bruce Wayne but he's young enough that WB would never worry about the show going long enough to see him become Batman.