Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

‘Quantico’ Casts Vandit Bhatt; Seamus Dever Joins ‘Titans’; Jimmie Saito In ‘Sweetbitter’
by Denise Petski   January 17, 2018 3:09pm
http://deadline.com/2018/01/quantico-cast-vandit-bhatt-seamus-dever-titans-jimmie-saito-sweetbitter-1202244900/

Castle alum Seamus Dever has booked a recurring role on Titans, the upcoming DC superhero series from Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns, Sarah Schechter and Warner Bros TV. Written by Goldsman, DC Entertainment’s Johns and Berlanti, Titans follows a group of young soon-to-be superheroes recruited from every corner of the DC Universe. Character details for Dever are being kept under wraps. Dever is best known for the role of Detective Kevin Ryan on all eight seasons of ABC’s Castle. He’s repped by Metropolitan Talent Agency and LINK Entertainment.

• Love 1

The Best X-Men Romance is Finally Getting Married
By Thomas Bacon  January 17, 2018
https://screenrant.com/colossus-kitty-pryde-engaged-x-men-gold/

Colossus and Kitty Pryde have finally gotten engaged!

Marc Guggenheim has been playing to nostalgia in his X-Men Gold run. One of the most popular elements has been the rekindled relationship between Colossus and Kitty Pryde, whose on-again, off-again love life has spanned decades of comics. Now, it looks as though the two X-Men are taking things to the next level.
Fans are sure to be delighted. The romance between Colossus and Kitty has always been a popular one, albeit rather controversial. Kitty joined the X-Men when she was only 14, while Colossus was presented as at least 18 or 19. That didn’t stop writer Chris Claremont progressing matters though, and he had the two make out a few times. In one scene, Kitty even implied that she wanted to have sex with Colossus; “Gee, I wish I was older,” she noted. “So do I,” Colossus responded.
That seemed to be the end of Marvel’s popular couple. Kitty joined the Guardians of the Galaxy, and actually got engaged to Star-Lord. Colossus had a brief fling with Domino. Both seemed to have moved on. Until, that is, Marc Guggenheim’s X-Men Gold. He carefully placed the characters side-by-side once again, and their latest attempt at a relationship is clearly going strong.

Of course, superhero weddings can be disasters. As fans of the Arrowverse can attest, they have a habit of being interrupted by the bad guys. It will be interesting to see what Guggenheim has planned for this star-crossed couple.

Edited by tv echo
4 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Of course, superhero weddings can be disasters. As fans of the Arrowverse can attest, they have a habit of being interrupted by the bad guys. It will be interesting to see what Guggenheim has planned for this star-crossed couple.

Was ready to take offense when I realized they meant the Nazis.  

3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Was ready to take offense when I realized they meant the Nazis.  

Considering the article is from CBR, they might not just be referring to the Nazis when saying "the bad guys".

Edited by lemotomato
9 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Considering the article is from CBR, they might not just be referring to the Nazis when saying "the bad guys".

I figured they wouldn't be so subtle if they were throwing shade on Felicity but sadly you could be right.  

‘The Boys’: Antony Starr, Chace Crawford, Dominique McElligott & Jessie Usher Cast In Amazon’s Superhero Drama Series
by Nellie Andreeva •  January 17, 2018
http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-boys-chace-crawford-antony-starr-dominique-mcelligott-jessie-usher-cast-amazon-superhero-drama-series-1202244980/

Antony Starr (American Gothic), Dominique McElligott (The Last Tycoon), Chace Crawford (Gossip Girl), Jessie T. Usher (Survivor’s Remorse) and Nathan Mitchell (iZombie) have joined Erin Moriarty as leads in Amazon’s straight-to-series drama The Boys, Deadline has learned.

Based on the comic book by Garth Ennis (Preacher) and Darick Robertson and created by Supernatural creator and Timeless co-creator Eric Kripke, The Boys is set in a world where superheroes embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame. It revolves around a group of vigilantes known informally as “the boys,” who set out to take down corrupt superheroes with no more than blue-collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty. Preacher‘s Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen are set to direct.

Starr will play Homelander, leader of the main superhero team, The Seven. McElligott plays Queen Maeve, member of The Seven. Usher will play another The Seven member, A-Train, a superhero faster than a speeding train. Crawford will play The Seven member The Deep, an aquatic hero. Mitchell plays Black Noir, a masked superhero with fighting and Set martial arts skills.

Amazon Fleshes Out 'The Boys' Cast
By RUSS BURLINGAME - January 17, 2018
http://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/01/17/amazon-fleshes-out-the-boys-cast/

[Nathan] Mitchell has had minor roles on iZombie, Arrow, and Supernatural -- but given his role as Black Noir, perhaps the most significant recent role he has played was as The Black Gentleman Ninja in Psych: The Movie. The ninja, whose full name is never given as he enthusiastically accepts "Black Gentleman Ninja," is one of the two sidekicks to "The Thin White Duke," a villain played by Shazam! star Zachary Levi.

ETA: Nathan Mitchell played Isaac Stanzler in 306 (Guilty) and 307 (Draw Back Your Bow) of Arrow.

Edited by tv echo

So I did end up watching Black and Lightning and really enjoyed it. Cress is fantastic and so are the ladies. I'm already rooting for him and his ex to get back together. I did laugh when I saw the ex opening up his shirt because I'd posted the GIF of Oliver and Thea doing something similar. This was more appropriate. It actually reminded me of first season Arrow. The way it was shot, it looked pretty cinematic. Also, speaking as a POC, those scenes before the first commercial ... those really punched me in the gut. The anger and frustration was palpable.

• Love 4

Yeah Jefferson and Lynn have some fantastic chemistry.  I hope she can eventually come to terms with him being Black Lightning.  She seemed to accept it at least as far as it being necessary to rescue their daughters.

• Love 2

I really liked Black Lightning and signed up for the rest of the season.  My husband is tired of superhero shows & movies, and he liked it as well (he's quit all the others, plus the Marvel movie franchise).  The cast is amazing - I have always loved Cress Williams, and China McClain has been a fixture in my teen's tv viewing for years.  I liked the setup of the show, and didn't even tire of the fight scenes (I hate most fight & chase scenes).  

Harder Target: 15 Ways The Arrowverse Is More Mature Than Marvel’s Netflix Shows
by Stephanie Holland   January 18, 2018
https://www.cbr.com/arrowverse-more-mature-netflix/

12. CHARACTER GROWTH
As good as Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist are, they don’t have a lot of growth throughout their seasons. Other than a costume change, Matt Murdock is essentially the same guy from start to finish. Jessica Jones and Frank Castle do have remarkable character journeys, but they can’t hold up the entire franchise.

While Oliver can still be a jerk at times, he has softened over the years. Barry started out as a naive, overly optimistic kid, but has grown into a hardened, experienced crimefighter, though he still has a heart of gold. On Legends, Sara has evolved from an angry assassin into a decisive, tough leader. With the freedom that Netflix offers, the characters should be more developed and make more adult decisions.
5. SCIENCE SAVES THE DAY
While there will always be a need for someone to punch out the bad guy, it’s nice to see a universe where the geniuses in the lab are just as important as the guy flying through the air. Yes, Oliver has to shoot arrows and fight ninjas, but when it’s time to stop a bomb he needs Felicity to tell him how.

On The Flash, as smart as Barry is, he would never figure out how to take down the weekly rogues without Cisco, Wells and Caitlin explaining the science of how the bad guys’ powers work. Cisco designs all the suits and tech for Team Flash and Team Arrow, while Nate’s knowledge of history helps the Legends fix time. Basically, there would be no saving the world without the nerds on comms.
4. ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS
Romantic relationships are the real aspect of a hero’s life that makes all the hard work of saving the world worth it. The Marvel shows have a lot of sex, but not very many grown up, adult romances. We all know Luke and Jessica belong together, but right now they’re in the awkward post-hookup phase. And Matt and Karen can’t get past his nights as Daredevil in order to be together.

From day one, Barry and Iris have been the star-crossed lovers who were destined to be together. Oliver and Felicity have had a bumpy road, but viewers knew they would eventually find their way back to one another. It may not seem important, but seeing the leads in healthy, adult relationships adds a level of legitimacy to their lives.

15. BEING A SUPERHERO HAS CONSEQUENCES
14. WORLD BUILDING
13. LGBTQ CHARACTERS
12. CHARACTER GROWTH
11. REAL WORLD STORYLINES
10. OLIVER’S MENTORING OF OTHER HEROES
9. TEAMWORK
8. LEARNING FROM MISTAKES
7. THEY HAVE FAMILIES
6. ACCEPTANCE OF HERO LIFE
5. SCIENCE SAVES THE DAY
4. ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS
3. JOE WEST
2. COMEDY
1. KEEPING IDENTITIES SECRET

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

So they're actually doing a The Boys show, huh? I started that one, then decided to just read how it ended online, and I am glad I ended it. You could just rename the series "Superhero comics are stupid and shitty and your stupid and shitty for liking them", even as they deeply misunderstand everything about the genre they clearly loath. I wonder how that marketing will go? People who watch superhero shows are the ones who will see all the masks and fighting and tune in, and then many of them they will probably tune out when they see that the show is such a brutal take on superheroes, it makes Watchmen look like the Silver Age. 

while Nate’s knowledge of history helps the Legends fix time. Basically, there would be no saving the world without the nerds on comms.

Yeah, sure.  Who needs Gideon, the all knowing AI on a time ship with access to all data bases, books, and news journals both past, present and future.  But Nate has read a lot of books too!

But I appreciate the shout out to the rest of the nerds that actually use their brains to save the world.  

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Yeah, sure.  Who needs Gideon, the all knowing AI on a time ship with access to all data bases, books, and news journals both past, present and future.  But Nate has read a lot of books too!

Only when it's convenient.  Otherwise he acts like history and his PhD are beneath him.  I will say this, by the time LOT reaches it's conclusion, I hope they figure out a way to improve Nate.  I don't like hating him and it looks like he's here for good but they make it so damn hard to feel anything positive about him.  If they would just have the character admit that he always wanted to be a jock, turned to academia because his hemophilia made sports too dangerous, but always hated it and is thrilled to be brawn rather than brains I would start to like him.  Because that's how he's written and played but without the self awareness. 

Echoing everyone's love and praise for Black Lightning.  If you haven't seen it, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??  Fantastic pilot, great characters, strong setup for the season, and Cress Williams walks around in a suit.  Perfection.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

If they would just have the character admit that he always wanted to be a jock, turned to academia because his hemophilia made sports too dangerous, but always hated it and is thrilled to be brawn rather than brains I would start to like him.  Because that's how he's written and played but without the self awareness.

See, if they had Nate come out and say something like that I would stop having as much of a problem with him as I do.  As it is they introduced a character who is supposed to be an intellectual, but he is made out to be something of a fool instead. Yes, he helped save the Legends, but by his second episode they turned him into a man of steel and every time he tried to use his 'knowledge' after that it became a joke so he stopped. I think the whole historian thing was just the hook they used to introduce him and was never meant to be his real role.

I liked Black Lightning well enough, but I wasn't as enthused by it as some. Maybe I need to watch it again?

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 3

I liked Black Lightning well enough, but I wasn't as enthused by it as some. Maybe I need to watch it again?

I think it's a above average pilot and sets up a very interesting premise and I would heartily recommend it to everybody but it didn't give me "omg, this changed the world of tv forever, my mind is blown" vibes. Then again, most tv I watched that gave me those vibes was usually some of those high concept cable or streaming services shows, so for a network show, it's pretty good. 

• Love 1

I really wonder what happened there. Something must have gone down BTS that they seemingly pushed Franz out and replaced him with Keiynan.

Or worse they were forced to kick Keiynan off Flash and then kicked Franz out of LoT to make room ?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I really wonder what happened there. Something must have gone down BTS that they seemingly pushed Franz out and replaced him with Keiynan.

Or worse they were forced to kick Keiynan off Flash and then kicked Franz out of LoT to make room ?

Yeah I'm having similar thoughts. :(

• Love 1

I don't know what happened, Franz's departure was unexpected. I really hope they didn't kick him off to add Wally. Jax really grew on me during season 2, I'm going to miss his little brother/older sister relationship with Sara. 

• Love 6

I don't see why they couldn't have kept Jax and added Wally. Stein is gone so that frees up a spot, and they could've had Jax powerless for a bit before figuring out how to be Firestorm again.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Velocity23 said:

Its official Wally West becoming a series regular on LOT

So he doesn't even get to say bye to his family or let them know? Just to kick him off of Flash without a decent good bye is rude.

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I think it was a mixture of them not being interested in the character without Stein, not wanting to try to rebrand him, and wanting to save money on effects. They already cut down on Firestorm and anyone that really cost anything expensive (Hawks)

• Love 2

Did Wally leave again? If not that then I imagine his goodbye scene was filmed before he joined the Legends. It's not like they really cared about Wally when he was on the Flash. They even had him say no noticed he was gone including his dad and sister. At least on Legends he'd be noticed. I just wish we didn't have to lose Jax to get him. 

Or they'll be like Sara on Arrow, her own father forgot she exists. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

In the new print issue of TV Guide, I read about this series called The Ministry of Time coming to Netflix - and thought of Legends of Tomorrow...

The Ministry of Time
SEASON PREMIERE
Seasons 1-3, Sunday, Jan. 28

Everyone knows the laws of time travel. Don't change history. Don't leave stuff behind. Yet, people still break them! This show's heroes go back (or forward) to fix those oopsies.

I believe this is the Spanish tv series described on IMDb here.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Did Wally leave again? If not that then I imagine his goodbye scene was filmed before he joined the Legends. It's not like they really cared about Wally when he was on the Flash. They even had him say no noticed he was gone including his dad and sister. At least on Legends he'd be noticed. I just wish we didn't have to lose Jax to get him. 

Or they'll be like Sara on Arrow, her own father forgot she exists. 

I don't think he is suppose to be appearing again this season so his "goodbye" was the crossover. Idk why they didn't jist have them join the team them and there.

Spoiler Room: Scoop on Handmaid's Tale, Once Upon a Time, Supergirl, and more
NATALIE ABRAMS January 18, 2018 AT 12:00 PM EST
http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/18/spoiler-room-handmaids-tale-once-upon-time-supergirl/

Any word on when Kara will find out about Sam being Reign on Supergirl? — Margaret
Considering Sam turns to Alex with her concerns over losing big chunks of time in an upcoming episode, I feel like we’re closer than ever to that reveal. “It does seem like it’s only a matter of time,” Melissa Benoist says. “What I think is the most important is how Sam is going to react, because obviously she has no awareness of what’s happening right now. The entire arc of the season is this identity crisis for every character, so if Kara finds out about Sam, if and when, it’s definitely going to be a part of that journey.” The question remains whether Kara will actually be there to support Sam through this twist. “That would be difficult,” Benoist says, “but knowing Supergirl, and how she tends to deal with situations, and how she thinks everyone deserves a second chance, and that you can change and be a better person and a hero, I think she’ll try to help her.”

Does the title of Friday’s episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. mean we’re finally going to see how the world really ended? — Rekka
“The Last Day” will definitely provide some major clues, but we won’t actually see what transpired, which means the mystery of whether Daisy is to blame still remains. “It alludes to a few things about [the end of the world],” Clark Gregg says. “It more refers to time running out where we are. We do start to get hints. Definitely putting together that mystery [of how the world ended] becomes a big part of where we’re going.”

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on The Gifted, Black Lightning, The Good Doctor, NCIS, H50, Lucifer, Once, Riverdale and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / January 19 2018, 11:39 AM PST
http://tvline.com/2018/01/19/gifted-season-2-spoilers-morlocks/

The Gifted is an awesome show and I’m looking forward to seeing Season 2. Any early scoop? —Lorraine
In addition to diving deeper into the Hellfire Club and the Purifiers, show boss Matt Nix also has this on his to-do list: “Obviously all these things are up in the air, but I’ve always been interested in exploring the Morlocks in more detail."
Black Lightning: How soon will Jefferson learn about his kids having powers and then suiting up? —Nicole
Though the release of a first look at Thunder, coupled with new Episode 3 stills, would suggest that eldest daughter Anissa is on the verge of fighting herself some crime, the show bosses won’t pin down a timeframe. “You’ve got to watch,” hedges EP Mara Brock Akil. “But it does happen this season.” In the meantime, Nafessa Williams says, “You’ll see in the first episodes [Anissa’s] struggle, with her powers and not being able to tell anybody. How do I keep this a secret? Are people going to think I’m crazy?” (Episode 2, in particular, finds her trying to properly explain the shattered sink to her girlfriend Chenoa, played by Shein Mompremier.) “She’s unsure as to what is even happening, she doesn’t even know how to articulate it with anyone.”

Edited by tv echo

Marvel's Cloak & Dagger unveils premiere date and sneak peek
SAMANTHA HIGHFILL January 18, 2018 AT 08:00 PM EST
http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/18/marvel-cloak-dagger-premiere-date-freeform

The series, based on the titular comics characters, follows Tandy Bowen (Olivia Holt) and Tyrone Johnson (Aubrey Joseph), two teenagers who’ve recently discovered that their superpowers are somehow linked: She can emit light daggers and he can engulf people in darkness. Once their powers more or less force them to come together, things only get more complicated as they start to develop feelings for each other.

Freeform announced today that Cloak & Dagger will debut with a two-hour series premiere Thursday, June 7, at 8 p.m. ET.

Edited by tv echo

Supergirl’s own Lena and Kara (Supercorp) are readers’ most-popular Arrowverse ‘ship
Mrs. Carter   January 19, 2018
https://cartermatt.com/286531/supergirls-lena-kara-supercorp-readers-popular-arrowverse-ship/

Going into this poll, our assumption was that Lena Luthor and Kara Danvers, otherwise known as “Supercorp” from everyone who checks out Supergirl, would be enormously popular. After all, they are a beloved pairing online and they also won the ‘Ship of the Year recently at the CarterMatt Awards. They formed a pretty big lead in the early going.

Yet, one of the things that we were very surprised about seeing later was the surge in votes for Sara Lance and Ava Sharpe from Legends of Tomorrow. While the two have been really fun together over the past few episodes of that show, we weren’t quite sure as to the size of their following. They’re still relatively new compared to most other Arrowverse ‘ships, but it’s pretty clear after looking at some of the voting that these are two characters many viewers out there want to see together at some point in the near future.
The final results
Supercorp is your favorite Arrowverse ‘ship, so congratulations are in order to them! They continue to fight for these two; no matter if you like them as a friendship or a potential relationship, there’s a lot to root for anytime these two characters are on screen. Here’s to hoping for some more great moments moving forward.

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

Yet, one of the things that we were very surprised about seeing later was the surge in votes for Sara Lance and Ava Sharpe from Legends of Tomorrow. While the two have been really fun together over the past few episodes of that show, we weren’t quite sure as to the size of their following. They’re still relatively new compared to most other Arrowverse ‘ships, but it’s pretty clear after looking at some of the voting that these are two characters many viewers out there want to see together at some point in the near future.

Yeah, since when does anyone like Sara and Ava?  I've only heard tolerance for her character, not like.

6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It wouldn't shock me if there was something behind the scenes.  Maybe something as simple Franz wanting to move on too since he was doing movies before joining Legends or an impasse maybe in negotiations since his role would be changing if he stayed, but I also know that I enjoyed Jax a lot more once I stopped following Franz's Instagram.  

21 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Yeah, since when does anyone like Sara and Ava?  I've only heard tolerance for her character, not like.

I've discovered since I joined Tumblr that "Avalance" has quite a following.  I don't personally get it - it was only in the midseason finale that I started to warm up to her - but.....yeah, it's there.

• Love 1

Sara and Ava might  actually happen,  which distresses me because I think Sara deserves better than Ava, but Supercorp strikes me as one of those "Let's put these two people who have shown zero romantic interest in each other together because they're the same sex and it's so cool" things. Which is okay as long as they know it's not going to happen and don't get mad when it doesn't like the SwanQueen shippers.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

Ava was significantly more likeable than usual in the last episode. Though the shift in writing was rather abrupt. She really warmed up to Sara and the Legends quite quickly. 

A Beebo Season miracle?  

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Can someone give be a brief rundown on what happened to LoT and what will happen to SG?

LoT has vanished and I read that it will replace SG? When is this happening and when will SG come back?

The way I understand it is that the Monday 8pm time slot will go like this:

Jan. 15-Feb. 5: Supergirl 310-313

Feb. 12-Apr. 9: Legends 310-318

Apr. 16-Jun. 18: Supergirl 314-322 (or 323, not sure).

Source

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3
Just now, Starfish35 said:

The way I understand it is that the Monday 8pm time slot will go like this:

Jan. 15-Feb. 5: Supergirl 310-313

Feb. 12-Apr. 9: Legends 310-318

Apr. 16-Jun. 18: Supergirl 314-322 (or 323, not sure).

Ahh thank you so much! That is the weirdest thing ever but thank you for the info! 

Do you know if Flash and Arrow will end in June then? Or earlier?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Do you know if Flash and Arrow will end in June then? Or earlier?

I don't think finale dates have been announced yet, but they should end at their normal time in May, I would think.  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Some people speculated that Franz just having had a baby and based on his twitter spending his time at home and thinking of switching to doing music has something to do with it. I don't know how realistic "he wanted to spend time with his baby" is, wouldn't most people just take a break? So far everybody seems to talk about it like it's a fairly final thing for now. 

I look forward to Avalance, then again, I tend to enjoy antagonistic ships. 

The moment I saw their big fight scene I just knew there was no way it was a coincidence that they cast somebody with those stunt skills. Especially since the actress was also part of an f/f romance on her previous show, mistresses. I'm fairly sure that at the very least Ava is already gay so it's not gonna be some coming out love story at least like Sanvers was. 

Edited by tinnefoil
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Franz can still come back can't he? They didn't kill him! Plus this is Arrowverse! They ALWAYS come back!

The good news is the only way Jax stays permanently gone is if Franz and/or the show runners refuse. Since he's alive he could just show back one day. Thanks to time travel and alternate dimensions and such, even those who actually die like Stein and Snart, can return. Aah, comic books.  :)

As for Sara and Ava, I too like a good antagonistic relationship. It can be fun to watch. I can see them dating for a while, but given all their differences I don't imagine it could really be anything long term.

• Love 1

@Mellowyellow, looks like there might be a ring watch for FitzSimmons too if they keep those flash forward up. Even if they don't, boy was I surprised at seeing that ring in the flash forward to 2022.

Side note, looks a recurring theme for multiple superhero shows this year is "parenting/family" now with Arrow, Supergirl, potentially Flash, and now to a lesser extent AoS all doing the introducing kid figures (even if only for a moment).

I agree with most, but not all, of this list...

15 Arrowverse Couples Who Have Zero Chemistry Together
by Stephanie Holland   January 19, 2018
https://www.cbr.com/arrowverse-couples-no-chemistry/

15. JAMES AND LENA
14. IRIS AND EDDIE
13. MOIRA AND WALTER
12. OLIVER AND SUSAN
11. JAMES AND KARA
10. SHADO AND SLADE
9. WALLY AND JESSE
8. CAITLIN AND JULIAN
7. THEA AND ALEX