Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Supergirl is casting the HRIC Lois Lane!

https://screenrant.com/supergirl-tv-show-casting-lois-lane/

Mon-Els REAL costume is revealed in the midseason CW trailer.

So it really does look like that montage picture that has been flying around on the internet for ages. 

I enjoyed Black Lightning a lot. Love the relationship between Black Lightning and his wife. Really good villain storytelling. The fight scenes were not *amazing* but they weren't cringeworthy either. 

Black Lightning was really good. Much better than I thought it would be. Cress Williams has a lot of charisma which I remember from when he was on FNL.  Loved the soundtrack as well. Good start for that show IMO

• Love 1

Still catching up on The Flash.  Cecile's defense was so much worse than I expected even after reading comments here.  It would have been SOOOO easy to poke holes in the wife's story about her husband being fine with her sexing it up with the other guy.  Just a few pointed suggestions about her lying or even about them getting impatient for her husband to die or the husband getting jealous after all. This is not complicated stuff.  

Also, this is Central City where crazy stuff is happening all the time.  Why can't they at least lay out what they think really happened with the body swapping?  How is that any crazier than all the rest of the crap that's gone down? At least say something.  

And Barry refusing to defend himself on the stand because....I honestly don't get why he was refusing.  Sure, don't mention being the Flash, but so what if he would have to lie to protect his secret?  He's happy to lie about it all the rest of the time. 

Also, I'm missing the original Devoe.  Young hot Devoe is a crap actor next to the original guy.    

• Love 2

I have to say that, so far, I really like Brainiac 5.  I wouldn't care if he and Kara hooked up but I'd love to have him stick around.  Let this season wrap up Mon-el's part of the story and pop him on a Delorean to go back to the future while Brainy stays. 

And Streaky the cat.  He needs to join the cast also.  She can call him Streaky 2.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, JJ928 said:

I loved Black Lightning! I hope it does good ratings. What a strong pilot, I hope they keep this level of storytelling, and I hope they keep it separate. I don't ever want to see Jefferson playing second fiddle to Oliver and Barry.

Interesting that in the pilot they do mention that he exists in a world where there are other Superheroes though.  

2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

I think the Akils would have more say in how he is portrayed. They aren't going to let MG and co. make him in Oliver and Barrys sidekick thats for sure. 

I can't help think he and Oliver would get on wonderfully.  They have an awful lot in common.  I think they could use him in an appropriate manner that respected his dignity.   

They should have denied Barry bail and had him in jail until the trial, so they can build up to it and then have him acquitted. It's obvious the writers just want him in prison for a while, but this would have been more realistic.

• Love 1

I also was struck with how badly Black Lightning seemed paired with The Flash.  The Flash seems so silly next to Black Lightning.  I also can't imagine all those kids watching The Flash to stick around for BL.  Even if they did, mom and dad probably freaked out over the violence and shut it off.  BL and Arrow would have gone really well together.  

• Love 6

Go to link to watch audition video...

EXCLUSIVE: Lois Lane Could Be Finally Appearing On ‘Supergirl’
Caleb Williams   January 16, 2018
http://omegaunderground.com/2018/01/16/exclusive-lois-lane-finally-appearing-supergirl/

Now we at Omega Underground have exclusively uncovered that a casting call has possibly gone out to cast Lois for either the end of season 3 (which has been put on hiatus due to Andrew Kreisberg’s firing) or saved for season 4. We found an audition tape of actress Sarah Ceballos (Sector 17, Marge) reading for the part of Lois Lane:
Sarah Ceballos_”Lois Lane”_Audition from Sarah Ceballos on Vimeo.

Reporter-  “Tell me your relationship with Superman?”

Lois – “If I had a dollar for every time somebody asked me that question I’d be a millionaire. Just kidding! But my relationship with Superman is completely unpredictable, I never know when I’m going to see him, he’s always in and out-of-town. But that is also the fun part about it is that I’m constantly being kept on my toes and surprised. So I’m hoping one day and honey if your hearing this I’m waiting for that rock on my finger.”

Reporter – “And what is it like to meet Supergirl?”

Lois – “Well it’s funny you ask that! Supergirl is very down to earth. She’s kind and I think that it’s great that young ladies today have somebody to look up too. Especially, given the fact we continuously hear of these predators, are coming into the forefront and harassment being a big issue. I think it’s important they have someone to look up too.”

Edited by tv echo

HH numbers for Flash and Black Lightning

8:00 p.m.
ABC – “The Middle”: 4.1/ 6 (#3)
CBS – “NCIS” (R): 6.1/10 (#1)
NBC – “Ellen’s Game of Games”: 5.0/ 8 (#2)
Fox – “Lethal Weapon”: 3.5/ 6 (#4)
CW – “The Flash”: 1.9/ 3 (#5)

8:30 p.m.
ABC – “Fresh Off the Boat”: 2.6/ 4 (#3)
CBS – “NCIS” (R): 5.9/ 9 (#1)
NBC – “Ellen’s Game of Games”: 5.6/ 9 (#2)
Fox – “Lethal Weapon”: 3.4/ 5 (#4)
CW – “The Flash”: 1.9/ 3 (#5)

9:00 p.m.
ABC – “black-ish”: 2.7/ 4 (#3)
CBS – “NCIS: New Orleans” (R): 5.5/ 9 (#2)
NBC – “This Is Us”: 6.9/11 (#1)
Fox – “LA to Vegas”: 2.0/ 3 (#4)
CW – “Black Lightning” (series premiere): 1.7/ 3 (#5)

9:30 p.m.
ABC – “Modern Family” (R): 2.0/ 3 (#3)
CBS – “NCIS: New Orleans” (R): 5.5/ 9 (#2)
NBC – “This Is Us”: 6.6/10 (#1)
Fox – “The Mick”: 1.6/ 3 (#5)
CW – “Black Lightning” (series premiere): 1.8/ 3 (#4)

http://programminginsider.com/tuesday-overnights-respectable-sampling-black-lightning-cw/?platform=hootsuite

No noms for any Arrowverse or DC TV shows, but Marvel's Agents of SHIELD got 1 nom (go to link to see other 21 categories)...

Visual Effects Society Announces Nominees for the 16th Annual VES Awards
January 16, 2018  Visual Effects Society
http://mailchi.mp/visualeffectssociety/95l3leeisz?e=f34fbbfcaf

Today, the Visual Effects Society (VES), the industry’s professional global honorary society, announced the nominees for the 16th Annual VES Awards, the prestigious yearly celebration that recognizes outstanding visual effects artistry and innovation in film, animation, television, commercials and video games and the VFX supervisors, VFX producers and hands-on artists who bring this work to life. BLADE RUNNER 2049  and WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES tie for the most feature film nominations with seven each.  DESPICABLE ME 3 is the top animated film contender with five nominations and GAME OF THRONES leads the broadcast field and scores the most nominations overall with 11. 

Nominees in 24 categories were selected by VES members via events hosted by 10 of its Sections, including Australia, Bay Area, London, Los Angeles, Montreal, New York, New Zealand, Toronto, Vancouver and Washington. The VES Awards will be held on February 13th at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.  As previously announced, the VES Georges Méliès Award will be presented to Academy Award®-winning visual effects master Joe Letteri, VES. The VES Lifetime Achievement Award will be presented to acclaimed producer-writer-director Jon Favreau.  Award-winning actor-comedian-author Patton Oswalt will once again host the VES Awards. 

Nominees for Outstanding Visual Effects in a Photoreal Episode: 
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.; Orientation Part 1
Game of Thrones; Beyond the Wall        
Legion; Chapter 1
Star Trek: Discovery; The Vulcan Hello
Stranger Things 2; The Gate

Nominees for Outstanding Visual Effects in a Photoreal Feature: 
Blade Runner 2049
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Kong: Skull Island
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
War for the Planet of the Apes

Nominees for Outstanding Virtual Cinematography in a Photoreal Project:
Beauty and the Beast; Be Our Guest
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2; Groot Dance/Opening Fight
Star Wars: The Last Jedi; Crait Surface Battle
Thor: Ragnarok; Valkyrie's Flashback

Edited by tv echo

I don't understand ratings much, but it looks like it retained most of Flash's audience. Is that better than what Legends used to do? I was hoping for a bit more since it is a premiere, let's see if there is any drop off next week. 

1 minute ago, tinnefoil said:

I don't understand ratings much, but it looks like it retained most of Flash's audience. Is that better than what Legends used to do? I was hoping for a bit more since it is a premiere, let's see if there is any drop off next week. 

The HH numbers for LOT wee usually at 1.2/1.1

29 minutes ago, tinnefoil said:

I don't really count Pilot ratings, the second week is what really matters long run. If Black Lightening retains that for the next few weeks, then yes it will be better than what LoT did.  

For me BL was okay. The acting was pretty good, better than most CW shows. I'll watch a few more episodes to see if it's a show for me. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I know that Berlanti and the show's EPs have said that Black Lightning will not be part of the Arrowverse (for now), but did you catch this bit from last night's premiere?

During one of the scenes between Jeff and Lynn, the TV is on in the background and you can clearly hear this man on a TV news segment say, "That's a curious question. Why is he a vigilante, but other communities have folks with superpowers and all of a sudden they’re heroes? This shows you how in this country... there’s a double standard when it comes to ...."

I immediately thought of the Flash in Central City. So they've left the door open for Black Lightning to join the Arrowverse - or at least the Arrowverse on some Earth.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, tv echo said:

I know that Berlanti and the show's EPs have said that Black Lightning will not be part of the Arrowverse (for now), but did you catch this bit from last night's premiere?

During one of the scenes between Jeff and Lynn, the TV is on in the background and you can clearly hear this man on TV say, "Why is he a vigilante while other communities have folks with superpowers, and all of a sudden, they're heroes? ..."

I immediately thought of the Flash in Central City. So they've left the door open for Black Lightning to join the Arrowverse - or at least the Arrowverse on some Earth.

Sure but, it's just a likely that Black Lightning exists on a separate Earth with its own Superheroes like Supergirl (NOT on Supergirl's Earth) there are 53 Earths in this multiverse, so far we've seen 1, 2, 3 (Jay Garrick), 38 (Supergirl's Earth) and Earth X.

There's no reason they'd put Black Lightning on Earth 1, 2, 3, or 38 after saying he's not part of the Arrowverse. When throwing him on Earth (insert # here) gives them more freedom to build their own universe AND still allows for potential crossovers IF they want to do them in the future.

Personally, I'd prefer Black Lightning does its own thing for awhile, rather than forcing it to fit in to the Arrowverse.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

We've seen a couple Earth's on The Flash with the different Well's and how they were dressed a slight indicator on what that Earth looks like (or Wells just dresses in strange outfits on every other Earth for fun). And Gypsy is from Earth 19. 

I still haven't decided if I want to watch Black Lightening. I want to support the show but I'm burned out of superhero shows. I may just stream it in the background so it still gets those views.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Chaser said:

I still haven't decided if I want to watch Black Lightening. I want to support the show but I'm burned out of superhero shows. I may just stream it in the background so it still gets those views.

I think this one is really refreshing and unlike any other ARrowverse shows. You should give it a chance.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Quit the ones you don't like, that's what I did. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I've quit most. I'm just watching The Gifted and spot watching Arrow now.

I'm sure I'll eventually start watching. I like the comparisons to Arrow S1 that I've been hearing and I really like the lead.

Last night was the first time I put The Flash as my secondary show when watching live. Since my Tuesdays are filled with so many shows that I watch, I've had to resort to my primary and secondary shows when watching live (secondary shows are the ones I flip to during my primary show's commercials). And even reading through recaps and reviews for The Flash episode, I felt like I missed nothing of importance and won't be rushing to watch the episode in full. It looks like The Flash may be the first Arrowverse show I drop. I'm just tired of it in general now. 

As for Black Lightning, I haven't gotten a chance to watch yet and I don't get the channel in Canada to watch it live anyway, even if I didn't have that time slot filled, but the more I read the reviews about it, the more I look forward to going home this afternoon to watch. 

• Love 2

I'll be watching it.  I thought last night's episode was really good. Not perfect maybe - the action could have been a bit better.  But the characters and the story are great, and I'm interested to see where it goes.  

9 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I'm only watching Legends, so I have plenty of a room for a new superhero show. 

Same here.  

• Love 1

Note to fellow Canucks: Watch for Black Lightning on Netflix! It has a similar deal to Riverdale, where the episodes will drop soon after airing in the States.

I friggin' loved the pilot - if this keeps up, it's going to be my favourite superhero show after Legends.

I would love Oliver and Jefferson to meet. I think Jefferson would be the only current Arrowverse superhero Oliver could look up to as a mentor, rather than as a junior or an equal. Jefferson's older and more experienced at this; he's human (unlike MM); he's in the same "field of work" (unlike Quentin, Joe, Martin - sob; R.I.P); and if I'm interpreting correctly he's been through the wringer in terms of ambivalence about his vigilante status and the toll it's taken on his personal life, and yet he clawed his way back to a normal life. Oliver would turn into a wide-eyed padawan around him eager to soak up everything he can, and I'd fucking love to see it.

I love Barry, I love Iris, I love the show - but I could not take that trial seriously. You could hear the creaks as they tried to maneuvre the plot points into position to put Barry behind bars as fast as possible.

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I'll be watching it.  I thought last night's episode was really good. Not perfect maybe - the action could have been a bit better.  But the characters and the story are great, and I'm interested to see where it goes.  

Same here.  

One thing I'm going to have a problem with is his costume.  We mocked Laurel's shiny buckles but this guy walks around glowing.  Maybe stealth isn't important in his MO?  There also was this laughable moment when he's watching the police scurry around in the aftermath of him dealing with the bad guys.  He's standing on the roof with the suit all glowing and yet no one notices him?  

But I think the costume was my only big issue.  They really managed to infuse menace and high stakes into the fights.  I can't recall the last time I was nervous watching any of the Arrowverse shows (or I guess I can, the climbing scene in 5-20) but BL had me worried several times.  I'm hoping Arrow's writers and fight coordinator looks at BL and remembers how to do that again.  

12 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

I actually kinda feel bad for Candice... She could be thriving on a show like Black Lighting, but here she is on Flash not being respected and valued like she deserves. 

Her scene where she's going to burst into the courtroom and spill Barry's secret was painful to watch.  The part in the middle  where Barry speeds to her and inconceivably they talk for a while while everyone else seems frozen wasn't so bad but before and after she came off like a fool. 

Also felt bad for her since it seemed Barry hadn't asked her opinion on any of this stuff before making his choices.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Also felt bad for her since it seemed Barry hadn't asked her opinion on any of this stuff before making his choices.  

Well he never asks her opinion about anything and he doesn't really listen to her a lot which is a huge problem in that relationship which was apparently supposed to have been solved when they went to couples therapy but I guess they didn't... Who'd have thought 1 session of therapy couldn't fix big issues in relationships? 

• Love 3

Loved everything about Black Lightning...It felt weird watching such a well written show after that episode of the Flash. Like I was watching two shows on two completely different networks, BL felt like it was a show made for Netflix. I cant wait to see what the rest of the season has in store.

I thought that scene between Iris and Marlize was superb, Candice really shines when given good material. Still disappointed how they had her not do any investigative journalism on this particular case. But the show refuses to acknowledge she actually had a career before she became Barry's cheerleader. 

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Miss Dee said:

I would love Oliver and Jefferson to meet. I think Jefferson would be the only current Arrowverse superhero Oliver could look up to as a mentor, rather than as a junior or an equal. 

I was thinking the same thing! Jefferson has also dealt with being chased around by the cops as a vigilante, and has seen his personal life hurt by being a superhero, started his superheroing with a revenge kick, but he has come out as a well adjusted leader of the community and loving father. I think Oliver would think he was the coolest and most awesome hero ever, and would be taking notes on his entire career. They can also bond over being chased around by the authorities while trying ti clean up their horribly messed up cities, by cops more interested in chasing superheroes than gang members and super villains. 

I really liked Black Lightening, I hope it keeps up the strength of the pilot. It has a good cast and sharp writing, and the villains seem promisingly scary. I hope we get to see more fights in the future though, and learn more about what all Jefferson can do with his powers. And his daughters new powers. Agree with others that it would pair better with Arrow though. Its a pretty dark show, more like an MCU Netflix show than much of the Arrowverse. It would pair much better with Arrow. 

I am also interested to see how this world differs from Earth 1, and what other superheroes are running around. Are they still in the "just a few guys in costumes fighting organized crime" stage, or the "tons of costumes with superpowers fight telepathic gorilla armies and aliens invasions" stage? I assume their Earth 27 or something, and there will be a cross over of some kind. I hope there is anyway. As long as its done well. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Unrounded preliminary numbers from RJK at SpottedRatings.com:

I'm glad Black Lightning's first episode has done well. This isn't even accounting for the online viewership yet (I, for one, am going to be watching after work). I'm sure going against The Flash helped its numbers, but hopefully the drop in episode 2 isn't substantial. 

• Love 2

So...did they put Barry in jail so that other slice of white bread could play the main hero for a couple of episodes? Why couldn't they do that for Wally who is actually Flash? Mmhmm. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

So...did they put Barry in jail so that other slice of white bread could play the main hero for a couple of episodes? Why couldn't they do that for Wally who is actually Flash? Mmhmm. 

There is nothing The Flash loves more then the white man of the season, they will bend over backwards for them vs. using their established characters.

• Love 4
Just now, Primal Slayer said:

There is nothing The Flash loves more then the white man of the season, they will bend over backwards for them vs. using their established characters.

This is why I don't bother watching. I just DVR and watch Iris scenes, which unfortunately have mostly been with Barry the last few eps. I'm actually looking forward to Wally on Legends because they do a decent job of using their cast. The fact that they replaced Wally with such a basic & unseasoned character like Ralph, who looks like a cartoon sperm in his blue onesie, is offensive and I was never a huge Wally fan to begin with. As it is Iris, Cisco, Joe, and Caitlin could use some character focus... but like you said they love their white dudes.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Angel12d said:

Reminds me of how they sidelined Oliver (also in season three) to make Laurel relevant as the BC.  

• Love 2

Just caught Black Lightning.  Really liked it.  They got as close as a CW show might to looking at some serious social issues, and had great character work bolstered by good acting. The fight scenes were awesome and reminded me of the best blacksploitation films.  I look forward to getting to know Atlanta's alley ways and loading docks as well as I now know Vancouver's.

• Love 2

Jane Fonda, Tom Selleck, Greg Berlanti Get Emotional at Tartikoff Awards
By Cynthia Littleton   JANUARY 17, 2018
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/jane-fonda-tom-selleck-greg-berlanti-1202667669/

The 15th annual Brandon Tartikoff Legacy Awards ceremony, held Wednesday night at the Fontainebleau Hotel as part of the NATPE conference, was an emotional affair for the five honorees. In addition to Fonda, Selleck, and Berlanti, the recipients included Cesar Conde, chairman of NBCUniversal International and NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises, and Kevin Reilly, president of TNT and TBS and chief creative officer of Turner.

The awards recognize executives and personalities who have made significant contributions to the industry.
Warner Bros. TV Group president Peter Roth made the trek from Los Angeles to present the award to Berlanti. He noted the similarities between Tartikoff and the uber-producer behind CW’s “The Flash,” “Arrow,” “Supergirl,” NBC’s “Blindspot” and other TV shows and director of films including the upcoming “Love, Simon.” Berlanti and Tartikoff both qualify as “visionaries, ferocious competitors and passionate advocates for the best television has to offer,” Roth said.

Berlanti choked up as he pointed to his father in the audience and spoke of the loss of his mother last year to cancer. He said Tartikoff was the first network executive’s name he ever learned as a kid. Berlanti began his career as a TV writer in 1997, the same year Tartikoff died. On a lighter note, he also had a thank-you for Selleck and his “Magnum P.I.” legacy.

“As a closeted gay kid growing up in the ’80s I’d like to thank you for popularizing men wearing short shorts,” he said.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

‘Flash’ Standalone Film Taps Directors John Francis Daley, Jonathan Goldstein (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll  January 16, 2018
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/flash-movie-directors-john-francis-daley-jonathan-goldstein-1202665854/

“Spider-Man: Homecoming” scribes John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein are in negotiations to direct “Flashpoint,” the Flash standalone movie starring Ezra Miller.

Warner Bros. had no comment.

The studio had initially courted Ben Affleck to return to the director’s chair, but he passed on the gig. By tapping Daley and Goldstein, the studio seems to eye a comedic tone for the film, given the duo’s directing background on movies like “Vacation” and the upcoming “Game Night,” starring Jason Bateman.

The two are no strangers to the comic-book world, having penned the script to the smash hit “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” which they were also on the shortlist to direct.

Flashpoint” had been on hold since director Rick Famuyiwa stepped away from the project. While looking for his replacement, the studio decided to take the script in a different direction. Joby Harold has turned in a new draft after a page-one rewrite.
This comes as Warner Bros. is reshuffling the DC Universe with New Line exec Walter Hamada recently promoted to oversee its comic book movies. The studio also recently tapped Michael De Luca as a producer on the “Suicide Squad” sequel.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Brandon Routh on Wally West Coming To 'Legends of Tomorrow'
By RUSS BURLINGAME - January 15, 2018
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/15/brandon-routh-on-wally-west-coming-to-legends-of-tomorrow/

One trope as old as the hills -- and one that many comic books and comic book shows have been criticized for employing over the years -- is to have a character from an underrepresented group (be it race, gender, or religion) exit a series in order to "make room" for another. At this point, most shows are conscious of the trope and avoid it, but that makes situations like the one DC's Legends of Tomorrow recently faced a potential target for criticism and jokes.

Series regular Franz Drameh, who played Jax, one half of Firestorm, left the series recently, and shortly thereafter came news that Keiynan Lonsdale will bring Wally West to the show. Swapping out one young, black character for another was something some fans had joked about or questioned, even while expressing excitement about Wally getting a new home.

Speaking with ComicBook.com during this weekend's DC in DC event, series star Brandon Routh said that while the cast and crew are aware of the trope, he does not think it will be a concern for fans, who already have an understanding of the characters, who they are, and what they can bring from the table apart from their demographics.

“Yeah. You know, I think that goes with the talent that Keiynan brings to his role and to this newly-forming — is it forming? — energy of him coming in to be a part of our show for a little bit,” said Routh, who plays Ray Palmer on the series. “I think for the most part, our writers are writing for us as a team and putting the team first, and if we can make poignant stories about cultural differences or religious differences, then we do, but if we can’t, then we are all working together on the team to solve history, which is I feel like a place that we can get to in the world, where we can understand that we all have differences but we can all talk person to person, human to human.”
Network president Mark Pedowitz said during a recent interview that Wally would be heading to Legends of Tomorrow for a while, but did not say whether Lonsdale would become a permanent fixture on the show. Londsale, who debuted on The Flash, had been largely sidelined on that show and recently took a hiatus wherein his character left Central City altogether.

Edited by tv echo