Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I hope it's OK to post this, it gave me a good chuckle and, I now really want Marvel to make a video of this. 

Lol. Do you think they have to do the Chris last initial thing?  I wonder who gets to be just Chris. 

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I am so deeply conflicted! Black Lighting looks really good and I cant wait to watch it, BUT it means I wont get my LoT fix for a few more weeks!

The struggle is real. 

My friends and I also have a dilemma: to watch or not to watch another show from Berlanti. I'd love to support a show with POC leads but ... I've been so disappointed by Berlanti shows in the past.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

My friends and I also have a dilemma: to watch or not to watch another show from Berlanti. I'd love to support a show with POC leads but ... I've been so disappointed by Berlanti shows in the past.

Think of it like How to Get Away With Murder (if you watch it), Berlantis name is on it just to help get it made. Other then that he has little to do with the series like Shonda has very little to do with HTGAWM. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Think of it like How to Get Away With Murder (if you watch it), Berlantis name is on it just to help get it made. Other then that he has little to do with the series like Shonda has very little to do with HTGAWM. 

Yeah, but I also don't want to "reward" him by supporting another one of his shows. Because even if it is just name, he definitely still gets money out of it.

• Love 1

He'll get money regardless. When you look deep into things, a lot of tv/movies have someone on the payroll (like Brett Ratner on Wonder Woman) Black Lightning is going to be the first black superhero in live action tv. The show being good and succeeding is bigger then Berlanti imo.

• Love 3

Dont look at it like your rewarding Berlanti, look at it like your rewarding lots of hard working decent actors, writers, producers, costume designers, makeup artists, caterers, and everyone else who works on this show and who probably deserve to have a job. Dont let one guy ruin everything. 

• Love 12

I hated the last three seasons of House M.D. so much that I swore I would never watch another David Shore show again. And The Good Doctor is still the season's break out show.

If you think you'll enjoy the show, watch it. The fact that it's a Black superhero with African American producers and writers far outweighs that it comes from Berlanti's workshop.

• Love 5

I hate Berlanti and told myself I'd never watch another one of his shows, but I will be tuning into Black Lightning. Not only does it look good, it has a solid cast, and it'll be the first show on this network that centers on  a Black superhero & his family. I think it's definitely something to at least give a chance. I'd never say watch something you don't enjoy, but I do trust these showrunners more than any other showrunner this network has ever had. At this point Berlanti gonna make money no matter what... but I think he has his fingers in too many things to really be a hinderance to BL. 

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 5

I am looking forward to Black Lightning.  The trailers make me think of Luke Cage, where the heroes are grounded in a community.  I am willing to be open to superhero shows when Kriesberg and Guggenheim have limited to no involvement because I think that Berlanti, Kreisberg, and Guggenheim together have turned into self-congratulating fanboys (and also because Kriesberg is a scumbag and Guggenheim has the emotional intelligence of a 12-year-old).   The show runners of Black Lightening, their experience, and how they talk about the hero and the world they built give me real hope.

• Love 3

I have reservations about watching another Berlanti show on The CW,  but the trailer for Black Lightning looks really good, it has a great cast and best of all it doesn’t have Guggenheim or Kreisberg attached to it.  

At this point, the only show I’m still watching is Arrow so I’d really love to find another superhero show I can enjoy. 

• Love 1

Supergirl's Melissa Benoist addresses Andrew Kreisberg firing
NATALIE ABRAMS January 15, 2018 AT 01:27 PM EST
http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/15/supergirl-melissa-benoist-andrew-kreisberg/

At the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour Monday, Supergirl star Melissa Benoist addressed how the allegations of sexual harassment against, and subsequent firing of, former Supergirl boss Andrew Kreisberg have affected the series.

“That was a major disappointment, and the irony was not lost on me,” Benoist said following her panel for Paramount project Waco. “I have to say that the way our show has recovered as a cast and a crew together, we have an atmosphere on set now that I’m extremely proud of and there are a lot of amazing men that work on our show, and we have a lot of amazing women that are in powerful positions on our show as well — now one of our co-showrunners is a female, [Jessica Queller], and the executive producer Sarah Schechter. We’re all in the fight for equality and for a safer atmosphere in the working space.”
Asked how the business does better as a whole, Benoist says, “I think it’s a matter of empathy, and it’s a matter of listening to each other and maybe as standing in each other’s shoes for a day across genders, and across sexualities, across any platforms. I just think it’s a matter of listening to each other. It’s hard to talk about something when you’re still so in the thick of it, when you’re still so engulfed by sorting out the confusion, but I have a lot of hope. I think that people are better than the way things have been.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Pretty cool to see SA and GG in ths same trailer with the Justice League stars...

Justice League Battles Thanos in Fan-Made 'Avengers: Infinity War'-Style Trailer
By CAMERON BONOMOLO - January 15, 2018
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/01/15/justice-league-vs-thanos-avengers-infinity-war-style-trailer/

A fan-made re-imagining of the Justice League trailer pits the heroes (and villains) of the DC Extended Universe and the Arrowverse against Thanos using footage and audio from Marvel Studios' Avengers: Infinity War trailer.

Assembling footage from Green Lantern, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, The Flash and Arrow, the fan trailer unites Batman (Ben Affleck), Superman (Henry Cavill), Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot), the Flash (Grant Gustin), Green Arrow (Stephen Amell), Cyborg (Ray Fisher), Aquaman (Jason Momoa), and Green Lantern (Ryan Reynolds) as the only line of defense against the world-invading Thanos (Josh Brolin).

The faux trailer ends mirroring the moment Thor (Chris Hemsworth) encounters the Guardians of the Galaxy, substituting the criminal super-team from Suicide Squad with the intergalactic band of heroes lead by Star-Lord (Chris Pratt).

Justice League: Avengers Infinity War Style
Published on Jan 15, 2018, by Live Breathe Media

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

How The CW's Schedule Change Affected 'Legends of Tomorrow'
By JOSEPH SCHMIDT - January 15, 2018
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/15/legends-of-tomorrow-supergirl-time-changes/

Specifically, Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl will be sharing the same slot on Mondays, taking turns with the Girl of Steel first in line. Legends executive producer Marc Guggenheim spoke with ComicBook.com about the shift, shedding some light on how it affected the production.

"They gave us that news, you know, towards the end of last year and we're like, okay," Guggenheim said. "We assumed that Black Lightning would necessitate some kind of scheduling change. So it wasn't terribly surprising to us … It may even show proof of concept for your own programming or shorter orders or more shows with short orders. I don't know. It's an interesting experiment that they're undertaking."

While the change might lead to the network approving more short-order series, there's a risk with time changes. But Guggenheim has confidence that Legends' audience will continue to tune in.

"I think, you know, the other thing that the CW feels, I think, correctly is all the shows now, they've sort of proven that the audience follows the shows," Guggenheim said. "Arrow's ratings are insanely stable despite both a night change and a time change. Legends has bounced around. This I think will be our third move across the schedule and our ratings remain very consistent.

"All the shows have very loyal audiences and you know how to find the shows, so I think the sense is over at the CW is that they can make these moves and it doesn't carry with it the risks that other shows on other networks typically have to bite their nails, you know, white-knuckle themselves through as they make these scheduling changes."

Asked if the schedule shift changes how they planned for Legends' third season, the producer said no "because we didn't know far enough in advance."

"The thing that I think, one of the biggest misnomers about television production in general is how far ahead we are working, compared to air dates," Guggenheim said. "We are working months in advance and we are working on story arcs that were worked out even further ahead. So there's no way to make an adjustment based upon that. At the same time though, at least this move is coinciding with our normal mid-season break between episodes 9 and 10 like, which we traditionally do. We at least always write towards that."

So don't expect a huge change to the Legends of Tomorrow, except waiting a little bit longer for new episodes than you're used to.

Edited by tv echo
10 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Legends has bounced around. This I think will be our third move across the schedule and our ratings remain very consistent.

Second, unless I'm forgetting something.  They started out Thursdays at 8pm, and then moved to Tuesdays at 9pm in the middle of season two.  So....third time slot, but second move.

Greg Berlanti Opens Up About Andrew Kreisberg: ‘I Was Shocked, I Was Disappointed, I Was Confused’ (EXCLUSIVE)

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/greg-berlanti-andrew-kreisberg-love-simon-black-lightning-1202665131/

It’s been just about two months since the revelations about producer Andrew Kreisberg’s misconduct came to light, leading to his dismissal from his role as showrunner of “The Flash” and “Supergirl.”

In an extensive interview with Variety in his office on the Warner Bros. lot, it’s clear Greg Berlanti — whose Berlanti Productions banner oversees those series, among others — is still coming to terms with what he might have done differently. (Kreisberg has denied the allegations.) With 10 series in production across broadcast, cable, and streaming, along with directing an upcoming movie, “Love, Simon” (based on the novel “Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda”), Berlanti has been juggling the demands of those multiple productions alongside addressing the workplace issues raised by the Kreisberg reports.

There’s been rampant speculation about what Berlanti knew and when, and whether he protected the producer. But while Berlanti says he was aware of Kreisberg’s anger management issues, and had worked with the producer to resolve them, he says he only learned of the sexual harassment complaints — and the full extent of his misconduct — a week before Variety’s story broke.

“I was shocked, I was disappointed, I was confused,” says Berlanti. “But my overwhelming desire then and to this moment was how can I fix this, how can I help people that may have been hurt in any way. That is still the predominant feeling I have about all of it. So that supersedes all of the other feelings and emotions.”

Here, Berlanti opens up to Variety about how he’s going to combat the problem going forward, his plans for parity behind and in front of the camera, and what other projects he has in development.

When did you first learn what was going on with Kreisberg?

I first received an allegation about Andrew and harassment about a week before the Variety article came out. It was from a third party, not affiliated with any of the shows, who called me and shared something with me that I found deeply upsetting. I immediately alerted Warner Brothers. They had just heard the same thing and decided they were going to begin an internal investigation right away. The article came out and brought other things to light. Immediately Sarah [Schechter, head of Berlanti Productions] and I went around to all the writer’s rooms and post rooms and up to the sets and encouraged everyone to report anything that they had known or seen and that they were safe to report it. [Warner Bros. TV] completed their investigation and shared the findings with us and then made their determination [to fire Kreisberg]. And we agreed with it.

How has the mood been on the sets and in writers’ rooms since?

I have to say I think everything’s been so much more open and positive. I think everyone, everywhere we went really saw this crisis as an opportunity to — myself included — to create an incredibly positive place to work. This is particularly disappointing to me that it happened. Because in my career, I really prided myself on creating, I thought, really positive places for individuals to work. And specifically my favorite thing about my job was working with writers in writers’ rooms. So the fact that this happened there was really upsetting and disappointing. But again, I see it as an opportunity to learn and to grow and to do my part to work even harder to make sure that I’m creating the kind of atmosphere and environment that I thought that I was.

What policies and procedures have you put in place to make sure it doesn’t happen again?

Well, I’ve been reading everything I can. I’ve said this before, and prior to this issue coming up in the industry, that it’s such a fascinating thing that showrunners get handed these $40, $50, $60 million companies without any human resources experience. And so you’re learning how to be a creative boss, a creative leader, you’re learning budgets, you’re learning how to manage people and personalities. I’ve been looking really closely at things we can do now to improve the systems that were already in place that I thought were more effective than they were. One, for instance: We always do entry interviews and advocate to all of our showrunners different writers that we would like them to hire. Now we’re instituting as a company [a rule that] if a writer gets let go from any of our shows, we’re going to do our own exit interview with them as well. I’m going to do anonymous performance reviews at the end of every season that get submitted to all the departments that showrunners are in charge of directly — the post [production] department and all of the writers on each of the shows — so that they can let us know what we can be doing better and not have it be attributable to them. Hopefully I’ll find out more stuff from that about what we can be doing better as a company, and that people will feel safe to criticize. And finally the number one thing I feel like it’s my responsibility to do is to create a culture that’s really working with Warner Brothers and human resources so that people feel safe to report [misconduct].

What are you going to do personally? Beyond putting H.R. procedures in place, how can you make yourself more available so that people feel like they can come to you?

I didn’t realize the degree to which people I think I am [unapproachable]. You are interfacing with so many people all day long across all the shows, and people are sharing stuff with you and talking to you about this problem or that thing. So I really thought I was being communicative and open, but I didn’t realize the degree to which people felt like I was a person in a tower who was unapproachable in some way. And so that’s on me. I have to make more calls, set up more lunches, have more dinners, fly up more to Vancouver in particular. It’s on me to reach out more to them and to let them know that I’m here and I’m available. And that’s been happening. I’ve been getting a lot more calls. I’m getting more e-mails and calls and check-ins from people across the shows. I didn’t get into this business to have multiple shows. I got in this business because I love telling stories and I love working with people. And so I never want the fact that we have so much stuff going on to prohibit me from doing the things I love the most.

What have you learned from the experience?

I’ve learned a lot. I’ve learned that I never want to get away from being more directly involved as much as possible with the people that I’m working with and the shows that I’m working on. And to keep the lines of communication open. One thing I’ve learned is as approachable as you may think you are as a boss or as long as you may have worked with someone that it’s really scary for people to come in your office and report or talk about things that they’ve been going through that they thought were inappropriate. I want to work as hard as I can to reinforce my own values and to find ways that, even as the shows and our responsibilities broaden that people know who I am. And know what my values are and what I stand for and that everyone on any show that we’re affiliated with feels respected safe, inspired. And feels like their work is going to be judged on its merits and nothing else. That we’re doing everything we can to create a culture that is reflective of who we are as people and the kind of workplace that I would want to work in if I were a baby writer today. I’ve learned that you can think you’re doing those things and still you can be working harder to do those things. And that if you really feel that way, then that should be your number one priority.

Part of the problem has been the lack of women in leadership roles industry-wide. What efforts are you making for representation and parity in front of and behind the camera?

I’ve always said and I meant it and I said it before we were in the climate we’re in now that it’s just better business. It’s incredibly rewarding to give people opportunities, and probably the most rewarding part of the job is when you’re giving new people opportunities that wouldn’t typically have them. It makes the stories and the shows fresher and it challenges the shows creatively in ways they haven’t been challenged before. We’ve been working the last two or three years to get our director lists and writers rooms more balanced. We’re close, if not all, with all of the superhero shows are 50 percent either women or people of diversity. We haven’t spoken a lot about it because we’ve just been focused on doing it. But it’s always rewarding for me when I get calls from other showrunners about our lists so they can steal them away from us. It’s much more important for me now more than ever.

• Love 5

Unrounded preliminary numbers from RJK at SpottedRatings.com:

Supergirl ............................ 0.567 ... (0.588 ... 0.546)
Valor .................................. 0.216 ... (0.241 ... 0.192)

For comparison, the unrounded final rating for Supergirl 309 was 0.485.  If it holds, it will be a season high in both the demo and viewership (excluding the crossover).

23 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Cecille is taking a leave of absence to represent Barry. 

I can't imagine a single district attorney's office that would allow this. The Arrowverse shows desperately need a legal adviser.

• Love 12

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only way she could do that is if she resigned. Although it's kind of a nod to the comics, because Cecile Horton did defend Barry during the Trial of the Flash. 

57 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

I can't imagine a single district attorney's office that would allow this. The Arrowverse shows desperately need a legal adviser.

Remember... You can't be a West unless you sacrifice something in your life for Barry or forgive him instantly even though he majorly f*cks up. She just wants to feel like a part of the family! Who cares if this action destroys the integrity of the DAs office!

Edited by WindofChange
  • Love 7

Hey, they may not be good at the...what do you call it...law stuff, but at least Central City's DA's office has a lower turnover rate than Star City's. Cecile has to be the longest surviving DA in the Arrowverse's history.

• Love 7

So Cecile is taking a leave of absence from the DA's office to defend Barry against her own office? Not to mention the conflict of interest being she's dating his dad and having a kid with him.  I guess there is no Law when it comes to precious Barry. 

I'm glad I stopped watching the Flash, I couldn't stand an episode where everyone talks about how awesome Barry is. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

To the lawyers among us; from a real-world perspective, is this better or worse than Laurel prosecuting Moira in Arrow?  Or about the same?

Laurel at least stayed on the right side of her job, DA's prosecute, they are not defense lawyers. I know you can switch but I don't think you can go back and forth depending on the case. Barry can get legal advice from Cecile if she leaves her job, but legally he should have another lawyer. 

Edited by Sakura12
1 minute ago, Sakura12 said:

Laurel was at least on the right side of her job, DA's prosecute, they are not defense lawyers. 

Tell that to Oliver who briefly got all excited and happy when he thought Star City's DA was going to defend him.  The Mayor no, but the forensic guy down at the station, no problem!

I still can't believe how dumb Barry was in not quickly getting rid of the knife and scooting back to Joe's so he could have an alibi.  

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Cecille is taking a leave of absence to represent Barry. 

This is so stupid. LOL

Like wouldn't she just be kicked off the case altogether for potential conflict of interest all the way around?

After watching The Flash tonight, I came to the conclusion that the DA's office let Cecille defend Barry because they knew she sucks. She had no defense strategy other the revealing Barry as The Flash. I swear she was better than that when we've seen her as a prosecutor.

4 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

To the lawyers among us; from a real-world perspective, is this better or worse than Laurel prosecuting Moira in Arrow?  Or about the same?

A lot worse. Laurel prosecuting her ex-boyfriend's mother was a huge conflict of interest that would have required her recusal in the real world, but like Sakura12 said, at least she was operating in accordance with her job as an assistant DA.

If Cecile was prosecuting Barry, that would also be a huge conflict of interest requiring her recusal. But she's switching sides to defend him against her own office. It's completely unethical and contrary to the rules of professional responsibility. Plus, in the real world, it could never happen. She would have to resign as DA (not just take a leave of absence), and even if she did resign, the DA's office would easily get her disqualified as Barry's lawyer by arguing that she had access to prosecutorial strategy as a result of her position.

• Love 7

If anyone is interested, Cecile is a terrible lawyer. They could have called in any first year law student to handle this case it would have gone better. Hell, they could have resurrected Prometheus, and he could have given a better defense. In full on evil costume. 

Actually, other than the stupid ass trail, I thought it was a pretty good episode. But the trail stuff was...what even. 

• Love 5

I loved Black Lightning! I hope it does good ratings. What a strong pilot, I hope they keep this level of storytelling, and I hope they keep it separate. I don't ever want to see Jefferson playing second fiddle to Oliver and Barry.

• Love 4

Please, Flash, Arrow, and Legends would write him that way. Sure, BL writers would do him justice but the rest of the crossovers would treat him like they treat everyone else who's not Oliver or Barry. As much as I'd love to see some of my faves interact with this great cast, I'd prefer the Akils protect BL and keep him away.

But Berlanti is still at the helm of it all. I simply do not trust CW, Berlanti & company, to not do the same to Jefferson that they have done to Supergirl (and I don't even like that show). People said the same thing, that they'd treat the first female hero better but we've seen that's not the case.

• Love 1

I was pleasantly surprised by Black Lightning. Sure, they've borrowed Arrow's tricks of shooting in dark alleys (sigh) and relying on the local news for info dumps, and I don't like the younger daughter, but the rest was promising. The superhero coming out of retirement is something that the Arrowverse shows really haven't done before, and I gotta agree that this had much more of Arrow's first season "real world feeling."  And the ex-wife is great. 

And count me as another one who wants to keep this separate. The only one of the Arrowverse shows it even comes close to matching in tone is Arrow, and we all saw what happened to Arrow after it was forced to start being the launching/test pads of various superhero shows and then had to shift to existing in the same world as Flash. It's had some good episodes since, but it really has not been the same Arrow.  Let's not put Black Lightning through the same thing.

On another note, I was deeply cheered to note that a judge and jury agreed with me: Barry is the worst! Granted, that was also because his defense counsel was terrible, but I blame that on a part of her realizing that Barry is the worst and thus deserves the worst defense.  

• Love 10