Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Rookies vs. Vets

• Start Topic

40 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Candice's dress was literally to die for, I have never seen anything like it, wild and wonderful. Is that skin popping out there in the skirt....WOW.....Love her.  She should have won this episode. ?

Completely agree!  I thought it was gorgeous, and I don't even particularly like Candice. 

• Love 2

I love sooo many of these contestants.  I'm a big fan of Edmund's, although so many of us didn't like his dress.  I also LOVE Anthony (LOVE) and Stanley and Char were always cool too.  I know that Kelly (I think is her name) is a huge fan favourite.  Just a good cast all around.  Nothing negative to say about Melissa, either , and Love Fabio -- they come from one of my favourite casts.

The judges is where things get weird.  Yes, Michael Costello was bullied and Beyonce likes him but ----....?????  I was shocked to see him as a judge.  Beyonce should get a lot of credit for him being a PR success story.  Isaac?  Bleh!  I hate him!   Georgina?  I'm not going to blame her for her husband but COME ON - Hollywood stars were FORCED to wear Marchesa because of Harvey... I get that the scandal broke after this but it will just leave a horrible taste in my mouth.  And Alyssa --- I kind of regret knowing so much about her from social media. 

Now that I got THAT off my chest

The Good:

Amanda - the bell sleeves AND pants - it was so clean!
Char - A little overhyped, but so sexy - and I hate 70s
Merline - Good for her.  She is sweet and weird.
Kimberly - the detachable pants.  I've always liked her designs.

Helen - I actually liked hers!  It was so feminine and pretty.
Joshua - I kind of hated it because I'd never wear it and yet I kind of thought it was made impeccably.  LOL
Melissa - Can always be counted on for a good garment, except sometimes she can't deal with the time constraints!
Anthony - Again, love that turquoise colour and he can do no wrong for me.

The Bad:

Poor Edmond.  Can't believe he was in the top.  Huge letdown after the dramatic effect of both Candice's and Kimberley's.  I would not have had him close the show.
Ari - the JUDGES LIKED THIS?!?!?!?!!?!?  It was soooooooooooooooo typical, such a cliche!  I've seen a million dresses like this.  I guess the back was cool

Poor Casanova.  No idea they were pants.  LOL.  But the colour of them was divine!!!!!

Was not as knocked out by Fabio's as others were but it was a great idea to add the fringe.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Fiero425 said:

Michael Costello back in Season 8! So many were such catty b!tches, led by Wretchen and Ivy! His obvious success was the best revenge with him dressing the likes of Beyonce!

I smile every time I hear his name attached to something being worn by a big name celebrity.  He was treated terribly by some of his fellow contestants.  It's one thing if someone deserves it, but it didn't seem to be due to anything other than a "mean girl" situation.  

Amanda...why?  I hope we are spared all of her self-important insights during this season.  I thought she came off like she was auditioning to be co-mentor (if not outright replace Tim) when she competed the last time.  Not a fan of her designs either.  

Glad to see Kelly from the Deli though.  She was robbed of the win she deserved the last time she was on.  I like a lot things Candice produced before and she seems off to a good start here.  Happy to see her back as well. 

Merline seemed more subdued in this episode.  I remember thinking she could be a bit of a challenge to work near when she was on before with the singing and stuff.  Not as sold on her design in this episode as the judges were though.  

I thought Char was out of her depth last time and benefited big time from the Tim Gunn Save.   She's off to a good start here.  Hope she continues laying off the peplums though.  

Helen's annoying already.

Ken and Casanova deserved to be in the bottom.  Ken's was pretty bad, but those pants Casanova made were horrible.

• Love 8

When they brought out so many people from Season 14, I was like, Jesus God, if you are this hard up for contestants, just do Season 14 all over again! 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 6

I liked the spring collection better.  I did.

I don't like Helen.

I don't like Alyissa Milano and her love for Helen.

When I saw Anthony, I broke out into hand clapping, "Hercules, Hercules" only it was "An-Thony, An-Thony".  I'm so happy he's back! He's not the best designer, but he's just so snappy, cheerful, funny and sweet.

I hope he and Kelly from the Deli bond.  I think their personalities meshed together would be goofy and fun.

• Love 8
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:11 PM, GaT said:

I see they haven’t gotten Alyssa a new stylist yet, she always looks so bad, she looked like she was wearing a pumpkin costume on the runway.

I can’t give any credence to anything Georgina Chapman says, all I can think of is all the actresses that were forced to wear her crap gowns.

As soon as she walked on the runway that was my thought too!  I  have no credence for her as a judge!

I was pretty indifferent to the (then) beautiful) Georgina Chapman, but I thought she did bring some insight to this episode.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ichbin said:

Merline seemed more subdued in this episode.  I remember thinking she could be a bit of a challenge to work near when she was on before with the singing and stuff.  Not as sold on her design in this episode as the judges were though. 

After gritting my teeth through half a season of "CLAIRE? CLAIRE? I NEED YOU!" I think everyone seems more subdued in the workroom!

• Love 17

Shouldn't the show be called Project Runway Half Stars?

A lot of those clothes were miserable, and looking at them I couldn't tell whether they were Spring or Autumn.

Hated Casanova's because I find that style of trousers extremely unflattering and uncomfortable looking.  I'd constantly be yanking at the middle panel because it was giving me a frontal wedgie.

The yellow dress was hideous..

I wish they'd get a competent host.

I like the mentor - she's tough but seems to know what she's talking about, unlike Tim Gunn for example (I know he doesn't do All Stars).

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, TVbitch said:

When they brought out so many people from Season 14, I was like, Jesus God, if you are this hard up for contestants, just do Season 14 all over again! 

My take on that is : the undeserved winner of S14, lol ! Like a "redo" of what should have happened if Ashley was fired when she sould have been, if that makes sense :D

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 9
19 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

To call that dress olive green is a terrible insult to olives.  And a terrible flash back to the 70s, when muddy colors ruled

I'm thinking that may have close to the color my army colonel daddy would refer to (when looking at one of his uniforms) as 'shit-brindle green'.

• Love 5
On 1/5/2018 at 1:11 AM, GaT said:

I see they haven’t gotten Alyssa a new stylist yet, she always looks so bad, she looked like she was wearing a pumpkin costume on the runway.

somehow her dresses always seem to fall at an awkward place. Given her height (short) a wide skirt just above the knees just looks strange.

• Love 6

Alyssa really needs a stylist who likes her. And a hairdresser.

Amanda just gives me a gag reflex when she opens her mouth. And her designs are nothing. Just clothes.

Don’t know who half these folks are and have watched all the seasons pretty much.

I think I just like Anthony...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

somehow her dresses always seem to fall at an awkward place. Given her height (short) a wide skirt just above the knees just looks strange.

I think it really is the stylist because I've seen her in interviews and commercials recently where she looked really good.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

And the way they hit her waist make her look really thick.  I do like her new shorter hair a lot though.

I know this was filmed before the HW stuff, but just kept thinking how awkward it must be between her and Georgina since Alyssa was part of the whole #metoo movement.

• Love 5
On 1/5/2018 at 4:31 PM, vavera4ka said:

i wonder how the math worked. They took Helen out of bottom 3 because her look wasn’t that bad it was just one of the lower 3 totals. 

So that means that the rest of the scores were at least good. How low were the two lowest and how high were the poorly executed high ones to make fall team win? 

Mathematical calculation = producer manipulation.  Throw volatile Helen in the bottom the first challenge and cross your fingers for fireworks.   

I hated both Merline and Edmond's dresses. Candace was robbed.  

Amanda doesn't really bother me. I think she's a mediocre designer--there's always something about her looks that are off.  She was BFFs with Michelle in her first season and I think that's part of the reason she's so disliked.  I never hated either so she doesn't bother me all that much. Although...I'm counting the episodes until we get the Maroon 5 mention. :)

• Love 5

I don't remember Edmond, but I could not BELIEVE the love for Merline. It was SO badly put together, it looked like I did it. I guess we're in the world of "conceptual fashion" where the idea is more important that what the thing looks like.

• Love 6

The vets are so stale, and I really don't want to see their mostly ugly faces/beards again.  The new 'mentor' was off-putting, and I don't like Alyssa's new hair at all.  Will just watch the runway, and try not to overindulge the judges. But maybe I'll just forget this is on the air at all.

• Love 1
On 1/5/2018 at 1:11 AM, GaT said:

I can’t give any credence to anything Georgina Chapman says, all I can think of is all the actresses that were forced to wear her crap gowns.

I can’t believe I’m glad to see Ken again, I thought he was gone, because his look was worse than Casanova’s IMO.

I thought the Rookie’s collection was fantastic, much, much better than the Veteran’s. I liked every outfit in the fall collection, but the only outfit I liked from the spring collection was Ari’s.

I beg to differ, I thought Alyssa looked great on the runway - love the coral dress with blue shoes, and really loved her hair.

Also, Marchesa makes some stunning gowns.

Agree though that the fall collection deserved the win and Ari's dress from the spring collection was lovely. My two favorite looks from the winners were Kelly's and Candace's. And I love a platform shoe, and those yellow ones Kelly and Kimberly used had me swooning!

• Love 3
On 1/5/2018 at 11:35 AM, frogzapper said:

Totally agree. I can't believe that fugly pukey olive green dress was one of the top looks! The darts at the breast area looked crazy bad and with those awful shoulder pads they made the model look totally lopsided. I hated the yellow dress with the stupid inner sleeve cutouts too.

as soon as they showed a close up I noticed that the darts were in the wrong place.   The darts looked like they were flattening the model's boobs instead of enhancing.  And the color! yeesh!  it was hideous!  What were the judges seeing that I wasn't?

So glad to see Michael Costello doing so well.  I always liked him on his season and when he was on all stars.  I remember when Mondo was a major dick to him and finally turned his attitude around when they were teamed up together.  I do love that he's been so successful.  I have no desire to see how Wretchen is doing.

• Love 10
On 1/4/2018 at 8:56 PM, scarlettudor said:

I'm curious about the designer whose name is spelled 'Art' but it's being pronounced as 'Ari.'  I hate to even ask, but what is wrong with her skin?  Is there an official name for it. 

I think because she is transitioning, it may have to do with hormones. Hopefully when her hormones “settle down”, her face will clear up some.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, ArmoPrincess said:

Who made the brown crop top with the fabulous, long, flowy multi-colored skirt? I loved that and was sure it would be top three, along with the roll-disco jumpsuit.
Didn’t like Justin’s look, but watched this show enough to know they’ll keep him for the fireworks.

Candice made the flowy skirt ( winner in my opinion), Kelly made the jumpsuit (loved it, shd have been in top 3), and I think the fireworks-guy’s name is Joshua.

• Love 6

I liked the fall collection best. I felt it was a true collection. Then when they had the "Top Three" out for discussion I was completely lost looking at it wondering if I had heard it wrong that fall had won. That olive dress made a football uniform proud with those horridly made shoulder pads, and WHY did he bother with bust darts? The shoulder pads stuck out so far, and his model was so tiny up top that darts were not needed. It just made it all the more tragic. The mustard monstrosity that won? Holy bejeezus, I guess we are back to not caring about construction AT ALL. Oh wait, they did comment on Ken's back panels not lining up (as an intermediate seamstress I do understand this is not easy, but come on people who are trying to make a living at this stuff!), but Merline won with that?

And Orange Josh! I cringed when I saw him, and when he was told to disco ball it up. But I actually did like his dress. He's learned to edit, I hope. The spring collection did not look like spring or Miami or a collection, for that matter. Josh's fuchsia and Ari's blue was as close to spring as I saw.

• Love 4
On 1/5/2018 at 2:40 AM, meowmommy said:

And Anne is a huge improvement over Zanna Babbleface.  Much more like Joanna Coles when she was mentoring.  Tough but useful.

Wish I could agree, but I found her almost as boring as Zanna. She also needs to stand up straight, especially if she is going to wear shoes as fierce as the ones she had on. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Wish I could agree, but I found her almost as boring as Zanna. She also needs to stand up straight, especially if she is going to wear shoes as fierce as the ones she had on. 

I don't find Anne boring, but my problem with Zanna was not that she was boring, but that she was banal.  Her advice to the sewtestants was usually along the lines of, "make sure you create something that will win."  Also, Zanna dressed like Big Bird on steroids, in a blender.

• Love 13

I was totally in love with Char's dress - I want to own it. And Char herself seems to be evolving - she seems more mature and attractive. 

Just as I'm complaining about the designers getting third chances, in walks Fabio (for the third time) and I take it all back because I freaking love that man. At least this time we know he won't lose to Dmitri. 

I also loved Candice's, Kelly's (great to see "Kelly from the Deli" again!) and liked the two-tone blue used by the veterans.

Casanova is a lovely man but I agree that he's never been the best designer.

Helen - blonde doesn't really suit you and neither does sulky snarking (or is it snarky sulking?)

Ken's anger management treatment really did take root - he's still the Ken who did NOT throw away his second shot with hissy fits and histrionics. He and Anthony are still funny as hell, and could take an act on the road, a la Santino and Austin Scarlett!

Alyssa Milano, FIRE YOUR STYLIST NOW! (I'm just trying to look after you).

My love for Michael Costello continues to grow, as does his success. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a judge again. 

I refuse to blame Georgina Chapman for the fact that she married a man who was finally exposed as a horrendous human being. And I've always liked Marchesa's aesthetic. Since this was filmed before the Weinstein revelations, I hope the show doesn't fire her in some sort of guilt by association nonsense.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, TudorQueen said:

Alyssa Milano, FIRE YOUR STYLIST NOW! 

I refuse to blame Georgina Chapman for the fact that she married a man who was finally exposed as a horrendous human being. And I've always liked Marchesa's aesthetic. Since this was filmed before the Weinstein revelations, I hope the show doesn't fire her in some sort of guilt by association nonsense.

Alyssa Milano always dresses like crap. 

I agree about Georgina Chapman .  How many of us have realized that we were or had been involved with jerks or worse.  Does that make us culpable?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, TudorQueen said:

Ken's anger management treatment really did take root - he's still the Ken who did NOT throw away his second shot with hissy fits and histrionics. He and Anthony are still funny as hell, and could take an act on the road, a la Santino and Austin Scarlett!

That would be AWESOME!

They could also take Dmitri sometimes for his deadpan one-liners

Actually, now that I think about it, I think Anthony and Dmitri should go on the road together. No need for Ken

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, TudorQueen said:

I completely agree. Slime-balls are really good at hiding their evilness. Georgina probably had no idea what was going on, and is horrified. She shouldn’t have to hide away in shame. Some men are really good at hiding things. (Ask me how I know.)

• Love 6

Anthony is sooo fun! I love the way his mind works. He's very witty, but not at the expense of others. 

But I do NOT want them to show us him eating ever again. 

I am a little surprised that Ari didn't change her name to Andie.

Could someone remind me? Who else besides Ari and Casanova used the stencil cutout effect? Thanks!

On 04/01/2018 at 7:03 PM, Suzysite said:

This show isn't fun.  I have not missed a season to date, but this might be my first.  I'll give it one more episode to see.

Same. Even though there are designers I root for like Fabio and Ari South, I can't get past the unpalatable package of the show: beginning with a fashion victim who has no business hosting anything but a kindergarten class, followed by a trophy wife whose "luxury brand" was built through seedy coercion, and lastly Isaac Mizrahi who I can enjoy at times but not nearly enough to negate the former.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 4

Alyssa Milano, FIRE YOUR STYLIST NOW! 

Probably the stylist is sleeping with Alyssa's husband, who is Bradley Cooper's agent.  It's not like Alyssa isn't used to being around well-dressed Hollywood women with better stylists.  

• Love 2

I loved Char's dress, but it still wouldn't have been in my top 3. There's no way that Edmond and Merline's designs should've been in the top 3.  Merline's dress was sloppy and it looked liked one of teh sleeves was supposed to be attached and wasn't.  The other one looked like it had a couple of small stitches attaching it to the dress.  Awful.  Awful.  Awful.  No freaking way was that a winning design.  I know this isn't Project Seamstress, but there are plenty of contestants who come on the show who have ideas and are able to execute them beautifully.  I feel like Merline gets a pass for being quirky and that is so infuriating.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GraceTX said:

Merline's dress was sloppy and it looked liked one of teh sleeves was supposed to be attached and wasn't.

I felt the same way. It looked as if she didn't have time to finish making the dress. I appreciate her aesthetic, but this dress didn't wow me.

• Love 2

My favorite part of the episode was the faces Ken was making at his own garment as it came down the runway. Hilarious. 

Re: Casanova's design, I really thought they were going to ding it for taste level. The color of the pants was beautiful, but I think even Heidi would raise a brow at an outfit that's cut down to the navel and up to the hips. 

And aside from all of the construction issues with Merline's dress, mustard yellow is flattering on very few people, and her model was not among them. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

My favorite part of the episode was the faces Ken was making at his own garment as it came down the runway. Hilarious. 

Since I no longer trust what I see, I wonder if that part was a result of creative editing:  Yes, Ken made faces.  But was he making faces at his own garment, or was he reacting to someone else's?  How to turn something from a snark to a lark. 

• Love 1
On 2018-01-08 at 1:29 PM, GraceTX said:

I loved Char's dress, but it still wouldn't have been in my top 3. There's no way that Edmond and Merline's designs should've been in the top 3.  Merline's dress was sloppy and it looked liked one of teh sleeves was supposed to be attached and wasn't.  The other one looked like it had a couple of small stitches attaching it to the dress.  Awful.  Awful.  Awful.  No freaking way was that a winning design.  I know this isn't Project Seamstress, but there are plenty of contestants who come on the show who have ideas and are able to execute them beautifully.  I feel like Merline gets a pass for being quirky and that is so infuriating.

Agreed. My personal Top 3 was Candice, Stanley and Amanda. Coming in 4th would have been Kimberly. So basically my personal bottom 3 on the Fall/Rookie team ended up being the top? I hope that isn't a harbinger for the rest of the season. 

On 1/7/2018 at 11:17 PM, slothgirl said:

That would be AWESOME!

They could also take Dmitri sometimes for his deadpan one-liners

Actually, now that I think about it, I think Anthony and Dmitri should go on the road together. No need for Ken

I always loved Dimitri. He was hilarious. He won twice, didn't he? His own season and then an All-Stars. I hope his business is going well. One of his best comments, other than the infamous "one-way monkey" was when he said "Some of the designers don't like Nina. You know who don't like Nina? People who suck." I think of that whenever the designers complain about how hard Nina is as a judge.  I also loved it that he and Elena would get into it in Russian, make rude comments about each other and then claim it was just the Russian way. LOL

• Love 6

Something that bothered me was Georgina's use of the word "schizophrenic" to describe an outfit (I can't remember whose it was). Anne Fulenwider used the term also in a flashback they showed of her judging Ken. I know many people use this term to describe contradictory things that are put together, but I still find it offensive and inaccurate. There are many ways they could express their thoughts without using the name of a serious mental health disorder that they clearly don't understand.

Edited by Jsage
  • Love 8

Stanley's white outfit was to die for. I loved it so much. I don't remember him at all though!

So happy to see Kelly and Fabio. So emphatically not happy to see that asshole Orange Josh and his eyebrows. Helen, it goes without saying, needs to go yesterday.

• Love 1

I just found out this was on last night as it was ending. Was totally not aware it was starting.

I looooved Char's dress so much. Beautiful colour and design.

I LOVED SEEING MICHAEL COSTELLO. He was ganged up on in his season so much, and I love that he's so successful. Everyone from his season can suck it!

• Love 1
On 1/5/2018 at 0:34 PM, cpcathy said:

Maroon 5. How many times this season are we to hear that fact?

I love Michael! If I'm remembering correctly, he could churn out two dresses in the allotted time. Now he's designed gowns for Beyoncé, good for him. He was practically bullied on his season.

No, he was bullied on his season. Michael and Christian Seriano are my favorites.

• Love 2
On 1/12/2018 at 5:52 PM, threebluestars said:

I LOVED SEEING MICHAEL COSTELLO. He was ganged up on in his season so much, and I love that he's so successful. Everyone from his season can suck it!

Me too.  And if I remember correctly, the judges weren't very respectful to him either... that's what made the other contestants think they could push him around.  But he's had the last laugh!

• Love 4