Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

I don’t recall the details, but I don’t think it was as much an illegal tabloid wiretap but more that someone with a scanner catching it and selling it to the tabs.

The thing about the BRF is that no matter the bad press, they just soldier on, doing their events, cutting ribbons, unveiling plaques, whatever.

Along those lines, Camilla is patron of an organization training medical detection dogs. Apparently these dogs have better than a 90% success rate in detecting COVID-19. Cheaper and faster than rapid tests.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPQS82xA19Y/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

What a great organization. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 3

I like that shade of blue Kate is wearing, but between this ensemble and the red plaid dress she wore last week, the Diana cosplay is too much.  These modern interpretations of late 80s fashion just do not work.  I'm curious to whom is pushing Kate to dress like her late mother-in-law.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I like that shade of blue Kate is wearing, but between this ensemble and the red plaid dress she wore last week, the Diana cosplay is too much.  These modern interpretations of late 80s fashion just do not work.  I'm curious to whom is pushing Kate to dress like her late mother-in-law.  

I don’t think these are Diana looks at all, but rather a new take on Kate’s prairie dress phase. I despise Kate’s prairie dresses. I actually have been wondering if she’s got a knee brace or wearing tape on one of her knees and has been going with the longer skirts to hide it. That’s pure speculation on my part. 

I think it’s unfortunate that everything a royal married in wears is somehow always compared to Diana in the press. 

• Like 9

I like the color and the skirt, but I don't like the jacket/top.  Its too boxy IMO.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don;t know if anyone is pushing her but the midi-length dresses and skirts and the dropped waists are very "in" right now. 

Kate also goes in phases in her fashion. She decides she likes one look and beats it to death. A few summers ago it was the prairie print dresses.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I don;t know if anyone is pushing her but the midi-length dresses and skirts and the dropped waists are very "in" right now. 

Kate also goes in phases in her fashion. She decides she likes one look and beats it to death. A few summers ago it was the prairie print dresses.

It's the boxyness of the blazer paired with the midi-skirt that reads 80s to me.  Pair the blazer with a skinny pant, and it would look trendy and great.  I know boxy blazers are in right now, and at least Kate is not wearing it with bike shorts and a tube top like some other celebrities.  

There is also nothing wrong with that skirt and it's length.  I just don't like it with the blazer.  A simple black turtleneck with it or a boatneck top, or a basic tank all would look wonderful with it.  

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Perhaps Charles's affair, sure, but wasn't tampongate the result of the tabloids illegally tapping phones or something like that?

I think so. According to this Esquire article some skeevy “radio enthusiast” used “scanning” (whatever that is) to obtain the entire audio of the conversation. 

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a34736481/tampongate-scandal-the-crown/

Regarding Kate’s outfit, I absolutely love the color, but the design looks like something that was being worn in the late 80s and early to mid 90s. Perhaps that style is making a comeback? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It's the boxyness of the blazer paired with the midi-skirt that reads 80s to me.  Pair the blazer with a skinny pant, and it would look trendy and great.  I know boxy blazers are in right now, and at least Kate is not wearing it with bike shorts and a tube top like some other celebrities.  

There is also nothing wrong with that skirt and it's length.  I just don't like it with the blazer.  A simple black turtleneck with it or a boatneck top, or a basic tank all would look wonderful with it.  

True. Kate's skirt does sort of look like this:

princess-diana-lady-sarah-purple-1585081

39a80434afeac894d978d1b6647c87c2.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Enero said:

I think so. According to this Esquire article some skeevy “radio enthusiast” used “scanning” (whatever that is) to obtain the entire audio of the conversation. 

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a34736481/tampongate-scandal-the-crown/

Regarding Kate’s outfit, I absolutely love the color, but the design looks like something that was being worn in the late 80s and early to mid 90s. Perhaps that style is making a comeback? 

Fashion is cyclical. High-waisted pants are coming back. *shudder*

The shoes she's wearing are totally wrong for the outfit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPQ6T4bHJgB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Long jackets with pleated skirts were around before Diana.

2MMDusKxa9Dx.jpg

original

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't think it was an illegal tap, but either Charles or Camilla was personally recording their phone calls and the tapes were stolen.  For some reason I think it was Camilla who was taping them, but I cannot find a source to confirm.  

I've never understood the stupidity it must take to record something (either audio or video) that you don't want anyone else to see or hear and be careless enough to leave the recording somewhere it can be swiped. 

3 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I've never understood the stupidity it must take to record something (either audio or video) that you don't want anyone else to see or hear and be careless enough to leave the recording somewhere it can be swiped. 

People who do that are idiots. But that wasn't how tampongate happened.

• Like 6

Always fun to hear kinky sex talk delivered in a posh English accent.

• Laugh 11

19 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Always fun to hear kinky sex talk delivered in a posh English accent.

Like Charles Dance reading 50 Shades ;)

Oh look, here's CPV getting eaten alive by a giant coat and having a scarf try to steal her earring. Royals, just like us!

Kate must have known the apron's would be orange and that's why she chose that shade of blue.

I am ready to get back to more royal tours and fashion.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Perhaps Charles's affair, sure, but wasn't tampongate the result of the tabloids illegally tapping phones or something like that?

Well if Charles hadn't made the comment about wanting to be Camilla's tampon (among other BSC comments during their affair), there would have been nothing for the tabloids to report on in that regard aka Tampongate. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Well if Charles hadn't made the comment about wanting to be Camilla's tampon (among other BSC comments during their affair), there would have been nothing for the tabloids to report on in that regard aka Tampongate. 

Isn’t that kind of blaming the victim? Even though he was cheating, which was not right, and no matter what he and Camilla said, it’s still a violation of their privacy to tap into and share their private conversation.

• Like 21
  • Useful 2

4 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

People in love are horny and they say stupid, stupid things. I may think Charles is gross, but that doesn't mean I think he should never, ever get to talk dirty with the woman he loves. I'm certain W&K, H&M, E&S and even Anne and Tim have engaged in some naughty talk. I'm not going to judge Charles for having the kink. I don't judge anyone for having a kink that doesn't harm others. (Okay, that's a lie, I totally judge that guy in Wisconsin who likes to fuck the deer carcasses.)

Society has come a long way from judging people based on their sexuality, sexual identity and kinks. Charles gets that same pass from me. Judging him for engaging in an affair is a totally different thing.

In other news, Kate is appears to be a terrible musician.

• Like 9

I was responding to the tabloids being responsible for Tampongate. They didn't make the comments up. And my judgment of Charles and Camilla has little to do with the actual content of the comments, but the fact that they were cheating. I abhor infidelity and everything to do with it and so I'm not going to have any sympathy for the flak they got when Tampongate broke. 

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

• Like 8

I can’t believe I am even wading into this, but Charles’s tampon comment was self-deprecating.  He did not want to be one.  And now I have to go take a shower.  

I hope the people who hate him for cheating hate Diana as well for the same reason.

• Like 17
  • Useful 1

1 minute ago, CountryGirl said:

I was responding to the tabloids being responsible for Tampongate. They didn't make the comments up. And my judgment of Charles and Camilla has little to do with the actual content of the comments, but the fact that they were cheating. I abhor infidelity and everything to do with it and so I'm not going to have any sympathy for the flak they got when Tampongate broke. 

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Infidelity is wrong. But I don't think it's a death penalty offense. Diana doesn't get judged as harshly for her infidelity as Charles does, and if we are saying all infidelity is wrong and should be judged harshly and forever, then just because he did it first doesn't excuse hers.

My thought it, they cheated over thirty years ago. They've been pilloried in the press, Charles, Diana, Camilla, James Hewitt, all of them. I can't hold on to that kind of hate forever. 

• Like 15

FTR, I hated that Diana cheated (not so much because of Charles as their's was never a marriage given he wasn't faithful to her for so much as one day of their married lives as emotional cheating is still cheating). But that was wrong for her to do that with married men.

And I don't *hate* Charles (I don't even know him LOL) but I will always despise cheating.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

FTR, I hated that Diana cheated (not so much because of Charles as their's was never a marriage given he wasn't faithful to her for so much as one day of their married lives as emotional cheating is still cheating). But that was wrong for her to do that with married men.

And I don't *hate* Charles (I don't even know him LOL) but I will always despise cheating.

Charles was almost forced into a marriage with an immature teenager with mental health issues because his family sucks and she was likely the only suitable virgin they could find. The whole thing was a recipe for disaster. I'm shocked it lasted as long as it did. 

Because Charles has a face like a baboon's backside and he lacks charm, he doesn't get a lot of breaks from anyone. But he's an old guy now. He made terrible, terrible mistakes. He's paid for them. Same with Camilla. My exhusband made mistakes with women. I don't carry any anger about it anymore. I don't think infidelity is acceptable, or okay, or admirable, but I think in many cases it's understandable and after thirty years, I'm willing to let it go. 

• Like 18

11 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Charles was almost forced into a marriage with an immature teenager with mental health issues because his family sucks and she was likely the only suitable virgin they could find. The whole thing was a recipe for disaster. I'm shocked it lasted as long as it did. 

Because Charles has a face like a baboon's backside and he lacks charm, he doesn't get a lot of breaks from anyone. But he's an old guy now. He made terrible, terrible mistakes. He's paid for them. Same with Camilla. My exhusband made mistakes with women. I don't carry any anger about it anymore. I don't think infidelity is acceptable, or okay, or admirable, but I think in many cases it's understandable and after thirty years, I'm willing to let it go. 

Exactly.  And probably why they didn't bother being so strict with William.  At least I don't think they were.  

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

People in love are horny and they say stupid, stupid things. I may think Charles is gross, but that doesn't mean I think he should never, ever get to talk dirty with the woman he loves. I'm certain W&K, H&M, E&S and even Anne and Tim have engaged in some naughty talk. I'm not going to judge Charles for having the kink. I don't judge anyone for having a kink that doesn't harm others. (Okay, that's a lie, I totally judge that guy in Wisconsin who likes to fuck the deer carcasses.)

Society has come a long way from judging people based on their sexuality, sexual identity and kinks. Charles gets that same pass from me. Judging him for engaging in an affair is a totally different thing.

LOL I'm glad Kate has a sense of humor. I wish she'd show that side more. My  favorite Kate moment was when she was dragging a bunch of Christmas trees to some unimpressed kids and pleading "What about this one? Does anyone like this one?" I'm a teacher, I get it when kids are not impressed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5pzVsrl0ZP/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=ba2c2655-28f2-44b0-bd2f-47974fc9a076

Anyway, with Charles and Diana cheating ... I don't condone cheating. But these two people had NOTHING in common other than some blue blood aristocracy lines. Neither had the toolbox to cope with challenges in an adult, mature manner. So it was predictable that their marriage ended up with both parties cheating.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 12

5 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

When it comes to Charles and Diana, I think Liz and Phil were figuring it would be an aristocratic marriage of old. They’d make an heir and a spare and then live happily separate lives, appearing together when they needed to and conducting their own full slate of royal engagements. I don’t think Charles or his parents understood just how Diana struggled with her mental health issues, and he was so emotionally stunted by his upbringing that he was incapable of offering any sort of help. Their marriage was like the Titanic once it scraped that iceberg - doomed to disaster. 

Liz and Phil really didn't have an understanding of how press coverage would change. They went from a time when cameras were expensive and photographs were infrequent to walls of photographers at events, on the streets, etc. The British press also stepped back from being respectful of the royals personal lives. Tabloids flourished on trashy gossip. 

• Like 9

Understanding all of this, I'm not sure I fully understand the complaints of Harry shedding more light on the absurdity that is the royal way--we only know these things about Chas/Diana/Camilla, because of inappropriate leaks/hacks/whatnot  More sunlight seems better to save future generations (his nieces/nephews), rather than castigating the messenger, shouldn't we be wanting the institution to change for the better? Or, better yet, shut the institution down?

Edited by pennben
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, irisheyes said:

When it comes to Charles and Diana, I think Liz and Phil were figuring it would be an aristocratic marriage of old. They’d make an heir and a spare and then live happily separate lives, appearing together when they needed to and conducting their own full slate of royal engagements. I don’t think Charles or his parents understood just how Diana struggled with her mental health issues, and he was so emotionally stunted by his upbringing that he was incapable of offering any sort of help. Their marriage was like the Titanic once it scraped that iceberg - doomed to disaster. 

Yes, its amazing how many people failed to notice what a disaster it was going to be. They didn't know each other, had nothing in common, and Diana was 19.   

• Like 12

2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Charles and Camille can be into whatever kinky thing they wants. I just wish I had never heard of the tampon story. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, pennben said:

Understanding all of this, I'm not sure I fully understand the complaints of Harry shedding more light on the absurdity that is the royal way--we only know these things about Chas/Diana/Camilla, because of inappropriate leaks/hacks/whatnot  More sunlight seems better to save future generations (his nieces/nephews), rather than castigating the messenger, shouldn't we be wanting the institution to change for the better? Or, better yet, shut the institution down?

I really don’t get how knowing Chaz and Camz enjoy the dirty is a good thing for family, nor how it relates to shedding light on the absurdity of the monarchy. I mean, I once found something I’d like to burn from my brain related to my parents’ sex life. It did not one good thing for family relationships, family harmony or revealing negative interactions of the JamFam.

There are valid reasons for wanting to eliminate the British monarchy, just how there are valid reasons for wanting to keep it. If it goes away, there will be a serious lack of tiara events and that’s a big negative for me. GIVE ME ALL THE JEWELS!!

I need to see the Burmese Ruby out and about.

hbz-royal-jewels-queen-elizabeth-gettyim

• Like 14

1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Yes, its amazing how many people failed to notice what a disaster it was going to be. They didn't know each other, had nothing in common, and Diana was 19.   

I think Chuck and Di did know it wasn't right. Both of them got cold feet but were told it was too late to backtrack. I also think Charles didn;t expect that Diana could be so, well, difficult. People who got to know Diana often said that behind the shy smile and warmth and empathy (which was genuine) was also a very difficult, stubborn person. I think Charles just assumed she'd be a sweet, naive girl.

• Like 14

Doesn’t this just amount to putting the pretty tiaras on display, as well as the fantastic gowns as opposed to fucking up lives through generations, mostly when they’ve not been allowed to talk back, just to see the pretty things from accumulated wealth of questionable means?

• Useful 1

9 minutes ago, pennben said:

Doesn’t this just amount to putting the pretty tiaras on display, as well as the fantastic gowns as opposed to fucking up lives through generations, mostly when they’ve not been allowed to talk back, just to see the pretty things from accumulated wealth of questionable means?

Well, I was just having fun with my answer, but William and Kate seem just fine, as do many, many other royals. The Chuck/Di situation was more of an aberration in the last few generations of royal marriages. Liz and Phil seemed very happy together, as did her parents, Elizabeth and Bertie. 

The BRF seems to have pretty much the same amount of unhappiness, divorce, bad behavior, etc as most other families. Their drama just gets more publicized. 

• Like 17

I also think Charles and Diana would have had difficult marriages even if they didn't marry each other. Mentally healthy people have healthy relationships. Both Charles and Diana were insecure, damaged people. It was basically a trainwreck waiting to happen.

• Like 17

Absolutely. Still begs question of how Harry speaking out threatens downfall of family. He’s no better, no worse than any in his family & all the nonsense, but who boy, he & Meghan are BIG threats!  Or not, perhaps they are the distractions a dying monarchy are looking for. All so stupid.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, pennben said:

Absolutely. Still begs question of how Harry speaking out threatens downfall of family. He’s no better, no worse than any in his family & all the nonsense, but who boy, he & Meghan are BIG threats!  Or not, perhaps they are the distractions a dying monarchy are looking for. All so stupid.

I THINK it's because everyone thought that the BRF had cleaned itself up after all the 90s drama with Fergie and Charles and Diana. 

But 25 years later, nope, same shit. Family feuds. Media tell-all interviews. Now with a side of Prince Andrew-child-molestation! 

• Like 8

Right?  The worst sin is speaking out versus absorbing the nonsense to keep the myth alive!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, pennben said:

I think this presumes Harry giving interviews would lead to abolishing the monarchy. Or is this the same “downfall of the family” as when someone wears the wrong hat to an event?

As with any family, they may be feuding right now, but there is no credible movement to abolish the monarchy. The working royals are still going out, cutting ribbons, unveiling plaques and being very well received. UK polling has Camilla more popular than H&M right now. 

• Like 5

So, why is him speaking out such a problem?  If he’s not important, he should be easily brushed aside. Why bother? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pennben said:

So, why is him speaking out such a problem?  If he’s not important, he should be easily brushed aside. Why bother? 

Who is saying that it is?

Airing dirty laundry is always going to piss of family members. It would certainly piss off mine even if it didn’t harm any of them financially, or in their careers. They would be angry at me for making private interactions public.

There is a difference between the British tabloids finding Harry’s actions tacky and the British tabloids thinking Harry’s actions are going to damage the monarchy.

Also, the British tabloids have always been full of click bait nonsense. Their goal is to generate clicks and make money. If they can make money running trashy stories, they will. 

As far as how the BRF is reacting to him, they haven’t other than the Queen’s statement about keeping things private and Wills answering one question on the fly. That’s been over a month and since then, they’ve been dealing with Phil’s passing.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I also think Charles and Diana would have had difficult marriages even if they didn't marry each other. Mentally healthy people have healthy relationships. Both Charles and Diana were insecure, damaged people. It was basically a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Very true. Prince Charles was only forced into the marriage because he was in his 30’s and didn’t seem to give a shit about finding someone to marry. Which would be fine but he also wasn’t willing to buck the expectations put on him and forge his own path. 
Instead he took the path of least resistance and everyone ended up being miserable. 

Much is made about Camilla not being suitable because she wasn’t a virgin but that ignores that fact that she chose to marry someone else. It was never really a choice between Diana and Camilla. 

3 hours ago, pennben said:

The whole thing is so complex and has too many players that it can’t be boiled down to one conclusion. I don’t have a problem with Harry speaking out but I also really doubt that it is going to save his nieces and nephews. If anything it has the indirect result of putting them under a harsher spotlight. The things Harry is saying is both a condemnation of and fuel for the tabloid press. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 9

Eh, I like the new route they are taking...they may be destroyed by it, but they aren’t going to be destroyed by the old way. Godspeed!  Why the hell not? 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, pennben said:

Eh, I like the new route they are taking...they may be destroyed by it, but they aren’t going to be destroyed by the old way. Godspeed!  Why the hell not? 

I’m confused. Who is they?

• Like 2

It is neither the one who wanted to be the tampon, who will be King, nor the one who will be his consort, to whom he wanted to be inserted!!!😀

28 minutes ago, Dani said:

Very true. Prince Charles was only forced into the marriage because he was nearly 40 and didn’t seem to give be a shit about finding someone to marry.

He was actually 32 when he married Diana, but he was going to be 40 someday.

image.png.8a88ce66ca31cbd933bccdfc843e918c.png

• Laugh 15

Maxima in some great jewels and a wacky hat.

I want to say she’s making that work, but she’s really not...

• Like 6
  • Laugh 7

Just looking at this old interview of Charles and Diana. Their body language was never particularly warm. And whose idea was it to send them on a tour when they didn't even like each other?

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, lurkerbee said:

He was actually 32 when he married Diana, but he was going to be 40 someday.

image.png.8a88ce66ca31cbd933bccdfc843e918c.png

Crap. I knew that was wrong. 

• Like 2

I’m not doing a deep dive into all his interviews so what I know is just the headlines and sound bites and quick perusals of articles or watching a small part of his Oprah interview.  The impression I have gotten so far is Harry was done talking about the BRF after Oprah but is still talking about them.  Then he maybe told Dax he understands his parents simply passed down the pain they carried because they didn’t know better, but later he blames his father anyway.  And did he say something about if you have suffered your job as a parent is to not let your child suffer?  Because I disagree with that.  

If I am the average viewer, then I think his message is getting garbled, which he should have expected.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

And did he say something about if you have suffered your job as a parent is to not let your child suffer?  Because I disagree with that.  

No. He did say that you should everything in your power to make sure your kids don’t suffer from the same negative experiences you did. 

“Isn’t this all about breaking the cycle?” Prince Harry continued. “Isn’t it all about making sure that history doesn’t repeat itself? That whatever pain and suffering has happened to you that you don’t pass on?” 

7 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

If I am the average viewer, then I think his message is getting garbled, which he should have expected.

The garbled message is really the result of everything he says being scoured for anything that has to do with the royal family. I haven’t watched the series yet but if it’s anything like the podcast they are taking tiny parts out of everything that he says and turning it into the whole story. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 2

OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.