Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

16 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Is that an old article or did the reporter not know the difference between UK and US Mother’s Day? It sounds like they are talking about May 9th but describe Williams post from March as earlier in the day. 

ETA: It’s from March but they reposted it to look new for Mother’s Day in the US. I really hate clickbait. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Domenicholas said:

Veronica- self-explanatory 

Michelle- After Michelle Obama, and Meghan’s watch that she’s going to give to her would mean from Meghan Markle to Michelle Mountbatten-Windsor

Margaret or Margery- also M names that reference both Harry’s great-aunt and Meghan, which is derived from Margaret.

Luna or Selena- also self explanatory 

Britney, Elenor, Simone, or Dorothy- because Meghan’s maternal grandparents are Alvin and Jeanette.

Maybe it's because I don't really know much about Meghan (or Harry, really), but I don't get any of these? Care to explain? 🤷‍♀️

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dani said:

Plenty of people will unrealistically expect exactly that. 

And every time she wore something that even remotely resembles something Diana wore ("Diane Diana wears a dress! Just like her grandmother did!) every tabloid will do a story. 

Edited by GaT
  • Like 7
  • Sad 2

I think speculating on names is hopeless because they went with Archie for their son.   They CLEARLY are not into the honoring past relatives in naming.   So ANY speculation along those lines is probably wrong.   They are going to pick a name they like.   Since none of us know them well we have no idea what name they will like.  

• Like 23

10 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:
11 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

They could name her Frances. That's Diana's middle name. 

Too old fashioned, IMO.

Well, they went pretty old fashioned (and quite pedestrian, IMO) with Archie, so why not old fashioned with their daughter?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GaT said:

And every time she wore something that even remotely resembles something Diana wore ("Diane Diana wears a dress! Just like her grandmother did!) every tabloid will do a story. 

Kate and Meghan still get comparisons to Diana. "Oh Meghan wore Diana's watch!" and "Kate wears pearl necklace in honor of Diana!" It's ridiculous.

Frances is a lovely name. Frannie and Archie works. (I am also one who does not like nicknames as the legal name. I despise Archibald though. They could have gone with Arthur and called him Archie, but...eh.)

I hope they go with something completely surprising and not to honor relatives, dead or alive.

In other royal news...

Sophie out and about looking fantastic.

E1MYAW-X0AAzA19?format=jpg&name=large

Maxima out for her 50th birthday.

I think that's an Iris van Herpen dress and  it needs to lay a little smoother. I also think the lining doesn't really work. 

You do need to be ridiculously tall and willing to go sheer to really make van Herpen work. Exhibit A, Gwendoline Christie. 

gettyimages-1173130944.jpg?resize=980:*

For Maxima's 50th birthday, she's getting her own Vogue cover!

E1IJAttWYAIphbu?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by BlackberryJam · Reason: Link
  • Like 15

15 hours ago, Domenicholas said:

Luna or Selena- also self explanatory

Britney, Elenor, Simone, or Dorothy- because Meghan’s maternal grandparents are Alvin and Jeanette.

I don't get any of those. The only possible connection I can make is Alvin and Simon because of the chipmunks. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

57 minutes ago, Callietwo said:

Well, they went pretty old fashioned (and quite pedestrian, IMO) with Archie, so why not old fashioned with their daughter?

Personally, I don’t consider Archie to be old fashioned. In my mind old fashioned names are ones where you hear it and expect the person to be a senior citizen. Archie has the complete opposite problem and feels perpetually young like I hear it an expect the person to be a toddler. 

1 minute ago, bijoux said:

I don't get any of those. The only possible connection I can make is Alvin and Simon because of the chipmunks. 

I think your right. Dorothy for Theodore and Jeanette, Elenor and Britney are the name of the Chipettes.
It’s the apparently self-explanatory ones like Veronica I did not get. 

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

Personally, I don’t consider Archie to be old fashioned. In my mind old fashioned names are ones where you hear it and expect the person to be a senior citizen. Archie has the complete opposite problem and feels perpetually young like I hear it an expect the person to be a toddler. 

I think your right. Dorothy for Theodore and Jeanette, Elenor and Britney are the name of the Chipettes.

I didn’t get Veronica until just now 🤦🏼‍♀️ And I even have a friend who is a lifelong collector of the comic books!

• Useful 2
  • Laugh 8

34 minutes ago, Dani said:

As an avid reader of the Archie comics back in the day I got that one right away.  The others, not really.  I just hope they resist the temptation to go with Edith.  Aside from not liking the name it would be creepy to have a brother and sister named after a famous married couple.

• Like 5

Well, if they call her Frances (and Franny is the name picked for Kevin and Madison's baby on This Is Us, in keeping with the past few years' trend of picking more old-school names), they could call her "Baby" as a nickname. 😉

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

4 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Well, if they call her Frances (and Franny is the name picked for Kevin and Madison's baby on This Is Us, in keeping with the past few years' trend of picking more old-school names), they could call her "Baby" as a nickname. 😉

No one puts Meghan in a corner. 😁

Also Archie of Archie's Comics actually looks a bit like Harry.

7e0df5550d41e402e1265a6710dcc3b3--archie

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Dani said:

At my age, I find Archie is an old man's name .. Archie Bunker was old when I was young, for instance... and Archie's comics is old so he'd be older and greyer than Bunker.    

Archie conjures up an old, grey haired man with a giant cigar hanging out of his mouth, driving the downtown bus yelling at people to have their fares out and at the ready.  Or chasing kids off his lawn.  🤷‍♀️

22 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Aside from not liking the name it would be creepy to have a brother and sister named after a famous married couple.

I have distant relatives that named their first two kids Adam & Eve then went with a wild child kind of new agey name for their third.  It is so gross.  Now as an adult, Eve goes by a wholly unrelated nickname for obvious reasons.  

• Like 7
  • Surprise 3

Kate and Will were out and about today:

immay5.jpg

Not feeling those baggy pants on Kate at all. They need to be hemmed.

• Like 8

All she needs is a pointy hat and she could be teaching at Hogwarts.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 13

I was thinking she was a vest and a tie away from playing Annie Hall.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 10

https://people.com/royals/prince-harry-therapy-truman-show-dax-shepard-interview-armchair-expert/

I just listened to the entire podcast, and it’s well worth a listen. He talks across the spectrum, and it’s a really fun and informational listen. One thing that I thought was interesting is that they were asked to delay the release of this podcast by his people because they are already anticipating the frenzy of the British press, and they wanted to give the American press a chance to report on it as well.

Another fascinating part is when they talk about the press and moving to LA and then Santa Monica. There’s a great bit about what is “news,” who defines what is “news,” and why is something considered “news.” It seems as if Santa Monica was definitely the best choice they could’ve made.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Like 8

I am fascinated at how popular the names we older people think old-fashioned have become.  One of my son’s teenaged friends has come to the realization she is meant to be female and picked June as her name.  My children think it is the most beautiful name ever and can’t understand why we older folks are surprised at the choice.

I hope Meghan and Harry pick a name they love without any need to honor another relative, dead or alive.

• Like 17

36 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Kate and Will were out and about today:

immay5.jpg

Not feeling those baggy pants on Kate at all. They need to be hemmed.

Wow those are some bad pants. 

He looks like he's going to pull a string of scarves from a top hat. 

E1RQczFXoAAV3EE?format=jpg&name=900x900

This is a great series of photos from the event, including one of Wills playing ping pong.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO0XV40nuTH/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Happy Birthday Carl Philip.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I hope Meghan and Harry pick a name they love without any need to honor another relative, dead or alive.

If I know how to bet, this is were I'd place my money for the first name. But I think they will stick at least one family name in the middle.

BTW, since Veronica was mentioned, I'd like to point out that Betty is one of the many nicknames for Elizabeth. LOL

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 4

27 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I am fascinated at how popular the names we older people think old-fashioned have become.  

My great aunt was named Hermoine - a name I always thought of as an old fashioned "grandma" name.  No prizes to anyone  if they can guess why this name found some popularity in the recent past.  Thankfully my daughter agreed with me that while Hermoine might, arguably be a cool name, the inevitable "Minnie" as a nickname was less desirable.  For me that's the same with Archie - I don't dislike the name but it's a  "grandpa" name for me.  Someday I suppose names like Debbie, Susan and Linda (big baby boomer girl names)  will be popular again - maybe Harry and Meghan will pick one of those!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

All she needs is a pointy hat and she could be teaching at Hogwarts.

That must be why I liked the look. haha

• Like 4
  • Laugh 5

I'm surprised--and impressed--he was so candid about everything, including those infamous Las Vegas pictures, 

• Like 4

My two cents is that if they decide to name her after a family member they should go with Philip's badass mother Alice. I suspect they won't since they didn't with Archie. Starting when Kate was pregnant with Charlotte I decided that one of the royal babies should be named Bridget. No idea why I fixated on that name but I did. So far none have listened to me but I'll still hold out hope.

The podcast is excellent. Harry was far more open than I expected. I like how he went into detail on how his military service gave him so much that was lacking from his royal life. I also got a kick out of him and Orlando Bloom being text buddies on Neighborhood Paparazzi Watch.

• Like 8

Kate in wide-leg trousers is always a fail. Kate should stick to her trusty skinny pants look. 

Bad wide-leg capris:

kate-middleton-wide-leg-pants-280027-155

Good cigarette crop pants:

kate-middleton-2019-style-ss16.jpg

Bad bad bad:

kate-middleton-pants-trend-282994-157062

Good good good:

kate-middleton-1851-trust-jcrew.jpg

• Like 11

This perfectly demonstrates what e wrote about Kate's style a few pages ago--one minute, she absolutely nails it, the next, it's cringeworthy.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I am fascinated at how popular the names we older people think old-fashioned have become.  One of my son’s teenaged friends has come to the realization she is meant to be female and picked June as her name.  My children think it is the most beautiful name ever and can’t understand why we older folks are surprised at the choice.

I think it’s the result of growing up in the unique name generation. I grew up in the “Jennifer S or Jennifer B” and “No, the other Chris” generation. That led to the create your own name and spell it however you want generation. Resulting in old-fashioned names sounding refreshingly simple.

• Like 17

Capris should not be wide legged for anyone.   Otherwise they just look like you bought the wrong size pants and they were too short.   Capris should look like they meant to end where they do.

• Like 17

I think Kate gets its right most of the time.  I'm surprised that wide leg pants don't work on her figure. 

• Like 3

I like her look in that third pic, actually.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Yeah, I don't mind it either.  Actually surprised that purple and green work together.

• Like 4

I look at those pictures and want to know Kate's secret to keeping her shirt tucked in with her long torso.  I also have a long torso and gave up on tucking in my shirts years ago.  The shirts are almost always too short to stay put while I am moving.  I know one solution is bodysuits, but those don't work with a long torso.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I look at those pictures and want to know Kate's secret to keeping her shirt tucked in with her long torso.  I also have a long torso and gave up on tucking in my shirts years ago.  The shirts are almost always too short to stay put while I am moving.  I know one solution is bodysuits, but those don't work with a long torso.  

I think she might get them custom made. On the rare occasion she doesn't tuck it in, you can see how super-long her shirts are:

17045430-7337165-Later_in_the_morning_Ka

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I like the color combo--and I think the look works better because the capris are flow-y and look like a skirt. They remind me of gauchos that I wore in the 70s with boots.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

My two cents is that if they decide to name her after a family member they should go with Philip's badass mother Alice. I suspect they won't since they didn't with Archie. Starting when Kate was pregnant with Charlotte I decided that one of the royal babies should be named Bridget. No idea why I fixated on that name but I did. So far none have listened to me but I'll still hold out hope.

The podcast is excellent. Harry was far more open than I expected. I like how he went into detail on how his military service gave him so much that was lacking from his royal life. I also got a kick out of him and Orlando Bloom being text buddies on Neighborhood Paparazzi Watch.

It was so good.  I didn't expect to like him as much as I did.  It's true that, as I said earlier, I've always had a soft spot for Diana's boys, seeing them walk at that funeral was very moving.  However, even after the Oprah interview, he was a bit of an enigma.

This interview though?  I felt his true self came through several times.  He obviously adores Meghan, and she seems to have helped him quite a bit with his demons, and with realizing he can choose his own life.

When he talked about early traumas, being in the car with Diana as the paparazzi chased her and feeling so helpless, and so frustrated that he couldn't protect her?  Just heartbreaking.  I think many of us felt that he was trying to protect his wife, the way his mother was not protected, when he left.  This interview certainly confirmed that.  

I also liked that he was interested in others, he revealed more when talking to the host about the host's problems in life, compassion, understanding, and some obvious skills he's learned in his own therapy.  It wasn't just about him.  Liked the Afghanistan experiences too, and his talk about traveling to countries where people have so many challenges, his compassion, and understanding the limits of his own understanding of their issues.

I'm glad the host asked the question, "Shouldn't Meghan have known what she was getting into?"  His responses to that seemed so honest, and some of his frustrations as well.  When he said, unless you live here, it's hard to explain just how horrible the British Tabloids are.

My own thought here.  I doubt Harry would have ever left if he married a British Girl.  It took someone from outside that bubble to open his eyes to the fact that no, this does not have to be your life, you have choices.  That, and obviously, the treatment of Meghan was too similar to the treatment of his mother.  This time, he wasn't a kid in the back seat of the car, helpless.  This time he could do something, and he did.

ETA  I'm positive that some British girls would have rejected the entire rigmarole of things that were crushing Harry.  I think the main difference is that they would have already been well aware of the vicious press issues, which seem to be the main reason Harry felt he had to leave.  I'm just saying here that fresh eyes on the nonsense probably helped him see it more clearly.

16 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I'm surprised--and impressed--he was so candid about everything, including those infamous Las Vegas pictures, 

I agree, and it doesn't sound as if he has any regrets about the Oprah interview at all.  He seemed to show understanding about how his father was raised, and talked quite a bit about "breaking the cycle" of things we all may do, just because that's the way our parents did it, and their parents did it, on and on.

I think he will be a good dad, or at least try his best to be.

The show he and Oprah are doing sounds interesting, and important, especially now.  The talk of the lack of mental health acceptance, and availability, and stigma of it all was very interesting.  Also, it made me think of so many, as he says, having reactions to long lock downs due to Covid was something I hadn't thought of before, but on reflection, I think he's right.

Edited by Umbelina · Reason: the ETA
  • Like 7
  • Useful 4

2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I've heard people say that tucking the shirt into your underwear works but that sounds like such an easy solution to the problem that I am highly doubtful it would actually work.  🤷‍♀️

This outfit looks very 'luxe' to me; a descriptor that is thrown around and over-used too much but in this case, I think it's apt.  Those colours looked beautiful together on her and so did the rich looking fabric & textures that she mixed up. 

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I don't mind either look, it's like a midi skirt only with legs, I think it works for her figure.

Also, I am heartily sick of cigarette pants, and skinny jeans.

3 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

Yeah, I don't mind it either.  Actually surprised that purple and green work together.

I like both too.  Yes, Kate has absolutely fabulous legs, but both of the wide leg, "is that a skirt?" looks work for me, the high waist of them suits her.  If they had been more of a hip-hugger wide leg, I probably wouldn't like them.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I've heard people say that tucking the shirt into your underwear works but that sounds like such an easy solution to the problem that I am highly doubtful it would actually work.  🤷‍♀️

This outfit looks very 'luxe' to me; a descriptor that is thrown around and over-used too much but in this case, I think it's apt.  Those colours looked beautiful together on her and so did the rich looking fabric & textures that she mixed up. 

It's a bit of a mystery. Maybe interesting use of tape? Like she tapes the sides and front of the shirts to her thighs?

It could be tucking into the underwear, which does work, if the underwear are tight. You can still get some lumps though. I wonder if she has something custom done that turns every shirt into a body suit.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the podcast w/Prince Harry.  He is very well spoken.  I do see some people in the UK criticizing some elements of it - I don't know why.  But nothing he said seemed like criticism of his family.  He was just speaking his truth and the environment that he grew up, but I don't know I guess some folks in the UK just seem to want him to stop talking all together, which is unfair.

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

I really enjoyed the podcast w/Prince Harry.  He is very well spoken.  I do see some people in the UK criticizing some elements of it - I don't know why.  But nothing he said seemed like criticism of his family.  He was just speaking his truth and the environment that he grew up, but I don't know I guess some folks in the UK just seem to want him to stop talking all together, which is unfair.

It's like Pavlov's (rabid) dogs to me.  People who read the tabloids there have been trained to hate anything and everything Harry and/or Meghan do.  They've been fed utter garbage for so long, they like it now.

Meghan could save 5 kids from drowning in the ocean and the tabloids would accuse her of showing off, or say it is not a big deal because of course she knows how to swim, being from California.

• Like 17

The Royal Family has been dragged into the culture wars of the UK, particularly in England. It isn’t just about Harry and Meghan.

And I won’t say more than that.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, DkNNy79 said:

I've always thought Dax Shepard was a bit of an annoying meathead (and I've heard his podcast before, so this wasn't just based on his acting or general public persona), and this podcast episode didn't do too much to change that, but Harry himself uplifted this. Any moron who still thinks Meghan is constantly pulling his strings needs to listen to this. He does credit her for a few specific realizations/decisions, but you can clearly tell he's speaking his own, very well considered, thoughts here.  Shepard himself (a bit cringingly, admittedly, says right to Harry's face he didn't realize he was this intelligent. He's right, as cringey as his statement was. 

Shepard did bring up something I think may have, behind the scenes, been the reason Harry went to him for this podcast. I'd forgotten his and Kristen (Bell's) campaign to get the media to stop photographing children. That has to resonate with Harry.

As far as I'm concerned it was a win for Harry, whether or not Dax Shepard is a weirdo who admittedly (through his marriage to a far more famous person) echoes some of the same problems. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

Meghan could save 5 kids from drowning in the ocean and the tabloids would accuse her of showing off, or say it is not a big deal because of course she knows how to swim, being from California.

She probably pushed them into the water in the first place or paid them to jump in and PRETEND they were drowning.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 20

20 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

She probably pushed them into the water in the first place or paid them to jump in and PRETEND they were drowning.

Undoubtedly.

They probably weren't even really kids, but Meghan hired junior life guards who agreed to pretend to drown, who saved themselves in spite of Meghan.  Actually, they probably saved HER.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 16

21 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Undoubtedly.

They probably weren't even really kids, but Meghan hired junior life guards who agreed to pretend to drown, who saved themselves in spite of Meghan.  Actually, they probably saved HER.

And after they saved her, she was very ungrateful. 

• Laugh 16

2 minutes ago, Kromm said:

And after they saved her, she was very ungrateful. 

Also, her arms were bare, and Harry was nowhere in sight, so he's probably finally dumped the bitch, and is now begging William and Charles to take him back, AND to pay his attorney fees so he can divorce the gold digger.

• Laugh 14

OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.